Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Who is your least favorite Batman villain?

Darkknight819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Penguin for me..

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Least Favorite Major Batman villain or just Least Favorite Batman Villain? Because if its the latter then it'd be some D-lister like Condiment King.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Least favorite A lister, to make things tougher for me. Hmm... Mad Hatter I guess/ Or Scarecrow/ Or Mr Freeze.

Not so tough after all I guess. Main problem is I have not read many good stories with them (actually any at all)

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hush

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrucebayne:

I really like Hush,

He kinda makes use of his knowledge of who Batman is in his plans. The villain that connects the two parts. Do not understand why so many people hate him so much

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@darkknight819: Did you read: Penguin: pain & prejudice ?

@lillion1: @wrucebayne: Well it really depends what you've read. Paul Dini's run used him very well in multiple stories.

@lillion1: I therefor recommand you to read:

* Batman: Snow

* Batman, the dark knight: Cycle of violance

* Batman, the dark knight: Mad

As for my choice, I would agree that Mad Hatter is anoying with his Lewis Carol's obsetion.

Ra's Al Ghul never really appealed to me. For me he doesn't fit.

The worst is Harley Quinn since she bacame what she's now (start of New 52 I

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lillion1

@jb681131: Not only Paul Dini did great with him. The new 52 story Batman Eternal did great as well. From a villain that knows the identity of Batman, that is kinda the best laid out plan of destroying him. Wonder why Ra's al Ghul never tried that, or you know, Talia at Batman Inc. Since Bruce kinda created a failsafe of people revealing his identity somewhere in the Batman Inc storyline (or was it The Return?) by spreading rumors and making these kind of revelations seem like trolls, attacking his wealth and weaponry is the most strategic way of taking him out.

Still gonna read Batman Snow, Pain and Prejudice and your suggestions on Batman the Dark Knight stories.

Currently re reading some stories from my guide to see if something has to be fixed or not. Also trying to find Batman annual #14 on comixology to see if I can replace that with The Long Halloween, since at the end of that story Falconi dies, while in new 52 continuity he should be alive cause of Batman Eternal. And looking for a Dick Grayson origin story that is not connected to Dark Victory in case Batman annual 14 fits better in my guide.

I agree with you on the Harley Quin stories in her series. But do like her a lot in Suicide Squad. Probably cause I like villain focused stories.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even Paul Dini can save Hush from being a mess of a character.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrucebayne: How is he more a mess than Mad Hatter or The court of Owls or Azrael ?? They all come out of nowhere with odd pasts.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mutant God

Right now Harley, just because they are making her out to be a hero, ugghh. But out of all time I have to say Killer Moth, I don't see anything good between him and Batman.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OrangeBat

Harley Quinn.

Hush.

Harley Quinn.

Calendar Man.

Harley Quinn.

Cluemaster.

Harley Quinn.

Great White Shark.

Harley Quinn.

David Cain.

Harley Quinn.

The Ventriloquist.

Did I mention Harley Quinn?

harleyhot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harley Quinn, of course !

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Harley Quinn

Hush

Lincoln March

Mr Freeze

Great White Shark

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

• Harley Quinn
    • Lincoln March
    • Scarface (at times)
    • Maxie Zeus
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lillion1 said:

@wrucebayne:

I really like Hush,

He kinda makes use of his knowledge of who Batman is in his plans. The villain that connects the two parts. Do not understand why so many people hate him so much

That's the problem,without knowledge of Batman's identity he's suck 100%,as it is he sucks 90%. If Hush was the only villain with knowledge of Bruce's secret he may have gotten a pass but there's a whole line standing right around the block.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Victor Zsasz only worked as a one off villain . Any more use of him is just stupid.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hush

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Thing is, Ra's doesn't make use of it, the Joker doesn't acknowledge the Bruce Wayne persona, Riddler doesn't do anything with it, Bane wants to beat Batman not Bruce etc. Hush is the only villain that attacks Batman by attacking Bruce Wayne. What other villain you know that tried to destroy the weapon caches, or attacked Bruce psychologically by reminding him of his failures while raising Jason Todd?

I agree that Batman Hush did have some problems, but Hush the character does do something no other villain does. It is what makes him a great villain in my opinion.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

@wrucebayne: How is he more a mess than Mad Hatter or The court of Owls or Azrael ?? They all come out of nowhere with odd pasts.

Every newly introduced villain comes out of nowhere. It's called building a broader universe.

odd =/= mess

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like Penguin and Riddler always get the short end of the stick when they’ve had some pretty good stories, especially Penguin, I think anyone needs to check out Penguin Triumphant or how Alan Grant used him. Penguin is up there with with the likes of the Joker or Two-Face for me.

