How physically superior is Deathstroke to Batman?

#1 Edited by CF12793 (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

We all know that Batman and Deathstroke have a lot in common. Both nearly unbeatable martial artists, both tactical geniuses and masters of knowing nearly everyone's weaknesses, etc. I'm sure by now you all know the similarities. But the one thing that seems to be the winning factor in battles between them is that Deathstroke is physically superior. Now, there are scans of Batman benching 1,000 lbs, kicking down steel doors like they were made from jello, and other very impressive strength feats. We've also seen Deathstroke do some very impressive things as well, but none of them seem to be over the 800 lb - 2 ton ratio. So, just how much stronger/faster is the World's greatest assassin compared to the Dark Knight? 2 times stronger, or 200? I've been wondering this for quite some time.

EDIT: This is classic Deathstroke. Not the New 52 one, as clearly the new one is well above peak human.

#2 Edited by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's only peak human. Deathstroke is enhanced. He is said to have the strength of "ten men." He can rip off the door of an airplane and now he is Nth metal! The metal increases his strength even more. Batman can lift half a ton. I'm guessing with Nth metal, Slade can lift 2-4 tons, since he could probably lift 1-2 tons without it

#3 Edited by CF12793 (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

Batman's only peak human. Deathstroke is enhanced. He is said to have the strength of "ten men." He can rip off the door of an airplane and now he is Nth metal! The metal increases his strength even more. Batman can lift half a ton. I'm guessing with Nth metal, Slade can lift 2-4 tons, since he could probably lift 1-2 tons without it

So when he fights people like Batman and Nightwing, does that mean he's holding back? I mean, surely his blows could kill them.

#4 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793: I doubt he holds back. But I'm sure if I'm wrong. It makes sense logically that if Batman lifts 1000 lbs, Slade lifts around 1500-2000 lbs. Nth increases his strength, so 2500-3500 lbs?

#5 Edited by CF12793 (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

@cf12793: I doubt he holds back. But I'm sure if I'm wrong. It makes sense logically that if Batman lifts 1000 lbs, Slade lifts around 1500-2000 lbs. Nth increases his strength, so 2500-3500 lbs?

That makes sense. It's hard to say if DS is holding back on Batman in their fights. It's certainly not in his character to, but then again, with that amount of force, he should be able to kill Bruce easily. The only thing I can think of is that Batman's armor is strong enough to the point where it can withstand Slade's blows. Even if Batman is at the peak of human potential, he's human nonetheless.

#6 Posted by entropy_aegis (20960 posts) - - Show Bio

These stats are old,I'd say current Batman can lift around 1500 lbs while Deathstroke should be 3 tons minimum.

So Deathstroke should be 4 times stronger,pre-52 I'd say 2 times stronger.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
#7 Posted by WIshIWasSuperman (1379 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

@batmannflash said:

That makes sense. It's hard to say if DS is holding back on Batman in their fights. It's certainly not in his character to, but then again, with that amount of force, he should be able to kill Bruce easily. The only thing I can think of is that Batman's armor is strong enough to the point where it can withstand Slade's blows. Even if Batman is at the peak of human potential, he's human nonetheless.

I'd guess armour - otherwise he could never fight anyone in the DCU properly. Bane and DS out of his own rogues gallery - then stick him up against Grundy, Grodd, any of the JL villains, his weird little punch ons with Superman or WW - if it's not armour, Bat's should never be able to throw a punch.

Avatar image for masterdetective
#9 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#10 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 Batman is more strong than ever, he can lift probably 1500 lbs. Slade pre- New 52 was a little superior than a peak human in strenght and endurance, but they are equal in speed, reflexes and agility.The current Slade is super-strong only with the armor, probably class 2-3 tons, as the old Bane with Venom.

The current Bane, is stronger than Slade.

#11 Posted by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

New 52 Batman is more strong than ever, he can lift probably 1500 lbs. Slade pre- New 52 was a little superior than a peak human in strenght and endurance, but they are equal in speed, reflexes and agility.The current Slade is super-strong only with the armor, probably class 2-3 tons, as the old Bane with Venom.

Current Slade tanked getting smashed on the head by a submarine

#13 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: It's his armor...for be exact, current Slade has the same strength and endurance than Hawkman.

