Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

how smart is batman?

• 108 results
    Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Alexander505

@bigcimmerian said:

He's one of the most intelligent beings in comics, but not in the terms of scientific genious. He's good with science, but people like Luthor, Pym, Banner, Richards and Doom are above him. He's title of one of the most smartest comes from his detective work, tactical prowess and the fact that he's the best strategist on Earth.

Oh yes? In the comics, Batman is only one of the five people in the earth that can built Red Tornado. For now, is the only man that has figured out how build the Green Lantern's power and the Speed Force.

he is not the type that can build a teleporter

He did, years ago, on JLA ;)

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, wicked smart!

This is why I REALLY like stories about a young Batman, who is extremely intelligent and smart but just does not have the experience yet. His judgement blinded by arrogance and rage but still he manages to prevail, often with reckless abandon. He was formidable but still not the great mind he will become.

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By shenron

I forgot Bruce Banner as one of the Smart guys!!!! (i'm such an idiot).

Bruce Banner- The Greatest Scientific mind in Gamma Radiation.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Very smart he's only below Luthor. Batman thinks differently than the rest. People say why doesn't he have an advance suit or do the stuff Reed Richards does. That doesn't suit him. If he wanted to he could but he doesn't. Lex is higher or is a twelfth level intellect and Batman maybe an 11 or a twelfth level too.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently his side of scientist is not much valorised. Too bad. For now, we saw he built a new armor, and the special lenses.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has some pretty amazing feats of intelligence and is consistently displayed as always being the smartest in the room.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not a scientific genius but aside from that he's just about as smart as a human can be.

I really don't agree with "He's not a scientific genius." The man has invented tons of advanced technologies like Brother Eye and is always solving cases that require advanced scientific knowledge.

shenron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to answer my own question, I think his IQ is somewhat over 200. (maybe 210 to 225).

xBrucexWaynex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is smart but not in one place, in MANY. Scientific I would say there are quite a few that pass him. Like Richards, Luthor, Stark, Dr. Doom, and Palmer but Batman is almost up to par with them. He's more of a detective so when it comes to forensics, research etc... He's the most devious and will out wit the names of above though simply because he's an all around kind of person. He's not the world genius but he adapts quickly and learns quickly. He will out calculate and out smart someone by beating them at their own game. That's the kind of smart Batman is.

xBrucexWaynex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xBrucexWaynex

I guess another way to put my answer is take all the genius Heroes and villains in both Marvel and DC. Then have a science contest....Batman wouldn't be number 1 but take all the same people and have a prank pulling contest...Batman would most definitely WIN

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MasterDetective

Loeb must have something against Batman's detective skills, he always makes him look dumb

SirDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhere I heard Bats IQ is around 270... somewhere.

SirDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somewhere I heard Bats IQ is around 270... somewhere.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

He's STUPID smart.....

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Batman is number two in DC.

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MasterDetective

Batman is smarter than the average people, and is as well proeficient, he's a jack-of-all-trades, he knows a lot of things in a lot of areas.

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MasterDetective

Batman is smarter than the average people, and is as well proeficient, he's a jack-of-all-trades, he knows a lot of things in a lot of areas.

Rezvoltis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Rezvoltis

Batman is a pretty good blend of everything. Scientifically he's not as good as Reed, Lex or Tony but he excels at detective work, problem solving, thinking 9053652672 steps ahead etc.

There's 9 different measures of intelligence I think.

If I had to compare, his closest Marvel counterpart would probably be Black Panther. Although Bats is just a bit smarter than T'Challa is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
    deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ozymandias is a joker compared to batman

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
    deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ozymandias is a joker compared to batman

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oops I posted twice

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart enough to outsmart anyone

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart enough to outsmart anyone

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think all around, he is hard to beat. As far as scientific/engineering goes he is definately high enough to roll with the big dogs. I think when you get to that level of intellect the differences are largely arbitrary. Bats has some unique inventions, anything else he could probably reverse engineer.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think all around, he is hard to beat. As far as scientific/engineering goes he is definately high enough to roll with the big dogs. I think when you get to that level of intellect the differences are largely arbitrary. Bats has some unique inventions, anything else he could probably reverse engineer.

OhItsThatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman's smart, but not as smart as Superman and Lex.

OhItsThatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By OhItsThatGuy

Apologies for the double-post.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say if you average everything he's good at he's second only to Lex.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as no one uses Anything written by Geoff Johns. Ever. To say that Bruce is not as smart as someone.

titohartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ohitsthatguy: you are right sir.. lex being smartest human in dc universe.. and supes being born to not only a super intelligent race but born to the smartest two kryptonians.. @ultrastarkiller:

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ohitsthatguy: you are right sir.. lex being smartest human in dc universe.. and supes being born to not only a super intelligent race but born to the smartest two kryptonians.. @ultrastarkiller:

Wait what?

