Why batman should not kill his Villains

#1 Posted by Zakar23 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Now a lot of people make this argument that batman should just kill the Joker that by doing this one act he would make everyone's life better, but think if batman were to kill all of his rouge's like 2-Face,Riddler,Penguin,Poison ivy,Mr Freeze,Scarecrow e.t.c

I mean they have killed a lot of people just as much the Joker has.

Batman Rouges are among the best comic book villans of all time. if he were to start killing every Dangerous psychopath in Gotham,would you really want to read Batman stories

Now Im not saying this from a philosophical point that by killing People Batman would become just as bad the criminals he captures,Im saying this from a general point that no one would want read batman comics without his villains and writers understand this,Joker was to supposed to be killed off in his first appearance in but he was brought back because the writes knew they could profit from this.

Now this is Just my opinion you don't have to with agree with it dont want to

#2 Posted by Rubear (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Chush.

#3 Posted by WordsThatKill (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@zakar23: I agree that Batman comics would loose their appeal if he just killed his villains. It's interesting to me how initially the writers thought recurring villains might make Batman seem weak because he couldn't defeat them- but now the fact that he won't kill them is kind of what makes him so strong. He has the power, and probably the guts, to actually kill them (something most people, if able, would probably do), yet his strength of will to stick to his morals, and not kill them, makes him such an interesting character.

#4 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@wordsthatkill: I agree.

Also because Batman wouldn't really last long if all of his villains were dead. I mean, come on. Dude beat them all already at least twice. They'd ALL be dead. Batman wouldn't be Batman, he's be Bruce Wayne back to his normal life.

#5 Posted by WordsThatKill (14 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: Aha, yeah. Shortest comic series ever. Although that might be funny to see. Bruce Wayne sat in the bat cave twiddling his thumbs because he's got nothing to do.

#6 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

Also because Batman wouldn't really last long if all of his villains were dead. I mean, come on. Dude beat them all already at least twice. They'd ALL be dead. Batman wouldn't be Batman, he's be Bruce Wayne back to his normal life.

Well not all Batman stories involve recuring vilains, so he's still have things to do. Also not all vilains deserve to be killed. Some should be helped such as Solomon Grundy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#8 Posted by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

He should turn all his villains into Robins.

#9 Posted by adrikito (331 posts) - - Show Bio

If Batman kill the Joker and any enemy... This is the end.. No more Joker/Croc/Bane, etc.....

And if all his villains revive after his death, is something stupid kill these characters and bored..

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
#10 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman killing in the first place is a stupid idea.

#11 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman killing in the first place is a stupid idea.

How so ?

#12 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Because it's just not him. And that goes completely against his will and character and you may as well call him The Punisher x10000.

#13 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@batmanplusjay said:

Well not all Batman stories involve recuring vilains, so he's still have things to do. Also not all vilains deserve to be killed. Some should be helped such as Solomon Grundy.

No, he wouldn't have things to do. Since none of his villains can recurr. When they're gone, they're gone(except Ra'as but he's not even a threat to Batman and after a while Ra'as will learn he can't beat Batman and duck out of Gotham). And some of his villains may not deserve being killed, but what would Batman care of it? He'd be a crazed killer looking at them as just another worthless villain.

Batmans restrictions/rules plays a huge part to make him the cool character he is.

#14 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@batmanplusjay said:

No, he wouldn't have things to do. Since none of his villains can recurr. When they're gone, they're gone(except Ra'as but he's not even a threat to Batman and after a while Ra'as will learn he can't beat Batman and duck out of Gotham). And some of his villains may not deserve being killed, but what would Batman care of it? He'd be a crazed killer looking at them as just another worthless villain.

Batmans restrictions/rules plays a huge part to make him the cool character he is.

Can you read ? I gave a reason why he would still have things to do ! So don't say no !

#15 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Because it's just not him. And that goes completely against his will and character and you may as well call him The Punisher x10000.

True and why wouldn't that be cool ?

But let's assume, it is not less stupid to kill than to save a mass murderer from falling of a building and almost getting killed in the prosses !

#16 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@batmanplusjay said:
@jb681131 said:
@batmanplusjay said:

Can you read ? I gave a reason why he would still have things to do ! So don't say no !

And I gave a reason why he wouldn't. ._.

#17 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio
@jb681131 said:
@batmanplusjay said:

True and why wouldn't that be cool ?

Because it goes completely against his will and it isn't him. And his parents were killed. That's an emotional and strong reason why he also shouldn't kill. Why would him killing be good, in ANY way?

But let's assume, it is not less stupid to kill than to save a mass murderer from falling of a building and almost getting killed in the prosses !

It would for one make Batman be a crazed killer himself and it would make him a murderer. And because just because Batman doesn't kill, doesn't mean the GCPD doesn't put Joker in the electric chair or kill him by lethal injection. Batman brought all of his victims in multiple times, what's stopped the GCPD from killing them? Don't try and pin everything on Batman like it's his fault why the GCPD doesn't follow their OWN rules.

#18 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

The "revolving door" argument is weak and tries to bring real life consequences to a comic book universe. There's a revolving door at Arkham because writers have stories to tell with characters that have editorial immortality. Batman's job is to save lives, stop crime, and put criminals behind bars. Pinning the Joker, Scarecrow, etc. from escaping Arkham on Batman is ridiculous.

