Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23637 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What Batman Arkham game has the best story?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What Batman Arkham game has the best story? (77 votes)

Arkham Origins 18%
    Arkham Asylum 21%
    Arkham City 30%
    Arkham Knight(if you have played it) 31%

What game in the series do you think has the best story?

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arkham Asylum for sure.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origins had the best story, despite being the worst of the 4.

Suprisingly, I thought Knight had the weakest overall story, despite being the most solid mechanically.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Arkham origins was okay, asylum was faithful to arkham asylum mythos. City is pretty good but there is some pointless stuff such as joker and two face and penguin fighting each other for order I mean they work too together to defeat batman sometimes in the comics so really it kinda pointless. But the plot twist for having ras al ghul being the main villian all this time was really the greatness plot twist in a story ever made. I hadn't play knight yet so I will be back when I finish the game

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Best story City > Asylum > Knight > Origins.

Best game over all Knight > City > Asylum >>>> Origins

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman's mental deterioration, the use of Jason Todd and Joker flashbacks, everything that happened with the Gordon's and Robin, and Batman's hallucinated "friend" who kept popping up is far superior than a story about finding a cure for joker or joker taking over the Asylum or stopping some assassins

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy298

@ultrastarkiller: I'll never understand why people say Asylum has the best story. I've recently started replaying all the games abd Asylum isn't that amazing as people make it to be.It does have a creepy atmosphere to it but the story isn't great at all IMO.Origins has better detective aspect and more better animations.I think its because of the nostalgia.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: Personally I love Asylum. In terms of game play it isn't as good as the others, but it's definitely a classic. Nostalgia may have a lot to due with it but that's ok cause it was the first great superhero game. I don't care much for Origins at all, I found every secret and got every achievement (except multiplayer ones) but I don't care about it really.

@jayc1324: That's actually a really good point. The final mission, where you play as your "friend" absolutely had me hooked. Damn I was more focused on the Scarecrow part of the main story when I answered this, I'll really have to think about it cause there's a lot more to the main story than Wayne vs Crane.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Arkham Knight for sure.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After getting further in New Game Plus I'm siding with Knight now.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham City still best game in this series...

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origins by a mile. I don't care for the others at all.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@safefruitcake: why not?

@arkhamwrath: You think AC is better as a whole?

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By safefruitcake

@ultrastarkiller: I just find Asylum to be boring, City had a stupid plot and Knight was ridiculous.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@ultrastarkiller: I just find Asylum to be boring, City had a stupid plot and Knight was ridiculous.

Well I don't agree but I respect your opinion. The only thing though I found ridiculous about AK is the Riddler. While he's still awesome here, he was more evil and grounded in the last two, now he's constructing giant robots that can piece back together and designing elaborate race tracks. I still love it though, his challenges are great.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller:

Honestly i still don't play Knight, but watched walktroughs of that ! With that of what i saw... i'm not so impressed !!! City still sems better...

But again its just my taste about Batman games, and just my opinion !

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knight, followed by Origins, followed by Asylum, and City coming in last.

Arkham City's story really, REALLY sucked. And so many great characters wasted.

I'd also say that while the Arkham Knight reveal worked as a way to tie into the overall thematic point of the story, the real identity itself was kind of disappointing.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rogueshadow  Moderator

Knight or Origins, the premise of Origins is my favourite. The ending to Knight was pretty unsatisfying to be honest, I hope there is some resolution in the DLCs, I'm almost certain BM isn't dead.

@safefruitcake said:

Well I don't agree but I respect your opinion. The only thing though I found ridiculous about AK is the Riddler. While he's still awesome here, he was more evil and grounded in the last two, now he's constructing giant robots that can piece back together and designing elaborate race tracks. I still love it though, his challenges are great.

I didn't mind the robots, but I agree the race tracks seemed a bit far fetched for the Riddler considering the precedent set, though I forgive them because the racing gameplay was really awesome. The main issue I have with the Riddler is that I can never be bothered finding all his trophies, I just can't.

I did find the way they brought Joker back a bit much too.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: Lol I have all of Riddlers trophies from Asylum to Origins. I have 63% of them in Arkham Knight.

