Scott Snyder Interview

#1 Posted by entropy_aegis (18490 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets just get right down to business here

Let’s talk a little about Duke Thomas, who’s been the focus of the “Cursed Wheel” back up stories for the duration of “All Star.” This issue left him in a bit of a tenuous spot — can you tease what readers should expect to see from Duke and his role in the Bat Family in the future?

Definitely. Duke’s played a big role for us in terms of supporting cast for a while and we want people to get used to seeing him with the Bat Family. I get worried sometimes that throwing somebody into the mix in Gotham without a “home” — no matter how cool the character may be — they can kind of wind up vanishing.

With Duke, it’s about long discussions with Geoff Johns and DC about finding the most viable place to land him. Is putting him in the mantle of a known character of somebody else that exists like a Robin or a Nightwing? Or is it trying something original?

We veered towards the latter, so with the next issue, you’ll see a big change in terms of his status and his mission. It’s going to lead into the story I’m doing with Greg Capullo. [Duke] evolves within that story, and you’ll see his role within the Family really crystallize at the beginning of the event [this summer].

So [the “Cursed Wheel”] is going to end with a bit of a cliffhanger. You’ll see the transformation of him into a character will have a very distinct role in Gotham, and with the rest of the Family; and also reveal things about some mysteries going on around the DC Universe as well.

How about wanting to tell good stories about him instead of wanting to see people get used to him? how about not worrying about him vanishing?

He's not even denying the the fact that he just wants this character to be a thing, he's not even denying his bias and favoritism. He wants Duke to be a mainstay and he's pretty much willing to do anything to get there.

Oh and remember Damian Wayne playing such a huge role in Final Crisis? yeah good times, also remember Dick Grayson getting top billing in Flashpoint...oh wait. Jesus how about pushing Grayson you know the guy getting his own movie in this event instead of Duke.

This is just ridiculous, it is desperate and frankly unprofessional. He's just pushing his pet for the sake of pushing him.

Any hints as to what his codename might be?

Yeah! Well, it’s all been decided. It’s actually been one of the biggest debates. Everybody has a name they want for him, and they’ve changed as his role has changed.

Here’s what I love about Duke as a character: He’s always believed, as a kind of outsider from the Family, that heroes are independent of their their inspiration. [He believes that] Robin was independent of Batman, and doesn’t “need” him in that way. Similarly, all the other [Gotham] heroes go out at night, Duke is starting to go out by day. The city is very different then. He’s following in the footsteps of his parents that way. So all this starts to crystalize around who he’s going to be.

There have been different names. As he’s evolved, people wanted to call him all kinds of bat terms, but I think we’ve settled on something that works

Batman of day? OKKKKKKKK

I’ve always really liked “Lark” for him, and that name got a little shout-out in this issue.

Yeah, I do too! Not to talk too “inside baseball” here, but the fact is that I’m really interested in giving a new writer [from my class] a chance with him, and an artist. So the concern I had with [the name Lark] was pointed out by DC, which I think is logical. It’s that that name doesn’t have quite the “teeth” for a series. It doesn’t sound…y’know, [Laughs] “Let’s go get ‘em!”

For as much as I like [the name], it needs a little more “muscle,” according to [editorial], and I would agree with that. So, we’ll see! These are the discussions we have long, long talks and lots of things on the board over.

The takeaway from it is this: At this point in my career, it means a lot more to me to try and create new characters and land them in ways that open up avenues for other writers and artists to drive in. I think [Duke] will get new kinds of stories. If he works [solo], nothing would make me happier. If he doesn’t, he’ll always have a home with the Bat Family.

You know I can understand someone wanting to push a character he's become so attached to that he wants to continue writing him and to do that he obviously needs more books. Snyder is willing to shill him so that...someone else can write him? WTF? how does this make sense?

Why is DC entertaining this non sense? Snyder and King are one jump the shark moment away from crashing the Batman line. All it'll take is another Bruce death and Duke as his placement storyline for that to happen. Already Tynion is bearing the criticism of what he's doing in Tec. Certainly I get the impression that Duke's codename will be Batman, YUP and by the looks of things we're gonna be getting a Batman book that finally fails with in a year if DC decides to publish a Batman book with Duke. The fact Snyder wont even write it by his own admission seals it.

