Is Ra's al Ghul arab or English?

Avatar image for masterdetective
#1 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

Or maybe both? or neither?

please help me T-T

Avatar image for joygirl
#2 Posted by Joygirl (21033 posts) - - Show Bio

Arabic I believe. English accent makes him seem more sophisticated.

Avatar image for masterofchaos
#3 Posted by MasterofChaos (1150 posts) - - Show Bio

Himalayan. I don't know, the thing said Arabian.

Avatar image for htb106
#4 Posted by htb106 (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Arab, if he was english people would take the mick out of his accent. the english accents on your TV's aren't real!

Avatar image for video_martian
#5 Posted by Video_Martian (5650 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Arabic.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
#6 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1196 posts) - - Show Bio

he is arabic...and there are no people in the world called "himalayan"

Avatar image for cattlebattle
#7 Posted by cattlebattle (16025 posts) - - Show Bio
@cloudzackvincent said:

he is arabic...and there are no people in the world called "himalayan"

There are cats though
Avatar image for batteredarmor
#8 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

Arabic

Avatar image for soa
#9 Posted by SoA (6244 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought he has english who took on a arab name ,

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
#10 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1196 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@cloudzackvincent said:

he is arabic...and there are no people in the world called "himalayan"

There are cats though

lol yea but ra's al ghul doesn't look like a cat to me.. ;P.. or maybe he is a super intelligent seal point himalayan with the power to shapeshift....

Avatar image for ssejllenrad
#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (13104 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics/DCAU - Arab

Nolanverse -I dunno. Liam is Irish-born American. Ken Watanabe is Japanese. Ducard (with whom he merged with) should've been French.

Avatar image for sethysquare
#12 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe he is African American

Avatar image for r3d_rob1n
#13 Edited by r3d_rob1n (543 posts) - - Show Bio

He is arabic. I believe the full origin currently in use (at least I think currently since I haven't heard different from the New 52) can be found in the Ressurection of Ra's al Ghul arc.

Over his 600 year life span he spent a lot of time in Europe, having been shown in the Napoleonic Wars fighting for the British, this is a possible explanation for his accent

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
#14 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1196 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: african american?? why do u think so??

Avatar image for sethysquare
#15 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@cloudzackvincent said:

@sethysquare: african american?? why do u think so??

It was a stupid answer for a stupid question.

Avatar image for battyfan1
#16 Posted by battyfan1 (203 posts) - - Show Bio

he is an arab...thats pretty much obvious i thought

Avatar image for batshrine
#17 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually arab infers he is from an Arab tribe, but from everything we have seen he is actually from a tribe that doesn't exist anymore. So it would be better to guess Assyrian, Persian, Surdan, Babylonian, or any other Middle Eastern, or Central Asian (primarily Turkic) tribes. His name is arabic though, and he is probably fluent in it, and who knows he could be an Arab. But it is actually unknown.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#18 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: How is my question stupid??

Avatar image for sethysquare
#19 Posted by sethysquare (3965 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective: Because a master detective like you should've been able to solve anything isnt it?

LOL. JK.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#20 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

Heck even the new theme song in the TDKR movie uses arabic words.

Avatar image for ninacolada
#21 Posted by NinaColada (39 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Arabic. He has lived for centuries thanks to his various Lazarus Pits. Throughout these times he has travelled to Europe and this is most likely where he acquired his accent.

Avatar image for batshrine
#22 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

what theme song?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#23 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

what theme song?

The one you heard at the end of the first trailer, many people belive it say, Matalo, Matalo, Bane, Bane.

Actually say rises in arabic.

Deshi Basara

I means he rises.

Loading Video...

Or they say, Messi, Barca, what could mean Bane like Soccer.

Avatar image for darthshap
#24 Posted by DarthShap (880 posts) - - Show Bio

He is probably half-Arabic, half Japanese (his father is the Sensei).

Avatar image for mega_spidey01
#25 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought he was arab, just like talia al ghul was in batman arkham city. movies are always up for debate since they change things to sell the movie.

Avatar image for darthshap
#26 Posted by DarthShap (880 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I am surprised I was the first to mention his Japanese origins. It is not exactly news, it has been revealed in 2007 in the Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul crossover.

Avatar image for powerherc
#27 Posted by PowerHerc (86184 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Middle Eastern.

Avatar image for batshrine
#28 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: So I speak arabic, deshi is not a word, and bashar means people, adding an a to the end makes it singular how ever bashara does not mean person or a people. So it may have similar routes but that "theme" is not in arabic.

And what does that have to do with Ra's since this movie is about Bane...and he is from a Spanish speaking island.

Avatar image for darthshap
#29 Edited by DarthShap (880 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: So I speak arabic, deshi is not a word, and bashar means people, adding an a to the end makes it singular how ever bashara does not mean person or a people. So it may have similar routes but that "theme" is not in arabic.

And what does that have to do with Ra's since this movie is about Bane...and he is from a Spanish speaking island.

Liam Neeson was confirmed to appear in the movie. Marion Cotillard is still rumored to be some kind of Talia and a few months ago, we had a picture of a Lazarus pit.

Avatar image for no_name_
#30 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Actually arab infers he is from an Arab tribe, but from everything we have seen he is actually from a tribe that doesn't exist anymore. So it would be better to guess Assyrian, Persian, Surdan, Babylonian, or any other Middle Eastern, or Central Asian (primarily Turkic) tribes. His name is arabic though, and he is probably fluent in it, and who knows he could be an Arab. But it is actually unknown.

I also always thought he was Persian.

Avatar image for no_name_
#31 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@MasterDetective: Because a master detective like you should've been able to solve anything isnt it?

LOL. JK.