Also welcome to the vine.

titohartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: sorry.. I'm new and was just reading on post you left on how smart is batman forum... that all

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultrastarkiller: sorry.. I'm new and was just reading on post you left on how smart is batman forum... that all

Ah, I see. Lol

MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkgirl beats Batman in chess

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is in par with Reed Richards. Reed is a much better scientist but Batman is the greatest all rounder. Batman is way smarter than Superman.

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He created the ultimate time machine in The return of bruce wayne. He created a practically weightless metal that even at the thickness of paper causes the wearer to feel nothing from Bullet wounds Detective comics 244. He created a machine that can control peoples minds in Batman 138 and he can use Time travel hypnosis to travel Back in time World's finest comic 42. His batarangs can penetrate amazonian metal which can slice through doomsday clones. He's smarter than Lex Luthor. His Hellbat armor invention is stronger.

jackiplier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By jackiplier

@area52: Him being smarter than Lex is very arguable. Lex is mostly portray to be smarter while Superman claim Batman to be smarter.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By The_Hajduk

He and Lex are floating on the same tier. They both have different specialties and could conceivably outwit the other in various situations. Lex is natural prodigy and has a higher IQ, but Bruce is learned and, well, obsessed. People would be quick to say Bruce is more cunning than Lex, but IMO Lex is more about cunning than he is about technology.

Overall if I were the writer I would have Lex be a little bit superior in the end. But Bruce Wayne is probably number 2.

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@area52: Him being smarter than Lex is very arguable. Lex is mostly portray to be smarter while Superman claim Batman to be smarter.

They don't have much interaction. Batman's Hellbat armor surpasses the one Luthor made by a large margin, especially the updated version in Superman rebirth. He is just better at all the stuff either of them do.

jackiplier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By jackiplier

@area52: Because Batman simply designed it and have had the entire Justice League made it for him. Lex's current Superman's suit is rather impressive maybe not as impressive as Hellbat but still. HOWEVER, I do see their intellect as equal, and let's just keep it that way. If you ask some other ppl, they won't even agree on Batman being close to Lex.

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By area52

@jackiplier said:

@area52: Because Batman simply designed it and have had the entire Justice League made it for him. Lex's current Superman's suit is rather impressive maybe not as impressive as Hellbat but still. HOWEVER, I do see their intellect as equal, and let's just keep it that way. If you ask some other ppl, they won't even agree on Batman being close to Lex.

The Justice League didn't make the Hellbat armor. They shot lasers at the old version and the New 52 Supes forged it in the sun. The current version shown on Batman's moon base in Superman: Rebirth was built and lasered (if that's a requirement) all by Batman. It no longer drains metabolism from the user and allows even an unskilled woman like Lois Lane to be able to stay on top of a fight against Eradicator who was powered by other Kryptonians and defeated Superman.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is typically top tier along with Luthor as the two smartest humans on the planet.

Morrison's Batman, however, is unequivocally smarter than Luthor. He is terrifyingly smart.

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to read batwank from 6 years ago

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is typically top tier along with Luthor as the two smartest humans on the planet.

Morrison's Batman, however, is unequivocally smarter than Luthor. He is terrifyingly smart.

Although this is a bit off topic...I'd like to know which stories people refer to when they speak of the super intelligent Morrison's Batman. Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne and Final Crisis both portray a super genius however Batman: Incorporated does not. What stories by Grant Morrison contain a highly intellectual Batman?

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Gracetrack

@area52: Try RIP and his early JLA run. Of course, also keeping in mind there is more than one type of intelligence.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingnemo: instead try reading his comics and you will find them way more interesting

AssassinB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By AssassinB

Smart in what?? He is pretty stupid at social situations. He is smart in detective stuff and tech, probably terrible at self expression or artistic aptitudes. He is human, he can make mistakes. And that's is why he is awesome for me. I don't like when he looks omnipotent and untouchable or super depressed and traumatic or super angsty child man in adolecence.

I love when he is clever, determined and more than anything persevered and good. I also love his flaws, his ineptitude in social situations and his introverted personality. He is the night, he is the lone shadow. Not some super perfect human with dark clothes. He ain't Tony Stark with his ego on his sleve. Or Lex Luthor with his Man-God complex. He is clever and all that, but I don't think that is what defines him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.