Has Batman ever killed a person intentionally?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by S1DH1 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Batman doesn't like killing but he does have a dark side. I know about him using guns in non-canon comics but has he ever killed someone in the real continuity?

#2 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8950 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. He once hung a mentally ill guy with a rope on his Batwing.. Flew around and even said 'He is better off dead."

#3 Posted by TheHulk (848 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk heard during Batman's original debut, that puny Batman no have that "no killing" rule. It like how Superman not originally fly.

#4 Posted by Daaerk (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Yes. He once hung a mentally ill guy with a rope on his Batwing.. Flew around and even said 'He is better off dead."

Wow.

That sounds sad and interesting. Do you have any scans of it? > . <

- Daaerk

#5 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8950 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@Daaerk said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Wow.

That sounds sad and interesting. Do you have any scans of it? > . <

- Daaerk

It was a really early issue, before the Comics Code of Conduct and the "no kill rule."

#7 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

He did shoot Darkseid in Final Crisis with the intention of killing him.

#9 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Batman should play for the Ravens

*CROSS MEDIA HUMOR YEAHHHHHH*

#10 Posted by Daaerk (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: @Imagine_Man15: @BiteMe-Fanboy:

I see, no wonder it didn’t sound like our modern Batman. XD Though, thanks for the link. =3

- Daaerk

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
#11 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15 said:

To save Earth.

#12 Posted by Reignmaker (2484 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually wish Batman would treat more villains like that instance with the KG Beast. It just makes too much sense!

#13 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

To save Earth.

True, I never said it was wrong of him. The motivation is irrelevant to this thread, the question was simply if Batman has ever intentionally killed anyone, and he did in fact intend to kill Darkseid.

#14 Posted by Stronger (5051 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

I actually wish Batman would treat more villains like that instance with the KG Beast. It just makes too much sense!

Me too.

#15 Posted by S1DH1 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm thanks...

#16 Posted by TheYousef (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid.

#17 Posted by silent_bomber (4949 posts) - - Show Bio

@s1dh1 said:

I know Batman doesn't like killing but he does have a dark side. I know about him using guns in non-canon comics but has he ever killed someone in the real continuity?

Depends what you mean by "Canon Comics"

Batman has killed tons of people before the New 52, during his first year he was killing people fairly regularly.

He was still killing people off and on during the 80s, such as in 1988s "The Cult"

#18 Posted by lifeofvibe (3785 posts) - - Show Bio

@biteme_fanboy: yeah I heard about that the crack some how compiled a buch of bat kills

#19 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

@s1dh1 said:

Batman has killed tons of people before the New 52, during his first year he was killing people fairly regularly.

He was still killing people off and on during the 80s, such as in 1988s "The Cult"

Do you have more on him killing in the 80s? Like scan or specific issues? Also, he didn't kill that often, even during the Golden Age.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
#20 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8212 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord Death Man cant fully die as soon as he does he comes back to life, so Batman shot him into space in an oxygenless Ship so He'll be stuck in a permanent Loop of Life DEath

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#21 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Does the circus giant in Batman Returns count?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#22 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

A bunch of people actuall, eve Ras i dont mean Begins movie.

#23 Edited by silent_bomber (4949 posts) - - Show Bio
@knightrise said:

@silent_bomber said:

@s1dh1 said:

Do you have more on him killing in the 80s? Like scan or specific issues? Also, he didn't kill that often, even during the Golden Age.

Early Batman punched people off roofs, and cliffs, or onto swords, into vats of acid with suspicious frequency.

He also tended to put people into situations where they had no hope of surviving (yep, Comic Batman did that too), such as when he hit an airplane pilot with knock-out gas, or when he beat up a guy whilst he was driving and then bailed as he went over a cliff.

and that's not counting the times when he just plain killed people, like the guy who's neck he broke, the experimented upon man that he hung, the guys in a van he machine gunned down from the Batplane, people he crushed with a huge statue, people he literally threw to their deaths (multiple occasions) etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------

80s Batman -

• Killed Qayin at the end of Son of the Demon by kicking him into electric cables
  • Locked the KGBeast underground to starve (later retconned)
  • Blew people up in The Cult
  • Sent a car careening into some suicide bombers in DC 590
  • Blew up a bunch of crooks in Legends of the Dark Knight 31.

He also did some fairly questionable stuff, like tricking Solomon Grundy into walking into a furnace.

#24 Edited by Dud317 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

He did so very recently, though not canon to the comics.

