Underrated and Overrated Batman Comics?

• 145 results
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#51 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

Its goood to looks that people notice that Moore and Miller are not perfect.

#52 Posted by entropy_aegis (20994 posts) - - Show Bio

@cosmo111687 said:

@entropy_aegis: Yes! Although I never particularly cared for Batman Returns, that and the Animated Series instilled in me a life-long love of Batman in snowy environments. So discovering that there's a book that has that as it's focus with J. H. William III doing the art makes me very excited. :) Also, I really like Mr. Freeze. You may disagree with me on that, but that's fine. Frankly, it wouldn't be the first time you and I haven't seen eye-to-eye on something.

Freeze pretty much only has 2 good arcs and both in Legends of the Dark Knight,that's about it as far as his career is concerned.Hard for me to become a fan of his and if truth be told the Animated series sadly happens to be the first impression of these characters,guys like Freeze and Riddler would'nt even exist without it.

#53 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Frezze sure, but the Riddler actually have a bigger chance to be great.

Not like Frezze that i dont know why the hell he is a Batman villain?

Avatar image for rest_in_peace_ted_k0rd
#54 Posted by rest_in_peace_Ted_K0rd (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@revamp: no morrisons batman is pretty over rated i like morrisons batman but it's not the best run ever like some people say

#55 Posted by comicbookfan93 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run is overrated

#56 Edited by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys that think TDKR is overrated are silly. That book brought the grit and bada** part of batman back to batman. It also helped kick off the Bronze Age. Without that book batman would still be like he was in the silver age. We wouldn't have knightfall or any of the other dark and gritty bat stories that we have now. By definition that book is awesome.

Alan moore's the killing joke wasn't badly written but the only reason it's so famous is because it crippled Barbara. Otherwise it's just a decent little joker story about him failing to corrupt batman like always. It wasn't even supposed to be canon but DC ran with it because it was popular, which I hated.

Grant morrisons run isn't overrated if you ask me, it's highly regarded but hasn't ever been called the best batman ever so it's rated like it should be. I find the new 52 detective comics and hush and heart of hush underrated

#57 Posted by silent_bomber (4951 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated

• Dark Knight Returns
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Prey
  • The Long Halloween
  • Venom
  • A Death in the Family
  • Son of the Demon

Just Right

• Killing Joke (Just about, I strongly considered putting it in OR)
  • Year One
  • The Man Who Laughs
  • Gothik
  • Absolution

Underrated

• Blind Justice
  • Strange Apparitions
  • Two-Face: Eye of the Beholder
  • Mortal Clay
#58 Posted by DecoyElite (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Batman '66. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT THIS BOOK!

#59 Posted by Eternal19 (2178 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

You guys that think TDKR is overrated are silly. That book brought the grit and bada** part of batman back to batman. It also helped kick off the Bronze Age. Without that book batman would still be like he was in the silver age. We wouldn't have knightfall or any of the other dark and gritty bat stories that we have now. By definition that book is awesome.

People seem to be basing TDKR's quality more on historical significance and not on actual good writing. I have specific reasons for disliking TDKR.

1. bad art: Millers art didn't appeal to me. a lot of the pages in the book look like a 1st grader drew them.

2. character inconsistencies: So, batman quits because robin died and then when he becomes batman again he immediately gets another one, that doesn't make any sense. Batman says guns are the weapons of cowards, but he uses a gun at one point in the book. Superman fights communists for the government because he thinks it is the only way to save lives, this completely goes against superman's character. the mutants are portrayed as these evil murderous people, but batman gives them a dumb speech and they are turn into holy angels.

3. pedophile batman: I understand that it has been hinted that batman may have "feelings" for robin in the past, but miller makes it blatantly obvious and disturbing in this book.

#60 Posted by PeppeyHare (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

3. pedophile batman:

Stopped taking you seriously after this

#61 Posted by sinestro_GL (3651 posts) - - Show Bio

To everyone that is crying over the fact that some people didn't like Batman R.I.P. - get over it...people have opinions...

