Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why Joker didn't laugh when he killed Sarah Essen?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Squalleon

Seriously why he had a bad mood its been bugging me for months!She actually did what he expected so whats the problem?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Is this some crap written by Snyder? Just stop reading it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Squalleon

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It was in No mans land!ten years ago :-P

also why such hate!

He is overrated but he is not bad either

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Squalleon: Ah, I still have to read NML. It's sitting on my shelf, atm. Sorry I can't be of any help.  
    I thought Snyder was just recycling someone else's work again.

He's awful >=T 
    ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ngroove

Because that would be predictable, to James, to Batman, to Gotham police, to us.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By chasereis

@Squalleon: I honestly dont remember that part too much, but I remember the issue's writing felt rushed because it was so close to the end of no mans land. However my memory may be flawed as you stated it was a host of years ago. GREAT storyline, it really put batman back on my radar.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By End_Boss

@FadeToBlackBolt: Someone's opinionated! What do you have against Snyder? Didn't like Court of Owls, or is it something to do with DotF?

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skewer

It is out of character for joker not to laugh. It's like batman using a machine gun.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ngroove

As I said, Joker going in glee, would be EXPECTED.

EXPECTED: Joker cracking up after shooting Sarah, still cracking up maniacally after Commish and co. catches up to him, probably even kill him within a few panels, out of defense for everybody, not to mention the babies; since a body is already down on the scene, what say he won't try to shoot another?

UNEXPECTED: Joker, realizing "No Man's Land" has gone much too far enough, despite shooting Sarah, walks out into the open, without a crack, seemingly a rare moment of self-awareness, actually walking to James, and "I Surrender", much to James' and even Batman's complete surprise, for once.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By batshrine

The reason why he didn't laugh when he killed Sarah Essen is because...ITS NOT CANON!!! She never existed so therefore he couldn't have not laughed when he killed her when she didn't exist!

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crom-Cruach

@Squalleon said:

Seriously why he had a bad mood its been bugging me for months!She actually did what he expected so whats the problem?

The reason he didn't laugh is the same reason that sometimes in comedies there is an actual serious moment.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By JakeN7

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squalleon: Ah, I still have to read NML. It's sitting on my shelf, atm. Sorry I can't be of any help. I thought Snyder was just recycling someone else's work again. He's awful >=T

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

according to Batman: The Ultimate Guide,he just didnt enjoy it.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By reignmaker

To me, this is one of the few examples that demonstrate that deep down the Joker knows what he's doing is wrong. He knows that the smile, laughter, and jokes are all a great facade that fuels the hatred within him. And every now and again, the Joker shows his true face. And that's where we see the dark, depressed, and utterly hopeless side of his character. We saw a bit of this in the Killing Joke, and this dark moment here captures that as well. Notice, he reverted back to the jokes and laughter when he was facing down Batman and the Commish.

True evil = when you know full well what you're doing is wrong, but you continue to do it anyway for the hell of it
    True evil = when you know full well what you're doing is wrong, but you continue to do it anyway for the hell of it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.