Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Thinking of Jumping Back into Batman, any recommendations?

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've been off of comics for awhile and I was hoping to catch up on some cool storylines on my favorite character. Would love to see what's going on lately. Any recommendations on where to start? Appreciate all helpful answers in advance.

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman eternal and also batman and robin eternal,

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zer0-x said:

So, I've been off of comics for awhile and I was hoping to catch up on some cool storylines on my favorite character. Would love to see what's going on lately. Any recommendations on where to start? Appreciate all helpful answers in advance.

Well it all depends on when you stopped and what you had read.

For DC the Modern Age starts in 1986 with Crisis on Infinit Earth.

Then you can devide the Batman main timeline into small eras/ages with more or less importance for the future stories:

Origins and Early Years

1. Batman: Year One - Batman's origins by Franck Miller
    2. The Man Who Laughs - Follow up to Year One and first encounter with the Joker
    3. The Long Halloween + Dark Victory - Origins of Two-Face by Jeff Loeb/Tim Sale
    4. Robin: Year One - Origins of Robin 1 (Dick Grayson)
    5. Batgirl: Year One - Origins of Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
    6. Birth of The Demon + Son of The Demon - Introduction of Ra's Al Ghul and his daughter Talia.

Dark Times For The Family

1. Nightwing: Year One - Dick Grayson is in conflic and changes identity to Knigwing
    2. A Death In The Family - A new kid becomes Robin (Jason Todd) but gets killed. (Be carrefull with the "in" in the title)
    3. The Killing Joke - The Joker hits again and criples Batgirl by Alan Moore

New Faces - Prequels to the Saga Knightfall

• A Lonely Place of Dying - Robin 2 just died but ... to grieve Batman takes on another apprentice (Tim Drake)
    • Batman: Sword of Azrael - Introduction of Jean-Paul Valley (aka Azrael)
    • Vengeance of Bane - Very sad origins of Bane (Available in the Knightfall new omnibus)

Dark Times for Batman and Gotham - Chuck Dixon' run

1. Knightfall - Knightfall + Knightquest + KnightsEnd - Batman is broken by Bane, Azreal takes his place but doesn't follow Batman's rules. Finally Bruce manages to heal. (must read the new omnibus edition)
    2. Knightfall Aftermath - Prodigal + Troika (available in the knightfall new omnibus)
    3. Contagion + Legacy - Gotham gets infected by a virus
    4. Cataclysm + Aftermath + No Man's Land - Gotham becomes a war zone

New Gotham - No Man's Land Aftermath - Greck Rucka's run

1. Gotham Central - The Gotham police has to regain the controle of the city
    2. New Gotham: Evolution + New Gotham: Officer Down - or the New Gotham omnibus
    3. Bruce Wayne: Murderer ? + Bruce Wayne: Fugitive - Bruce Wayne is acused of a Murder. No Bruce Wayne, means no Batman.

Batman is caught-up by his past

1. Hush - An old friend returns to Gotham and new vilains pops up. Help by Catwoman, Batman will reveal his identity. (again by Jeff Loeb/Tim Sale)
    2. The Hush saga can be followed in Paul Dini's run: Heart of Hush + Streets of Gotham: Hush Money + Streets of Gotham: The House of Hush
    3. Under the Red Hood - Batman has to fight a mysterious red hooded vilain who is no other than...
    4. Batman & Son - Talia Al Ghul is back. Guess what, you've got a child. Damian Wayne (Robin 4) - Start of Grant Morrison's long run.

Batman against much greater forces - Grant Morrison's run

1. R.I.P. - The Black Glove organisation lead by Dr Hurt destroi what Batman stands for
    2. Batle for the cowl - During the Final Crisis event batman was sent in the past. Who is going to be the new Batman ?
    3. Batman and Robin: Batman reborn - Nightwing is the new Batman and patrols with Damian the new Robin.
    4. The Return of Bruce Wayne - Bruce Wayne travels trough time
    5. Batman Incorporated - Batman decides to create an international Batman-Familly. (half of the story continues in the New52 Batman Incorporated)