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#62 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23389 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

To everyone that is crying over the fact that some people didn't like Batman R.I.P. - get over it...people have opinions...

And people have the right to hold the opinion that those with other opinions are idiots.

This is why it's never good to take the self-righteous path, because it's riddled with potholes.

And Heart of Hush is underrated. As is "Slayride", and excellent Joker one shot.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
#63 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23389 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

People seem to be basing TDKR's quality more on historical significance and not on actual good writing. I have specific reasons for disliking TDKR.

1. bad art: Millers art didn't appeal to me. a lot of the pages in the book look like a 1st grader drew them.

2. character inconsistencies: So, batman quits because robin died and then when he becomes batman again he immediately gets another one, that doesn't make any sense. Batman says guns are the weapons of cowards, but he uses a gun at one point in the book. Superman fights communists for the government because he thinks it is the only way to save lives, this completely goes against superman's character. the mutants are portrayed as these evil murderous people, but batman gives them a dumb speech and they are turn into holy angels.

3. pedophile batman: I understand that it has been hinted that batman may have "feelings" for robin in the past, but miller makes it blatantly obvious and disturbing in this book.

You read this completely wrong.

If anything, Batman is creepily attracted to Carrie Kelly.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
#64 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

overrated: everything snyder, dark victory

underrated: superman for all seasons

#65 Edited by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19: It's an alternate universe story so superman isn't the same as he is on prime earth or anywhere else. i'm not saying you have to like it, but just telling you why its acceptable for superman to be this way, it's not canon. The art is your personal opinion so okay. And I don't rember anything that showed any type of sexual tension between robin and batman, at all.

Also batman got another robin after Jason died on earth prime too, Tim Drake.

I did find the part about the mutants weird, but maybe it's because they're dumb and batman just beat up their boss.

#66 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Alan moore's the killing joke wasn't badly written but the only reason it's so famous is because it crippled Barbara. Otherwise it's just a decent little joker story about him failing to corrupt batman like always. It wasn't even supposed to be canon but DC ran with it because it was popular, which I hated.

Grant morrisons run isn't overrated if you ask me, it's highly regarded but hasn't ever been called the best batman ever so it's rated like it should be. I find the new 52 detective comics and hush and heart of hush underrated

Mistake, Dennis ONeill made Batman darker and bring him back to his roots, long before we got the TDKR, sure its a really important point of Batman, but its impact is totally overrated, i mean Nolan movies take everything they could from the ONeill ideas.

Not seriously, the whole Shaolin Monks in Asia thing is ONeill idea, so the Al Ghuls and the plausible Batman.

People forget ONeill too much.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#67 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly so some people don't like DKR or Batman R.I.P, get over it. I don't think there's a single comic in existence that appeals to everyone. One of the greatest things about DKR is that it helped make Batman grim and gritty again as people have noted here, yet that's hardly the only version of Batman, and the super patriotic douche version of Superman we're introduced to is also not the only one. It's an Elseworld's story and so its allowed to show whatever version of a character it wants, however no one's required to like said version when there are so many others to choose from. (Personally I prefer Vampire Batman myself.)

That being said I personally love DKR, but also have never gotten the pedophile vibe from between Bruce and Carrie, but I hear that opinion a lot. Though I also haven't read it in years. Can anyone tell me where in the story they see this so I can re-read it for myself?

Now in terms of underrated I think Dark Victory certainly applies. People often compare it to Long Halloween, which i'll agree is superior, but never judge it on its own merits afterwards.

In terms of overrated, I also have to say Grant Morrison's Batman. It's good, very good in fact, but I feel some fans then take it too far and blow it out of proportion as if no other Batman story written by anyone else can compete with what he wrote.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#68 Edited by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

overrrated: long haloween, dark victory, hush

underrated: the Denny O'Neil comics

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
#69 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6518 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: The Long Halloween (I know it's popular, but I just love it so much!)