This is just sad.

#2 Posted by TDK_1997 (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, what can I say that I haven't already. Snyder will keep pushing writers from his school to write characters that he wants, to grow, to actually become more popular. It is amazing how he managed to make me go from super excited about this summer event with Capullo to totally don't care because of flipping Duke Thomas.

Stop forcing him on us idiotic Batman editorial team, just stop it!

#3 Posted by belrev516 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Duke wont become Batman, that's absurd. Snyder does that and Duke is buried in a single hour.

I think Snyder knows that the possibility of Duke becoming Batman is one that most, if not all the fanbase would hate to see.

It won't happen for a lot of reasons and let's be honest, everyone is tired of a Batman Dies story. I sure as hell am.

#4 Posted by entropy_aegis (18490 posts) - - Show Bio

@belrev516: The arc after I am Bane is a flashback/set in the past. King will definitely do a death story and Snyder will use that to angle Duke as Batman.

Think about it, why are they taking so long to give him a name?

Its pretty sad really, notice how Snyder doesn't talk about story and direction for Duke. He talks about getting him a book and putting him in to his event.

I agree with Bane from Batman 19, I am done, I am out. I'm dropping Batman books in May. I'll keep Nightwing and Bane Conquest, maybe Batwoman. King's next story is a Joker arc anyway and then Snyder will write one a few months after King and then DC will do a 3 Jokers story around that time presumably. Tynion will use his 5 cliches till he dies and Snyder will write Batman till someone kicks him out.

#5 Edited by belrev516 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I'm telling you, Duke will not be Batman.

Snyder said that he will be someone along the lines of Nightwing but in Gotham. Do you think that DC would allow Snyder to make Duke Batman, a new character that is already hated by A LOT of people? They can't be that dumb to make Duke take on the role of Batman. If that happens the Batman title will fail in a year, maybe even less.

Think of this as well, from in universe. It doesn't make sense for Duke to be Batman. He is only SIXTEEN.

Bruce just came back as Batman and he's here to stay. With the popularity of Batman now, and the Batfleck solo coming up, BruceBats, never mind that BATMAN, is here to stay.

And Duke is a green in-universe, he won't be Batman point blank.

Duke will have his own hero identity and stay in Gotham as his own hero until he either: Dies, Retires, or goes to Limbo. In my case I'd welcome any of the three early.

There's nothing to worry about. As the flashback arc happens in the main Batman title, Bruce will still be doing his thing over in Detective, JLA, JL, and Trinity.

The whole arc is being made now because DC is ready to go full throttle with this Watchmen thing. Bruce ain't dying, and ain't giving up the mantle anytime soon.

#6 Posted by Enzo991 (350 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Bane from Batman 19, I am done, I am out. I'm dropping Batman books in May. I'll keep Nightwing and Bane Conquest, maybe Batwoman. King's next story is a Joker arc anyway and then Snyder will write one a few months after King and then DC will do a 3 Jokers story around that time presumably. Tynion will use his 5 cliches till he dies and Snyder will write Batman till someone kicks him out.

Speaking of issue 19, are we making a new topic to discuss that ? Because I have a lot to say about that piece of garbage. If anyone had any doubts that King was out of his mind, I think they need to take a look at that issue. I'm starting to see what you mean by saying Snyder is really the root of the majority of the problems the Batman books are having. King is just a symptom of that, and Tynion will keep writing mediocre stories until Snyder leaves and take him down with him.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#7 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

With Duke, it’s about long discussions with Geoff Johns and DC about finding the most viable place to land him. Is putting him in the mantle of a known character of somebody else that exists like a Robin or a Nightwing? Or is it trying something original?

We veered towards the latter, so with the next issue, you’ll see a big change in terms of his status and his mission

No, you tried to do the former and people weren't in favor of it.

At this point in my career, it means a lot more to me to try and create new characters and land them in ways that open up avenues for other writers and artists to drive in. I think [Duke] will get new kinds of stories. If he works [solo], nothing would make me happier. If he doesn’t, he’ll always have a home with the Bat Family.

You mean that at this point in your career you're concerned with ensuring some type of legacy through characters that you hope people will continue using/writing about after you're gone. If Duke doesn't get his own solo, you hope that he'll always be able to stick around by hanging around the cave and getting a mention every now and again.

