Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Which one is better Batman book so far Detective Comics or Batman ?

road_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

which one do you prefer so far?

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Batman a little more so far, both are great titles though that I would probably put at the top of the list for the new rebirth books.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've read so far I have to go with Detective.

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Caivu

Detective for me. It has too many elements that I like that Batman just doesn't have.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman has been better plotted and more cohesive.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

In my opinion, Detective Comics is way better.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Detective

ndisnyjj55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last detective issue was so damn good..i have to go with detective..

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Detective Comics, while having an interesting story, is doing something that really pisses me off personally. I like the whole premise of having a Bat army modeled after Batman, and the greater focus on the Batfamily, but the problem is that they're giving Batman the shaft in order to do it.

I love Batman, so having a whole army tracking him for years without him noticing, or having a 14 years old disassemble and break down all of Batman equipment so easily and replicating them is too annoying to read. This is something I've been noticing quite a lot in the recent years, and that's the writers showing Batman as being s*** in order to elevate the villains or even other members of the Batfamily. Not to mention the ludicrous amount of people that know Bruce's secret identity at this point, even Clayface knows it for Christ's sake...

The Batman book on the other hand is trying to show why Batman is......well Batman, and why he's the best at what he does. I also like that it's a Batman book, with no other Batfamily members bogging down (although Nightwing is set to show up, which I don't mind). While the Gotham siblings and the Monster Men are very promising, I'd still say Detective Comics has been more interesting so far.

So I'm conflicted. I've always like it when Batman took a militaristic angle with the story, but having Batman's character and intelligence diminished just to serve the story is really hampering my enjoyment of the book. Batman is showing promise, and is well written, but the story has yet to truly pick up, so it's hard to say for certain how good of a run this will be (it looks very promising however).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By entropy_aegis

Detective easily, before they both came out I thought Tynion would write mediocre Snyder lite stories and surprise surprise it's King who is content with being a third rate Snyder clone. Using a writers ideas is fine but the last issue of King's Batman in particular with all it's ridiculous exposition about urine and Hugo Strange's incomprehensible monologue was just a turn off. Tynion is putting his own mark here, his run will be judged for it's own merits or demerits. However if King persists on his current course of action then his run will just be a footnote until another writer with a more decisive and forceful voice comes on board. He'll just be the guy between Snyder and the next writer. He even confirmed that Snyder was responsible for the molt monster Calendar Man as if that was in any doubt.

I'm already bored with this first arc of Batman and if the next arc didn't have Bane and the Suicide Squad Batman would have been dropped. It also helps Tynion to use good and established characters while King has deliberately stuck himself with Duke to suck up to Snyder, Tynion's own work used to suffer when he played the same game with Harper, looks like King is the new lackey.

Tec blows away Batman.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Detective has been consistently good for me. You'd think by now you would be tired by Batman vs Some Organization but The Colony is awesome and the fact family is involved is great pretty much storytelling is awesome.

Gotham and Gotham Girl are a waste of page time to me. The Rebirth issue with Duke who I didnt really even want as a character to begin with was the best issue in my opinion.

Every character is a waste of space in that book, Gotham is chopped liver, Duke is another useless Snyder experiment, Gotham Girl I'll give a chance.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After this week's issue, it's not even close. Tynion apparently can't tell a story using pages and pages of exposition dumps. It's such a bland and lackluster execution. Meanwhile King's Batman has made use of every panel to explore each issue's theme in full, while slowly putting together the broader scope of the story from different angles.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis

@rurgandy said:

After this week's issue, it's not even close. Tynion apparently can't tell a story using pages and pages of exposition dumps. It's such a bland and lackluster execution. Meanwhile King's Batman has made use of every panel to explore each issue's theme in full, while slowly putting together the broader scope of the story from different angles.

It can be grating yes, I hate exposition dumps as well but Tynion is using them to flesh out the dynamics between his supporting cast. So far he's using them correctly, King on the other hand is doing the exact same except in his case the exposition is just gibberish about urine and I dont even know what Hugo's Strange's boring speech was or what point it served. Both of them imo exist simply because King was doing a bad Snyder impression. I'm not even a fan of the actual thing, a shoddy cloned version be damned.

Funny thing is that King IS aware, the wife reprimanded her husband for going on and on about piss but he's doing it anyway because's tight with Snyder.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far Detective, I am intrigued by some of the ideas put on Batman but King needs to write better executions to those ideas.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Detective, but both have been pretty good so far.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Detective Comics, and its not even remotely close, really.

So far, since Rebirth, every issue of Detective Comics runs circles in quality around every issue of Batman...and i don't even consider Batman "bad" right now, just "meh", and since we now have to pay twice a month to follow a series, i had to choose to read some titles instead of others, and while i gave a shot to all bat-books, i had to drop Batman.

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Detective is pretty good but Batman wins this. Tom King is such a good writer, everything he does has meaning and his first arc is really different and feels great.

FLGibson97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FLGibson97

Batman by far. It's definitely my favorite rebirth book. The piss monologue was very dumb, but everything else is pretty great. He somehow got me to like Gotham and Gotham Girl. His Alfred and Gordon are great. He gets Hugo Strange. Psycho Pirates involvement has potential. As long as he doesn't imitate Snyder (with that piss monologue) again I think this could be a definitive Batman run. Hopefully he will ignore Duke as much as possible. I am just worried he will try to follow in Snyder's footsteps more. If he does his own thing it will be great.

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Detective

commissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to find a current Batman book that's not better than what King has given us so far.

(Then again, I haven't even bothered to try Snyder's All-Star Batman.)

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So has the main Batman book improved? The trades come out soon and I need to make a decision in the next few weeks.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rurgandy: you give me a lot of optimism rurga, and I want to believe you. I really do.

lillion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Detective is better, though Batman is also good. It's just that the monster men arc was fucking bullshit and should never have been made. The arc before and the current arc are quite good

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

Detective is far better.

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HauntedGraveyard

They are both crap. Just read the latest issue of Batman and its so horrible. Everything from the stupid writing to the changing of long established characters such as catwoman. King is one if the worst batman writers in my opinion.

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
    HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HauntedGraveyard

I meant to da I read the latest issue of batman not Tec oops.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.