Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 21998 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Eight Other Times We had a Different Batman

• 81 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

This week's BATMAN #41 marks the first full issue with an all-new and all-differentBatman. With the conclusion to the Endgame story arc in issue #39, we saw a pretty definitive ending to the battle between Batman and Joker. Then we saw the image of an armored Batman. Many asked what that meant. Why would Batman wear a suit of armor?

No Caption Provided

Change can be good but sometimes it's just hard to accept. We all know who Batman is. The idea of him, or someone else, running around in a robo-suit just seems...odd. Then again, now that we have more information from the Free Comic Book Day issue, this could be a really intriguing story arc.

And we are assuming it's an arc and not the new status quo for Batman for the rest of his history. For those that are concerned, worried, or even outraged over a change in Batman, this is hardly the first time it's happened. We have seen many others in the role for various reasons. Let's think about how well they did.

No Caption Provided

Jean-Paul Valley

No Caption Provided

Jean-Paul Valley, as Azrael, became an ally to Batman. After Batman's encounter with Bane, where he was left paralyzed, Jean-Paul stepped in as the Dark Knight (in 1993). He eventually went towards a more armored look as he started getting into the thick of fighting Batman's rogues.

Jean-Paul was able to hold his own in the dark nights of Gotham City. Little by little, he started to change more than just the suit. He started becoming more and more violent. He even refused to acknowledge Robin (Tim Drake) as his sidekick.

Eventually Batman recovered from his injuries (long story). He confronted Jean-Paul and reclaimed his role as Batman.

No Caption Provided

Dick Grayson

Bruce Wayne might have been back as Batman, but he wasn't quite ready to fully return to the role. In BATMAN #512, Bruce made a wiser decision, he asked Dick Grayson, the original Robin, to step in for him. Dick wasn't sure about this decision. While he did wonder why Bruce hadn't asked him in the first place, he simply felt he couldn't replace Bruce as Batman.

Even Commissioner Gordon figured it out right away.

No Caption Provided

Dick ended up going back to his Nightwing identity. He even moved on to Bludhaven to further build his own identity out of Batman's shadow.

Later when Batman "died," there was a big question as to who would or should take the mantle. Eventually Dick become Batman once again despite his reluctance.

No Caption Provided

Dick did come into his own and accepted the role. He might have become Batman but he did also maintain his own identity. Along with Damian Wayne as Robin, the two became a formidable Dynamic Duo. Bruce did make his way back from the dead (he was really trapped back in time and worked his way up the timeline and some stuff). Bruce did return to being Batman and Dick remained Batman as well.

Or at least he did up until the New 52 happened and Dick was back as Nightwing.

No Caption Provided

Jason Todd

Oh Jason.

Poor troubled Jason Todd. As the second Robin, he wasn't able to catch a break. Even if you don't agree with his methods when became the Red Hood, you almost can't blame him. He came to see Batman as a father figure. When Joker killed him, Batman didn't really do too much about it. Jason was a little unbalanced from the experience of dying and returning to life. Eventually when Batman was thought to be dead, Jason felt he was entitled to the role. Jason took his Red Hood methods and gave Gotham, briefly, a more violent and deadly Batman.

The rest of the Bat-Family didn't necessarily agree with him.

No Caption Provided

Tim Drake

No Caption Provided

While Jason was causing trouble during the Battle for the Cowl arc, Tim also decided to also step up and become Batman. He decided Jason had to be stopped since he was going too far. He went on a search and tracked down Jason.

They ended up fighting each other. It was pretty ugly and brutal. Tim was a great fighter but, as Jason put it, had been brainwashed by Bruce into fighting with certain ideals. Tim wouldn't take things too far. Although, as the fight continued, Tim did find himself with a crowbar in his hand and was using it against Jason. It looked like Tim had the upper hand but Jason simply laughed due to a razor sharp Batarang that had stabbed Tim.

Batman in the future?

No Caption Provided

Damian Wayne

No Caption Provided

In 2007's BATMAN #666, we got to see a dark future.