New52 (2011) - Flash disrupted time but Batman & Robin didn't get much affected

1. Batman and Robin (New52): Born to Kill - Establishes Batman and Robin's position in the New 52
    2. Court of Owls + Night of Owls - An organisation as been running Gotham in secrets for years.
    3. Death of the Family + Endgame + Superheavy - Return of Joker. He's even crazier than before. (Be carefull with the "of" in the title)
    4. Batman Incorporated: Demon Star / Gotham's Most Wanted - The New Batman-Familly fights the international organisation Leviathan. To hit Batman hard, they go on to kill his closest partner. (must read Born to Kill before and must read this before read the other Batman and Robin (New52))
    5. Batman and Robin (New52): Requiem for Damian - Sequel to Batman Incorporated
    6. Zero Year: A re-imagination of Batman's origin in the New 52.
    7. Batman Eternal + Batman & Robin Eternal - Maxi series that explore other aspects of Batman and Gotham.
    8. Batman and Robin (New52): Hunt for Robin / Robin Rises - Sequels to Requiem for Damian
    9. We Are Robin + Robin War - In the abscence of Robin (Damian Wayne), a mouvement "We Are Robin" formed. With Damian back, he will try to put an end to all this "Robin" mess.

Rebirth (2016) - Flash's time disruption is bringing back some elements from before

I am trilogy

1. Batman: I am Gotham
    2. Batman: I am Suicide
    3. Batman: I am Bane

A New team in Gotham

1. Detective Comics: Rise of the Batmen
    2. Detective Comics: The Victim Syndicate
    3. Detective Comics: League of Shadows

The Joker vs. The Riddler

1. Batman: The War of Jokes and Riddles

The New team is falling appart

1. Detective Comics: Deux Ex Machina
    2. Detective Comics: A Lonely Place of Living
    3. Detective Comics: Fall of the Batmen
    4. Detective Comics: Batmen Eternal

Batman is getting maried

1. Batman #24 - Every Epilogue is a prelude
    2. Batman: The Rules of Engagement
    3. Batman: Bride or Burglar
    4. Batman: The Weding
    5. Batman: Cold Days

The Return of Bane - Must read the I am Trilogy first

1. Batman: The Tyrant Wing

Dark Nights: Metal / Justice League: No Justice

1. Dark Nights: Metal - Nightmarish versions of Batman from the Dark Multiverse invade the DCU, as the demon Barbatos plots to pull the multiverse into the dark and replace it entirely.
    2. Justice League: No Justice

• So with all that you can start with Frank Miller's Year One.
    • The Knighfall/No Man's Land/New Gotham sagas have no incident on the futre.
    • You can also start with Grant Morrison's run if you don't care about origin stories, but I think it will be a little hard to fully understand his run.
    • Or you can start with Batman Rebirth, but I don't thing it's a very good run so far.

I hope this will clarify things for you.

Zer0-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: Thank you for taking the time to list all of these, I really appreciate it, it helps a lot. I think I read all of the origin stories and most of the dark times for the family, so I have an idea of where I'd like to go from there. Got a lot of material to go through, so it'll be fun to say the least. Thanks again!

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zer0-x said:

@jb681131: Thank you for taking the time to list all of these, I really appreciate it, it helps a lot. I think I read all of the origin stories and most of the dark times for the family, so I have an idea of where I'd like to go from there. Got a lot of material to go through, so it'll be fun to say the least. Thanks again!

It's been a pleasure. I've only listed the big stories,

But there are lots of other small ones that very interesting as well.

Most of these stories can be read on there own

• The many deaths of the Batman
    • Gothic - first story by Grant Morrison
    • Dark Knight, Dark City - by Peter Milligan
    • Batman: Prey + Batman: Terror - Batman vs. Dr Strange - by Doug Moench
    • Arkham Asylum: A serious house on a serious earth - great Joker Backstory
    • A bullet for Bullock - Detective Comics #651 <- a personal favorit
    • Broken City - by Ed Brubaker
    • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell - about lesser known vilains <- a personal favorit
    • War Drums + War Games + War Crimes
    • Batman: Snow - Great tale involving M. Freeze
    • The Return of Ra's Al Ghul - somewhat prequel to Grant Morrison's run
    • Gates of Gotham - by Scott Snyder
    • Joker - Graphic Novel by Brian Azzarello <- a personal favorit
    • Batman, The Dark Knight (New52): Cycle of Violence - A very dark story about Scarecrow <- a personal favorit
    • Penguin: Pain and Prejudice - Sad story about why the Penguin is how he is
    • Batman: White Knight - What if all this violence in Gotham is due to the Batman ?

There are also some very nice elseworld stories that should be read

• Tales of the Multiverse: Batman Vampire - Batman & Dracula: Red Rain + Batman: Bloodstorm + Batman: Crimson Mist
    • The Doom That Came to Gotham - Written by Mike Mignola (Hellboy's writter)
    • The Dark Knight Returns - By Frank Miller - Bruce is supposed to be retiered
    • Batman: Year 100 - By Paule Pope
    • Li'l Gotham - By Dustin Nguyen

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.