Underrated and Overrated Batman Comics?

• 145 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
#102 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Snyder's run, Knightfall, and A Death in the Family.

Underrated: Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle's run, Doug Moench's run, Denny O'Neil's run, Penguin: Pain and Prejudice mini-series, and Two-Face: Crime and Punishment.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
#103 Edited by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated? Batman: Hush. It's by far the worst Batman comic I've ever read. There's no cohesive story, things just happen in order to get more villains into the plot. Let's see who Jim Lee'll draw next issue!!!!!

"Deep down Clark's a good person and deep down I'm not." No, Jeph Loeb, you apparently just don't understand the character.

#104 Posted by TDK_1997 (18926 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

Underrated:Most definitely Under the Hood.I mean it wasn't brilliant and all but I enjoyed it quite much.

Yeah, I really liked Black Mask's fight with "Red Hood"

Yep, the whole book and story was amazing.

#105 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

@deathstroke52 said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Underrated:Most definitely Under the Hood.I mean it wasn't brilliant and all but I enjoyed it quite much.

Yeah, I really liked Black Mask's fight with "Red Hood"

Yep, the whole book and story was amazing.

Agreed.

#106 Posted by lamdaddy20 (1439 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Hush

Underrated: Heart of Hush--Way better than Hush, gives Hush better motives and makes him a more interesting villain

Avatar image for transformers1024
#107 Edited by Transformers1024 (7603 posts) - - Show Bio

I find The Dark Knight Returns to be one of the most overrated comics there is. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic story with a great re-read value and did set the tone beautifully for many Batman stories to come. I guess that I had just heard so many great things about it before hand, that I went in with the mindset of, "This is going to be the greatest Batman story ever told and nothing is ever going to top it." and just can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed from such high praise.

#108 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Hush would get a really good story, but he'll be stuck in the same class as villains like Bane and Black Mask for quite a while. He's interesting too, more so than someone like Bane.

Two-Face and Penguin had great stories in the eighties and nineties, they were absolutely great, much better than most of the Joker's during that time. Their stories were overshadowed by Joker during that time sadly, but they still were getting love. Joker was great when he was written by Denny O'Neil and The Killing Joke was great for actually giving him an origin. Though, Joker already had an origin for decades, but it was made in 1951, then they used the same origin in the seventies, eighties, nineties, and pretty much now. Better than the 'no origin' idea.

#109 Edited by Amratheking (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Under the Hood, Knightfall, Court of Owls, Club of Heroes, Batman & Son, Long Halloween, DCAU Batman adventures.

Overrated: The rest of Morrison's run (silver-age wankfest), Hush, Endgame (so far), Robin Rises, Killing Joke.

#111 Posted by deactivated-5a60370ee1024 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

Other underrated greats.

Underrated: Batman Annual 14, Snow and Ice Part I and Snow and Ice Part II.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#112 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Under The Red Hood.

Overrated: Endgame, The Dark Knight Returns.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
#113 Edited by deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Endgame's last issue is coming out next week. Wait at least until then to call it overrated.

Overrated: Synder's next arc and the rest of his run.

On a more serious note, Black & White deserves to be talked about more often. Bent Twigs by Bill Sienkiewicz is a great story about Batman dealing with an abusive father that loves to play the victim. Black & White really gives Batman writers the chance to do weird elseworld type stories and have Batman deal with various issues that aren't always about him punching baddies.

#114 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know if it's underrated but I enjoy Legends of the Dark Knight, most of them are entertaining to read and a nice break from standard canon.

#115 Edited by tcrighton (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Batman: Year One

(Yeah, I'll say it. This story is cool, but not the best; I prefer Zero Year to Year One as an origin story (there I said it).

Underrated: Batman: Dark Knight of Vengeance

(This is my favorite origin story for a non-Bruce Wayne Batman)

#116 Posted by jb681131 (3433 posts) - - Show Bio

Personnaly I think that lots of the main arcs are overated. The funnest stories I've read are never the most popular ones.

