How is Batman "the world's greatest detective"?!

• 106 results
Avatar image for masterdetective
#1 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember now why I made this other topic before...

Batman is presented as a brilliant investigator with deductive reasonings on pair with Sherlock Holmes and forensic abilities of the best CSI member. Yet, never have I saw any of those traits while reading comics, it's quite the contrary.

For example (SPOILER): In The Long Halloween, he thought Two-Face was responsible for the crimes when it was his wife! Even CalendarMan deduced it. Hell, in Dark Victory he asks the RIDDLER to solve a puzzle for him!!! Who's supposed to be the smartest detective here? And I won't even talk about the Hush saga...

At least I don't complain about The animated series and it's comic counterpart where he's truly shown as a detective (especially the issues with Ras'Al Ghul). But to be honest, I've read some Green Arrow comics where I have the feeling he is worthy of being the world's greatest detective.

To say it in a nutshell (or however this expression is used), I don't believe he earns this title so I ask you guys to dissuade me please if you can

#2 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
#3 Posted by NewKid (410 posts) - - Show Bio

because he's THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (60805 posts) - - Show Bio

pffft Long Halloween was written by Loeb.
BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

The same reason Superman is The Man of Steel

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (18634 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the World's Greatest Detective but there are some bad showings of him not being.

#7 Posted by The Poet (8646 posts) - - Show Bio

because the other canidates either: wiggle their noses, are chimps, or have been dead a for a century or so...

Also:

if this crossover doesn't persaude you...nothing will!

its "in a nutshell,..." btw

Avatar image for masterdetective
#8 Posted by MasterDetective (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet said:

because the other canidates either: wiggle their noses, are chimps, or have been dead a for a century or so...

Also:

its "in a nutshell,..." btw

I read it. Batman did ABSOLUTLY NOTHING USEFULL in this comic.

#9 Edited by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it is taken as granted within the universe that he can solve crimes no one else has been able to or to a far greater level than most.

There are quite a few good stories where this is demonstrated. Check out made of wood, dead reckoning, one bullet too many, the man behind the red hood, evolution (one shot)m death and the city, Batman: Detective (one shot) and some early LOTDK comics.

It is depressing to me that Detective Comics has more action that detecting as of late....but I hope that will change.

#10 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

Batman is the World's Greatest Detective but there are some bad showings of him not being.

Yeah if he looks like he didn't deserve it in some comic plot is definitely (till I dunno if it's the right use) CIS (Character Induced Stupidness) in a plot

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman has to be the world's greatest everything or his fan boys will turn into a bunch of b!tchy little girls

#12 Posted by BatteredArmor (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall said:

No Caption Provided

excellently done good sir

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman I just don't see why he has to be the best at everything to keep his fans happy, Spiderman fan boys aren't huge cry babies when someone out does their favorite hero (for the most part)

#14 Edited by TheBlueAngel93 (21064 posts) - - Show Bio

He's Batman, get over it.
 He's Batman, get over it.
#15 Posted by lorex (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Dispite what many would say Batmans best atribute is his mind and his problem solving abilities. He saves the day more often then not by out thinking his oponents. So I would agree with the statement that within the context of comic books he is the worlds best detective.

#16 Posted by entropy_aegis (20771 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I love Batman I just don't see why he has to be the best at everything to keep his fans happy, Spiderman fan boys aren't huge cry babies when someone out does their favorite hero (for the most part)

DC says Batman is the greatest detective in their universe,I see nothing wrong with that and if they suddenly alter that then yes there will be backlash and deservedly so.I'm sure Spidey fans would'nt take kindly to him getting his strength decreased from 10 to 1 ton.

#17 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman displays his detective abilities in nearly every comic, it's just not so blatantly obvious.

