Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23647 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Frank Millers Batman Books

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez
    No Caption Provided

Is DK2 as good as The Dark Knight Returns Books

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By gotwillpower

I think Frank Miller tried too hard to replicate The Dark Knight Returns, but what do I know. I guess some of it's good, but not really to my taste.

You have to keep in mind it was published more than a decade ago. Many have speculated that even The Dark Knight Returns doesn't stand up today (I am of that opinion, mostly). Still, I also think you can't criticize something that's older because it doesn't translate well in the future. If you read it for what it is, rather than try to make it something it's not, you'll enjoy it! I think.

redhoodnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By redhoodnet

No.. not really...

But I would say it has been given more negative reviews than it should because TDKR was so good! I would look at it like this. The Dark Night Rises is not as good as The Dark Night but it is still good!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

@redhoodnet said:

No.. not really...

But I would say it has been given more negative reviews than it should because TDKR was so good! I would look at it like this. The Dark Night Rises is not as good as The Dark Night but it is still good!

TDKRises was decent to good

TDKSA is pure crap!

Zyrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zyrok

@gotwillpower said:

I think Frank Miller tried too hard to replicate The Dark Knight Returns, but what do I know. I guess some of it's good, but not really to my taste.

You have to keep in mind it was published more than a decade ago. Many have speculated that even The Dark Knight Returns doesn't stand up today (I am of that opinion, mostly). Still, I also think you can't criticize something that's older because it doesn't translate well in the future. If you read it for what it is, rather than try to make it something it's not, you'll enjoy it! I think.

I disagree: you can definitely criticize something because it does not hold up well. I'm a Batman fan, but honestly, I don't think The Dark Knight Returns is that good. It's good, but I see people ranking in the best Batman story ever. I totally disagree with that.

DK2 is awfull, imo. Don't touch the stuff.

Skewer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Skewer

I've read it and I gotta say you're going to be really disappointed. It doesn't stand well on its own and it suffers a heavy case of sequelitis and completely trashes what was good about the first book. The book is mainly made up of the following; news debates like the previous book but its about freedom vs oppression which sounds good but here's the problems; the debates happen between news anchors and hookers who happen to be DC characters like black canary who are doing sex poses( which also isn't as good as that sounded since the art sucks and looks ugly) and giving the cheesiest dialogue I've seen since batman and robin, Random stuff and characters that come out of nowhere and leave while the act of of character and give no solid reason for why they act that way, the fact that batman is barely in this thing and more attention is spent on superman humping Wonder Woman ( which is also not as good as it sounds since it comes out of nowhere and at the worst possible time) while creating havoc than what really matters like the villain plot or how they are defeated which ends up coming out of nowhere, the bill just keeps finding an excuse to keep going. This is just the tip of the iceberg and I recommend you avoid it.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By gotwillpower

@Zyrok said:

@gotwillpower said:

I disagree: you can definitely criticize something because it does not hold up well. I'm a Batman fan, but honestly, I don't think The Dark Knight Returns is that good. It's good, but I see people ranking in the best Batman story ever. I totally disagree with that.

DK2 is awfull, imo. Don't touch the stuff.

I partially agree with you. Being timeless is a quality every comic should strive for. But I think if you are reviewing something from the past, you should consider its effect when it was first published.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Phaedrusgr

Guys, Miller revived Batman, so we should respect the writer that gave us a chance to enjoy an incredible comic character. That being said, it doesn't mean we can't criticize him. Why am I saying this? Cause I see that some fans tend to "crapify" his work. Well, I guess they should read the bara bara pow stories. Anyway, DK2 is not his best work, nevertheless, can't say I didn't have fun reading it, but that's just me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

It had some very cool ideas unlike All-Star(which was garbage) but at the end of the day I'm not exactly sure what exactly it was supposed to accomplish,it felt redundant and unnecessary,characters were also depicted as being juvenile,Lex and Batman were talking like teen gangster wannabes.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had it's good points, and I even bought it, but it always feels like it was just made for money to me, because the original was fine on its own.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two thing or the guys is making fun of how dark comic bookr could get or he just lost his touch.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By reignmaker

People who say The Dark Knight Returns is overrated weren't there to see just how dramatically it changed the comics industry. Chances are whatever book you're enjoying now was in someway shaped or influenced by TDKR.