Who better to take on the role of Batman than his actual son? Damian Wayne took on the role as Gotham was, again, in a pretty bad place.

This might have been an alternate possible future and only took place in a single issue but the idea of Damian as Batman was revisited again in BATMAN INCORPORATED #5 and DAMIAN, SON OF BATMAN #1-4.

As cool as the idea of Damian as Batman in the future is, it's a pretty bleak place. We would have to hope this is something that doesn't actually happen.

No Caption Provided

Terry McGinnis

In 1999, we got a pretty amazing animated series showing Batman far off in his future. He managed to survive to an older age. Unfortunately it got to the point, even with a high tech suit, his body just couldn't handle being Batman any longer.

Bruce retired as Batman and became a bit of a recluse. One day Terry McGinnis came into his life. Terry became the futuristic Batman of Neo-Gotham.

With the outcome from FUTURES END and in the current BATMAN BEYOND, Terry is no longer this version of Batman. If you still don't know who this new Batman is, even though the first issue is already on sale, we won't spoil it in this article. But you can read about it in THIS ONE.

Other Weird Moments

There's some other moments that almost don't count but we thought we'd mention them for the fun of it.

No Caption Provided

Hugo Strange

Hugo has a pretty wacky backstory. He didn't actually officially become Batman. As a psychiatrist, he was brought to Gotham to help the police with figuring out who the vigilante was and how to stop him. He seemed to have his own...issues.

You can watch our 3-Minute Expert video to see this moment plus the rest of his story HERE.

Superman

Over the years, even Superman has dressed up as Batman for different reasons. Most usually occurred in the Silver Age comics when Bruce and Batman needed to be seen in the same place.

Above you can see the episode from the third season of Superman: The Animated Series. If you want to see the entire episode and have an Amazon Prime account, you can check it out HERE.

No Caption Provided

Has there been other Batmen? Probably. You can tell us your favorites if we missed any.

What about this new armored Batman? Again, we won't spoil it here, even though the word is out and was shown in the DIVERGENCE Free Comic Book Day issue. BATMAN #41 will mark the beginning of an interesting story. With the couple "weird" exceptions, the person replacing Batman has always been put in place with Bruce's blessings in a way. Batman in an armor isn't necessarily the route he would normally go. But these are special times. With how Endgame ended, the decision was made for Batman.

We will have some pretty big spoilers on Wednesday in an interview with Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, when BATMAN #41 goes on sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Besides Terry they were all crappy IMO. Nothing will make robot batman with James Gordon OK. Anyone in a mechanical suit should not be called batman. IMO no one but Bruce Wayne should be called Batman, especially someone who isn't even part of the batfamily like Gordon. Batman is Bruce Wayne, end of story. Stop populating the DCU with other Batman's. Batman Inc. did enough of that.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

@jayc1324: Can't say I agree with you there. Keeping a well-known character exactly the same throughout their run makes the brand grow stale. In bringing in new characters to take over the mantle and others to challenge Batman, the writers serve to emphasize the point that Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, he's an idea.

I will agree that a lot of the people who were set to take over as Batman wouldn't have been good for the role in a long-term sense, but that doesn't mean having them as an interim mantle-holder is a bad idea. Tim Drake as Batman, even if it is momentarily, would serve to help him grow as a character, and ultimately, turn him into a better Robin, and a more mature Tim Drake.

In fact, the only characters who I think were perfect versions of Batman (in their own ways), were Terry and Dick. Terry because he was a young, brash, optimistic Batman, going against the traditional older, calculating, reserved Batman. And Dick was perfect simply because he seemed so out of place in the role, not because he didn't have the ability or the right (because he had both), but since he knew who Batman was, he couldn't get past the man behind the mask. I'm actually still a little salty over the fact that he didn't stay Batman for a little longer.

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarthDanMan

Bane was sort of Batman for a bit in Forever Evil: Arkham War.

