Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Is Batman a good father?

• 92 results
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

I mean the images could be jokes, but still is a good qeustion, did he help Dick, Jason and Tim to be bettter? is their lifes better becuase of Batman? they are better human being becaue what Batman teach them? I mean did he was a good father?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By r3d_rob1n

A good father would never allow his child to dress in tights and go up against armed thugs and psychopathic serial killers.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

He is the originator of child endangerment in comics

Mortacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mortacai

I would say yes and no, there are things that are really messed up that he does. There are also some really touching moments.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor

Hell no

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Onemoreposter

No seems the obvious answer I guess. However, wouldn't you say the best measure of a man's skill is to take a look at their work? I'd say Richard Grayson turned out pretty damn well.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Onemoreposter said:

No seems the obvious answer I guess. However, wouldn't you say the best measure of a man's skill is to take a look at their work? I'd say Richard Grayson turned out pretty damn well.

I direct your attention to pre new 52 Jason Todd

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By RedOwl_1

About parental instincts.... he sucks, I mean "Let's train this 9 year old kid, make he a crimefighter and don't leave he wear any tights" What a reasonable thinking!

About relationships.... depends:

• I mean everything was cool (too cool that was weird) with Dick
    • His relationship with Jason.... one word = FAIL
    • Tim.... well is the best one, but because he had his own parents and was Robin at same time, he adopted Tim after his biological parents died
    • Cass o_o I don't even know about it
    • And the "best one" Damian, I mean if you have read current Batman and Robin you know their relationship STINKS, Bruce wants respect but Damian needs his trust to respect he and Bruce doesn't want to trust he until Damian respects he :S a pair of stubborn guys

About education, pff don't even make me start with the billionaire stuff and in grade of morals, don't even Superman can teach them better (weeeell maybe, at least lees harder)

Answer: I don't think so

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Onemoreposter

@BlackArmor: Well sure, every once in a while a carpenter creates a table with a slight wobble or a chef overcooks the fillet or a father lets one of his sons di.....

Yeah, Jason slipped my mind there. I guess the verdict was still out on Tim as well pre-flashpoint. He was all sorts of crazy post IC and the Titans Tomorrow wasn't a great indicator either.

Hey, one for three aint so bad!!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Onemoreposter: I know he didn't spend that much time with him but still......Damian

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Martian

@BlackArmor said:

Hell no

kiyava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kiyava

Damian is Batman's son. I think that pretty explains itself. Maybe they named him after that kid in The Omen...?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By entropy_aegis

@BlackArmor said:

@Onemoreposter said:

I direct your attention to pre new 52 Jason Todd

Jason is what he is because of bad mothers(his own,Talia etc) not Bruce.Mind you if Bruce had'nt ever found him he would have been fighting for top bunk at Blackgate lol.

Hugs and kisses dont represent fatherhood,take a look at Dick and Tim.They're heroes only because of Bruce.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemoreposter

@BlackArmor: Actually, Bruce putting Damien in tights and having him fight crime is probably a step down in dangerousness from spending all day with Ras and the LoA.

@entropy_aegis: Well, Batman did let his minor ward get beat to death with a crowbar...

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

@entropy_aegis: He could have adopted Jason without putting him in a colorful costume and sending him out against guys with guns.

@Onemoreposter: I still hold Bruce remotely accountable for Damian's..........whatever is wrong with that kid

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Onemoreposter: The ward in question defied orders and was betrayed by his own biological mother who casually smoked a cigarette when he was getting his brains smashed.

@BlackArmor: He tried to do so with Dick,did'nt work and Tim came to Bruce because he wanted to be Robin.I do not see how Jason would have been any different.