For example, just simply finding his enemies half the time is an accomplishment, especially considering the entire police force can't.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Actually with very few exceptions cops in comics are damn near useless. A potato could elude 80% of the GCPD

#19 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@nickzambuto: Actually with very few exceptions cops in comics are damn near useless. A potato could elude 80% of the GCPD

Hey now, don't underestimate potatoes. They're high in potassium and can outrun Killer Croc on a good day.

Now as for the matter at hand, unless you can recall some specific moments of the police force actually prooving themselves more incapable then the real worlds, I'll have to disagree with you. From what I've seen, comic cops are the same as real world, and the only reason they fail at life is because the criminals are just that good.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17944 posts) - - Show Bio

He isn't. Ralph Dibney is.

#21 Edited by joshmightbe (27562 posts) - - Show Bio

In all my time reading comics I've seen maybe 20 cops that actually did anything truly helpful. Yes there are some great ones like George Stacy and Jim Gordon but for the most part they stand around looking helpless until some dude in tights comes and saves the day

#22 Posted by KenTheProfile (420 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective: actually if you remember in The long hallowen there are three possible killers.

#23 Posted by Alexander505 (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Because yes.

Avatar image for thehandsometruth
#24 Posted by TheHandsomeTruth (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is almost a year old, but still, I'm surprised nobody has said it. Batman relies not only on his own knowledge and skills, but also on his Batcomputer, gadgets, that HUD in the cowl, Oracle, and other means to solve a case. In our world, detectives ALSO use things like internets, databases, forensics (which is basically aid from other people), and situational awareness. Batman is the World's Greatest Detective because he has the World's Greatest Detective machines and resources. If that doesn't at LEAST lean you a bit closer to his deserving the title, just think, if YOU had his gadgets and money and decided to be a detective, YOU'D be the World's Greatest Detective :)

#25 Edited by TDK_1997 (18634 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween was writen by Loeb.It was a good and interesting story but it was writen by an idiot.

#26 Edited by novi_homines (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just a title. I don't see him being any better at being a detective than spiderman or even black panther. But it is just something to associate with him to make him seem more badass. Similar to how he's also fluent in japanese, cantonese, mandarin, spanish, french, latin, german, russian, MASTER of 127 martial arts including tae kwon do, judo, muay thai, karate, boxing, jiu jitsu, ninjutsu, DEGREES (which can take DECADES in total) in criminal science, forensics, computer science, chemistry, engineering, biology, advanced chemistry, and technology. All by the ripe age of (correct me if i'm wrong) 25.

Lol I don't even think a lifetime is long enough to obtain all those degrees, talk less of even having the brains to do it and remember them. As well as finding time to be fluent in all those languages, as well as MASTERING 127 different fighting styles. And also finding time to be a superhero, saving the world on numerous occasions. The character is, in my opinion, the most unrealistic superhero ever made. For the simple fact that they still categorize him as "human". lol

#27 Edited by WastelandMan (8780 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective:

His animated series incarnation truly did his detectives skills justice. But Batman has also displayed detective skills regularly in the comics and even the New 52 Batman.

For example, Batman was once able to deduce his EXACT location by tasting the minerals in the water alone. This was while he was in combat and was gravely injured and starved. He shouldn't be able to think straight yet alone fight.

#28 Posted by Stronger (5051 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for consolemaster001
#29 Posted by consolemaster001 (6934 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
#30 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (3366 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman? Please, THIS man is DC's greatest detective!!!

No Caption Provided

#31 Edited by CheeseSticks (2867 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

He's clearly the greatest

#32 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#33 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC forgets there is others detectives.

Also, because it sounds cool.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
#34 Posted by Marionettegeist (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

He's clearly the greatest

Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

#35 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

I am the only one that belive Elogated Man is or was a better detective?

#36 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Because that's not apart of Spider-Man's character, he's supposed to be an average relatable guy. It's like saying why do Superman fans gets mad when he's not made to be the strongest but not Aquaman fans. Easy because Superman is supposed to be the strongest Aquaman isn't. Same idea here, Batman is supposed to be the world's greatest detective. Being the best at one thing isn't being the best at everything and no one expects him to be the best at everything. Don't know why Batman fans are stereotyped in such a negative way when the majority aren't like that. I guess hating on Batman and his fans is the new cool thing to do.

