undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Last issue gave us a completely different direction for this title, and though it’s been a controversial one, it’s caught my eye more than anything else since the new writer started. It felt like a chance to try something truly unique and different with the most outsider member of the Bat-family. But it helps if there’s been a foundation laid, so now we flash back to Batwoman seemingly in the thrall of something otherworldly about to administer a punishment to some petty vandals that would make Judge Dredd tell her she’s being harsh. Marc Andreyko’s never had a problem capturing what makes Kate Kane so effective when she’s under the cowl, and this issue, for the most part, is no different. The first part of the issue is alive with intrigue and flashes to other scenes that mimic the disorientation the main character eventually feels, letting the reader feel it along with her.

Georges Jeanty is probably best known for his pencils on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, so this is a lateral move for him, both thematically and visually. There’s an almost oppressive darkness and shadow over nearly all the panels, particularly those that take place outside. This isn’t an action-heavy issue, but when the action takes off, it looks great and when it doesn’t, the book still has a great sense of flow. Which is important when cutting back and forth between not only locations, but inner-thoughts and hallucinations. Karl Story’s inks calcify and clarify the various characters’ actions and reactions, as well as helping keep straight exactly who is who. Guy Major’s colors come through in a big way as well, giving the world depth and a sense of that foreboding darkness I mentioned earlier.

The Bad

It’s unusual to see Kathy both so caught off-guard and plainly emotional when she’s got her Batwoman duds on. Her interaction with Capt. Maggie Sawyer, and I get the history and current situation, is awkward where it shouldn’t be and gives the character a sense of desperation and weakness that feels beneath her. I get that she can be, and has been, emotional in the past, it’s one of the things I love about the character, but to have her lay the cards out on the table feels out of that character.

Speaking of out of character, while Jeanty’s visuals are generally good, the characters’ appearance and ages sometimes seem to vacillate between panels along with the detail level, rendering them mature women in one panel and giggling girls in the next. When he’s giving it his all, they look fantastic, but when he’s not, it shows unfortunately.

The Verdict

Last issue established a strong base, this one is building on top of it. I’m not a fan of every direction it’s going, but overall I still enjoyed this issue and, especially with what happens with Jason Blood on the last page, am up for whatever comes next. It’s an issue of extremes and when it’s up, it’s great, but when it’s down it is very so-so. The ups outweigh the downs, though, and if you’re a fan of Batwoman in and out of costume, I’d say this issue won’t steer you wrong.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this book is so cancelled next round

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I'm afraid so. Oh well, it had a good run and I still have volumes 1-4 in hardcover. I can always read those again. I also have Elegy.

Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss the artist.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I'm surprised that, with the lagging sales, they went with Jeanty as the new series artist rather than someone a bit more "out there" in the same way that J H Williams was. It's pretty obvious that, regardless of what you thought of the writing during that first run, people were mainly buying Batwoman for the art. While Jeanty is doing a decent job, he's turning in the most straight-forward layouts and design of the entire series so far, and that just isn't the best move for this book right now.

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's Justice League review?? It was great!!

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Guerraa

Great review. I agree with almost everything said. This issue was so much better than the last one. I still don't have high hopes for this comic down the road though. Eventually they're going to get into all that magic mumbo jumbo and space travel that was such a turn off from the last issue. My favorite parts from this comic have been watching Kate deal with personal issues with Maggie, her dad, and even her ex that just returned to Gotham recently. Don't know how much room there will be for that if she's running to space with Clayface, Ragman, and Etrigan.

tim_mik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

And with that @undeadpool, I end my sub to this book for the first time since the New 52. Your complaints about Jeanty's page to page face issues are spot on, just like his time on Buffy, and I feel like Andreyko has lost the voice of the main characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.