Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

DC giving Batman too much popularity?

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The focus of this thread is my personal opinion that DC has given Batman too much popularity and fame. What I mean by this is that it feels to me that DC will not give any other superheroes a chance anymore to gain in popularity outside of comics. In the comics I'll give it to them that everyone has a pretty fair chance (except for Superman in my opinion) but when it comes to video games, live action films, and animated films, it feels as though DC just won't give any other hero a chance in recent years. For example, Batman has 10 solo animated films finished and in production while other characters are lacking in this area such as Wonder Woman who has only 1 animated film, Green Lantern has only 2 films, and Superman only has 4 films. There is a clear bias toward Batman. Furthermore when it comes to live action films, Batman has had 3 films since 2005 and is even being shoved into Batman v Superman when Superman just recently only got his first live action film since 1987. What do you guys think? Do you think DC has given Batman an absurd amount of popularity (outside of comics) compared to all the other characters?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

No, more Batman is a good thing,gimme more Batman.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Smashton

@entropy_aegis: I sadly don't agree, Batman isn't the greatest thing ever in my opinion. I like him and all but I would much rather cut Batman's popularity in half and spread it across different characters. Give them all a chance

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arkhamace

@entropy_aegis said:

you know... there are more awsome comics , not only batman... especially azzarello's wonder woman was really special

the most common thing to say about superman is that he is boring with his powers but batman can be boring too because he has for everything a preparation

i think the problem is batman makes the most money so the other heroes must suffer... i like batman comics, they are awsome but flash, cyborg or other heroes should be pushed

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't give anyone other than Batman a chance outside of Comics?

2011: Green Lantern

2012: Arrow

2013: Man of Steel

2013: Injustice Gods Among Us

2014: Flash

2015: Vixen

2016: Legends of Tomorrow

2016: Batman v Superman - Wonder Woman, Aquaman & Superman

2016: Suicide Squad

2016: Unknown DC game

2017: Wonder Woman

2017: Justice League

2017: Injustice 2

2018: Flash

2018: Aquaman

2019: Shazam

2019: Justice League 2

2020: Cyborg

2020: Green Lantern Corps

Not giving anyone a chance?

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Some of those don't count because they aren't solo properties such as Injustice and Batman v Superman and Justice League. Further more, these movies still do not defeat the fact that in this day in time Batman still has far more. Even if you count the new live action movies coming out (which can be cancelled anyways) it still doesn't change the fact that Batman will soon have a total of 10 animated films and 3 live action films and there are even talks of 3 MORE Batman live action films from Ben Affleck. So if we compare all of Batman's stuff to each individual character you listed, Batman still has more than any of them. 1 Shazam movies does not equal 3 Batman movies. If we count it all up, no matter what Batman will have 13 SOLO movies (live action and animated) while the highest any other character has is Superman with a total of 9. It still is unfair to the other characters and they shouldn't have went down this road in the first place.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@smashton said:

@entropy_aegis: I sadly don't agree, Batman isn't the greatest thing ever in my opinion. I like him and all but I would much rather cut Batman's popularity in half and spread it across different characters. Give them all a chance

How exactly do you propose a half cut in popularity? which company would be stupid enough to even try? they give other characters a shot from time to time, they dont sell period.

@entropy_aegis said:

you know... there are more awsome comics , not only batman... especially azzarello's wonder woman was really special

the most common thing to say about superman is that he is boring with his powers but batman can be boring too because he has for everything a preparation

i think the problem is batman makes the most money so the other heroes must suffer... i like batman comics, they are awsome but flash, cyborg or other heroes should be pushed

I have read Azz's WW,tell WW fans to love it not me, they think it sucks cause "no feats". I never even said anything about Superman, and Batman being prepared for everything hasn't stopped writers from creating interesting stories,Superman gets boring because writers cant juggle his powers properly,whereas with Batman the all prepared BatGod can exist side by side with the White Martians and Dr Hurt.