#37 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just a title and people (in comics) rarely call him that. And people do make mistakes and as its been pointed out by someone Long Halloween and Hush were written by Loeb.

#38 Posted by lifeofvibe (3785 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

@jack_donaghy said:

@joshmightbe said:

Because that's not apart of Spider-Man's character, he's supposed to be an average relatable guy. It's like saying why do Superman fans gets mad when he's not made to be the strongest but not Aquaman fans. Easy because Superman is supposed to be the strongest Aquaman isn't. Same idea here, Batman is supposed to be the world's greatest detective. Being the best at one thing isn't being the best at everything and no one expects him to be the best at everything. Don't know why Batman fans are stereotyped in such a negative way when the majority aren't like that. I guess hating on Batman and his fans is the new cool thing to do.

Myth, many Batman "fans" hate any concept and idea of Batman not being the best at everything, the fact he needs help and cant do everything by itself.

People has little no idea of all the history os Batman, they know the Myth of Batman, but they dont know Batman for who he is and he was.

Nolan Batman gets hate based on the concept Batman being the best at everything, besides the really not so popular getting back to the pulp comic book origins of Batman.

People hates Lucius Fox make his gadgets and hated thet Harold Allnut did the same, also that scientist in TAS did this too, because it means he isnt the biggest mind in the world, even when is obvious Lex Luthor mind is superior to Batman, they just decide to ignore Luthor and any other person that could outsmart Batman.

Hate the concept Ras Al Ghul can kick his ass, so do Bane, even when in fact they had done this, not to mention Deathstroke, Lady Shiva and others that can kick his ass.

Not being the best "detective", like everybody knows, a detective need clues, not Batman, he can find things with his detective powers oh sorry i mean "skills".

Sorry but The Question and Elogated Man are better detectives, i mean Elogated Man is seen to be as good as Batman, but he follow another line of logic.

He could be the third place, but not the number 1.

#40 Edited by Restitude (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Go read Batman RIP or Return of Bruce Wayne, those feats pretty much trump the feats of any other detective.

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Myth, many Batman "fans" hate any concept and idea of Batman not being the best at everything, the fact he needs help and cant do everything by itself.

People has little no idea of all the history os Batman, they know the Myth of Batman, but they dont know Batman for who he is and he was.

Nolan Batman gets hate based on the concept Batman being the best at everything, besides the really not so popular getting back to the pulp comic book origins of Batman.

People hates Lucius Fox make his gadgets and hated thet Harold Allnut did the same, also that scientist in TAS did this too, because it means he isnt the biggest mind in the world, even when is obvious Lex Luthor mind is superior to Batman, they just decide to ignore Luthor and any other person that could outsmart Batman.

Hate the concept Ras Al Ghul can kick his ass, so do Bane, even when in fact they had done this, not to mention Deathstroke, Lady Shiva and others that can kick his ass.

Not being the best "detective", like everybody knows, a detective need clues, not Batman, he can find things with his detective powers oh sorry i mean "skills".

Sorry but The Question and Elogated Man are better detectives, i mean Elogated Man is seen to be as good as Batman, but he follow another line of logic.

He could be the third place, but not the number 1.

But then there are people on the opposite of the spectrum who are equally ignorant and have no idea how Batman operates.

For one, they don't ignore Lex Luthor, they've been in several story lines together and Batman Confidential had a storyline where Bruce and Lex were matching wits. Which Bruce won BTW. Lex Luthor is smarter overall, probably by a considerable margin though.

Lucius Fox hasn't been relevant in decades, at the very best he may mass produce some of Batman's equipment like Baterangs. You act like he makes all of Batman's tech which is nonsense. The only thing Fox does now adays is run Wayne Enterprise and produces is stadard equipment.

