Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

How old is Batman in the new 52?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

#1  Edited By Black_Claw

Ok, you notice how in the new 52 all the superheroes are younger? For instance, Superman, Green Lantern, and Wonder woman are all in their 20's now. But here's where Batman confuses me. If the other members of the justice league are in their 20's then how old is batman? Dick Grayson is probably somewhere in his early 20's, Tim Drake is now either 16 or 17, Jason Todd is possibly in his 20's, and Damian Wayne is roughly 13 now. So when you consider the current ages of the former (or in Damian's case, current) Robins, just how old is Bruce if his fellow JLA team mates have been de aged?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

SlayerOFEVIL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

29-31

Annual said he's been in buisiness for 6 years.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adopted Dick when he was 20 and Dick 10. Dick became Nightwing at 20, Bruce adopted Todd when he was 15. The same year Todd died, one year later he adopted Tim who was 15. Tim is now 18, Bruce adopted Damian hwo is 10. So Bruce should be around 38

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Someone worked it out as 31 before, and an interview I saw recently seemed to imply that him or Superman was 32. So maybe around those ages.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet again another flaw in the New 52. You know, something that doesn't quite make sense. Before the new

52, it was assumed that Bruce was about 43. DC claims that milestone stories like Year One haven't been omitted, so if thats true than upon returning to Gotham, it is stated that he had been gone for some time. Around 7-12 years. So he was probably around 27 when he adopted Dick.

adopted Dick when he was 20 and Dick 10. Dick became Nightwing at 20, Bruce adopted Todd when he was 15. The same year Todd died, one year later he adopted Tim who was 15. Tim is now 18, Bruce adopted Damian hwo is 10. So Bruce should be around 38

Dick was around 26 before The New 52 and @masterdetective is right with the gap between the Robins years in age, so you can do the math for the rest. To answer the original question though, everyone is the same age in the New 52, excluding Bruce I guess( Which is stupid), but in order for the continuity to make sense, Bruce still has to be around 43...

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is 30-33 years old lol.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assumed he would have been younger in the new 52 since everyone else seems to be. I guess not since he was the only one not to get a real reboot

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Durakken

Both Batman and Superman are 28. Batman is older though.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigcimmerian

@durakken said:

Both Batman and Superman are 28. Batman is older though.

No he's in his early thirties..

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude... No. All the data points support 28 or 29 with a heavy leaning towards 28.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

Dude... No. All the data points support 28 or 29 with a heavy leaning towards 28.

How? He was training for several years and he's been Batman for 7 or 8 years now if you include Zero Year.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jarvis was killed and Alfred came into his employ when he was 3

His parents were killed when he was 10

Willowood was destroyed 18 years ago some time soon after Martha Wayne died

Bruce left Gotham 4 years before 6 years ago as of 2011 Flashpoint start date

Bruce was gone was training when he was 19 and 21

Because Snyder and Morrison can't keep the dates right there is some minor wiggle room... It is said that Bruce returned 7 years ago, but Year One is 6 years ago...It is also said that Philip has been looking for him for 7 years but Gordon/Bruce convo says he's been gone from Gotham for 4.

The first of these inconsistencies 7 vs 6 is simply a matter of saying he returned late in the year the two events are only a few months apart which is consistent with dialogue Bruce and Alfred have talking about the few months that he has been at it already in Year One.

The 7 and 4 year inconsistency could be put up to Bruce was 18 when he "officially left" as before 18 it would be questioned and Philip was trying to track him down but kept running into problems of finding him at home and so he might have tried to figure out what was going on.

Willowood is not a 100% either, but it fell into disrepute after Martha died. You can figure that it was shortly after because what is described sounds like there was chaos due to not knowing how to handle the lack of money and it wasn't disreputable until after the sinkhole investigation which stands to reason it wasn't trashed for long. It also just so happens to line up with the 6/4 dating

There may be another confirm number if Lincoln March has his age anywhere... it should be 3 years younger than Bruce.