Also I'm so glad they did "him" the way they did. I just happy that they didn't actually bring him back, like everyone was expecting.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

Arkham City had my favourite story, though Asylum comes in a close second. Knight was pretty disappointing with a solid start and some well written moments littered throughout the narrative. At least it wasn't as bad as Arkham Origins in its storytelling but it was just as bad in its plot twists.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow: Lol I have all of Riddlers trophies from Asylum to Origins. I have 63% of them in Arkham Knight.

Also I'm so glad they did "him" the way they did. I just happy that they didn't actually bring him back, like everyone was expecting.

You have more stamina than me my friend, as I recall there are 243 trophies in AK. I'm never going to get all of those. Aside from that I just need to do the militia mines in the streets one now and I think 2 more of the militia bases, but I doubt I'll ever get all of the Riddler Trophies.

I enjoyed his return too, but the idea that his toxic blood turned them into micro Jokers was a bit too far fetched. I didn't mind it quite as much in Batman, because Batman knew him so well, better than anybody really, so he could psychologically create a fully formed Joker.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@rogueshadow: Ya I agree, that was a stretch. But comics right? Lol I loved the end when "he" was trying to fully take over Batmans mind and that famous quote was EPIC!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Origins is so much better than the other games in terms of story that its not even funny,it goes to show that keeping it simple is better,but City is the best game though.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rogueshadow  Moderator

@ultrastarkiller: For some reason I'm less critical of stuff that happens in comics than stuff that happens in the videogames and films. Probably the lack of tangibility of comics and the inherently lack of reality since it's ink, it's the same with books, if I read something on a page, it won't seem as ridiculous as when you see it on screen. That being said, it wasn't really bad or anything, not enough for me to flat out complain, just a gripe.

Do you think we'll get DLCs that let us free roam as Catwoman, Nightwing, Harley Quinn etc? And what did you think of the Harley Quinn DLC?

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Story City > Asylum > Origins > Blackgate

Best Game City > Asylum > Origins > Blacgate

Haven't finished Knight yet.

@lvenger said:

Arkham City had my favourite story, though Asylum comes in a close second. Knight was pretty disappointing with a solid start and some well written moments littered throughout the narrative. At least it wasn't as bad as Arkham Origins in its storytelling but it was just as bad in its plot twists.

What did you think of Knight overrall. I haven't finished it but am loving the story so far. I also loved Origins story and actually really liked the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@lvenger said:

I actually thought origins had a fantastic story. On par with Asylum.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I've seen a 100% completed walkthrough of it and whilst the gameplay looks to be the best out of any of the games along with superb graphical design and detail, I wasn't fully satisfied with the story. Since you're a fellow comic book fan, you might feel some plot points are predictable for someone like you. I won't specify which one I'm referring to so you might not get my reference, but if you do, you'll see my point. I can't deny its gameplay is superior to City but I think I prefer City as an overall game.

@lvenger said:

Yeah it does have its defenders on here to be sure. I know Saren really likes how Origins introduced Bane but the Black Mask = Joker reveal was an incredibly weak plot twist that shoved the Joker back into the games rather than take the chance of making Black Mask or someone else into the game's main villain. Plus the game bugs were bad on all platforms, not just PC.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow: I thought the Harley Quinn DLC was amazing and funny, even though it was really short. Her power set was perfect for Harley, just like how I imagined her fighting. I did think that her beating Nightwing was a stretch but I loved it over all. I did not play the Redhood DLC cause I preordered it on Xbox but when it becomes available for the season pass I'm sure I'll like it. In response to free roam, I honestly doubt that we will get a DLC like that. Unless it's something like Harley Quinn's revenge where we only get to roam a small part of the city.

SPOILER STOP READING! I did hate Deathstroke though. I honestly thought Rocksteady would do him justice but he just gets one shorted by Batman. Same for Origins he was Batman's second boss fight, and as the achievement implies Batman beat him without getting hit. Really lame how they made DS in the Arkhamverse.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

@ultrastarkiller: I agree, I haven't beaten him yet but I've seen the fight on YT and it was pretty disappointing. The Harley Quinn DLC was way too short and too easy for my liking, and the Nightwing fight was poor, he was just a regular stun baton wielder with more health, pretty poor DLC in my opinion.

Honestly, I'm going to be really disappointed if we don't get some free roam from at least a couple of the characters like they did with Catwoman. Rocksteady have repeatedly said they'll be going all out with this game, so it would be weird to allow free roam in City but not for this.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Origins is so much better than the other games in terms of story that its not even funny,it goes to show that keeping it simple is better,but City is the best game though.