#14 Posted by AssertingValor (8189 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably double

#15 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1582 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

@batmannflash said:

So when he fights people like Batman and Nightwing, does that mean he's holding back? I mean, surely his blows could kill them.

Nightwing usually gives Slade quite a beating actually.

#16 Posted by entropy_aegis (20960 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

@batmannflash said:

Nopes.

@alexander505 said:

Current Slade tanked getting smashed on the head by a submarine

He evaded the sub,and his armor can withstand a lot of damage,not necessarily a strength feat.

@toplel said:

I don't think new 52 Batman can bench 1000lbs. He seems to be around more realistic levels. In Tec' 17 he fights a dude on roids who wasn't affected by his punches so Batman used nerve strikes to take him out. Batman is a smart fighter; if hes outmatched physically, he'll find a way to take them out by some other means.

Depends on the writer,in Batman he pulled himself from a jet engine nacelle.

#17 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Are you sure he evaded it? I mean it doesn't look like it to me

#18 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

@batmannflash said:

Dick went in stalemate against Slade few years ago, in addition, Dick has always showed to be more fast and agile than Slade.

#19 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome feat of strength, anyway...You should apply at least 1 tons of pressure strength, for do something like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
#21 Edited by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: SO?? Slade was pretty badly injured after the fight against Batman,you just put one to misleading everyone...

#22 Posted by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: SO?? Slade was pretty badly injured after the fight against Batman,you just put one to misleading everyone...

Yes, but that fight it's too old...doesn't prove nothing, anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
#23 Edited by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

@matchesmalone21 said:

@alexander505: that's right

However, yes, Slade remained really injured after the fight against Batman, indeed shortly after was put KO by a normal guy. The same Slade said that Batman was better than him, anyway...

#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (20960 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup,see the next issue after that,it was clear he dodged it.

#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yup,see the next issue after that,it was clear he dodged it.

It doesn't show Slade dodging it just him underwater and in a pile of wreckage

#27 Edited by bigcimmerian (10340 posts) - - Show Bio

@cf12793 said:

@batmannflash said:

He could potentialy kill them, but he's not that stronger. Bats can lift more than 1000 lbs and Slade can probably lift several times more, batsuit also gives him great protection, so no, Slade should not kill Bats and Nightwing so easily.

#28 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigcimmerian: exactly. The Batsuit has endured hits stronger than Slade's so I don't think Slade holds back at all.

#29 Edited by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade is good, but not good enough for kill easily Nightwing (indeed Dick fought against Slade many times) and absolutely not easily against the current Batman.

#30 Posted by Gracetrack (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@alexander505 said:

Awesome feat of strength, anyway...You should apply at least 1 tons of pressure strength, for do something like that.

Awesome as it is, its a little difficult to know exactly how much force you need to exert to pull that off. He wasnt facing it head on; he was streamlined so most of the air would be passing over him, so I doubt it'd be 1 ton. Regardless, one of the best feats Ive seen of him yet.

My only problem with that feat: What was Batman holding onto? Do his gloves have super gripping suction cups on them or something? The surface of that jet engine looked pretty flat and smooth to me.

Oh, also... how in the world were Batman and Owlman able to hear each other and carry on a conversation over all the noise? (jet engine, wind)

#31 Posted by CF12793 (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like DS was only peak human in that fight, did he even have his healing factor then? Since then, both of the characters have been upgraded significantly. That Batman could probably lift an access of about 300 - 500 lbs. (Just estimating here) whille Deathstroke could probably lift upwards of about 800 lbs. But then again, during this time Deathstroke was also taking on superhumans like Aquaman and the Flash, so I could be wrong on that front. Although both of those fights he relied more on strategy then strength.

#35 Posted by HonikerX (220 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know what you're talking about, why do you use pages?

in DC Universe Online, the game opens with Deathstroke in a sword fight, right, she'd do that, with WONDER WOMAN, so like, DC's fucking lost it, they have No fucking idea what they're doing, they're all liars, their writers are garbage, all garbage, either find, a book, that makes sense, for their prowess, or you won't, know I guess, no, Deathstroke is weak, and Batman doesn't bench shit

you don't weight train, for real fitness, martial arts, you don't, EVER, do that, but it's stupid, if you've ever fought, it's stupid, it's stupid, it's stupid, you don't, you don't

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#36 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Slade is way better in physicals.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
#37 Posted by midnightdragon18 (9870 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Posted by camilopezo (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Batman superhuman at all, less in name?