But yeah this is a high level of Certainty he's 28, maybe 29. And a high unlikely hood that he could be 32, Its possible but you would have to disregard other information and just go off the assumption that he left at 18 and then the above inconsistencies are both the 7 year numbers without regard for the context of those numbers...

ps... my cat made it extremely hard to type this v.v

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

Jarvis was killed and Alfred came into his employ when he was 3

His parents were killed when he was 10

Willowood was destroyed 18 years ago some time soon after Martha Wayne died

Bruce left Gotham 4 years before 6 years ago as of 2011 Flashpoint start date

Bruce was gone was training when he was 19 and 21

Because Snyder and Morrison can't keep the dates right there is some minor wiggle room... It is said that Bruce returned 7 years ago, but Year One is 6 years ago...It is also said that Philip has been looking for him for 7 years but Gordon/Bruce convo says he's been gone from Gotham for 4.

The first of these inconsistencies 7 vs 6 is simply a matter of saying he returned late in the year the two events are only a few months apart which is consistent with dialogue Bruce and Alfred have talking about the few months that he has been at it already in Year One.

The 7 and 4 year inconsistency could be put up to Bruce was 18 when he "officially left" as before 18 it would be questioned and Philip was trying to track him down but kept running into problems of finding him at home and so he might have tried to figure out what was going on.

Willowood is not a 100% either, but it fell into disrepute after Martha died. You can figure that it was shortly after because what is described sounds like there was chaos due to not knowing how to handle the lack of money and it wasn't disreputable until after the sinkhole investigation which stands to reason it wasn't trashed for long. It also just so happens to line up with the 6/4 dating

There may be another confirm number if Lincoln March has his age anywhere... it should be 3 years younger than Bruce.

But yeah this is a high level of Certainty he's 28, maybe 29. And a high unlikely hood that he could be 32, Its possible but you would have to disregard other information and just go off the assumption that he left at 18 and then the above inconsistencies are both the 7 year numbers without regard for the context of those numbers...

ps... my cat made it extremely hard to type this v.v

So he became Batman when he was 22 lol?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently...22 or 23.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: When you refer to "Year One", are you talking about the original story, or something in the New 52 that is referred to as Year One(i.e. his first year as Batman)?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh yeah i meant Year Zero...woop my bad

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: When you refer to "Year One", are you talking about the original story, or something in the New 52 that is referred to as Year One(i.e. his first year as Batman)?

It's Zero Year, his first year as Batman in new 52.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: @durakken: Ah, O.K. I was thinking that Year One would be a weird thing to bring up considering it says that he became Batman at around 28.

I haven't read any Zero Year issues yet. Is it any good so far?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@bigcimmerian:

@durakken:

Ah, O.K. I was thinking that Year One would be a weird thing to bring up considering it says that he became Batman at around 28.

I haven't read any Zero Year issues yet. Is it any good so far?

I guess it is written ok technically but it's not a good Batman book and it ruins Joker... as much as if not more than he has already. His Alfred/Bruce interaction is terrible... and has cliche Bruce "no i don't want to be Bruce!" poor interpretation.

It's better than Earth One... and All Star and Year 2 and 3 imo, but overall, in the grand scheme of Batman it's slightly below average so far.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spinningbirdcake

I'll say what Morrison said when asked the same question. He's 75 years old. And Grayson is 74

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@durakken: Hmm, that's unfortunate. Maybe they'll seem better as part of the whole story when it finishes though.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The timeline for the New 52 is something that's really pissed me off. If you take away the time that certain characters spent together, along with changing the events, it makes their relationships seem less important.