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By batmanary

He is, I think. Damian can't live a normal life, because it isn't bred in him. He was trained for extraordinary things, and in a way, Batman nurtures that in a more constructive way than Talia.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

@entropy_aegis: Because Jason was less stable than Dick and Tim and less skilled than Dick, Bruce didn't need to let Jason war the costume like he did Dick who probably would have killed Zucco without it, I mean when you need to find a stress release outlet for a troubled kid if the first thing you jump to is fighting crime than your a pretty bad guardian.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Considering he's a magazine rack full of issues himself, I'll grade him on a curve and give him a D-

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By jrock85

No parent is perfect.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Nerx

What kind of parent dresses their kid that way and sets them against street thugs?

Good parenting, my ass !
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

No, obviously.

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By rogue_mar1e

He's not as terrible as people make him out to be.

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hectorsquall
    No Caption Provided
    Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Zdaybreak

@RedOwl_1 said:

About parental instincts.... he sucks, I mean "Let's train this 9 year old kid, make he a crimefighter and don't leave he wear any tights" What a reasonable thinking!

• Tim.... well is the best one, but because he had his own parents and was Robin at same time, he adopted Tim after his biological parents died
    • And the "best one" Damian, I mean if you have read current Batman and Robin you know their relationship STINKS, Bruce wants respect but Damian needs his trust to respect he and Bruce doesn't want to trust he until Damian respects he :S a pair of stubborn guys

About education, pff don't even make me start with the billionaire stuff and in grade of morals, don't even Superman can teach them better (weeeell maybe, at least lees harder)

-Actually, Dick had a lot of issues with Bruce. He had to sort them out during his time as Discowing, where he was with Koriandr and the New Teen Titans.

-He actually liked Jason. Which was why he took him in. Jason actually made him laugh in their first encounter.

-I think Tim's parents wouldn't have died if it weren't for Tim's connection with Batman.

-He heavily neglected Cass. Mainly, I blame the writers for badly handling the relationship.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By RedOwl_1

@Shotgun said:

@RedOwl_1 said:

-Actually, Dick had a lot of issues with Bruce. He had to sort them out during his time as Discowing, where he was with Koriandr and the New Teen Titans.

-He actually liked Jason. Which was why he took him in. Jason actually made him laugh in their first encounter.

-I think Tim's parents wouldn't have died if it weren't for Tim's connection with Batman.

-He heavily neglected Cass. Mainly, I blame the writers for badly handling the relationship.

- I know Dick had issues but they had the best relationship of all the others

- With Jason had a good start, I mean NOW it sucks

- Truth.

- I never had read about that, I barely knew he adopted she, yeah blame you writers >:P

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I do not think he is a perfect father ,but i think he had molded Tim and Dick into good people.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogue_mar1e said:

He's not as terrible as people make him out to be.

True, but that dont change he decide to have children side kicks.

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I do not think he is a perfect father ,but i think he had molded Tim and Dick into good people.

mean a good one, not a perfect one, is hard to kow if Dick and Tim would end as nice guys without Batman, but still te whole flashpoint universe, Jason was a priest and find inner peace.

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Croaker

Meh, he's allright. Only Jason turned out really bad.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Croaker said:

And Batman has nothing to do with that?

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Croaker

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Croaker said:

And Batman has nothing to do with that?

That's a tricky one. He holds himself responsible, but Jason was always kind of disturbed. At least Bruce tried to turn him into a force of good.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fodigg

I think "Bruce as parent" only works if the assumption is that the various Robins and Batgirls would have gone out and fought crime untrained without him, so he may as well give them training so they at least have a chance.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Croaker: Yeah, but he failed to notice what Jason was and how to help him.

@fodigg: Did really that would have happend without Batman telling them to do that?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fodigg

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Croaker: Yeah, but he failed to notice what Jason was and how to help him.

@fodigg: Did really that would have happend without Batman telling them to do that?