Batman's most advanced tech, the Insider Suit, the Brother Eye, the Slider Tech that the JLA, the tech he used to take down the JLA. Lucius Fox and Harold Allnut had nothing to do with these. Also Harold Allnut hasn't been relevant since the Hush storyline, and the only thing he did in that story was die.

The only time Ra's has ever kicked Batman's ass in a fight was when he was fresh out of the Lazurus pit, every other time Bruce ends up steam rolling him.

The only time Bane has beaten Batman was Batman was already exhausted and Bane ambushed him. The other times they fought,. in No Man's Land and in Legacy, Bruce won those fights.

Contrary to popular belief Lady Shiva has never beaten Batman in a legitimate fight either. In Death in the Family they fought to a stalemate, and in Nightwing 0 she hit him with a poison dart. By this logic Cheshire has beaten Shiva because she's done the exact thing to her.

There are people who overhype Batman just like there's people who overhype every other character. Batman just gets the most flak because he's the most popular comic character in the world, but a lot of the hype he gets is justified. It's just the people who think he can beat Galactus with prep that take it too far.

I'm not sure about Elongated Man but it's pretty much been confirmed that Batman is a better detective than the Question is.

#41 Edited by Alexander505 (2710 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Batman in his universe, is the best detective in the world, but if we take the all comics and books existing, we'll see that him isn't so smart as the DC claims. Indeed, Sherlock Holmes, Conan Edogawa, Diabolik and his nemesis Ginko, are so far better than Batman, that he disappears if put alongside these characters.

#42 Edited by Restitude (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@alexander505 said:

Yes, Batman in his universe, is the best detective in the world, but if we take the all comics and books existing, we'll see that him isn't so smart as the DC claims. Indeed, Sherlock Holmes, Conan Edogawa, Diabolik and his nemesis Ginko, are so far better than Batman, that he disappears if put alongside these characters.

lol Conan isn't on the same planet as Bruce, I've read almost the entire series and seen most of the anime, even Nightwing is better than Conan is.

No Caption Provided

Love Case Closed, but Conan isn't in the same ballpark as Dick let alone Bruce.

Doyle's Sherlock Holmes has slightly better deductive reasoning but he lacks the expertise in multiple fields that Bruce has making Bruce the better detective.

Not sure who the last 2 guys are. But they better be a lot better than Conan is they're going to be comparable.

#43 Posted by TheBlueAngel93 (21064 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for timelordscience
#44 Posted by TimeLordScience (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: you pretty much only mentioned comics by Loeb. Plus the non canon animated stuff. I take it you haven't read a good enough variety of Batman material.

#45 Posted by Restitude (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective: you pretty much only mentioned comics by Loeb. Plus the non canon animated stuff. I take it you haven't read a good enough variety of Batman material.

Exactly, you need to read Scott Snyder's and Grant Morrison's material. They usually have Batman make Sherlock Holmes look like he has down syndrome.

Avatar image for timelordscience
#46 Posted by TimeLordScience (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelordscience said:

Exactly, you need to read Scott Snyder's and Grant Morrison's material. They usually have Batman make Sherlock Holmes look like he has down syndrome.

There's stuff in Morrison's run that show it for sure, in most stages of his run. It's very evident in Final Crisis. Morrison writes a damn good Batman.

#47 Edited by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#48 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers only seem to show Batman as a great detective in non-detective stories

#49 Posted by Hit_Monkey (1402 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed. I have always found Batman's detective skills don't quite live up to the hype. Unless he's playing the detective in a non-detective story.

#50 Posted by Restitude (10 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Agreed. I have always found Batman's detective skills don't quite live up to the hype. Unless he's playing the detective in a non-detective story.

Read Batman RIP or the Black Mirror, those stories, and most written by Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder in general, have insane detective feats for Batman and Dick Grayson.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.