Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What was wrong with "The Batman"?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

I thought that show was pretty good. But, a lot of people say it was bad. I want to know why?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedOwl_1

Don't know either!

That was my first Batman show, love the style the only thing that bothers me about it is that Bruce Wayne doesn't look handsome D:

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By renamed040924

I thought it was fine too, but you're right, not many people seem to like it.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By PurpleCandy

@RedOwl_1 said:

Don't know either!

That was my first Batman show, love the style the only thing that bothers me about it is that Bruce Wayne doesn't look handsome D:

I know right, he looks Jackie Chan from that jackie chan cartoon. Though I like The Batman, I watch it every morning for the sake of the nostalgia I had when it did come on in the morning, plus it's more of a saturday monring cartoon, naturally you like watching it in the morning more, not a show you would make pop corn and dim down the lights for. Still I enjoy The Batman, It's not as dramatic as Batman TAS, but I like it's more energetic and active style, than TAS. Though it has it's bad moments (i.e. Bane looking like 4-arms from Ben 10)

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Blood1991

I thought it was decent, but when you compare it to Batman TAS it looks like a cat took a crap, the dog ate it, and the dog crapped the cats crap.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThanosIsMad

The first season sucked, that's what was wrong with it.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By jrock85

It had it's notable flaws, but I think it was a good show.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

I've only seen a few episodes, but the one thing I couldn't get over were some of those character designs. Some of the worst I've ever seen.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_

I liked it for what it was.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

What the smart lady above me said.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By gotwillpower

The only thing I didn't like about it was the yellow oval.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ssejllenrad

I liked it but I think the hardcore fans didn't like it because its predecessor, Batman TAS, was much darker and had deeper story lines and so The Batman was deemed a step-down.

@Blood1991 said:

I thought it was decent, but when you compare it to Batman TAS it looks like a cat took a crap, the dog ate it, and the dog crapped the cats crap.

^A much better way of putting it.

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Strafe Prower

@Mercy_ said:

I liked it for what it was.

This.

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By selinaky

The art style of the show just puts me off, especially compared to Batman: TAS. I watched it sometimes nonetheless, it's not too bad.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By SupBatz

It was a pretty good show. A lot of episodes were pretty great and a lot weren't so great.

I didn't particularly like most of the character designs and voices. But it was still worth the watch as far as I'm concerned.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Suprman

My biggest problem was the design of the characters. I liked the story ideas and some of the concepts but the design just ruins it for me most of the time. The worst design on that show was the Joker, god was that terrible. Still loved the last season though.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

It was decent

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By britsera

It was ok (I only watched a few episodes when they happened to be on)... I felt like TBatman tried to do something between TAS (classic dark Bats) and B&B (lulz, and more kid-friendly), and it was just confusing for me.

Some of the character designs sucked - Joker, some of the eyes were WAY too big (Batgirl!) and Catwoman looked very odd to me. They were jarring, and made it harder for me to focus, lol.

Though we did get a Batman vs Dracula movie out of it. Which was like Awesome vs. Cool. :P

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

People should stop comparing it to TAS, it's not TAS, it never claimed to be TAS, and it never tried to be TAS. It's a completely different type of show, with different types of characters and you gotta realize that. 

Anyway, I personally loved it...except for the weird monkey kung fu Joker...

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
    mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I liked it.It had flaws but I still liked it.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By the_tree

Character designs were really my only problem with the show.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By takashichea

I enjoy both The Batman and Batman the animated series. Though, my heart is with the Batman the animated series. It had better character design, stories, and it showed more of Robin, NightWing, and Batgirl.

It was only until a few months ago that I learned there was several Batgirls in the comic book series and five Robins in total. I hope people start an animated series or movie on the Batgirls or the Robins or have a new Batman series that covers those characters more in-depth.

I never knew that some comic books had Bruce Wayne acting like an arrogant playboy until I saw a trailer for that one new Batman movie, Year Zero, I think. I can't remember. I liked Bruce Wayne version in BTAS.

Usually, I don't like the constant retelling and changing of an animated series from the comic books like Spiderman. I'm okay with Batman because DC Comics allowed the same batman from BTAS to appeared in Justice League and Batman Beyond. I'm more for consistency than change.