Overrated : Frank Miller (he's irregular in his quality), Alan Moore (his book wasn't as great as i'd expect), Jeff Loeb (uses poorly batman's rogue gallerie), Grant Morisson (he's complicated and didnt create intersting vilains), Scott Snyder (he's irregular in his quality)

Underated : Jim Aparo (his brave and the bold run is very fun), Denis O'Neil (always had fun with his stories), Dan Slott + Ty Templeton (excelent run on Batman Adventures vol. 2), David Finch, Alan Grant (I liked knightfall saga : you could see all sides of Batman and Bruce Wayne), Batman: The Wrath story, earth-one story

#117 Posted by Black_Claw (3375 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: The Long Halloween

Overrated: Anything written by Frank Miller

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
#118 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (7222 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: No Man's Land

Overrated: Paul Dini's Detective Comics Run. Not really heavily praised or anything, but the fact that ANYBODY actually likes it instantly makes it overrated.

Avatar image for walkthroughman9
#119 Posted by Walkthroughman9 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely The Killing Joke. The story is really odd, with the carnival and the Jim Gordon torture. It was good for the first half but after Batman spoke with Barbra, it was all downhill from there. The Dark Knight is really better version of it.

#120 Posted by The_Waffle (690 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Kiteman issues

Overated: the rest

#121 Posted by jb681131 (3433 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely The Killing Joke. The story is really odd, with the carnival and the Jim Gordon torture. It was good for the first half but after Batman spoke with Barbra, it was all downhill from there. The Dark Knight is really better version of it.

The Killing was first intented to be a stand alone story.

Underrated: No Man's Land

Overrated: Paul Dini's Detective Comics Run. Not really heavily praised or anything, but the fact that ANYBODY actually likes it instantly makes it overrated.

Yes for No Man's Land, But if you include Detective Comics and Streets of Gotham in Paul Dini's run, it is one the best run there ever was on Batman.

Batman, the dark knight - is Underrated

Scott Snyder's run - is Overrated

#122 Posted by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Hush, Under the Red Hood, Killing Joke

Underrated: Dini Tec Run, Ego

#124 Edited by majinn4 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated:

"The killing Joke" by a landslide, I will never understand why people think that book is so great. Some even daresay one of the GOAT's. Once you cut out the "shock factor" of all the excessive violence, cynicism and weird psycho- sexual imagery. Its a very average book that doesn't really do anything new for the most part. The concepts behind it were very unique and interesting. Like the idea of giving the Joker a sympathetic background. But the actual execution/ development was severely lacking, ultimately more flare than substance. Even Alan Moore himself doesn't like the comic and was unhappy that it was made canon. Likewise I would have to agree with him. Also there is:

Morrison: (Particularly his run on "Batman inc.", R.I.P., and "Batman and Son".)

Snyder

"A Death in the Family"

Underrated:

"War Games"

"Gates of Gotham" (Though technically not just a "Batman" comic, still good though.)

"No Man's Land"

"Batman; Bruce Wayne: Murderer/ Fugitive"

"Batman Confidential"

"The Long Halloween" (Probably the only good Batman comic by Jeph Loeb I have read.)

"The Heart of Hush" (Though I never really cared for the Bruce x Selina fan pandering.)

Dixon

O'neal

Dini

Tony S Daniel: (Though he messes up badly sometimes, like in "Battle for the Cowl".)

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#125 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio
@majinn4 said:

Underrated:

"War Games"

"Gates of Gotham" (Though technically not just a "Batman" comic, still good though.)

"No Man's Land"

"Batman Confidential"

"The Long Halloween" (Probably the only good Batman comic by Jeph Loeb I have read.)

"The Heart of Hush" (Though I never really cared for the Bruce x Selina fan pandering.)

Dixon

O'neal

Dini

Tony S Daniel: (Though he messes up badly sometimes, like in "Battle for the Cowl".)

How is No Man's Land underrated?

#126 Posted by kiba (3747 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinn4: what was wrong with battle for the cowl?

#127 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is overrated? It's extremely popular of a Batman book, but I've never seen anyone on CV say much good about it.