I think so:

• Dick tried to revenge kill the mobsters that killed his family,
    • Barbara went out in a Halloween costume untrained before becoming Batgirl officially,
    • Jason was already trying to shiv people on the street,
    • Tim is the odd one out, but pursued the Robin mantle actively and Bruce was very reluctant to let him have it,
    • Huntress did it on her own, then washed out as Batgirl, and then went out and did it on her own again anyway,
    • Cassandra was a vagrant killer-child who couldn't talk, wandering around the Gotham DMZ when Babs took her in and trained her,
    • Stephanie was Spoiler long before being Robin or Batgirl, again, on her own,
    • Damian was raised as a psycho killer as well and trying to co-opt him into the Bat legacy may be the only way to redeem him.

Whether or not you completely buy the above arguments, I think they have to be considered feasible at least on some level in order to accept Bruce's training of the Bat-kicks. And really, the sidekicks aren't going to go away because they're a staple of the genre, so going with the "he doesn't make them, he finds them" route is the best explanation.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Stronger

Batman is a great father in my opinion.He gathered those kids who didnt have a snowmans chance in hell and gave them a purpose to live.He taught them,he raised them he LOVED them

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stronger: @fodigg: Even if that is the truht, it was the best action train them and dont look for other type of help?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@Stronger said:

Batman is a great father in my opinion.He gathered those kids who didnt have a snowmans chance in hell and gave them a purpose to live.He taught them,he raised them he LOVED them

This doesn't really apply to Tim Drake though. Being involved with Batman really kind of ruined his life (aside from how being Robin is totally worth it)

ProfessorMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ProfessorMario

Well, pretty much no due to answers above. Especially due to his infamous streak of the past Robins like arguing with Dick and causing him to leave, Jason getting killed by the Joker, etc. I'm really just waiting to see how he screws up this time.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fodigg

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Stronger: @fodigg: Even if that is the truht, it was the best action train them and dont look for other type of help?

He never actively encouraged them. Should he have outed them? Remember, this is a world where vigilantes are "normal." It's not fair to put the full brunt of modern sensibilities upon characters for following genre conventions.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Stronger

@r3d_rob1n: @fodigg: Guys can you explain to me why you think Batman isnt a good father?

Tim Drakes father was murdered.Where was his fate??HUH?

What would he become?A punk? A criminal?Maybe without Batman Tim would have become like Jason Todd,you know.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fodigg

@Stronger said:

@r3d_rob1n: @fodigg: Guys can you explain to me why you think Batman isnt a good father?

Tim Drakes father was murdered.Where was his fate??HUH?

What would he become?A punk? A criminal?Maybe without Batman Tim would have become like Jason Todd,you know.

I was actually arguing that he is a good father, and that in the context of the world they live in he's preparing children for a lifestyle they're already predisposed toward if not actively engaged in.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Stronger

@DeathpooltheT1000: I believe he did what is best.

If not,his kids would have probably gone to university,get a good job.For what purpose?No meaning in their lives.

He gave them a chance to save other people from getting hurt like the way they did.

For me thats a meaning for living.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@Stronger: Are you saying that nobody's life has meaning in the real world? Doctors, police officers and firefighters are all out there saving lives, but not when they are 12

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Saren
    Tough love, son.
    Tough love, son.
    VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VictorGrey
    No Caption Provided

I Direct Your Attention to this.....

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stronger

@r3d_rob1n said:

@Stronger: Are you saying that nobody's life has meaning in the real world? Doctors, police officers and firefighters are all out there saving lives, but not when they are 12

These people you say have all found a meaning through their job.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stronger said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

But Batman could have found a way to helpt them into that direction, i mean why should they need to go in a war against crime?

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stronger

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Stronger said:

@r3d_rob1n said:

But Batman could have found a way to helpt them into that direction, i mean why should they need to go in a war against crime?

Because he saw that all these kids had the potential to be protectors.Sure he could just let them live like normal children but the writers didnt want so.

The Robin mantle wouldnt exist.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stronger: The writers? i mean those sucker are the guy that killed Batman, dont talk about those thurkeys.

I know that comic book universe dont follow the same rules, but he could have train them and later let the fight crim at their teens years, did he haves to take children into a war?

Maxwolfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maxwolfe

No because he corrupted Jason Todd and he dresses up his children in underpants

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.