I’d have to say Hush because he started off as a bad character. If even the likes of Dini can’t do anything with him, there’s a major problem.

wrucebayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wrucebayne

@b4tm4nish3r3: I'd say Penguin really took off as a character due to his role in No Man's Land, but Grant did use him very well. Can't go wrong with the Grant/Breyfogle combo.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lillion1: Uh, Hugo Strange ring any bells?

He does all of what you mentioned and more, plus he doesn't have a stupid motivation for doing it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By entropy_aegis

@lillion1: That makes each and everyone of them unique to an extent, besides Hush's discovery of the identity itself was stupid. Riddler goes to him for a cure for cancer but Hush doesn't have any, then Riddler find a lazarus pit, baths in it and realizes Bruce is Batman then he goes and tells his doctor about it LMAO.

I would love to have whatever Loeb smokes.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killer Croc

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Calendar Man is dull bread..Straight up.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Claw

Knight101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Penguin on this one. It's beyond ridiculous that villain has gained as much popularity as he has.

BibbyBoxx2219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lillion1: That makes each and everyone of them unique to an extent, besides Hush's discovery of the identity itself was stupid. Riddler goes to him for a cure for cancer but Hush doesn't have any, then Riddler find a lazarus pit, baths in it and realizes Bruce is Batman then he goes and tells his doctor about it LMAO.

I would love to have whatever Loeb smokes.

After reading and loving Hush I just realized how silly that sounds.

BibbyBoxx2219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a scrub
    What a scrub

Crazy Quilt.

He sucks
    He sucks

Or that Flamingo guy from Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin series.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Again, I admit the Hush storyline did have some problems, but the 3 stories about him written by Paul Dini were great, as was his story in Batman Eternal. He is the only villain I know that attacked Bruce in that way, even Talia did not do it for some reason. And that is his thing, other villains that attack Batman want to finish Batman off, just look at Ra's al Ghul, or Bane. Hush wants to destroy both personas of Bruce at the same time, and he is making use of his knowledge to do so.

Someone mentioned Hugo Strange, he is not intrested in destroying Batman, he wants to analyze him, replace him in some storylines and overall I find him to be less intresting that Hush.

Motivations of Hush are illogical? Read Heart of Hush, one of the best motivations for hating Bruce I can think off. At least his grudge makes sense.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lillion1 said:

@entropy_aegis: Again, I admit the Hush storyline did have some problems, but the 3 stories about him written by Paul Dini were great, as was his story in Batman Eternal. He is the only villain I know that attacked Bruce in that way, even Talia did not do it for some reason. And that is his thing, other villains that attack Batman want to finish Batman off, just look at Ra's al Ghul, or Bane. Hush wants to destroy both personas of Bruce at the same time, and he is making use of his knowledge to do so.

Someone mentioned Hugo Strange, he is not intrested in destroying Batman, he wants to analyze him, replace him in some storylines and overall I find him to be less intresting that Hush.

Motivations of Hush are illogical? Read Heart of Hush, one of the best motivations for hating Bruce I can think off. At least his grudge makes sense.

Hugo Strange is ten times more interesting than Hush. He figured out more and more about Batman through analyzing him and his methods, whereas Hush completely relied on Riddler telling him who Batman was. His relationship and feelings towards Batman are also more complex than that. For one, he does want to destroy Batman. However, he is also fascinated by him and his motivations. He himself is interested in attaining the same dark power that Batman has, which drives him to emulate and desire to be him in certain ways. He then hates Batman as well, because he is unable to be him. For all his intelligence he also has a very warped view of Batman and what exactly it means to be Batman, which is seen in Batman Prey, where during his analysis of the Dark Knight he manages to get some facts right, but greatly misinterprets various things about him and his reasons for being Batman. Yet he also interprets Batman in a way that makes sense from the perspective of a person who doesn't have an in-depth knowledge of him. I'd take a Strange story over a Hush one any day. Also, Strange directly attacked both Batman and Bruce Wayne, years before Hush was created, so that's not something unique to Hush at all. He also attacked him psychologically, not through Jason Todd (Since this was before Todd had even entered Batman's life), but through his parents.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker

Harley Quinn

Catwoman

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: So you wrote an entire threat, explaining stuff about Hugo Strange that had nothing to do with my topic. I never said Strange was a bad villain, I said he and Hush are completely different, which is something you did not disprove with your comment. They both attempt to do something different.