I understand the hate too, but after re-reading it, it's actually pretty good now that I know how it ends and know what to expect from the story. At the time of it's release, I had some pretty negative issues with it too.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#128 Edited by infantfinite128 (6451 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Grant Morrison's Batman- Bat-god, insta-garbage clothes, haphazardly shoe-horning Son of the Demon, Batman history bragging, ninja Bat-men, robotic dialogue, convoluted writing that doesn't respect the reader's time or wallet, predictable Jezebel Jet plot, consistent lame stuff like "BATMAN AND ROBIN WILL NEVER DIE!", frog man, back-up personalities, etc. It's good, but it's the reason why I was so into Scott Snyder when he first started with Black Mirror because I hated a lot of Grant Morrison's run. I appreciated it far more after how dark and unlikable Batman has become in recent years, but try explaining any of this to your girlfriend or, heck, any friend or family member for 2 minutes. lol

Underrated: Chuck Dixon, Doug Moench, Denny O'Neil, Mike W Barr, Gerry Conway, Batman Adventures, Batman and Robin Adventures, Batman Gotham Adventures

Avatar image for redwhiteandbluesupes
#129 Posted by RedWhiteAndBlueSupes (175 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Returns way overrated, underrated Denis O'Neill Bronze Age stories( the laughing fish), Ra's al Ghul stories from that era. I also think Batman The Cult is underrated

Avatar image for dealthy_hallows
#130 Edited by Dealthy_Hallows (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinn4 said:

Overrated:

"The killing Joke" by a landslide, I will never understand why people think that book is so great. Some even daresay one of the GOAT's. Once you cut out the "shock factor" of all the excessive violence, cynicism and weird psycho- sexual imagery. Its a very average book that doesn't really do anything new for the most part. The concepts behind it were very unique and interesting. Like the idea of giving the Joker a sympathetic background. But the actual execution/ development was severely lacking, ultimately more flare than substance. Even Alan Moore himself doesn't like the comic and was unhappy that it was made canon. Likewise I would have to agree with him. Also there is:

Morrison: (Particularly his run on "Batman inc.", R.I.P., and "Batman and Son".)

Snyder

"A Death in the Family"

Underrated:

"War Games"

"No Man's Land"

"Batman Confidential"

Dixon

O'neal

Dini

How is Long halloween underrated? Basically the major inspiration for Nolans DK as well as a batman story that is on the top of everyone's list. Far from underrated

#131 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Returns way overrated, underrated Denis O'Neill Bronze Age stories( the laughing fish), Ra's al Ghul stories from that era. I also think Batman The Cult is underrated

Yes. DC needs to do a better job of reprinting some of these stories in fact.

#132 Edited by majinn4 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@dealthy_hallows:

"At the top of everyone's list"? Maybe I need to look again, but in most forums I have seen "TKJ", "Hush" (which was awful) "TDKR", Under the Red Hood" and a few others take the top places in most of the "Best Batman Stories" lists. Most casual Batman readers that I have talked to don't even know about it.

Also how did "The Long Halloween" inspire the Dark Knight Trilogy? Practically nothing in those movies resembles the comic. The only inspirations I see are taken from "Knightfall" (third film) and "Year One"(first film). Extremely minor ones at that.

#133 Edited by Ezekael (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated:

Hush

Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Jeff Loeb's career

Underrated:

The Man Who Laughs

Arkham Asylum

Favorite Batman Story:

Year One

#134 Posted by jb681131 (3433 posts) - - Show Bio
@majinn4 said:

@dealthy_hallows:

"At the top of everyone's list"? Maybe I need to look again, but in most forums I have seen "TKJ", "Hush" (which was awful) "TDKR", Under the Red Hood" and a few others take the top places in most of the "Best Batman Stories" lists. Most casual Batman readers that I have talked to don't even know about it.

Also how did "The Long Halloween" inspire the Dark Knight Trilogy? Practically nothing in those movies resembles the comic. The only inspirations I see are taken from "Knightfall" (third film) and "Year One"(first film). Extremely minor ones at that.

I agree Hush is awfull.

