Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

I am torment, I am ruin, I am plague, I am venom, the Batman #19 preview thread

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Source: Newsarama

This is clearly the Bane version of Morrison's Arkham Asylum. Kinda fitting to see Bane beat up Dent and is about to beat up Grundy and Amygdala, he missed them in Arkham War lol.

Speaking of Morrison, this comes across as a spiritual twin of sorts of Batman INC v2 imo. There, specifically the second issue we got an entire origin story for Talia to drive home that she was Batman's dark female counterpart and even had her own "kick the tree moment". In Batman # 18 of this volume we got an origin story for Bane to drive home that he too is Batman's evil twin and Bane got a similar moment. Similarly Talia berated Bruce for being a man child,playing dress up etc and mocked Batman's traditional rogues, Bane has done the exact same thing so far. The build up to the respective confrontations have also taken their time too.

Another connecting Morrison link is Psycho Pirate. Then you take in to account Bane/Talia from Nolan verse and the Legacy story from the late 90's its almost eerie. Though I'm sure this is all a coincidence but its fun to speculate.

Now I hope Bane has a moment similar to the one in which Heretic killed Damian, I anticipate Bane killing Hayden and destroying the Mask to deny GG or using it to drive her even more insane and therefore breaking Batman's hope .

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Enzo991

I guess it's that time of the month again for King to crush my soul with his mind numbing terribleness. So @black_arrow was correct, that is indeed Maxie Zeus, although not sure why he's quoting Dante. You'd think he'd quote Aristotle or Socrates. Too bad this entire issue seems to be just another excuse for King to throw in meaningless cameos from different Batman villains. Glad to see that Bane still talks like an idiot and keeps repeating the same stuff over and over. The one thing that I thought King was doing right pretty much gone out the window at this point.

So let me see if I understood Batman's plan here. In order to stop Bane and prevent him from getting to the Pirate inside Arkham, he decided to lead him directly inside the Asylum and release the different villains in order to stop him. This is all after King tried to highlight the importance of the Bat family to Batman. So Batman would rather depend on criminals like Catwoman or the Arkham inmates rather than have his family help him ?.......I don't know somehow this plan doesn't sound logical, and pretty much undermines the message King was trying to convey.

King clearly thought to himself "Wouldn't it be cool to have Batman use the inmates from Arkham to tire Bane out, like a reverse Knightfall ?" without considering how stupid things would have to be in order to get to that point. This is been prevalent throughout the entire run so far. King wants to force parallels between Batman and Bane ? Then he'll just retcon and change their histories to fit with that. He wants to have this story be the reverse of Knightfall ? Then he'll write everyone out of character in order to end up with the desired results. He's changing the characters to fit whatever theme he wants to have in the story, with no thoughts given to the characters themselves. If this is not terrible writing, I don't know what is.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

@enzo991: I am Suicide was also a reverse Knightfall. Infact I think this is more like Morrison's Arkham except with Bane taking Batman's place. Still it is a valid observation. Now Bane needs to rename himself Reverse Batman so that DC can publish an ongoing series with him and my life is complete, lol joking.

I admit I'm still torn on King's changes to Bane's backstory to feed the parrallel but GMO did the same with Talia. Ultimately if it makes writers take Bane seriously on a conceptual level then I'm willing to swallow the pill. You have to admit the other writers will be more hesitant to job a dark Batman than a brute merc, even if he is a very smart brute merc. Tomasi kind of started this with Arkham War, King is finishing it.

With that said, dont like King's Bruce at all.

Hats off to Finch though, I wanted him as far away from Bane as possible after that atrocious TDK series but damn he's drawing the definite Bane. Even the way Bane punches is text book Bane style punching, he's done his research.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enzo991

@entropy_aegis:I definitely believe King's intention behind this issue is to do Knightfall, only with having Batman's and Bane's positions switched. I see how this could remind you of Arkham Asylum, but I doubt that was King's intention.

Every time a writer tries and change an established character to fit their stories, it never ends well. I hated it when Morrison changed Talia, and I hate it now with what King did to Bane. Either the writers use the characters that fit the kind of story that they want to tell, or they better start looking for other characters instead. Bane's history wasn't his problem, as he was already a dark reflection of Batman as it is. The needless changes that King made to Bane served nothing but to forcibly draw further parallels between the two, as if the readers are morons who need to be hammered over the head with scenes like the two talking to their dead moms or kicking down stuff to see the similarity between the two. Bane needed a good story, not to be turned into reverse Batman, as that only resulted in him losing some of his individuality.

King's Bruce is a joke, a parody or a caricature of himself. King has no idea how to write Batman, and as a result is writing him as a collection of ideas or a simple plot device to get the story where it needs to go, and not as an actual person. His only function in the story is to serve as a vehicle for other characters to ride (figuratively, or literally in Selina's case), so everyone is benefiting at Bruce's expense, except for Bruce himself. I agree that Finch's art has been amazing so far. Definitely the only highlight from this arc.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be interested in Batman's reaction if Bane killed all these guys. Not only is Bruce suicidal, he just wants to take everyone down with him. He's totally jaded. lol

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigcimmerian

He sure can beat Amygdala, but how is he going to beat Grundy?

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: Batman did, so he shouldn't have problem. Or are you saying that since Catwoman beat Bane? He's on Venom though, so he should be good. Although, he was also on Venom when he smashed Batman into the ground. Nevermind! lol

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey what happened to the guards, police, army?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.