Be nice.

Avatar image for mercy_
#32 Posted by Mercy_ (94572 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@batshrine said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: So I speak arabic, deshi is not a word, and bashar means people, adding an a to the end makes it singular how ever bashara does not mean person or a people. So it may have similar routes but that "theme" is not in arabic.

And what does that have to do with Ra's since this movie is about Bane...and he is from a Spanish speaking island.

Liam Neeson was confirmed to appear in the movie. Marion Cotillard is still rumored to be some kind of Talia and a few months ago, we had a picture of a Lazarus pit.

Joey King confirmed in an interview that she's playing a young Talia.

Moderator
Avatar image for darthshap
#33 Posted by DarthShap (880 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Joey King confirmed in an interview that she's playing a young Talia.

Makes sense. If your are going to cast an Irish actor to play an asian-arab character, you kind of have to cast a French actress for his daughter. ^^

Avatar image for mercy_
#34 Posted by Mercy_ (94572 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: lol

Moderator
Avatar image for sj_esposito
#35 Posted by sj_esposito (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Read the wiki. It's literally in the first paragraph.

Avatar image for batshrine
#36 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

Better yet, read his origin story Birth of a Demon. You'll see he isn't an Arab. His tribe speaks a dead language, that Ras himself killed off

Avatar image for madmerc
#37 Posted by MadMerc (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Ra's always looked old school Klingon to me.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#38 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: It was Deshay Basara actually and it looks some guys i confuse it with arab ,also even the movie cofirms the fact that even when "Ras" was english in this century, the group was older that the modern civilizations, this confirms at least that they werent asians and they just move to China, what means even Nolanverse original Ras was an arab.

Avatar image for batshrine
#39 Posted by batshrine (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathpooltheT1000: Ok your logical premises (is that plural for premise?) are very off.

1. Ras is arab because theme song is in arabic) Not only is that an illogical jump, I just proved to you that theme song is not in arabic. So there goes that premise.

2. Ras moves around every century therefore he is an arab) Best way to disprove this is by showing an example of a false premise by the same argument. Marco Polo moves around therefore he is an arab. Vandal Savage moves around therefor he is an arab.

Especially in Nolan Verse, there is NOTHING arab about Ras other than his inspired name, which we know he wasn't born with. I mean everyone know Barack Hussain Obama is CLEARLY muslim :-P. At least in the comics he is from a tribe in the middle east, so that argument has better footing, yours does not at all.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#40 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18985 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: I say the original, not Henry Ducard, Liam Neeson isnt Ras the original, is a name used by many guys, the original Ras is the one that created the group, also the group lives in China, that is part of the origin of Ras, the nomad tribe he lived got into Arabia from China, the guys knew Martial Art because of that, the original Ras was Arab or Asian or a mix of Arab and Asian.

Even Nolanverse original Ras isnt a white guy.

Also Sensei is his father and the guy is chinesse, so there is no way the guy could be white, also i understand people that say Ken Watanabe was Sensei, it was asian and older that "Ras".

http://www.comicvine.com/ras-al-ghul/29-40816/nolanverse-ras-theory/92-672683/

Avatar image for sydpart2
#41 Posted by Sydpart2 (1167 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

Better yet, read his origin story Birth of a Demon. You'll see he isn't an Arab. His tribe speaks a dead language, that Ras himself killed off

This is the best answer on the thread thus far. His people, whom he carried out genocide on, traveled over the course of decades from asia to the middle east, setting up a civilization and empire along the way. He destroyed all remnants of this empire so the question doesn't quite work. Geographically he comes from the middle east, since he was born at the height of the empire's expansion. But as far as any particular race he doesn't have one that we can classify since he was born in a high class which means both his parents were from the civilization he destroyed. He's got Asian genetic roots but good luck determining which part, and he was born in the deserts.

Avatar image for geek_alert1993
#42 Posted by geek_alert1993 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Arabic with Chinese decent in the comic books. In the film and comics he's been living for many centuries and is experienced in many dialects, but it is presumed he was from a Arabic speaking country. In the dark knight rises the prison where his daughter was born in is Albania

Avatar image for ganon15
#43 Posted by ganon15 (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics/DCAU - Arab

Nolanverse -I dunno. Liam is Irish-born American. Ken Watanabe is Japanese. Ducard (with whom he merged with) should've been French.

Avatar image for jb681131
#44 Posted by jb681131 (1817 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: I don't know why you need help.

To get all the information you need there are 2 books to read:

You will learn that "Ra's Al Ghul" is Arabic for "The Demon's Head". You will also learn that 600 hundred years ago he was part of a tribe of nomads in the dessert of Arabia. Is he Arab ? Is he Chinese ? Is he Persian ? But he clearly doesn't seem and look english a bit.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
#45 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (3250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

@masterdetective: I don't know why you need help.

To get all the information you need there are 2 books to read:

You will learn that "Ra's Al Ghul" is Arabic for "The Demon's Head". You will also learn that 600 hundred years ago he was part of a tribe of nomads in the dessert of Arabia. Is he Arab ? Is he Chinese ? Is he Persian ? But he clearly doesn't seem and look english a bit.

I highly doubt that the person needs help after 4 years.

Avatar image for wrucebayne
#46 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

He's from Naples.

Avatar image for rustyroy
#47 Posted by RustyRoy (16535 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely Arab

Avatar image for nerevarine_11
#48 Posted by Nerevarine_11 (9700 posts) - - Show Bio

Arabic. Like, its in his name and apperances.

Avatar image for krleavenger
#49 Posted by KrleAvenger (19793 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for brucerogers
#50 Posted by BruceRogers (6064 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't he (post crisis at least) originate from a tribe of nomads from China?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.