As for "The Long Halloween", well it's the writters themselves who sayd it inspired part of "The Dark Knight".

As for inspiration:

• Year One - Batman Begins
  • The Dark Knight Returns - inspired the Batmobile
  • Arkahm Asylum - The Dark Knight - inspired the Joker
  • Long Halloween/Dark Victory - Somewhat inspired Batman begins and The Dark Knight - Inspired Two-Face
  • The Vengence of Bane - The Dark Knight Rises
  • Knightfall - The Dark Knight Rises
  • No Man's Land - The Dark Knight Rises
Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
#135 Posted by deactivated-5caa8c47e8598 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises: overrated. The Black Mirror: underrated. No Man's Land: overrated.

#136 Posted by jb681131 (3433 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises: overrated. The Black Mirror: underrated. No Man's Land: overrated.

Everyone got's his/her opinion but I don't see where/how The Black Mirror is underrated and No Man's Land is overrated. From what I saw here on facebook I would say in fact that it is more the contrary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
#137 Posted by deactivated-5caa8c47e8598 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Sorry about that. I was voicing my opinions in the overrated/underrated format. In reality, No Man's Land isn't overrated, I just don't like it.

#138 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinn4 said:

@dealthy_hallows:

Gotta be honest, it's rare that I come across a list that doesn't have The Long Halloween. Just a few examples

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/05/the-25-best-batman-comics-of-all-time/batman-the-cult

http://www.ign.com/articles/the-25-greatest-batman-graphic-novels

https://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/9624-the-15-best-batman-stories-of-all-time

The Dark Knight Rises alone takes inspiration from Long Halloween, Knightfall, and No Man's Land dude.

Hush is awful though.

#139 Posted by Butt_Man (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated

• The Killing Joker
  • Hush
  • Death in the Family
  • Hush
Avatar image for dealthy_hallows
#140 Posted by Dealthy_Hallows (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@devilwithinme: I wouldn't say Killing Joke is overrated. Considering most people use that as jokers origin story, and it shows his most sinister side of just how far he will go to push someone over the edge. But i guess in terms of people saying it's the best comic they have read... than yes it is overrated.

#141 Posted by Rurgandy (480 posts) - - Show Bio
#142 Edited by Reignmaker (2484 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Major works from Morrison and Miller. Pretty polarizing writers that I enjoyed for the most part, but they're both treated like the Second Coming of Jesus on this site. Miller has a greater right to the comparison in my mind, but I feel they both belong in this category.

Jeph Loeb's works could arguably be included, but it seems accepted that his works are more of a gateway drug to Batman comics, rather than the "end-all, be all" that Miller and Morrison frequently get credit for.

Underrated: Love the 10 Nights of the Beast mention. I also remember enjoying Batman Year 2 immensely. Maybe No Mans Land since it's been awhile, though there was massive hype around it at the time.

#143 Posted by FireKnight12 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: City of Crime from Detective, Spook story from LOTDK, there are some gems in 90's 80's and 70's batman comics.

#144 Posted by Eto (5366 posts) - - Show Bio

Under the Red Hood overrated? What the...

To each his own I guess.

#145 Edited by Combo-Man (314 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated

Batman: Full Circle

Overrated

The Dark Knight Returns

#146 Edited by silent_bomber (4951 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber said:

Overrated

• Dark Knight Returns
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Prey
  • The Long Halloween
  • Hush
  • Dark Victory
  • Venom
  • A Death in the Family
  • Son of the Demon
  • War Games
  • Murderer/Fugitive

Just Right

• Killing Joke (Just about, I strongly considered putting it in OR)
  • Year One
  • The Man Who Laughs
  • Gothik
  • Absolution
  • Mad Love
  • Tales of the Demon

Underrated

• Blind Justice
  • Strange Apparitions
  • Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder
  • Mortal Clay
  • Generations
  • Blades
  • Child of Dreams
  • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

Revising my old post

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#147 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: DKR

Underrated: Riddle Me That

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57
#148 Posted by deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57 (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Dark Knight Returns.

Underrated: Batman Confidential.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.