Was DCAU Batman overpowered?

  • 48 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for modernww2fare
Edited 4 years, 2 months ago

Poll: Was DCAU Batman overpowered? (90 votes)

Yes 38%
No 62%

Was DCAU Batman the way he should've been, or did Bruce Timm turn him into a god?

Avatar image for spidey_jackson
#1 Posted by Spidey_Jackson (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

JL Batman was.

Beata

Avatar image for zaied
#2 Edited by zaied (7221 posts) - - Show Bio

No, he was just the easiest character to not have deviate from the comics. He never really did anything that Batman hasn't done, or can't replicate in the comics.

Only his 2-3 higher end feats are really that over the top.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#3 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked the character more in the pre JL shows to be honest.

Avatar image for modernww2fare
#4 Posted by modernww2fare (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked the character more in the pre JL shows to be honest.

why?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#5 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: I liked the writing better and how they focus in other aspects i found more interesting.

Avatar image for jayc1324
#6 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

Only when he dodged omega beams

Avatar image for cuddlebear
#7 Posted by CuddleBear (1397 posts) - - Show Bio

B:TAS Batman was just a dude. I remember him having a hard time beating Harvey Dent in a fist fight.

Avatar image for vitalius
#8 Edited by Vitalius (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

Last episode of Justice League Unlimited he dogde two Omega beams and maganed to direct the beam to kill a parademon while Superman wasnt able to dogde it. But then you had in some episodes where he knew everything or could do anything.

Avatar image for ganon15
#9 Posted by ganon15 (7096 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Only when he dodged omega beams

And took out Sinestro with just a batarang

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#10 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

No he was Batman. Is Earth 1 Batman useless? Seems like a better thread.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#11 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for muyjingo
#12 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything he gets downplayed, some people even think the Nolan Batman was superior.

His feats, for the most part, are in line with what I would expect from the character in that universe.

Avatar image for the_stegman
#13 Posted by the_stegman (40190 posts) - - Show Bio

No. He just didn't get needed like the others. Except Hawkgirl, who seemed stronger.

Moderator
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#14 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for primebonnick
#15 Posted by primebonnick (4291 posts) - - Show Bio

The man didged darkseid's omega beams man come on if that isn't OP i don't know what is lol. Still he has his butt handed to him a good amount of times i remember lady wonder woman treating him like a rag doll and the joker knocking him out with a bag of bricks.

Avatar image for gracetrack
#16 Posted by Gracetrack (4638 posts) - - Show Bio

No. BTAS Batman was fine. JL Batman was pretty much perfect.

Avatar image for superguy1591
#17 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio

Off the top of my head? He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams, kicked Darkseid and made him tumble, he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman, he tossed Superman across the room...

That's off the top of my head.

Avatar image for modernww2fare
#18 Edited by modernww2fare (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591 said:

Off the top of my head? He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams, kicked Darkseid and made him tumble, he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman, he tossed Superman across the room...

That's off the top of my head.

He also knocked out Sinestro with a mere batarang, as Ganon said

Avatar image for superguy1591
#19 Posted by Superguy1591 (7539 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for rustyroy
#20 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

Avatar image for scouterv
#21 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

If you didn't already know the answer, you wouldn't bother to ask.

We all know League Batman was amped, which wouldn't have been so bad if everyone else didn't get nerfed.

Avatar image for modernww2fare
#22 Posted by modernww2fare (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

If you didn't already know the answer, you wouldn't bother to ask.

"Don't handle me J'onn, I'm serious"

Avatar image for scouterv
#23 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

If you didn't already know the answer, you wouldn't bother to ask.

"Don't handle me J'onn, I'm serious"

...Thank you.

I didn't think anyone would get that reference, but I'm glad someone did.

Avatar image for gracetrack
#24 Edited by Gracetrack (4638 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: People make way too much of this.

"He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams..."

Eh, happened one time. And Darkseid was also nerfed (in general) along with most of the other more powerful characters, as you yourself pointed out. So it's not really implausible. This is also the same episode that had Lex Luthor (sans battle suit) keeping up with Batman and taking on parademons with two pistols.

"kicked Darkseid and made him tumble..."

He didn't make him "tumble," he made him stagger a little. Also, Batman had a running start and pole-vaulted, essentially putting everything he had into it (his entire body weight). And again, it happened one time (in the exact same episode as the above feat) against a nerfed Darkseid. This was literally the last episode in the Timm-verse series.

"he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman..."

Um... Batman being able to dodge Kalibak isn't all that impressive or unbelievable. Wonder Woman wasn't trying to evade him. Besides, all these characters were nerfed, remember?

"he tossed Superman across the room..."

Again, Superman was nerfed, especially the STAS version of Supes (which is when this happened). Supes then immediately speed-blitzed Bats and put him in his place.

..............................................

In general, Batman was not overpowered in the DCAU. Yes, there were a few brief, anomalous moments (dodging the Omega Beam in the final episode being the biggest "offender" by far), but said moments ultimately amounted to nothing anyway.