Overrated: The Dark Knight Returns (It's good and all, but the best comic ever? No. The best Batman comic ever? No.)

#70 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Underrated : Batman Red Rain, Dini and O'Neil's run come to mind but I don't know for sure.
  • Overrated : Snyder's run maybe.

#71 Posted by gor724 (895 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason I believe TDKR is so popular is due to Frank Miller bringing grit back to the character after television shows and the Silver Age made him...you know

That's exactly why it's so popular.

#72 Edited by silent_bomber (4951 posts) - - Show Bio

That being said I personally love DKR, but also have never gotten the pedophile vibe from between Bruce and Carrie, but I hear that opinion a lot. Though I also haven't read it in years. Can anyone tell me where in the story they see this so I can re-read it for myself?

To be honest it probably doesn't help that its very difficult to think of reasons why Batman would take on a young, untrained girl as his partner against dangerous criminals and murderers in the first place, that's INSANE, and ludicrously reckless.

and whilst I'm not making any personal accusations that Batman is definitely being a Paedo in DKR, I do think some pictures look kinda' iffy at times, so I'm not surprised that some people read it as that.

No Caption Provided

#73 Posted by GeekBait (789 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Dark Victory's pretty underrated. It's my personal favorite Batman story.

#74 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: You're right, how could I forget the guy that gave us the al ghuls? I still think TDKR had a larger impact and is more popular but whatever, O'neill was very important too.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#75 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Batman Inc vol 2

Every Batman story is rightfully overrated

#76 Posted by Black_Arrow (10298 posts) - - Show Bio

That is a contradiction

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#77 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultrastarkiller said:

That is a contradiction

I know I did it on purpose

#78 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: You're right, how could I forget the guy that gave us the al ghuls? I still think TDKR had a larger impact and is more popular but whatever, O'neill was very important too.

People does that, i dont know why, but for some reason people forget about many things.

Like Adam West being Batman before Keaton.

And before that being movies serials in black and white.

Batman being more reallistic, the villains being less gimmicked and that some characters names were changed with time.

People just simply ignore that there was Batman things gong on before the 80s.

#79 Posted by ViperKing (424 posts) - - Show Bio

Tower of Babel was definitely overrated to quite a degree. However, it isn't necessarily a "Batman" comic but rather a Justice League comic. Ten Nights of the Beast was underrated, especially by writers and artists. I personally believe he could've been a better character than Bane. Later, they showed him to be easily disposed of by Robin and Huntress.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#80 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (3301 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher said:

To be honest it probably doesn't help that its very difficult to think of reasons why Batman would take on a young, untrained girl as his partner against dangerous criminals and murderers in the first place, that's INSANE, and ludicrously reckless.

and whilst I'm not making any personal accusations that Batman is definitely being a Paedo in DKR, I do think some pictures look kinda' iffy at times, so I'm not surprised that some people read it as that.

No Caption Provided

Eh well that image alone is certainly a little unsettling.

#81 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

Tower of Babel was definitely overrated to quite a degree. However, it isn't necessarily a "Batman" comic but rather a Justice League comic. Ten Nights of the Beast was underrated, especially by writers and artists. I personally believe he could've been a better character than Bane. Later, they showed him to be easily disposed of by Robin and Huntress.

You are not the only one that belive KGBeast was more interesting that Bane.

Who had a great debut, but never live to the hype he got.

#82 Posted by ViperKing (424 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I absolutely agree with you. In that storyline, even Batman admitted he was more than a match for him. He didn't only have quite a fascinating background, he had the skills of Bane, the marksmanship of Deadshot, and cybernetic enhancements like Cyborg. He was a foe that Batman had to resort to trapping him underground to "defeat" him. In combat, KGBeast only fled due to believing Batman had brought back-up.

#83 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@viperking: Then saddly he got dumber and dumber.