Origins looks beautiful on PC too,and I don't remember City looking any good on PC.However it did have good gameplay,and everything else.I think some of this all due to nostalgia..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:
    @lvenger said:

Yeah it does have its defenders on here to be sure. I know Saren really likes how Origins introduced Bane but the Black Mask = Joker reveal was an incredibly weak plot twist that shoved the Joker back into the games rather than take the chance of making Black Mask or someone else into the game's main villain. Plus the game bugs were bad on all platforms, not just PC.

I actually enjoyed the fact that Black Mask was shoved aside. I mean, I really don't see how he can carry the presence of the main game villain. Sure they could have written him as a cool time boss, but I was honestly shocked as to how well the Joker/Batman relationship is handled. Don't get me wrong, the other games did great but there this dynamic is already established so the cat and mouse game is already set in motion, but seeing it how it starts and how each character reacts to the other was a real treat for me. Plus, Origins did a fantastic Job with Bane. He wasn't even the main antagonist and they did him justice. He was menacing, powerful, calculating, smart and honourable.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:
    @lvenger said:

I actually enjoyed the fact that Black Mask was shoved aside. I mean, I really don't see how he can carry the presence of the main game villain. Sure they could have written him as a cool time boss, but I was honestly shocked as to how well the Joker/Batman relationship is handled. Don't get me wrong, the other games did great but there this dynamic is already established so the cat and mouse game is already set in motion, but seeing it how it starts and how each character reacts to the other was a real treat for me. Plus, Origins did a fantastic Job with Bane. He wasn't even the main antagonist and they did him justice. He was menacing, powerful, calculating, smart and honourable.

See, that was a really big problem for me that felt repetitive and a predictable way to shoehorn the Joker into the story spotlight. The first two games were so reliant on Joker as the main antagonist that I had hoped Origins would be about more villains other than the Joker for once. Batman's rogues gallery and universe is so much more than the Joker, yet all the Arkham games have turned into Batman vs Joker match ups at the end of the day. The first two were well done, the last two lacked their charm and appeal IMO when we'd seen it before. I won't dispute Bane's characterisation though, Origins did a much better job with him than the other Arkham games had managed. It was much more in line with his comic book counterpart than how Rocksteady depicted Bane.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

Damn, that's hard. I consider the main four to each have very well-put together stories on the whole, but if I had to say which one came out the strongest, I'd probably say it's a toss-up between Arkham City and Arkham Knight. I had some major problems with a few bits of the Arkham Knight story, but on the flip-side, the stuff I liked was frankly more well done than anything in Arkham City, so it's kind of half-and-half for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I've seen a 100% completed walkthrough of it and whilst the gameplay looks to be the best out of any of the games along with superb graphical design and detail, I wasn't fully satisfied with the story. Since you're a fellow comic book fan, you might feel some plot points are predictable for someone like you. I won't specify which one I'm referring to so you might not get my reference, but if you do, you'll see my point. I can't deny its gameplay is superior to City but I think I prefer City as an overall game.

@theacidskull said:
    @lvenger said:

I recently completed the game and am replaying the entire series from start to finish as I usually do when a new game for a certain franchise comes out. I thoroughly enjoyed the story but I do agree it was not the strongest of the series and to be frank it was my least favorite of the trilogy. That may change through further playthroughs but as it stands now it's in 3 place out of the 5 games. City and Asylum were superior games.

You misunderstand why the shoved Black Mask aside. The entire series is about Batman's relationship with the Joker and why they are so intertwined in history. Origins was meant to show the start of the relationship and how Batman became something more than an urban legend. The plot twist was fine and built up well IMO and I had no problem with it. Plus Bane was spectacular in the game and Origins had the strongest boss fights of the series not to mention a fantastic voice cast that caught me completely off guard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only person who played Arkham Blackgate Deluxe Edition......dang it.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story for me:

City->Asylum->Origins->Knight

Game overall:

City->Asylum->Knight->Origins

The horrible batmobile and futuristic drone/high tech army thing really screwed up a lot of Arkham Knight for me.