Avatar image for MadFacedKid
#25 Edited by MadFacedKid (6596 posts) - - Show Bio

When a human punches Superman their fist should break imagine hitting Darkseid.

He avoided Kalibak, who has tagged Flash and Wonder Woman.

Hes oneshotted Sinestro.

It's ridiculous but honestly hilarious.

Avatar image for scouterv
#26 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@superguy1591: People make way too much of this.

"He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams..."

Eh, happened one time. And Darkseid was also nerfed (in general) along with most of the other more powerful characters, as you yourself pointed out. So it's not really implausible. This is also the same episode that had Lex Luthor (sans battle suit) keeping up with Batman and taking on parademons with two pistols.

"kicked Darkseid and made him tumble..."

He didn't make him "tumble," he made him stagger. And Batman had a running start and pole-vaulted, essentially putting everything he had into it (his entire body weight). And again, it happened one time (in the exact same episode as the above feat) against a nerfed Darkseid. This was literally the last episode in the Timm-verse series.

"he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman..."

Um... Batman being able to dodge Kalibak isn't all that impressive or unbelievable. Wonder Woman wasn't trying to evade him. Besides, all these characters were nerfed, remember?

"he tossed Superman across the room..."

Again, Superman was nerfed, especially the STAS version of Supes (which is when this happened). Supes then immediately speed-blitzed Bats and put him in his place.

..............................................

In general, Batman was not overpowered in the DCAU. Yes, there were a few brief, anomalous moments (dodging the Omega Beam in the final episode being the biggest "offender" by far), but said moments ultimately amounted to nothing anyway.

So pretty much your entire argument is, "It works cause everyone was nerfed?"

Just so we're clear.

Avatar image for gracetrack
#27 Posted by Gracetrack (4638 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@omnicrono said:

@superguy1591: People make way too much of this.

"He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams..."

Eh, happened one time. And Darkseid was also nerfed (in general) along with most of the other more powerful characters, as you yourself pointed out. So it's not really implausible. This is also the same episode that had Lex Luthor (sans battle suit) keeping up with Batman and taking on parademons with two pistols.

"kicked Darkseid and made him tumble..."

He didn't make him "tumble," he made him stagger. And Batman had a running start and pole-vaulted, essentially putting everything he had into it (his entire body weight). And again, it happened one time (in the exact same episode as the above feat) against a nerfed Darkseid. This was literally the last episode in the Timm-verse series.

"he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman..."

Um... Batman being able to dodge Kalibak isn't all that impressive or unbelievable. Wonder Woman wasn't trying to evade him. Besides, all these characters were nerfed, remember?

"he tossed Superman across the room..."

Again, Superman was nerfed, especially the STAS version of Supes (which is when this happened). Supes then immediately speed-blitzed Bats and put him in his place.

..............................................

In general, Batman was not overpowered in the DCAU. Yes, there were a few brief, anomalous moments (dodging the Omega Beam in the final episode being the biggest "offender" by far), but said moments ultimately amounted to nothing anyway.

So pretty much your entire argument is, "It works cause everyone was nerfed?"

Just so we're clear.

That wasn't the entire argument... but yeah, you run with that.

Avatar image for scouterv
#28 Edited by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@scouterv said:

@omnicrono said:

@superguy1591: People make way too much of this.

"He dodged Darkseid's Omega Beams..."

Eh, happened one time. And Darkseid was also nerfed (in general) along with most of the other more powerful characters, as you yourself pointed out. So it's not really implausible. This is also the same episode that had Lex Luthor (sans battle suit) keeping up with Batman and taking on parademons with two pistols.

"kicked Darkseid and made him tumble..."

He didn't make him "tumble," he made him stagger. And Batman had a running start and pole-vaulted, essentially putting everything he had into it (his entire body weight). And again, it happened one time (in the exact same episode as the above feat) against a nerfed Darkseid. This was literally the last episode in the Timm-verse series.

"he dodged Kalibak's attack while Kalibak beat up Wonder Woman..."

Um... Batman being able to dodge Kalibak isn't all that impressive or unbelievable. Wonder Woman wasn't trying to evade him. Besides, all these characters were nerfed, remember?

"he tossed Superman across the room..."

Again, Superman was nerfed, especially the STAS version of Supes (which is when this happened). Supes then immediately speed-blitzed Bats and put him in his place.

..............................................

In general, Batman was not overpowered in the DCAU. Yes, there were a few brief, anomalous moments (dodging the Omega Beam in the final episode being the biggest "offender" by far), but said moments ultimately amounted to nothing anyway.

So pretty much your entire argument is, "It works cause everyone was nerfed?"

Just so we're clear.

That wasn't the entire argument... but yeah, you run with that.

Just Saiyan.

It was in every point you stated, so...

Avatar image for errorinscript
#31 Posted by Errorinscript (1216 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll yes if you take all the plot armour and the bullets the cops miss..