I second really liking Dick as Batman and wish he stayed longer. The nod in Batman #40 was nice. I'm also a fan of perma-death in comics although that statement seems paradoxical.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I'm ok with Gordon filling in for Batman, but I'd like some more details on the suit. Who made it and why? There has to be some backstory there. The suit is a stranger change for me than Gordon.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

You my boy Terry! Always! Everyone else kinda sucked. I mean Dick was ok, I want to see how Gordon turns out but Terry will always be the best!

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im not worried, it might be kina cool seeing Gordon as Batman.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if Time Drake got a REAL chance to be batman he would be great. Unfortunately he'd just be less dark version of Bruce.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gordon seems like a poor choice for Batman, at least how it's been explained from what we have seen so far. Not sure why he would shave the stache and get a military mohawk. Curious to see if the story works or not.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I might be the only one to say this ever, but i honestly want Bruce dead and Commissioner Gordon as Batman permanently. There's just too much i want to see that would be ruined if Bruce became Batman again.

1. I want to see how the Bat-family deals with the deaths of Batman and Joker as well as their reactions to the new Batman. Im especially curious about Batgirl's, Damian's, and Red Hood's reaction.

2. Pretty much the same as 1 except for Justice League instead.

3. I want to see the new Batman in a movie and video game.

4. I want writers to challenge themselves to create a new family and new rogues gallery that's as interesting or more so than the original's

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick was a great Batman, love that run.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Great breakdown of pervious batmen. I'm a little worried how gordon will do as batman, I trust Snyder to tell a great story but i have doubts. There isn't anything really left for Snyder to do with batman. He's told an origin, created the court of owls, and has given us two really good joker story arcs. I guess "killing him" and giving us an new Batman is what had to follow. I hope it works out.

Avatar image for originalalchemist
    originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if this is just the beginning of the robot Batmen patrolling Gotham that we saw in Kingdom Come.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone actually explain what lead up to this? I even read Endgame and I have no idea what "definitive" end to the Batman vs Joker fight Tony is talking about. It was about as ambiguous as you can get, which is always the case with Batman and Joker. Is this supposed to be Bruce in the suit or some other person? Is it supposed to be a secret they're going to drag out like the new Thor? If it's just Bruce Wayne in a robot suit, he's done that before, so I'm not sure why there would be outrage.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dickbats was my favorite, I miss the camelot age of Batman RIP where we got colorful new stories involving Steph Brown as Batgirl, Batman and Robin(Damian), RED ROBIN, JLA-titans and eventually Batman Inc when both men played the role simultaneously. Batman Beyond is my second favorite...

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: Its Jim Gordon in the suit.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjon: Yeah neither was I. I thought Bruce had just become so disfigured or damaged that he needed the armor.

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smoothjammin said:

Dickbats was my favorite, I miss the camelot age of Batman RIP where we got colorful new stories involving Steph Brown as Batgirl, Batman and Robin(Damian), RED ROBIN, JLA-titans and eventually Batman Inc when both men played the role simultaneously. Batman Beyond is my second favorite...

Oh yeah, I love the way Morrison writes Batman, from his run in JLA (the best JLA book ever IMO), to his run in Batman, Batman and Robin and Batman Inc.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course fans shouldn't worry. Status quo is generally god. It's not often things like this stick. The problem is that writers keep rehashing the same tired concepts and that mucks up the title for a few years on average.

I can tell you I have zero interest in reading a Batman title without Batman in it.

Other publishers want my money. They'll get it.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sticking with this solely because of the writer.

If it wasn't for that I'd sit this one out like I did with the Morrison era.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot Bane as Batman. xD

No Caption Provided
    SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson as Batman was the bomb. Wish he had stayed as Batman for an extra few years.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 4

Tim was better as Batman, not in that Battle for the Cowl thing but in the alternate future where Titans (or, Young Justice) takes over as the League members. Tim would be scarier than Bruce, if he ever made it there. Half the time he's questioning if what they're fighting for is worth anything, if they're actually making a change. He wants to give up the Bat moniker. But IF he became Batman,...