Look, I get it. Everyone wants to have a Dick Grayson or a Damian Wayne, characters that were created and still exist years afterwards, who have even held their own titles. Hell, I imagine even more people would love to have a Terry McGinnis, a character who premiered in the animated realm at the head of his own show and was so loved that he got put into the comics time and again, but it just doesn't happen for everyone and trying to force your pet character down people's throats doesn't work either. It doesn't make you look good and it really just makes the fans hate the character that much more. Putting everything else aside, this then just wasn't the time to try to add a new sidekick/partner into the Bat Family. You could not have chosen a worse time in fact. So, instead of trying to water this dead flower, cut your losses, bury it, and move on.

#8 Posted by righteous300 (3131 posts) - - Show Bio

Duke won't be Batman especially since Snyder said Duke will be his own thing very soon. Him being the Nightwing of gotham but during the day makes plenty of sense. Lowkey you guys are being a bit dramatic.

#9 Posted by Epyon007 (292 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly depending on sales, which Batman just dipped below 100k. If the sales continue it's down trending, they will have to remove King off the book when Rebirth starts to wind down and conclude. Granted this wouldn't happen for another year so since rebirth is being spread out over the course of two years and we are a little under a year in.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#10 Posted by infantfinite128 (2868 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: What's keeping you until May? Aren't we done next issue?

@enzo991 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Speaking of issue 19, are we making a new topic to discuss that ? Because I have a lot to say about that piece of garbage. If anyone had any doubts that King was out of his mind, I think they need to take a look at that issue. I'm starting to see what you mean by saying Snyder is really the root of the majority of the problems the Batman books are having. King is just a symptom of that, and Tynion will keep writing mediocre stories until Snyder leaves and take him down with him.

"Oh, is the water rising again? Are you going to drown, little boy?" I'm glad Bane didn't respond "Mommy". His use of "Bane" was ridiculous though. It's more of King's lame meat head dialogue. Bane taking down the villains was way better than Batman in issue 14 because of the time skip showing that the battles went on for awhile, and there was no extremely lazy stale rooftop repetition. It was still boring brute force, and it's still weird that he's still continuing his speech over hours. Am I missing something? It's the same thing with Batman 14 except it's not the exact same rooftop in the exact same location, so once again it's still better.

1:00 am Hi, my name is

1:57 am John Smith. Pleased to

3:00 am meet you. How are you doing

6 pm today Mrs. Doe? Are you

9 pm feeling better?

I think King has made Batman and his supporting cast look like chumps. I want to see Bane kick Batman's butt in Batman 20, and then I'm done with Batman. You can see how desperately I tried to defend this run and how I gushed over Bane after seeing pretty pictures. I just finished reading, and I usually just gush without thinking because I'm just excited to get a new Batman comic. I didn't get that at all in this issue. The only thing I got was Bane's line about Batman being a bigger jerk than I thought, and I'll be happy if Bane smash puny Bat into oblivion.

#11 Posted by Eto (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Well, I'm curently only readin ASBatman and will pick up Batman due to "The Button" story arc. Afterwards I'll drop it again. Can't handle it no more

#12 Posted by entropy_aegis (18490 posts) - - Show Bio

@enzo991: lol, feel free to use the preview thread.

@infantfinite128:Still have the aftermath issue, wouldn't have bothered but apparently the epilogues of King's stories have more content than the main arcs.

#13 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (5904 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually...Snyder had Gordon becoming Batman, and DC allowed it...and now, seeing as how desperate he is to ensure his legacy, and how he fanboys over Duke...yeah, i could see it happening...

#14 Posted by Bat_Girl_CC (5904 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not, though. Although it wouldn't last i'm sure, fan reaction would be too negative.

#15 Posted by Epyon007 (292 posts) - - Show Bio

If the article on bleeding cool is accurate, sounds like we will be getting another zero year story called the war of jokes and riddles between Batman, Joker and Riddler. I think I'll bail once that starts. Zero Year was a bloated pile of crap as far as I'm concerned and I'm not remotely interested in another origin story.

#16 Posted by belrev516 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

So with the June solicits out, we need not worry. Bruce is alive and kicking.

