Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Would you consider Batman as Adaptive?

GUNaDAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By GUNaDAM

Recently I attempted to update Batman's power list by adding "Adaptive" to it. My submission was denied, and it was suggested for me to poll other users regarding the matter.

My argument is that adaptive relates to the hero's ability to adapt to almost any situation: be it in a fight or an environment. Sure, there are different levels of adaptation: such as Mystique's ability to adapt to her environment via shapeshifting. But, I noticed that some of the top Adaptive heroes are: Spike, Shikamaru, Captain Picard, and Kenshin (all of which don't have a supernatural means of adapting).

And I figured that if heroes like Shikamaru are considered adaptive, then why not Batman? As a master of disguise and of thinking on his feet, wouldn't Batman be one of the best examples of an adaptive hero?

But, that's just my opinion. What does everyone else have to say? What are your definitions of adaptive? Is it an ability that only metahumans have, or can normal people display it?

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Eternal Chaos

It is arguable. I can see how he's adaptive but it's not exactly a physical trait of his so that wouldn't really count. His body isn't changing to fit the scenario, he's equipping himself so that wouldn't exactly count.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Having looked at the rankings, there are a few people I would say don't have that power. I would say the power refers to exactly that, a power that allows them to adapt to changes in their situation. Batman and some of the others are adapting through a change in strategy, which is more an intellect/tactical thing.

GUNaDAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GUNaDAM

So, would most people agree that Adaptive should be limited to only metahumans with DNA-altering abilities (like Shapeshifting)? And if that's the case, all the human heroes (like Captain Picard and Shikamaru) should have adaptive edited out of their power list, right?

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
    Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I would say so, though my concern is that it just becomes another word for shapeshifting.

Avatar image for heart_of_infinity
    Heart of Infinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Heart of Infinity

I would say a clear definition of the power is in order

on a personal basis I would say batman should get the adaptive if a character like shikamaru has it and he just adapts to situations by battle strategy

Adaptive is a generalized word. Normal humans can adapt to the enviroment changes such as i.e. putting on a jacket when it gets cold.

Batman does not have any superpowers yet we list other abilities like stamina and insanley rich into superpowers (well the superpower list should be changed to attribute list anyway)

If we agree that adapt shouldnt be on the list since its too much of a generalization and you want to change the category to natural biological adaptation then thats different untill then batman should get the ability

I am going by the definition that would be given in the dictionary

GUNaDAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GUNaDAM

^^^ I agree.

GUNaDAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GUNaDAM

That's true. What would differentiate "Adaptive" from "Shapeshifting" then? What makes adaptive different? Could adaptive be a human-based ability, one which is equivalent to a metahuman's shapeshifting power?

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#9  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Having looked at the rankings, there are a few people I would say *don't* have that power. I would say the power refers to exactly that, a power that allows them to adapt to changes in their situation. Batman and some of the others are adapting through a change in strategy, which is more an intellect/tactical thing."

I agree with this. His way of adapting is a mental thing that I would think falls under his intellect rather than a separate power.

I wouldn't even call pure shape shifters "adaptive" as there's already a shape shifting power. I would say characters like The Fury, Cyborg Superman, Darwin, Lifeguard, etc are adaptive because they can literally come up with new powers that directly respond to whatever situation they're in. Another reason I'd use that power for them is because they might not keep the power or change they've made so adaptive can stay there for the long term instead of adding and removing powers for every fight they have where they've adapted differently and come up with a new set of powers.

GUNaDAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GUNaDAM

^^Nicely put.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Sling Shot

Eternal Chaos says:

"It is arguable. I can see how he's adaptive but it's not exactly a physical trait of his so that wouldn't really count. His body isn't changing to fit the scenario, he's equipping himself so that wouldn't exactly count."

You stole my Gredel Prime avatar. lol (not really lol)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.