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Isn't it confirmed that Bruce return to Gotham and started being Batman at the age of 25? And he's been active for 7 years, so currently that makes him 32. Still reasonable.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SilverPool

It's so hard to see this guy as being in his early-mid thirties.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx239aJZRT1qje60io1_1280.jpg

spidex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I found this on some website

So, at age 24, Bruce puts on the cowl and goes spelunking. Let’s say he does this for about a year before meeting up with Dick Grayson. Let’s say Dick is 14—about as young as can be conceived, but still barely young enough to feel like the ward of a 25-year-old. Now, we can venture that most of the old Batman and Robin stories never happened in the New 52, but any way you slice it, Bruce and Dick must have had a ton of adventures together. It’s a basis for their relationship, even in the rebooted continuity. Let’s say they were the dynamic duo for four years. A bit arbitrary, but it provides a good length of time for them to bond, and times well with Dick’s turning 18, when we might say he went off on his own to lead the New Teen Titans (or some New 52 iteration of the same). The Teen Titans’ history may be greatly altered in the New 52, but it’s strongly implied that a team of young heroes, including Dick Grayson, Starfire, and others, existed at some point.

So, Dick’s gone. Batman broods around for another year before hooking up with Jason Todd. That makes Bruce 30 at this point. Let’s call Jason Todd 14 as well. Todd’s tenure as Robin was short-lived (no pun intended), so let’s say their pairing only lasted a year. I won’t venture to say whether he was thought to be killed, or if all the “Hush” business went down. It doesn’t matter. He leaves Bruce at around 15-16 years of age. Bruce is 31.

At this point in the old universe, Bruce went some time without a sidekick. “Never again,” right? Let’s give the New 52 the benefit of the doubt and say that didn’t happen. Say he only went one year solo. 32.

Tim Drake. There has already been some discrepancy on whether Tim Drake was ever Robin in the world of the New 52. Writer Scott Lobdell has been quoted as saying Red Robin has been the character’s only identity in the new universe. That would be at odds with the comics, which have explicitly stated that Drake was once Robin. It makes no difference. Whether he worked under the name Robin or Red Robin, he certainly was a partner of Batman at some point. That much has been well established. Let’s again say he took on that role at 14. Let’s say served two years, and at 16 went off to do his own thing (whatever that was). That would now make Bruce 34.

We know that Hal Jordan met Batman and the Justice League began to form “five years ago.” That period seems to be sometime after Tim Drake had left the scene, and before Damien Wayne entered it. That puts a “present day” Bruce Wayne at 39 years old. But let’s try and fudge things a little. Let’s say that Hal met Bruce in the period between Jason Todd and Tim Drake. Let’s say the Justice League was formed just prior to Drake joining Bruce, and that his tenure (being only two years) was over and done before the New 52 “present time.” That would make Nightwing 26, Jason Todd 21, and Tim Drake 18. That all seems to work for the stories being told. But it still makes Bruce Wayne 37.

A 37-year-old Bruce Wayne would imply a Batman at the peak of his crime fighting career, with over a decade of experience. I’m not sure if that’s what DCs New 52 is aiming for. There are little clues dropped here and there—in Detective Comics for example, Bruce mentions that the Mathis murder took place when he was “still a teenager.” That would need to be nearly twenty years in the past. But Commissioner Gordon refers to it as just “over a decade ago.” Ambiguous, at best. What’s more, in every title in which he appears, Bruce is drawn looking definitely younger than a 37-year-old who’s seen a decade of street fights.

But you know what? 37 isn’t that old. Whether or not that’s what DC’s editors have in mind for his age, it still works. At least in the issues I’ve read. I think they can skate by for now. But if they ever replace Damien with yet another Robin, without altering any of the other continuity, then they’ll be painting Bruce into a corner from which he can never de-age. Enjoy your pre-middle-aged Batman while you can, DC.

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rainshadow777

Well now it’s looking like Dr Manhattan was manipulating the timeline, which is why Batman’s age, among many other things, is so hard to determine during the New 52.

All of this confusion is now being ameliorated!

deffinition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

32 ish.....maybe.....I always kinda see batman as forever in his 30s

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.