Which writer has had the longest run on Batman?

#1 Posted by Shipster360 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

This can be Detective Comics as well and if anyone knows the artist who has had the longest run as well I would appreciate it.

For fun you guys can throw in which writers and artists are your favorites as well. I am a huge fan of the Snyder/Capullo team, but I also really like Loeb/Lee in Hush.

#2 Posted by Joelislegend (231 posts) - - Show Bio

It would probably be Grant Morrison if you count from 2006-today that's almost 6 years working on Batman.

Besides that maybe Chuck Dixon with the Knightfall saga or Devin Grayson.

#3 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

The first writer that pops in mind is Grant Morrison?

#4 Posted by Shipster360 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

i figured it was him.

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (21002 posts) - - Show Bio

Dixon,Grant,Moench,Morrison.

Avatar image for raymundogfuentes
#6 Edited by raymundogfuentes (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I just asked myself the same question and at least in Batman title 2 of the longest writing runs (over 100 issues have been Bill Finger's (the character creator) and Doug Moench (though he had 2 different runs so it was not a run in a row) maybe there were longer runs in the 50s or 60s but I don't know many writers from that time. As for drawing maybe Jim Aparo considering also Brave and the Bold, Batman and the Outsiders, etc but in Batman alone my guess would be Greg Capullo...

As for my favorite runs in Batman/Detective Comics I would say O Neil/Adams, Engleheart/ Rogers, Conway/Newton, Moench/Colan, Grant/Breyfogle and Starlin/Aparo

#7 Posted by Aahz (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe there were longer runs in the 50s or 60s but I don't know many writers from that time.

Was Batman even written by just one single writer during that time? Back than they usually had iirc 3-4 Batman stories per issue.

Avatar image for raymundogfuentes
#8 Posted by raymundogfuentes (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah normally issues back then had 2 or 3 stories but yes verified Bill Finger has had the longest run writing Batman, though he was not credited in many issues but he was the main writer for more than 20 years, he was still writing Batman in the early 60's and since the beginning (167 issues)

As per the artist, Sheldon Moldoff is credited in 124 issues, I guess he is the artist with the most Batman issues drawn (let me know if you can think of someone else with more issues) around 15 years (from mid 50's to early 70's)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.