Not even after the fact, it was pretty damn obvious he was smart enough to fight Batman in a fair fight.

Bane pretty much hurt Batman, but people often over looks, it was because Batman was tired.

KGBeast decide to take a a fight to Batman and then Batman had to capture him, because he couldnt win the fight at that moment.

Bane got a great debut, but he never did anything interesting, KGBeast had a weaker debut, but it was more solid as a character.

The main problem of Bane is beinf so inconsistent.

#84 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum

But I do like those stories though. Can't think of any underrated ones at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
#85 Edited by deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16 (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Killing Joker ( i still like it)

Underrated: Long Halloween

#86 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated : Snyder's run, Hush and The Killing Joke (I love TKJ but its nowhere near the best Batman comic and its all about the Joker, Moore made Joker the good guy in TKJ)

Underrated : Year One, despite being a Batman story most people here call it a Gordon story which is not true, its as much a Batman story as it is a Gordon story.

Btw Morrison's entire run specially RIP is the best Batman stories ever and possibly the most unique IMO. Nothing comes close.

#87 Edited by Saren (27944 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: A few stories in Batman Confidential like Lovers and Madmen and Do You Understand These Rights?

Overrated: Loeb's stuff. I also wasn't crazy about Year 100.

@rustyroy said:

Moore made Joker the good guy in TKJ

What?

#88 Posted by entropy_aegis (20994 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

Underrated: A few stories in Batman Confidential like Lovers and Madmen and Do You Understand These Rights?

Overrated: Loeb's stuff. I also wasn't crazy about Year 100.

@rustyroy said:

Moore made Joker the good guy in TKJ

What?

You learn something new every day.

#89 Posted by conradoaccorsi (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Court of Owls (ripped off concept, still people put it on top 10 Batman stories, have you ever heard of Denny O'Neil)

Underrated: Dark Knight, Dark City; Ten Nights of The Beast; Everything Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant and Doug Moench did.

#90 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

Over: The Long Halloween

Under: The Cult

#91 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: @saren: I meant he made him the central character, the guy who had a rough life and went crazy when he couldn't take it anymore.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#92 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated: Snyder, who is a genius

Overrated: loeb, whom I despise

#93 Posted by TDK_1997 (18923 posts) - - Show Bio

Underrated:Most definitely Under the Hood.I mean it wasn't brilliant and all but I enjoyed it quite much.

Overrated: Snyder's work.Black Mirror and Court of Owls were solid and were good reads but apart from these two stories everything else sucks so much.

#94 Edited by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: TDKR (not a bad story, just overrated) and Hush (same with TDKR)

Underrated: Face the Face, Batman and Robin Must Die!, Heart of Hush

Avatar image for solomongrundysm
#95 Posted by SolomonGrundySM (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#96 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio
@tdk_1997 said:

Underrated:Most definitely Under the Hood.I mean it wasn't brilliant and all but I enjoyed it quite much.

Yeah, I really liked Black Mask's fight with "Red Hood"

#97 Posted by SinnTek1 (2314 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated : Court of Owls.

Underrated : Black Mirror.

Oh look, same writer -.-

#98 Posted by Aahz (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated: Grant Morrisons Run, Hush, Black Mirror, Long Halloween, Dark Vicotry, A Death in the Family, A Lonley Place of Dying

Underrated: The Cult, The pre-crisis Jason Todd Story Line, Son of the Demon, "Where Were You on the Night Batman Was Killed?", the DCAU-Comics

Avatar image for perchance2dream
#99 Posted by Perchance2Dream (157 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Posted by gattorocco (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Secrets by Sam Kieth is a very good and down to the core explanation of the reason why Batman and Joker are enemies and for this reason It's a very well developed comic...Joker and Batman are enemies because to put it simply Joker is the bad/mad guy while Batman is the good/rational guy and because fans and people like them that way...Nothing more,nothing less

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.