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#32 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (15862 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude knew Deadman took over Superman's body as soon as it happened. Hell yeah he's OP.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#33 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

He wasn't until Justice League

Avatar image for highaccuser
#34 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Every Batman is

Avatar image for rustyroy
#35 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

No and the comic book version is more powerful.

Avatar image for jeremy1989
#36 Posted by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

Every Batman is

And that's what I hate most about Batman. He's supposed to be "human", but does stuff like this. Yes I know it's comics and all but it irks me to know that members of the Justice League, hell people with superpowers are more human than him.

Avatar image for jb681131
#37 Posted by jb681131 (3072 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerevarine_11 said:

Every Batman is

And that's what I hate most about Batman. He's supposed to be "human", but does stuff like this. Yes I know it's comics and all but it irks me to know that members of the Justice League, hell people with superpowers are more human than him.

His power doesn't come from physical strength because we know that Superman, Captain Marvel and many others are stronger.

His power come from is intelligence and knowledge, he can outsmart anyone.

Far from every Batman is overpowered ! He's let people die or get hurt (Robin or Batgirl for exemple), he's got beaten a few times (Bane in Knightfall for exemple), he's needed help from others (in No Man's Land for exemple), he doesn't know everything (Court of the Owls for exemple), ...

Haters are alway gonna hate.

Avatar image for eto
#38 Edited by Eto (5281 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@jeremy1989 said:
@nerevarine_11 said:

Every Batman is

And that's what I hate most about Batman. He's supposed to be "human", but does stuff like this. Yes I know it's comics and all but it irks me to know that members of the Justice League, hell people with superpowers are more human than him.

His power doesn't come from physical strength because we know that Superman, Captain Marvel and many others are stronger.

His power come from is intelligence and knowledge, he can outsmart anyone.

Far from every Batman is overpowered ! He's let people die or get hurt (Robin or Batgirl for exemple), he's got beaten a few times (Bane in Knightfall for exemple), he's needed help from others (in No Man's Land for exemple), he doesn't know everything (Court of the Owls for exemple), ...

This

Avatar image for rustyroy
#39 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Brave and the Bold version is more powerful than DCAU Batman.

Avatar image for huir
#40 Posted by Huir (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Avatar image for tifalockhart
#41 Posted by TifaLockhart (21107 posts) - - Show Bio

He dodged the Omega Beams. Everything else I can buy.

And it was supposed to be a more powerful version of Darkseid. Don't even give me Luthor killing Parademons, parademons are fodder, literally. Their job is to swarm and overwhelm and even in the comics Robin has taken out several at once.

The Omega Beams, smh. And I like Batman.

Avatar image for jeremy1989
#42 Edited by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:
@jeremy1989 said:
@nerevarine_11 said:

Every Batman is

And that's what I hate most about Batman. He's supposed to be "human", but does stuff like this. Yes I know it's comics and all but it irks me to know that members of the Justice League, hell people with superpowers are more human than him.

His power doesn't come from physical strength because we know that Superman, Captain Marvel and many others are stronger.

His power come from is intelligence and knowledge, he can outsmart anyone.

Far from every Batman is overpowered ! He's let people die or get hurt (Robin or Batgirl for exemple), he's got beaten a few times (Bane in Knightfall for exemple), he's needed help from others (in No Man's Land for exemple), he doesn't know everything (Court of the Owls for exemple), ...

Haters are alway gonna hate.

I don't hate Batman as a character, I hate this ideal that he is this Prep God/BatGod that people praise him to be. That he can beat everybody due to PIS/CIS.

For example...

No Caption Provided

When he defeated Spectre with one kick.

Avatar image for jb681131
#43 Edited by jb681131 (3072 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeremy1989: I agree that some writters tend to make too mush of a "batgod" and that also annoys me.

Avatar image for jeremy1989
#45 Posted by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@jeremy1989: I agree that some writters tend to make too mush of a "batgod" and that also annoys me.

Speaking of which...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
#46 Posted by deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65 (4972 posts) - - Show Bio

His power level fluctuated so much it's impossible to say. With the Justice League he's stomping teambusters but in the streets of Gotham he struggles with lone thugs. It happens.

Avatar image for deathstroke512
#48 Posted by deathstroke512 (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeremy1989: batman didn't defeat spectre with one kick but spectre let him kick because he killed the person that batman was trying to save

Avatar image for jeremy1989
#49 Posted by Jeremy1989 (1816 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeremy1989: batman didn't defeat spectre with one kick but spectre let him kick because he killed the person that batman was trying to save

Still, it's a ridicules moment. Too ridicules even for metahuman standards. Although ironically, he is now deemed metahuman for some reason. I think his only superpower is nerfing powerful beings.

Avatar image for deathstroke512
#50 Posted by deathstroke512 (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeremy1989: Then I hope he keeps using this nerfing powers as long as he is in jla.Makes comic books interesting because they would suck without plot.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.