Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Off My Mind: Could Flashpoint Batman Survive the DCU Revamp?

• 66 results
    fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By fitchy101

MULTIPLE BATMEN!

fitchy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By fitchy101
    @ThomasElliot said:
    Am I still  the only person who thinks its uncanny that there's 52 new comic titles in the DCU, where there are 52 established alternate Earths?
    I'm pretty sure DC stated somewhere that 52's there magic number. Or something to a similar effect.
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By ThanosIsMad

If DC pulls an Age of Apocalypse, I'm punching them all in the face.  This is a horrible idea.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#54  Edited By cbishop

Okay, this is said without having read Flashpoint, or really, anything DC since Final Crisis started (I just haven't had the money for comics for awhile).  I've been keeping up with the bullet points, through CV articles and such.  I don't think Thomas Wayne being alive is a good idea, and I think him being Batman is a horrible idea.  I understand the stories have been decent, but it completely flips everything about Bruce Wayne's Batman into a topsy-turvy spin.  The death of Bruce's parents is integral to his origin and his motivations.  If Thomas was Batman first, then it changes Bruce's characterization completely. 

Before seeing a new DCU, where Thomas Wayne was the first Batman, I'd much rather see a DCU where Bruce Wayne was Batman as a member of the original JSA, and have someone else (Dick Grayson) as the present day Batman... or even see Bruce surviving into the present via Lazarus pits, like in Superman/ Batman: Generations.  Bruce Wayne is Batman - period.  Thomas Wayne as Batman is a great Elseworlds, but horrible as continuity.  And this has nothing to do with liking one Batman over the other - it's simply bad writing to change the core of a character so drastically. 

On the other hand, I'd be all for a change to the mythos of Superman - I could easily imagine changes to what we've always understood about Krypton... things that would drastically change Superman's world.  The key there though is that it wouldn't change Superman.  Superman would still be the same character, he would just have the ginormous shock of dealing with new information about his home planet's history.  That's not the same as bringing back Bruce's parent, which would change everything about him as Batman.  Heck, you could even bring back Superman's parents, and it wouldn't change who Superman is.  If someone at DC wants a Batman who still has his daddy around, they need to be slapped and told to invent a character that fits that story, and leave Batman alone. 

Grifter (and other Wildstorm characters) being introduced into the DCU is a different story.  That's like introducing the Charlton heroes into DC - something that just has to be done, somewhere along the way.  I will say that I was surprised by it though.  Even though DC bought the Wildstorm imprint, I thought the characters were all still creator-owned.  I never realized that DC owned them.  That saddens me to a degree, because I expect that the Wildstorm characters will become shadows of their former selves, as residents of the DCU.  Still, Grifter in the DCU does have its possibilities.  And Deathblow in the DCU means that After the Fire might be continuity now. ;)

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By perry_411

I'd subscribe to the Thomas Wayne Batman series. A Batman taken back to his brutal murdering roots is the way to go.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I think it would be interesting to see more of Thomas Wayne Batman, I have been reading Count Down to Final Crisis and if you remeber in their they have a Batman that teams up with Jason Todd and is willing to kill. I like the limited variety but I am not sure I want to I would want to have him every way. He is an interesting flavor.
    mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

seeing grifter in flashpoint makes me wonder who else from wildstorm will eventually pop up in the flashpoint books... just do not let any of them become green lanterns! 

Avatar image for theblaquebasterd
    THEBlaqueBasterd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By THEBlaqueBasterd
    @Walker2814: FINALLY!!! 

Someone talkin some sense &savin Me from havin to.. jeeeez lool  

the alt batman redemptive death/glimpse of the father he could have had by Bruce is THE ONLY LOGICAL (inshallah/godwilling) OUTCOME..  
    But then again these ppl sell comics for a livin, &we're in a recession wher bottom line means more than the artform even more these days..any ole bullshit could endup happenin
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Dark Cell

Nah, its established that Bruce's family died, to change it would be to promp another reboot.

ScarlettLynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By ScarlettLynn

No.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By labarith

1.  It's a reboot.  It's just not a complete reboot.  You can shove Superman's not married ^&(*&O down those "it's not a reboot" jerks faces. 

2.  The idea of Thomas having not have died is not "FP Batman"... FP Batman is this guy - the guy from FP's universe.  Your ideas is more like a giant fake-out/cheap trick. 

3.  That said, if X-man escaped AOA, I don't see why FP Batman can't escape FP.  The question is what would he do when he returns.  And that, truth be told, I'd be willing to read a story about... 

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

Wow, everyone of these books looks great. 

Blackhawks looks like GI Joe, Hex looks like it has a balance between Old West and Modern times (Police Force and Arkham) and those look the least interesting! very interesting reads!

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#63  Edited By Maki_P

Well some people survived the Crisis (Kara Zor-L, Ch'p)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

"He's  Batman,  surviving is what he DOES"-Superman

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By GT-Man

ATLAST can it be? A BADAZZ BATMAN THAT ACTUALLY KILLS HIS CRIMINALS FOR ONCE ON PURPOSE YESSSSSSS FINALLY NEVER KNEW BATS FATHER COULD BE SUCH A BADAZZ EVEN BETTER THAN BATS HIMSELF TO ME LOVE THE RED EYES btw

BigRed125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BigRed125

Personally I think bringing Thomas Wayne into the normal DCU has a lot of potential story wise.  Personally I think its an excellent idea if DC really wanted to flush out Bruce Wayne's character even more.  There are many differences between how Bruce fights crime and how Thomas does.  I mean Thomas is more of a destroyer of the wicked, as opposed to Bruce who is more of a protector of the innocent.  Their crime fighting styles are both polar opposite of each other to the point that Bruce could declare that this Thomas is not his father.  And who's to say that Thomas even wants Bruce to be Batman?  I can easily see this becoming a war of the batmen. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.