In Arkham Origins, Joker put himself in an electric chair wired to Banes heartbeat. As his heartbeat rose the voltage rose as well. Batman was in a kill or be killed situation. He shocked Bane to death with Deathstroke's shock gloves. However, once Joker fled the scene, Batman restarted Banes heart with the same gloves. You find out it was part of the plan all along.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
#25 Posted by deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16 (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

He killed off KGBeast

Avatar image for transformers1024
#26 Posted by Transformers1024 (7600 posts) - - Show Bio

Back Swamp Thing's second volume from the 80's he told told Swamp Thing he will kill him if he ever came back to Gotham.

#27 Posted by dimitridkatsis (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

He killed off KGBeast

Yeah, and then the writers changed it. What's wrong with Bats killing as last resort? Batman had such a dramatic character development only for the other writers and dc to ignore it. Lame.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman used to dual wield 45's

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
#29 Posted by deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16 (1712 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89 said:

He killed off KGBeast

Yeah, and then the writers changed it. What's wrong with Bats killing as last resort? Batman had such a dramatic character development only for the other writers and dc to ignore it. Lame.

well i think its because some of his fanboys wouldn't stop bitching about it.

#30 Edited by DwightSpitz (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, back in the starting days of Batman barely any villains made it out alive. I dont know as far as DC canon goes, he did kill Darkseid thou & that was intentionally no?

Depending on the writer, I can accept Batman taking someone out if he is in the earlier years of his career; the seasoned Batman killing someone intentionally is just too far.

#31 Posted by Bruxae (18147 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he killed anyone intentionally in the New 52.

#33 Posted by Jean199999 (571 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember he killed Scarface, Ventriloquist's doll. It was in the issues about Matches Malone (the real Matches) and how Batman promised to kill his murderer.

#34 Posted by Zavalar37 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought the no-kill rule had more to do with inflicting suffering on criminals.

That is they would be living with debilitating psychological trauma, irreparable physical injuries or pure shame, loss of finance, etc..

In many ways Batman's punishment was far crueler than death; locking a minor criminal up in Blackgate or even Arkham, knowing that they would be subject to torture and humiliation.

#35 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

Darkseid?

#36 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Sovereign91001 (7483 posts) - - Show Bio

He did in Blind Justice.

#38 Posted by Frozen (21135 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@deathstroke52 said:

Darkseid?

Pre-Flashpoint yes, New 52 no.

Batman did not kill Darkseid. Morrison confirmed that in an interview.

Besides, Pre-Flashpoint Batman has killed 6-7 people.

#39 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen: yeah i know, I just thought that that's kind of like killing him because Batman meant to kill him.

#40 Posted by Jmarshmallow (13919 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Batman has killed lots and lots of people throughout his entire comic career.

Jmarshmallow

#41 Posted by RustyRoy (16610 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

@rustyroy said:

@deathstroke52 said:

Darkseid?

Pre-Flashpoint yes, New 52 no.

Batman did not kill Darkseid. Morrison confirmed that in an interview.

Besides, Pre-Flashpoint Batman has killed 6-7 people.

Batman shot him, intended to kill him.

#42 Posted by MuyJingo (2862 posts) - - Show Bio

Post-crisis, nope.

New 52, nope.

IN every live action movie he has murdered at least one person.

#43 Posted by redleader1 (845 posts) - - Show Bio

@biteme_fanboy: he was not mentally ill. The guy was actually a monster man, meaning he was nothing but a shell that Hugo strange was using. I don't like batman killing but this is not only in character for golden age bats but also modern bats would likely do this if he felt he had to. They had already established that it can't be reversed.

Avatar image for thebattlecalculatot
#44 Posted by TheBattleCalculatot (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes, he has

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
#45 Posted by deactivated-59c716930b8a6 (9227 posts) - - Show Bio

Why don't you ask Harvey Dent.

Oh wait...

#46 Posted by jayc1324 (26432 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, different versions of him have.

#47 Posted by Aahz (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

He killed Ras Al Ghul in Batman Annual 8 and blew up Nazis on several times in the old the Brave and the Bold series.

#48 Posted by Valdemocnij (953 posts) - - Show Bio

@dud317 said:

He did so very recently, though not canon to the comics.

In Arkham Origins, Joker put himself in an electric chair wired to Banes heartbeat. As his heartbeat rose the voltage rose as well. Batman was in a kill or be killed situation. He shocked Bane to death with Deathstroke's shock gloves. However, once Joker fled the scene, Batman restarted Banes heart with the same gloves. You find out it was part of the plan all along.

That was Electrocutioner's gloves, not Deathstroke...

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#49 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23113 posts) - - Show Bio

He tried to kill Darksied, but other than that, every other kill has been retconned

#50 Posted by Syin (1 posts) - - Show Bio

In the new animated movie Batman vs Robin. During the fight in the museum, batman attached a small bomb on one of his attackers and blew him up. I guess that counts as killing someone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.