Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why are these Batman trades so expensive?

KingHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KingHype

I'm trying to slowly, but surely collect a timeline of the post crisis and Post flashpoint Batman stories in order and such.

Obviously the more popular trades such as Year One, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Dark Victory and such are all cheap easy to find. Obviously Scott Snyder's run on Batman is also easy to obtain. I'm just buying the boxsets.

SADLY!

Some of these other trades are ridiculously expensive and I can't tell if its just amazon or is it cause they are out of print at the moment?

Batman: Shaman -

Batman and the Monster Men-

Batman and the Mad Monk

Batman Prey

Batman Four of a Kind (I think that's in there to?)

That's about it.

A lot of the ones by Matt Wagner are really hefty in price except Faces. Are these books known to be more expensive? The volume of Batman Prey they had on there actually looked like a new printing - it even had the new DC logo on it, but that could of been just for kindle edition. Any chance DC will do reprints at all of these trades? Sorry to ask or make the thread, but it has thrown a wrench in my collecting slightly.

Are they cheaper in comic stories if anyone remembers picking up any of these there? Any information would help! :D

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Firstly, where are you from? I'm asking this because it depends in which country you live. Here, in The Netherlands it's hard to find older comics.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kinghype: It is like all. If it hasn't been reprinted since a long time and it's a good product/read, then the price will rise.

I don't know where you live, but the places to look are:

You can also much easily buy the digital editions.

Then you can look at collected editions or editions from other printers such as Panini europe.

KingHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for dealthy_hallows
    Dealthy_Hallows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya man I feel your pain. Unfortunately, Shaman and Dark Moon Rising (Monster Men + Mad Monk) are extremely rare to come by. There publishing was terminated only a few years after the release date so there is only a limited amount available.

Like above your cheapest bet is amazon or eBay. You could hit up garage sales and possibly get them for fairly cheap if the owner doesn't know their value. Also, try a local goodwill or salvation army, they often have a good book supply there. I have came across a few graphic novels.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kinghype Combination of having come out so long ago, being out of print, and there not ever having been multiple releases of some of the trades to begin with.

If you don't care about them being collected into one trade i've seen single issues of Shaman on eBay multiple times. Here's one example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-LEGENDS-DARK-KNIGHT-DC-COMICS-1989-SERIES-0-1-2-3-5-SHAMAN-VIEWPOINT-/112255276629?hash=item1a22ef9655:g:-5YAAOSwcUBYJmWp

Shaman pisses me off though, because DC actually had it set to release like early last year, iirc, and then pulled it without an explanation. There's a lot of old Batman stories they need to release more of though, while at the same time they have been releasing updated editions with a lot of older comics.

KingHype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KingHype

@eto@dealthy_hallows@nathaniel_christopher@jb681131 Thanks for the suggestions and info! I'm also seeking some others that are important to the Batman mythos even if they aren't canon to post-crisis stuff or no longer...more bronze age I think they are.

Batman: Strange Apparations is absurdly expensive....like one seventy dollars or so. I'm surprised that's not been reprinted- I thought it was fairly important story.

No Caption Provided

On the bright side Tales of the Demon is only thirty dollars or so...you all think that's worth it? Only about fifteen dollars more than your average trade?

No Caption Provided

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jb681131
    Dealthy_Hallows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dealthy_Hallows

@kinghype: $30?? Damn I bought that a few years ago and it was like 15 bucks. Shit keeps getting more expensive.

Personally I like Tales of the Demon a lot. Ra's is one of my favorite characters though. If you want to read the history about one of the greatest batman villains and how batman and Ra's relationship began, it's definitely worth the read.

If your on a budget, there are definitely other batman comics that are more important

Dealthy_Hallows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kinghype: BTW if you looking for a good story Gotham by Gaslight is one of my favorite non-cannon books. It's super short and cheap, and the story line is pretty cool

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, good luck finding Strange Apparitions. Never come across a person that read it who didn't like it, but DC has yet to reprint it. Again though, a good portion of their Batman material remains out of print, including a bunch of other Ra's stories.

Pick up Tales of the Demon if you can though. Really good book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.