The cool thing that separated The Batman from its predecessor was Ellen Yin and Ethan Bennet. I liked the two characters and their involvement with the story. It made the series unique from BTAS. I don't remember what happened to Yin.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@The Stegman said:

People should stop comparing it to TAS, it's not TAS, it never claimed to be TAS, and it never tried to be TAS. It's a completely different type of show, with different types of characters and you gotta realize that. Anyway, I personally loved it...except for the weird monkey kung fu Joker...

Agreed.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KnightRise

Because of the inevitable comparison to the Almighty BTAS. Its like . I liked it a lot; the alternate character concepts were ok, but it was no BTAS content-wise. I'd rather have my kids (pretending I have any) watching some kind of Batman than no kind Batman, even if its not my kind of Batman. I felt the same way about DBZ Kai.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By reignmaker

I thought it was ok. It got a lot of early hate because it wasn't TAS. If you grew up with TAS, nothing is ever going to replace it.

Personally, I prefer The Brave and the Bold TV series which replaced The Batman. Mainly 'cause it was more true to former comics and it was also something I could watch with my little kid.

Regardless, both shows did a good job demonstrating that not everything Batman needs to be dark and serious.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ms__omega

The Joker episodes seemed way off to me but I loved the Clayface episodes.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@The Stegman said:

People should stop comparing it to TAS, it's not TAS, it never claimed to be TAS, and it never tried to be TAS. It's a completely different type of show, with different types of characters and you gotta realize that. Anyway, I personally loved it...except for the weird monkey kung fu Joker...

This.

mcclellanscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By mcclellanscott

You just can't compare it to any series before or since. However, the voice acting and writing improved with seasons 3, 4, and 5.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Writing was okay. Character designs, mainly when it comes to Joker and Riddler. I know monkeys are viewed as pranksters, but..It was worst the diva Doom from that FF cartoon

Lee press on nails ?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Rumble Man

It was okay

It was good because they showed batman's martial arts prowess better than most tv media

Martial arts villains makes sense when firearm depictions are not allowed

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

it was pretty good especially the episode artifacts

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mediumguy

@The_Tree said:

Character designs were really my only problem with the show.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Skewer

I didn't enjoy the show as much as other people. I did enjoy the clayface episodes and my favourite episode is the batman/superman story and I also enjoyed the episode artifacts(although I wasn't sold on oracle's portrayal). The biggest problem with the show is that:

-They were advertising themselves as a new batman the animated series.

-The character designs were ridiculous(joker,riddler,catwoman).

-having martial arts works only on a certain degree of characters and not others(joker,penguin,seriously?)

-Many episodes were a poor man's retelling of batman TAS(joker tv, ultimate criminal mastermind,etc)

-So many villains that appeared on the show had the most contrived and ridiculous motives in bat history(man-bat, mr freeze, killer croc)

-So many of the villain plots suck(langstrom turning himself into a bat so he can become one for the sake of it, croc flooding a city so he can rob everyone)

-Many characters were annoying and really got to me

-The team is just not really good when it comes to comedy and so many of the jokes just fall flat.(although there were some episodes that really were hilarious).

-So many characters were poorly handled( the best handled were hugo strange, spellbinder,clayface, black mask,alfred and gordon)

- Lastly some of the acting was stale

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Stormbox

I kinda liked the show!

It wasnt the best batman series ever but it was fun

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By spidermonkey2099

Well, imo, it just seemed too corny, and it had a lot of bad character designs.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By evilvegeta74

He met a enemy he couldn't defeat, The Ratings!!!!

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BlackWind

Penguin was an obnoxious idiot, freaking everyone knew martial arts, they killed Freeze's tragic backstory(But gave him an awesome look).

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skewer

@BlackWind said:

Penguin was an obnoxious idiot, freaking everyone knew martial arts, they killed Freeze's tragic backstory(But gave him an awesome look).