Plus he IS a younger version of Batman. Their characters are so much similar, it's as if Tim's story is "Batman: The missing years" Oh, and he also had to go to Paris, train with Shiva, learn weapons AND... did you know he flew into a warzone? He's a step above Dick, both in intelligence and rogues gallery.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It's a strange change by bringing Gordon as Batman but I'm interested to see the direction Snyder will take him to.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: convergence sneak peak shows who made it.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: convergence sneak peek shows who made it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 19

like i keep telling people: it won't last

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really curious about what happened to Gordon between the events of Eternak and Endgame. Did he go back to the GCPD, is he acting as a contractor thru the company showed in the FCBD issue? I'm glad Batman, Detective and Bat/Supe all drop this week.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent article, the most memorable replacement for me was jean paul valley or some call him knightfall batman. While he was probably the worst to take over the mantle, dick or tim would have no problem filling his shoes. Jason is to remorseless. He doesnt care whether he has to kill or not

As for the NEW batman, we'll just have to wait and see...

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

It will be interesting to see how this new Batman will do things in Gotham City.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@51stpresidentofplanetneutral: Its fine if you don't agree. I don't like the idea of batman being an idea. Batman is Bruce Wayne, no one else. Batman is simply Bruce Wayne's persona. There was actually a story when he stopped going by Bruce Wayne and only wanted to be called batman. Its Bruce Wayne and only Bruce Wayne, any other version is not the real batman to me and is just an impostor. Not anyone should be able to jump in a suit and call themselves batman. Theres a difference between changing things up and straight up replacing him and saying that anyone in a suit can be batman. Batman is Bruce Wayne after his parents died, not dick Grayson, not Tim, not Damian, not terry and not Gordon. They are copycat batmen, not the real one. But that is just my opinion. I'm not reading a batman story without Bruce Wayne.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now we need this article for Captain America, Thor, and Superman. And one that opens up a discussion on which ones have worked, and which haven't.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panicking over comics, seriously? lol

But Bunnyman is a lame design.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0 interest now.

SuperPowered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Let us not forget the best Batman: Bane. I mean, he beats villains to death with his giant metal bat logo on his chest.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Gordon is cool.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick as Batman in Grant Morrison's run is by far by favorite. Him and Damian had such a great dynamic. Rather see Dick take up the mantle again but hopefully the Commish will be a good stand in for a few issues.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RexWing

@jayc1324: Bruce himself would most likely disagree as well, as he has stated many times, Batman is an ideal and there should always be a Batman in Gotham, even if he can't fill the role. But I totally see where you are coming from, I prefer Bruce under the cowl more than anyone else

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By joshmightbe

I don't have any issues with Jim Gordon using a robotic bat suit to fight crime, I'm sure that won't stick anyway but what is up with the bunny ears? I assume this artist has seen a bat or at least Batman at some point in his career, right?

SlimJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Would have been better to have Snyder write a few Terry McGinnis Batman Beyond issues.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot the Batman from DC One Million.

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Besides Terry they were all crappy IMO. Nothing will make robot batman with James Gordon OK. Anyone in a mechanical suit should not be called batman. IMO no one but Bruce Wayne should be called Batman, especially someone who isn't even part of the batfamily like Gordon. Batman is Bruce Wayne, end of story. Stop populating the DCU with other Batman's. Batman Inc. did enough of that.

Bruce uses mechanical suits all the time.

The Beyond Suit

Justice Buster

Hellbat

Dark Knight Suit

Batwraith

He's a quick change in mentality away from going by Iron Bat, in all honesty.

Personally, I think Terry pulled off the perfect Batman, but that's me.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CitizenJP
    @themantisshrimp said:

Dick was a great Batman, love that run.

Yesss one of my favorites. Him and Damian were an awesome team.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: those were all for special occasions. It is not his normal suit

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

:( still can't get over what happened to Terry.

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#48  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR
    No Caption Provided

you forgot Brane Taylor

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

:( still can't get over what happened to Terry.

**** DC for doing that to Terry.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No one but Bruce should be Batman

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.