I'm not saying Batman should go out of his way to save the Joker's life if he's about to die. That's where he should draw the line.

#19 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: It has never been the police who does the lethal injections or the electric chair !

And Gotham does not have the death penalty.

So I don't see what is wrong with the GCPD !

#20 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: So what ? New vilains can't appear sometimes ? Couldn't Batman travel to pursue his mission ? Batman could always have things to do. Those are all possible probabilities !

#21 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@batmanplusjay: It has never been the police who does the lethal injections or the electric chair !

And Gotham does not have the death penalty.

So I don't see what is wrong with the GCPD !

...I like how you named two issues in the GCPD/Gotham but still don't see the issue with that city. And it makes no freaking sense either. Why is it when Batman first came out in his first year, Gordon and the SWAT/police was always shooting at Batman for helping, but when Joker's in sight they always "Oh! There's joker! Put him behind bars!" LIKE WTF?! WHY SHOOT AT A COMRADE?! Dude is helping you and you shoot at him but don't shoot at Joker? WTF?!

So them having no death penalty is BS unless they only stick friends in the electric chairs.

#22 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@batmanplusjay: So what ? New vilains can't appear sometimes ? Couldn't Batman travel to pursue his mission ? Batman could always have things to do. Those are all possible probabilities !

Why would Batman go out of his way to travel to do his mission when his mission is protecting Gotham. It's like me saying "I'm gonna protect my job today, let me go to walmart". That's the OPPOSITE of doing your mission. And no new villains won't appear because if they were they would have already. And Batman woulda just killed them too. His career would NOT last long.

None of those are possible probabilities.

#23 Edited by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: Well yes he would if Gotham had no more criminality !

I also guess you have never read original comics from Bob Kane and Bill Fingers. Batman travelled often outside Gotham.

#24 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba89dccd4593
#25 Posted by deactivated-5ba89dccd4593 (353 posts) - - Show Bio

While it would seem logical, Batman would lose a lot of his appeal if he started killing every villain he found.

And who wants to read a Batman comic without any Batman rogues.

#26 Posted by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in a comic book I'd kill all my villains, I wouldn't care the readers think.

#27 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in a comic book I'd kill all my villains, I wouldn't care the readers think.

So you'd be a vilain too.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
#28 Posted by Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Batman must kill Joker or anyone of his enemy... but... there are no other prison in the world that can old a bunch o non-powered criminal por a few years? Flash, Superman, and all the others, where keep their enemys? Some Argus Prison? Please Batman, give Joker and the others to them! Stop putting them in the same Arkham Asylum from where anyone can escape in 3 days!!!

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
#29 Posted by Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@the_waffle said:

So you'd be a vilain too.

And he would be The Punisher

#30 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3689 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@batmanplusjay: Dumber than you it's impossible.

Oh please you give yourself too much credit. No one's as dumb as you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
#32 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Because it completely destroys a major part of the character that has lasted 70+ years, the whole point of him not killing is that once he starts, he wouldn’t be able to stop and other heroes would probably turn against him. Alfred would probably turn against him as well. It is a core aspect of Batman that makes him interesting and making him into a killer just turns him into basically the Punisher or a knock-off of the Shadow. Besides if he started killing, he should kill all his villains immediately.

#33 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@b4tm4nish3r3: True but like I sayd, saving at the risk of your life mass murderers, isn't that also stupid ? And by the past Batman has killed.

#34 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Only villain I could ever see Batman killing would be Joker in retribution. Or Gordon honestly killing him would work as well, in which case Batman could kill Ra's (again).

#35 Posted by Kar-El (229 posts) - - Show Bio

This subject was actually kinda touched on by DC during Knightfall. When Azrael(Jean Paul Valley) took over being Batman after Bruce got his back broken by Bane he was a far more brutal and crazier Batman. He only killed 1 of his villians who was a cereal killer but he beat the other villians like he was trying to kill them , especially with his claws and bat-shurikens which he used to draw blood out of criminals quite often when he fought them.

Batman not killing killers was always stupid to me. I understand that DC doesn't wanna kill off classic villians but it's just retarded that he beats them, puts them in Arkham and they escape like 4 or 5 times a year. This subject is exactly why i stopped reading Spiderman as a kid, because he was doing the same thing in the mid 90s with Carnage and other supervillian murderers.

#36 Posted by devildog8774 (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he would not stop, because he is on the edge and walks a fine line between hero and villain

#37 Edited by Hyperion_X (366 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never much of a Batman fan for this very reason. Half of his enemies are vicious cereal killers and Batman repeatedly just beats them up, has them imprisioned and they escape...over and over. I lost interest in Spiderman back in the 90s for the exact same reason. It gets very dumb after a while...here you have someone so passionate about saving innocent lives but yet he refuses to get rid of killers and they just end up killing again and again. So the police can kill bad guys but superheroes can't? I can understand Superman doing this because he's seen as the ultimate example for other heroes but it makes no sense for anyone else unless they'e following Superman's lead which Bruce is not. Hell, even Superman killed an alternate universe General Zod and his followers when they went too far

#38 Edited by gwydionx (2 posts) - - Show Bio

See: the entirety of the Jason Todd / Red Hood plot line.

No Caption Provided

But seriously. If Batman killed his villains, there would be no comic. Not because there wouldn't be any villains left - the writers are more creative than that. But it wouldn't be Batman.

#39 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Batman should kill not only his villains, but the entire DC multiverse.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.