Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Did Bruce Wayne go to college?

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so my batman knowledge is limited and since this has been nagging at me, I come asking you guys for help.

In most origin stories of Batman from what I've seen (movies, some comics, cartoon), Bruce started his training shortly after his parent's death. Other times it's sometime around his young adult years that he goes abroad and starts learning martial arts, language, lockpicking and everything else he can gather.

So it made me think...did he ever have time to go to college? Did he ever go to college? I know Dick went to college but I never really get any info if Bruce did himself.

Honestly, he was going to inherit Wayne Enterprises anyway and become the CEO, so I guess there really was no need for him to choose a major or even attend a university. He's already pretty smart and probably was being taught how to run the company ever since he was a child, buuut on the other hand, I'd think that with his standing, he would want a degree or something to that nature.

So did Bruce Wayne ever go to college? Is it ever established what college? Was it Gotham University or was it more like he attended school abroad like in Oxford? Or did he never attend it at all?

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

sorry, I don't actually know.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he travelled the world and picked up skills in his late teens to 20s.

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

IIRC, in the pre-Crisis era he went to Yale.

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caivu: @nerevarine_11: @linsanel_doctor: @itsaworld:I think he did but didn't finish anything.

He studied chemistry,criminology and detective skills of sorts. He only took the nescicary courses and then left, the same way Sherlock filters out the things of wich are unimportant to him.

He only took wats necessary for neing Batman .

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The golden and silver age version went to collage before he became Batman, the post crisis version started to travel the world at age 14 but till the age of 20 he spent this time mostly attending different (European) Universities (even if that seems kind of unrealistic to me), then he joined the FBI but left after a few weaks and after started to train with more exotic teachers to learn all the cool stuff.

The new 53 Bruce left Gotham for training after finishing school at the age of 18 (but to me it is not clear if it was highschool or collage).

@caivu: Wasn't Yale from the Nolan films?

Caivu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@aahz: Maybe? It was either Yale or Princeton there.

Avatar image for dealthy_hallows
    Dealthy_Hallows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itsaworld: In The Man Who Falls, at age 14 Bruce started attending many campuses only to become bored with class "He would say, there is always another city, another professor, another class" Then he joined the FBI for like 3 months

Avatar image for deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f
    deactivated-5d30ff90eed8f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is what he actually did: since he was 14 he went to different universities like Yale, he would drop out after the first semester, then move on to another. Not only did he attended different universities he traveled all over the world gaining as many skills as he could. He would go to Europe and master escape artistry, he would go to Africa and push is body to push his body to the limit and would go to South America to master slide of hand. He spent the rest of his days training in the mountains becoming a martial artist. He finished all of his academic education by the time he was 18 and graduated with 14 masters degrees from various universities. The masters degrees were in subjects like: criminology, physchology, forensics, engineering, physics, chemistry, biology, etc. Batman is a polymath who has mastered too many disciplines to type here right now.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, but he never actually graduated. I know he did meet Julie Madison at college though, in the new 52 storyline

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Yes, but he never actually graduated. I know he did meet Julie Madison at college though, in the new 52 storyline

That might be again "Morrison approach" of treating everything as canon without looking in which continuity it belongs ...

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to think (with no evidence) that he took many correspondence courses while training.

Dick went to college, but dropped out in the first year.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eto
    Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Arrow

He went to several different colleges and he went to the courses that would be useful to think.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Ya how else did he learn several languages lol.

daniel eli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that He went to learn martial arts and more skills...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daniel eli: and also dozen of other languages/cultures

dragonrampage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

According to Bob Kane yes, and there would be enough time for him in year one to go. Other than that no,

apewar012467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't he travel around the world and get degrees?

ryandavid2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what you need more for frankenstein chapter 19 quotes. You are good enough and want to go to the college. I think you should have to go to the college to complete your study.

John24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love to read comics and i have read number of comics but this is most interesting.This comic which is about bruce wayne is incredible.hope to read such interesting stuff.https://justpva.com/

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caivu said:

IIRC, in the pre-Crisis era he went to Yale.

Will829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aronw95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think bruce wayne is a self taught man. also he have had a lot of help from Mr. Fox, who is indeed a genius. He excels in his detective skills and efficient use of resources around him.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.