Asylum story is simple but presented in a very awesome way. City plot twists make it go top for me though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Asylum. It was simple, the story elements, tone, atmosphere and aesthetic merged perfectly with one another. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, when we moved to Gotham, the game slowly shifted towards a more military aesthetic, which is fine in all honesty, and it makes sense given the very nature of fighting crime in a city, but personally I've always preferred the more horror oriented batman stories.

That's not to say the other games are bad or anything like that, quite the contrary, I loved every single Arkham game, but none of them captured the same magic as the first.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asylum >City >origins >Knight

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Asylum

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I am going with Asylum because it was the tightest.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Although I think Arkham City was the best game, I don't think it had the best storyline. I might give that title to Asylum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After finishing Knight It basically goes like this.

Best Story: City > Asylum > Origins > Knight > Blackgate

Overrall Game: City > Knight > Asylum > Origins > Blackgate

Avatar image for vvoodst0ck--defunct
    vvoodst0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knight

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarecrow was a Really good villain.

Knight>City>Asylum>>>>>>>Origins

Origins had so much potential.

mister_pimping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mister_pimping

In my opinion, story-wise Arkham Origins was the best but I haven't played Knight. Origins had a very well-done character driven plot. Focussing on the relationships that came to define Batman’s character allowed Origins to deliver some really emotional moments, both cinematic and subtle. Not only that, but the title created a sense of mystery that even managed to surpass Arkham Asylum’s, delivering an amazing plot-twist that no one saw coming. Whilst said twist was divisive, there is plenty to love about the rest regardless, whether that be the formation of Batman’s relationship with The Joker or Bane being given the treatment he sorely deserves. Origins also portrayed Batman's character development well. Previous games had portrayed a Batman at the peak of his career, a seasoned crime-fighter who’s been through everything and has still managed to persevere. The game's younger version of Batman is shown both visually and verbally, as Bruce takes his brand of justice to the streets in a more exposed suit and an abrasive style. His often arrogant and dark attitude is indicative of his tragic past, and an over-confident nature creates a sense of vulnerability distinctly absent from his later years as Gotham’s protector. The iteration of Batman in this title is very much more overt, not shying away from the brutal tactics reminiscent of Frank Miller’s multiple runs on the character. Portrayal of Bruce’s formative years really works well. Many of you won't agree with me here and that's fine, but the game's script was actually nominated for a Writer’s Guild Award.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gracetrack

1. Knight - The psychological twists and turns were excellent. It really keeps you hooked and wanting to find out how it's all going to pan out. Hamill's Joker performance was exceptional, and John Noble's Scarecrow (the game's big bad) was a treat all by itself. Oh, and the way it all pans out is fantastic. Truly an epic ending for the Arkham series.

2. Origins - The entire narrative setup of having eight of the world's deadliest assassins out to put and end to a young Batman (per Black Mask's bounty), coupled with the Christmastime setting, was awesome to say the least. I greatly enjoyed some of the plot twists in this one as well.

3. Asylum - A simple but effective story. Truly, sometimes less is more, and this game is a strong case in point. However, it can't match some of the more clever narrative beats in Knight or Origins.

4. City - I honestly can't remember much about the story besides having to find Ra's Al Ghul to get cured. Hugo Strange was entirely forgettable as a villain, and I always felt that the main story was a little too convoluted for its own good. This was my least favorite Arkham story, as well as my least favorite Arkham game overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fcab2f88a72f
    deactivated-5fcab2f88a72f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Knight definitely had the best ending. It marked the end of Bruce Wayne, the death of Bruce Wayne. If Origins was how Bruce Wayne became Batman, then Knight is how Bruce Wayne died. When the Knightfall Protocol was initiated, Bruce Wayne died already. He died during the Scarecrow scene. Knight is about Batman giving up on his life, giving up on the ability to live a normal life in trade of his friends and family being safe. He burned down Wayne Manor so that he wouldn't have to be hindered. He no longer has the ability to love, the luxury to love.

Bruce Wayne was always a sort of a title. He used his immense wealth to help Gotham. But at the end of Arkham Knight, Gotham still needs Batman. That's why he gives up on the ability to live a normal life, because there will always be crimes in Gotham. Knight marks the transformation from Bruce Wayne to Batman.

To me, the mask is basically him not needing it anymore. The world knows he is Bruce Wayne.

Bat_Love

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asylum, though City was a better game all in all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.