I agree, I couldn't stand the penguin on that show and he was just over used. In fact he was used more often than the joker. They could have hinted at his back story by revealing that she died and he blames the world for it instead of the ridiculous reasoning behind his crime that they went with.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By htb106

No idea, I loved that show!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By entropy_aegis

It had some merits(martial arts and gadgetry) and produced some quality episodes but GOD the villain designs and power sets just sucked.They decided to put their spin on the villains and while it was definitely ballsy but sucky nonetheless,I liked Batman vs Dracula though.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#41  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@nickzambuto said:

I thought it was fine too, but you're right, not many people seem to like it.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StrangeMan

For me, i thought that the show didn't knew what it wanted to be, every other Batman show ubicated themselves from the get go, and The Batman didn't know what it wanted to be, it tryed to be some sort of BTAS with a radicall change in visuals, but then it seemed like a sitcom between Batman and his sidekicks, and not to mention when they threw it all through the window in the last couple of seasons trying to be some kind of Brave and The Bold, wich was a really lazy way to extend the show's lifespan. If it focused on one thing from start to finish it would've been freaking awesome, like an "Ultimate Batman" kinda thing with all of these redesings and origin retellings, i mean, some of the redesings were great, same with some of the stories, like Clayface, or it also would've been great if they wanted a show that showed Bruce's more paternal side, taking care of Batgirl and Robin and watching all of them grow (being how Bruce was still a rookie), or hell, just a simple show about Bruce in his early years would've been fine and dandy with me, but to be something so convoluted and to top it all off, marketing itself and making it seem like a new BTAS in it's first run was a horrible move, and i know that this show gets a lot of crap with unfair comparisons to BTAS, but in the beginning it did seemed like that was what they wanted to do, and let's not forget that the DCAU wasn't dead yet, the JL cartoon was still on, but there was also another non-DCAU cartoon at the time, Teen Titans, but the reason why people loved and still love Teen Titans is that it didn't tried to be a JL "for younger viewers", it knew its style and it kept with it through out the show and it really worked for them.

Still it's not like there weren't any good things from the show, the DKR homage episode, the Dracula movie, and some origin retellings were pretty cool, but the show was mediocre most of the times, and even the characters redesings that could've been the shows selling point worked against it sometimes, like the Mr. Freeze origin, i just can't imagine what they would've done with Hush if they kept with him for Rumors. But the main reason i dislike The Batman is that because of it we didn't see any Batman villains in JL and JLU anymore, and what makes me even more mad is that they didn't even use most of them.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By moywar700

I enjoy The Batman better than 90's batman. I can't watch 90's batman again, the animation is too outdated.I also didn't like the art animation.I can't wait for the CGI batman, I'm sure it's gonna be better than it's predecessors.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Mbecks14

It wasn't "bad" but it wasn't great. Some of the radical departures from the norm weren't very well received by fans I think. The animation style isn't great either. I think it got better with time, but I think the overall style and aesthetic wasn't very good. I mean I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think after the success of BTAS and the rest of the DCAU, it put a bad taste in the mouths of fans.

Hax0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hax0r
    No Caption Provided

Do you mean this show? One Reason; Two Words. The Joker

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#46  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I enjoyed the show up until the Justice League was brought in. Though I do feel that some of the character designs were a bit odd, such as Joker, Bane, and Riddler. While others, like Catwoman, Firefly, and Mister Freeze were great, in my opinion.

Clayface was probably my favorite villain of the series, I wish they would bring that version into the comic books with the same origin. Seeing a good man having his mind literally melted and transformed into something dark and twisted; it just makes you feel bad for the character. Not to mention his connection to Bruce on a personal level made him a great villain for Batman to face, much like Two-Face was for Bruce in Batman: TAS.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Suprman

@entropy_aegis: I liked Batman Vs. Dracula as well. I thought the story was great and I really liked how Batman handled the whole situation, approaching the vampirism as if it were a medical condition, which in some ways, it is. I also liked the confrontations between Batman and Dracula. Music was also really really well done.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Skewer

@StrangeMan:The infamous bat-embargo. The show was also forbidden from using ra's al ghul, two-face and scarecrow because they were being used in the nolan films although the joker was used on the show. The other reason for the hate was the weak ass ending to the series.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#49  Edited By BatWatch

As a standalone kids show, it was okay. Compared to the great works that have come before it, it's crap. Compared to the comics, it is crap.

The character designs were awful. The voice acting was mediocre. The plots were usually shallow and simple thought it seems I recall enjoying a few.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.