And your problem about Hush is the way he found out the identity of Batman? I do understand why Batman Hush was not a great story because of some gaping plotholes, but that does not change the fact that in every other story Hush had quite an unique way of fighting Batman, both psychologically, economically and strategically.

Not counting what Paul Dini did with him (which was great) but look at Batman Eternal. Destroying Batman by destroying his weapon caches, bankrupting Bruce and turning the city against him. In what way is this bad? And in what way is this comparable to Hugo Strange? They are completely different villains, with different methodologies and motivations. And his motivations have been explained really well, Heart of Hush did it in such a way that Hush changed from the soulless character from Batman Hush into one of the best villains Batman has.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lillion1 said:

@nathaniel_christopher: So you wrote an entire threat, explaining stuff about Hugo Strange that had nothing to do with my topic. I never said Strange was a bad villain, I said he and Hush are completely different, which is something you did not disprove with your comment. They both attempt to do something different.

And your problem about Hush is the way he found out the identity of Batman? I do understand why Batman Hush was not a great story because of some gaping plotholes, but that does not change the fact that in every other story Hush had quite an unique way of fighting Batman, both psychologically, economically and strategically.

Not counting what Paul Dini did with him (which was great) but look at Batman Eternal. Destroying Batman by destroying his weapon caches, bankrupting Bruce and turning the city against him. In what way is this bad? And in what way is this comparable to Hugo Strange? They are completely different villains, with different methodologies and motivations. And his motivations have been explained really well, Heart of Hush did it in such a way that Hush changed from the soulless character from Batman Hush into one of the best villains Batman has.

You mentioned you find him to be less interesting than Hush, I was listing the reasons I find Strange to be more interesting than Hush, along with correcting you on a few points you were incorrect about regarding Strange and his motives, such as the idea that he doesn't want to destroy Batman. So yeah, my post did relate to what you said, specifically regarding the character of Hugo Strange.

That's one of the problems I have with Hush that I listed. Not sure why you'd assume it's the only problem I have with the character.

In fact, you're arguing for different things that I never disagreed with anyways lol. For example, I never made any comment regarding Hush's motives. I also didn't say he attacked Batman in the same way that Strange did. You mentioned that Hush was the only villain you knew who attacked and wanted to destroy both Batman and Bruce Wayne and I corrected you on that in regards to Hugo Strange. You asked earlier about what other villains attacked Batman in a psychological manner as well, mentioning Hush's use of Jason Todd, and I simply pointed out Strange as one such villain, utilizing the Waynes.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't know if she counts as a 'villain' anymore, but I have no love for Catwoman.

Avatar image for sistergrimm2099
    SisterGrimm2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

Hard to say. Imo they all have their ups and downs with writers but if I absolutely had to choose I would say Hush.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By MakkyD

I find positives with all the major villains, even Killer Moth.

However, I haven't read much with Hush but from what I've seen of him he seems like Hugo Strange with a more generic motivation.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lillion1

@nathaniel_christopher: I apologize then. Lets agree to this agree on Hush. I find him to be one of the more interesting ones, while he sucks in your opinion. Taste differs. I also have to admit I haven't read many Hugo Strange stories (Strange Aparitions and Prey are the only ones)

easywolf32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By easywolf32

Penguin, Riddler, Old Jokers..latest was improved. Hope these 3 don't show up in movies anymore, especially first 2. 2 face also. Boring mere mortals.

DrArcania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DrArcania

I was say Red Claw. When i watch it again a little, i change my opinion about her !!! Can say that she is now one of my top 3 most favorite Batman villains :)

Least favorite place going to... let be Hush. I still can catch sense why he hate Bruce ??? Bruce parents die, he want it for self parents... start hating Bruce !? WTF ???

Jack-B-Nimble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riddler

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easywolf said:

Penguin, Riddler, Old Jokers..latest was improved. Hope these 3 don't show up in movies anymore, especially first 2. 2 face also. Boring mere mortals.

@easywolf said:

I wouldn't like to see any more movies with them, but they are far from the worst Batman vilains ?? 3 of my top 10 Batman story hold on of them:

• Dark knight, dark city
    • Joker by Azzarello
    • Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
    • Batman: Face the face
    LilTWill2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LilTWill2000

Mad Hatter...

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 The_Kidd  Online
    • Hush
    • The Court of Owls
    • Bane
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:
    @easywolf said:

@easywolf said:

I wouldn't like to see any more movies with them, but they are far from the worst Batman vilains ?? 3 of my top 10 Batman story hold on of them:

• Dark knight, dark city
    • Joker by Azzarello
    • Penguin: Pain and Prejudice
    • Batman: Face the face

Face the Face is one of your top 10 Batman stories?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.