#39 Posted by Alexander505 (3023 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a step above Bruce, but not that much, is just a little above the peak human status. Bruce is a superior fighter anyway..

#40 Edited by Butros (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure how much stronger or faster he is.

Anyway Slade holds back a lot when fighting other heroes so yes he could kill human with his blows.

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
#41 Edited by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

Going by their fights, it didn't seem to be that overwhelming an edge in their first fight, just enough to put him slightly over in a fight. When they fought again a few years later, however, the gap seemed to be much higher, to the point of Slade casually catching his punches and nearly killing him with three strikes. The gap is currently wider than it's ever been, to the point that Slade doesn't even really feel Bruce grabbing him and choking him with a chain midair, not needing to fight back or resist at all apart from tugging slightly on the chain in the other direction with two fingers.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Batman actually resorted to using power gauntlets designed to battle Superman just to hurt him later in the series, and it still took 6-7 punches to his bare face to knock him out. Presently, the gap in strength and durability is very wide. Speed follows the same trend; Slade has always had better feats in this department, but Bruce initially kept up with a combination of superior technical skill and his own remarkable speed before eventually being outpaced. Speed didn't really come into play in their second fight in Detective Comics #710 aside from Slade reacting to and catching his punch, but he does scale above characters Bruce has been outpaced by, like Cass. Admittedly, the fact she can't read him plays into this too, but half the reason she can't is he's too fast for it in the first place.

In contrast to the disparity in strength and durability, the speed discrepancy between the two stays the same from before and after Flashpoint, just about. It could be argued Slade acquired better standalone showings from the New-52 on, like the ubiquitous bullet-cutting feat and blatantly timing the detonation of propane, but they're still quite alike when it comes to combat showings. Slade kept up with Bruce while physically weakened and hindered skill-wise back in Deathstroke v3 #5, even seemingly moving faster than him at times. He had a great showing against Deadline in Deathstroke v4 #16, and while he isn't as fast as Cass, he was shown to have moved much faster than him than he did Batgirl. They fought briefly in Deathstroke v4 #32, but a few conclusions can still be drawn.

Deathstroke was shown to freaking leapfrog over a full effort punch of his as well as dodge the rest of his strikes before the fight was interrupted. It's worth noting that Slade didn't really tag Batman either, but this is more to due with Bruce having kept him off balance with his power gloves. I'd say it's still quite a feat to have only been equipped with a simple combat knife and still fight evenly with a prepped Batman no less; a feat which Deathstroke himself attributes to his speed more than anything else, hence he questions if the gloves did anything to help match him in that regard.

#42 Edited by jackiplier (301 posts) - - Show Bio

@elijah_c_washington:

Deathstroke was wearing the Icon suit in the chain scan, of course he wouldn't be affected. The reason why Batman uses the Power Glove was also because of the Ikon sui, as you can see his punch completely ignored the Ikon Suit's force field. This is why Deathstroke decided not to wear the suit during the cave fight.

During the cave fight, they are pretty much evenly matched. Batman did get his hand on a metal glove during the fist fight though.

Since Deathstroke wasn't wearing the Ikon suit, the only function of the glove was shooting non-lethal gatling beams and made out of metal which makes it... hurt more. Deathstroke also had his staff during that fight, so it was pretty fair IMO

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
#45 Edited by Elijah_C_Washington (4618 posts) - - Show Bio

@jackiplier: Bruce had hacked the Ikon suit in the chain scans. The reason he switched to his classic uniform wasn't the gauntlets, it was that he'd hacked the Ikon suit. Anyway, if you have a differing opinion on this topic then that's fine; I don't really care to argue this, just give my two cents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c443c2a6994d
#46 Posted by deactivated-5c443c2a6994d (494 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically what Elijah said.

#47 Posted by CometoDaddy (25 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a step above Bruce, but not that much, is just a little above the peak human status. Bruce is a superior fighter anyway..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.