Though the All Star Batman #11 summary caused me to groan so hard. Read it and you'll see why -_-.

#17 Posted by entropy_aegis (18490 posts) - - Show Bio

So with the June solicits out, we need not worry. Bruce is alive and kicking.

Though the All Star Batman #11 summary caused me to groan so hard. Read it and you'll see why -_-.

Yeah, I thought I would keep ASB but that's a drop too now, maybe I'll return when Murphy comes on board. Another typical Snyderism.

Dont like the one for the King book either, zero interest in Joker right now and I hate when writers write big epics and then shirk away from exploring the ramifications of said epic like the upcoming arc will. Another Snyderism that I have grown to detest but this time its in King's book. A long flashback arc after big storylines is just insane, drop.

#18 Posted by Lhynn (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder is a bad writer with a few good ideas that he told in the first few years of writing batman, he ran out of gas long ago and has been hurting the batbooks since.

Duke is a non entity and will hopefully disappear as soon as people stop buying snyder crap just because he was the guy that wrote the black mirror.

King simply cant nail batmans voice, or almost anyone elses voice for that matter.

Tynion has been writing fanservice since day one, his work in detective it isnt bad, but its shallow and bound to get old fast.

#19 Edited by Black_Arrow (8502 posts) - - Show Bio
@nathaniel_christopher said:

We veered towards the latter, so with the next issue, you’ll see a big change in terms of his status and his mission

No, you tried to do the former and people weren't in favor of it.

To be fair to Snyder, He always had Lark as the endgame for Duke. Duke might have become Robin at some point in Snyder's original plan but he was going to end up as Lark, we see hints of this in Detective Comics 27 (New 52 of course) and Batman 35.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

As you can see Snyder wanted Bluebird and Lark to be the two main partners of Batman. So I wouldn't be surprise if Harper Row appears again.

@entropy_aegis: On the pics above, we can already see that this is old news. Snyder always planned to give Duke and Harper permanent places on the Batcave. Heck that's Batcave after ten generations of Batman and Their costumes are still there.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (18490 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by charmian (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I always think that one of the reasons that Damian worked so well was because he was never meant to be a permanent character, and could thus start as a very unpleasant and universally unliked addition. No way they would have ever otherwise risked it.

Another very important thing was that the other characters disliked Damian too at the beginning. I think this paradoxically helps the audience to accept the character more easily. Compare this to Harper Row who was inexplicably like by everyone on page, and Duke who gets along with even Batman (!?) without issue. As a reader, I feel this patronizing as I have yet to given any explanation why I should like this new character.

And concerning Snyder's interviews, he gave one also to newsarama*, and I especially enjoy this addition:

"I'd like [Duke] to be a character that we give someone new a chance on — you know, and I'll help with it."

it nicely echoes with this posted above

"At this point in my career, it means a lot more to me to try and create new characters and land them in ways that open up avenues for other writers and artists to drive in. I think [Duke] will get new kinds of stories."

So in other words, even Snyder HIMSELF doesn't particularly want to write about Duke, he just wants Duke to be there. This would still be somewhat doable, if Duke had an established personality, place in Batfamily or any kind of conflict that would enable people to write about of him, but there is a reason why Duke has not appeared anywhere else -- there is no story to tell!

Just compare this to Damian who simply needs to interact with a new character for there to be a story. It has thus far worked with Bruce, Dick, Alfred, Tim, Jason, Stephanie, Helena Wayne, Kara, Deathstroke, Teen Titans (both iterations), Gordon, Jon Kent etc.)

(*as newbie can't link to is straight but add this to the end: "33611-scott-snyder-spoiler-sport-duke-s-future-all-star-batman-s-format-change" + html at the end)

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#22 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow True enough, the Lark thing has been on the table for a while. I'm actually surprised the character wasn't immediately being called Lark when he debuted in the new costume.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harper appears again, but i'm not expecting it. Overall, Snyder has paid far more attention to Duke than he has to appear, just in terms of the number of stories and continued appearances. At this point, Harper seems to have faded into the background, whereas Snyder is still trying to make Duke as a part of the Bat Family work. Not denying that he originally had plans for her to take a large(r) role, but it seems that he's moved on from those plans to focusing on Duke.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.