On the other hand, DK2 was a cash grab. Nothing more. Still haven't read it and I'm not really eager to.

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mpierce2690

A lot of Frank Miller's stuff is overrated because he wrote Year One, which was admittedly fantastic, but he's got a ton of acclaim he didn't deserve because after Year One he was deemed "the Batman guy."

The Dark Knight Returns isn't nearly as good as it's praised to be, people talk about it like it's the Batman bible, but really it's just a decent story. Quite frankly, if it had ended after the first half (right after the Mutant fight), it'd be in higher regard for me. But yeah, it continued on from there and was pretty meh the rest of the way, causing it to average out. But because Miller did Year One, obviously that must mean he knows Batman better than everyone else and that makes Dark Knight Returns supposedly great.

Anyways, the point is that Strikes Again gets compared to the TDKR, which is unreasonably highly rated and the failure of Strikes Again in comparison makes it suck to people. Truth is that it's not the worst book ever written, it does have pretty bad spots just like TDKR, but it had it's moments.

I'd give TDKR like a 7 or 8, though the art makes me want to rate it lower. DK2 is like a 4 or 5.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@Reignmaker: Exactly. Great comment.

Zyrok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zyrok

@Reignmaker said:

People who say The Dark Knight Returns is overrated weren't there to see just how dramatically it changed the comics industry. Chances are whatever book you're enjoying now was in someway shaped or influenced by TDKR. On the other hand, DK2 was a cash grab. Nothing more. Still haven't read it and I'm not really eager to.

Historical importance is different than quality, you know, I respect DKR, and am happy that it existed, but nonetheless, I don't like it very much.

@mpierce2690 said:

A lot of Frank Miller's stuff is overrated because he wrote Year One, which was admittedly fantastic, but he's got a ton of acclaim he didn't deserve because after Year One he was deemed "the Batman guy."

The Dark Knight Returns isn't nearly as good as it's praised to be, people talk about it like it's the Batman bible, but really it's just a decent story. Quite frankly, if it had ended after the first half (right after the Mutant fight), it'd be in higher regard for me. But yeah, it continued on from there and was pretty meh the rest of the way, causing it to average out. But because Miller did Year One, obviously that must mean he knows Batman better than everyone else and that makes Dark Knight Returns supposedly great.

Anyways, the point is that Strikes Again gets compared to the TDKR, which is unreasonably highly rated and the failure of Strikes Again in comparison makes it suck to people. Truth is that it's not the worst book ever written, it does have pretty bad spots just like TDKR, but it had it's moments.

I'd give TDKR like a 7 or 8, though the art makes me want to rate it lower. DK2 is like a 4 or 5.

I pretty much agree completely with you.

Sci_Fi_Rulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sci_Fi_Rulez

@redhoodnet said:

No.. not really...

it's pretty decent then?..it's better then comics today right?

sumafatrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sumafatrider

frank miller didnt revive the dark batman(i mean lets not forget dennis oneil,neal adams,,,,etc) but he did give you a picture of how dark batman can get,plus he also made WOLVERINE and DAREDEVİL just as cool,he gave wolverine his line"i am good at what i do,but what i do isnt very nice" at one point you could say he was gifted BUT now he is burnt out or something,the dark knight strikes back was TERRİBLE,i hate the way he keeps on tring to ruin dick grayson,now he just seems.... well, stupid!! and immature may be its his ego it is a terrible thing ego:(

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Stormbox

@Sci_Fi_Rulez said:

@redhoodnet said:

No.. not really...

it's pretty decent then?..it's better then comics today right?

No, its terrible

One of the worst comics that ive hard the displeasure to read, horrible writing, art and coloring (if you read it you know what i mean by this)

Avoid it like the fcking plague

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By tomlikesfries

I don't know why I'm saying this right now, because it doesn't exactly answers the question in the OP, but I find Miller's books highly overrated. I've never read TDKR, but Year One is really nothing special in my opinion.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By z3ro180

@Phaedrusgr You seem like the right person to ask this question. Now I don't like frank millers work not cause I think his stuff is bad just that its not for me but I am thinking about getting all star batman and robin and was going to ask you if it was any good ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.