Is Year One the best...

#1 Posted by JoeEddie (555 posts) - - Show Bio

story that tells the origin of Batman? How many times has his origin been told? I am assuming a few retelling because of the crises events

#2 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.

#3 Posted by LuigiBat (231 posts) - - Show Bio

I like everything about Year One apart from the fact that Miller's Batman/Bruce Wayne is pretty much insane. I mean, the guy was gonna blow his own brains out were it not for a massive Bat bursting in through the window and landing on the sculpture of his father's head. Other than that it is quite rightly the definitive origin of Batman.

#4 Posted by JoeEddie (555 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

I like everything about Year One apart from the fact that Miller's Batman/Bruce Wayne is pretty much insane. I mean, the guy was gonna blow his own brains out were it not for a massive Bat bursting in through the window and landing on the sculpture of his father's head. Other than that it is quite rightly the definitive origin of Batman.

So, should I pick it Year One up for his origin or something else?

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29887 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his best origin. Pick it up.

#6 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

Is Year One the best story that tells the origin of Batman?

I think so. That's the most popular version of his origin and still a very good read. You should definitely pick it up, a must read for all Batman fans!

How many times has his origin been told? I am assuming a few retelling because of the crises events

Probably several times in flashbacks, with maybe a few retcons and added details but nothing really important. Unlike the various retellings of Superman's origins, Batman: Year One was always considered the definitive Batman origin Pre-Flashpoint though it's probably not canon in The New 52.

You might also like Batman: Earth One, a different take on the origin of Batman, written by Geoff Johns and illustrated by Gary Frank. While not perfect it's still a great and interesting story with a very badass version of Alfred!

#7 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat said:

That's a bit of an overstatement. He wasn't suicidal or anything. He was just emotional and brooding because his first take failed. We've all had moments like that. I actually think YO is one of the saner versions of Batman.

#8 Posted by LuigiBat (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@LuigiBat said:

That's a bit of an overstatement. He wasn't suicidal or anything. He was just emotional and brooding because his first take failed. We've all had moments like that. I actually think YO is one of the saner versions of Batman.

I guess what spoils YO Bruce Wayne/Batman for me is what he turns into in TDKR. I just don't like Miller's Batman all that much, I appreciate the influence it has had on the works published since then but I think his Batman is just a little too close to being insane for my liking. I'm sure you could find a more insane version of Batman, I won't question that, but I just don't really like how the definitive origin of the character is one that depicts him as being 'over the edge' as it were in terms of his mental well-being.

Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what Snyder cooks up for us in Batman #0 and how he'll spin the origin of the character, he's already radically altered Mr Freeze's origin story so it'll be interesting to see what he does with the character and how it compares to Miller's origin story.

#9 Posted by AtPhantom (14434 posts) - - Show Bio

@LuigiBat: I can relate to that. I didn't like TDKR's Batman all that much myself. I find it much easier to view all of MIller's work as separate continuities, no matter what he says.

Is issue 0 supposed to be an origin issue though? Cramming his entire origin into a single comic seems like a bad idea, and that's not usually what issue 0 is there for anyway.

#10 Posted by LuigiBat (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@LuigiBat: I can relate to that. I didn't like TDKR's Batman all that much myself. I find it much easier to view all of MIller's work as separate continuities, no matter what he says.

Is issue 0 supposed to be an origin issue though? Cramming his entire origin into a single comic seems like a bad idea, and that's not usually what issue 0 is there for anyway.

Yeah I suppose. I read Year One first, for obvious reasons, and then went on to TDKR. In a way it actually made me quite sad to think that YO Batman went on to be like that, and All Star Batman and Robin just made me completely despise Miller's interpretation of the character.

I've been under the impression that issue 0 will feature some kind of retelling or altering of Miller's origin. Found this quote from Snyder regarding it though.

And then we have our #0 issue, which I'm really excited about, and it will give you an important slice of Bruce's life from when he first gets back to Gotham after his travels. It will happen within the shadows of Batman: Year One, taking place in a moment of time that you haven't seen. And I think it will be very surprising to people and exciting. You'll see some things that will catch you off guard and will get you excited to see what's coming.

Personally I'm not sure what to expect of the issue. Writers have a habit of saying they're doing one thing, and then go off and do something vastly different. I'd certainly like to see them expand upon Miller's origin or indeed alter it in some respects,but as you say cramming an origin into one issue wouldn't be a wise decision.

#11 Posted by JoeEddie (555 posts) - - Show Bio

So, should I pick up issue #0 as well?

#12 Posted by LuigiBat (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

So, should I pick up issue #0 as well?

I'd say it's worth picking up both.

One of the issues of Batman and Robin (can't remember which off the top of my head) has a very lengthy section on Batman's training days too, might be worth picking that issue up too.

#13 Posted by comicdude23 (11902 posts) - - Show Bio

Over time I came to realise how overrated Y1 was. It was boring and hard to follow, didn't really have a main villain. Batman was very, very raw (more so than the Nolan version), I'm being honest. He was rough but determined and obsessed, he wasn't insane. He was determined, it starts boring but build to a worthwhile climax. It also features Catwoman but sea heavily under-developed. In terms of comics yes it's the best but just wait for #0, if I were you.

#14 Posted by JoeEddie (555 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks! When is issue # 0 out?

#15 Posted by LuigiBat (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoeEddie said:

Thanks! When is issue # 0 out?

Issue 0 comes out in September, not sure when exactly though.

#16 Posted by kingjoeg (711 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not really the full origin story as you don't see Bruce when he was younger when joe chill murdered his parents, also when he goes around the world and learns to fight with Henry Ducard. Batman year one is the story of Bruce Wayne's first year as batman, anything before that isn't in the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.