Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Underrated Batman stories?

ndisnyjj55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What stories do you feel don't get enough credit in Batman history?

Mr___death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mr___death

Batman: Strange Apparitions. imo

road_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman the cult

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for lactosetolerant
    LactoseTolerant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls. It's not exactly an under the radar story but so many people shit on Snyder's work while I honestly thought that story arc was amazing.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Court of Owls. It's not exactly an under the radar story but so many people shit on Snyder's work while I honestly thought that story arc was amazing.

I agree that it is one of Snyder's best story. At least the 3/4 of it. This story amazed be the first time I read it. I found it original. It brought a new interesting vilain. I don't think it is underated, but you got to admin that Snyder's work after that has been bad.

Avatar image for lactosetolerant
    LactoseTolerant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LactoseTolerant
    @jb681131 said:
    @lactosetolerant said:

I agree that it is one of Snyder's best story. At least the 3/4 of it. This story amazed be the first time I read it. I found it original. It brought a new interesting vilain. I don't think it is underated, but you got to admin that Snyder's work after that has been bad.

Thought Death of the Family was OK and the ending definitely could have been handled better but I've yet to read the rest of his run. I'm still catching up at the moment. What would you say is bad about his run though?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Ego and Batman Prey are very cool stories that hardly anyone mentions.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't personally call it underrated, because even though it has its detractors it (And Snyder's run in general) receives far more praise than hate from what i've seen.

Batman Ego and Batman Prey are very cool stories that hardly anyone mentions.

Never read Ego, but i'll second Prey. Darn good Hugo Strange story and probably one of the best Batman tales i've ever read. Really works well in his early years.

PhantomLemur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ndisnyjj55:

Batman: Year 3: One of the best retelling of the Robin origin and also a great post-Jason's death title that cements the idea that Batman needs a Robin. (See also A Lonely Place of Dying)

Red Rain trilogy: This includes Red Rain, Bloodstorm, and Crimson Mist. These tales are out there, as it depicts Batman going toe-to-toe against Dracula, becoming a vampire himself, and fighting the urge to kill, even though blood is now essential for him to survive. Although these stories are strange in comparison to the tone of the main canon at the time, it's still one of the best examples Batman's character and his refusal to take a life. Bloodstorm is the best of the trilogy (Joker uses his whits to take control over a gang of vampires, also a Were-Cat version of Catwoman, need I say more?) and Crimson Mist unfortunately doesn't quite stick the landing for an excellent ending, but they're all three worth reading, big time.

No Man's Land: Now this one gets a lot of love within the Batman community, but it was such a huge and compelling saga, I think a lot of people don't appreciate how excellent this story truly is. I'd highly recommend Greg Rucka's novelization of the event.

Gotham Central: Not necessarily a Batman story, but it fleshes out the world of Gotham City in a big bad way, so I'd like to see it get more love.

Batman #1: Yeah, it's the ultimate example of a classic, but again I think we take for granted how brilliant some of these works truly are. Bill Finger was a genius for putting together this world of Gotham and literally everything we think is essential to the Bat-character had been perfected and achieved by Batman #1, just a YEAR after the character's introduction to the world. Batman 1 specifically has the Joker (two stories as a matter of fact), Catwoman, and Hugo Strange all under one title and all four of the stories are home-runs. Thanks to the DC Universe app, I was finally able to read Batman #2 for the first time and I was shocked to see it pick up directly where 1 left off, even going so far as to having Batman team up with Catwoman in order to take down the Joker. That's a plot point I would have figured came more from the 70s, (with the code and all, I don't think you would ever see a nuanced example of a hero/villain alliance) and I'm sitting here shocked to see that they did it all the way back in 1940! Bill Finger, Jerry Robinson, and whoever else helped with these issues (whether that involves Bob Kane or not) knew exactly what they were doing, and created this world that has endured 80 years, and I still believe we don't give them enough credit nor do we praise their stories enough!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.