Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Gordon of Gotham

individuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By individuo

Anybody read the series inside this upcoming TPB: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/batman-gordon-of-gotham*

If so, is the writing any comparable to Year One and/or Gotham Central?

Thanks!

*Website synopsis in case the link doesn't work:

Jim Gordon, Gotham City’s top cop, stars in this new collection of crime stories from the 1990s that stars the colorful, determined cops of Batman’s home town. Collects BATMAN: GORDON OF GOTHAM #1-4, BATMAN: GCPD #1-4 and BATMAN: GORDON’S LAW #1-4.

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

I'm not much for writing reviews but I've read all 3 of the minis in that TPB and they aren't especially memorable. They aren't on the level of Year One, not even close. Nothing about any of the series makes you significantly reassess how you view the characters or their surrounding world. I've been working my way through Gotham Central, so I can only contrast these series with GC's early years, and these minis are shallow in comparison. The characters aren't made complex, and the plots are fairly mundane.

Each mini does its own thing. I wouldn't say any of them are bad and they stand out as some of the better/unique Bat-stories for the 90s. However, I read each of them earlier this year, and I after reading a single sentence summary for each, I'm still having trouble remembering the majority of what happened. The thing I remember the most is the investigation into stolen office supplies in GCPD, a rather minor sub plot.

individuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@devitciiu: Thanks for your insight! I'm a sucker for Gordon/GCPD stories and wasn't sure where to go after GC. Btw, I think the beginning of GC is the strongest.

Maybe this Gotham by Midnight will have some good police stories to tell?

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

@devitciiu: Thanks for your insight! I'm a sucker for Gordon/GCPD stories and wasn't sure where to go after GC. Btw, I think the beginning of GC is the strongest.

Maybe this Gotham by Midnight will have some good police stories to tell?

I don't know if I'm sold of Gotham by Midnight. I like Ben Templesmith, and his art can really lend itself well to detective/crime comics (see Fell) but the X-Files like description of the series has me uninterested. I prefer Gotham and the GCPD to be street level. I guess it will depend on how it is done. I'm unsure about Ray Fawkes. I know he's part of the Eternal team but I that book is so up and down depending on who is scripting and I can't recall if he's one of the good or bad scripters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.