Other heroes suffer because of Batman? lol does Batman water board them or something?

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I think you are overstating Batman as a character and his stories and SEVERELY undermining everyone else. Batman is NOT prepared for everything, and the Batgod thing in my opinion was just absurd. Have you ever read All Star Superman? Or The Man of Steel (1986)? Or The Death of Superman? All of these stories go in depth about the character and his personality and struggles. Comics aren't always all about fighting and taking down a bad guy, they can be much more complicated and deep than that. I'm not trying to say Batman is a BAD character. I'm just trying to say that DC ride his overrated popularity more than they should. If I were to compare them to Marvel, Marvel has Spider-man which everyone loves, Iron man who has gained enormous popularity, Thor who gained some popularity from the movies, Hulk and so on. Marvel has given all these characters a CHANCE and it paid off. While DC won't give any character any chance in the large public audience except Batman.

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i heard the opposite , WW fans loved azzarello's run and dont love finchs run...

for me its clear that its all about the money... otherwise we would see much more experiments about the other heroes...why has batman seven comics and flash only 1 ?

that is without the batman/superman...

batman clearly is dcs top dog and not superman or even wonder woman

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kfabz-23

@smashton: of course not because Batman is the FACE of DC, he is who the people want to see the most. But that doesn't mean they're not giving other characters a chance. Same could be said for Ironman having to movies in Phase 1 and Age Of Ultron basically being an expanded part of Ironman's story or Wolverine being the only X-Men character to have his own series. Their will always be a character who edges the rest out in terms of popularity.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: That wasn't always the case. Superman used to be the face of DC, but since the boom of Batman's popularity (largely in part to the Dark Knight movies) Superman has fallen down to lower tiers and now many people hate him because DC won't give him the chance he deserves and show people how good of a character he can really be. This goes for all DC heroes that aren't Batman. Who would you say is the FACE of Marvel? I'd say Spider-man, he seems like the most popular. The only difference is that Marvel doesn't shove Spider-man down our throats like DC does with Batman. It just saddens me that DC won't get off this Bat-Train and give their other equally amazing characters as much light as Batman. Batman is like the king of the castle and then everyone else is a peasant with one or two shining moments.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Enzo991

I think you got it backward. DC is focusing on Batman because he's popular, not because they gave him popularity (however that works). This topic is not about you not liking how DC treats its other characters, but you trying to rationalize Superman's declining popularity, and trying to blame Batman for it, just like every other person on this site who dislike Batman tries to do.

Batman is popular, because as a concept he has much more potential than many other DC characters, especially compared to the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman. That's why you see him in many comics, movies, animations, and video games, because there are many interesting stories that can be told about him in whatever medium they use, be it visual or interactive. That's not to mention the loads and loads of strong supporting characters that the Batman franchise have.

Let's take the concept of a Superman video game as an example, since you brought it up. There has been more than a few Superman games in the past, but none of them managed to be anything more than mediocre at best, despite that the games let the players experience Superman's abilities, from flying to firing lasers, and yet the games still failed. I believe that's because the Superman character simply doesn't fit into a solo video game, because if the game was made to represent Superman accurately you end up with a boring game with broken fly controls, and if he wasn't represented properly, you'd have people raging over the misrepresentation. Having Superman in a Justice League type of game is as good as it's gonna get for Superman's fans. I started to see many people clamoring for a Superman game after the massive success of the Arkham games, as if that meant anything for a Superman game, forgetting that the Batman franchise naturally fits the video game format, while other DC properties doesn't necessarily fit as well.

And on the Marvel analogy, I like to point out that Marvel's top dog is currently Iron Man, not Spider-Man, at least that's been the case for some time now. You'll find many people complaining about Iron Man being overexposed just like you're complaining about Batman, so that's not a really good comparison to draw.

Bottom line, the fact that Batman is popular, doesn't mean he's stealing popularity from other characters, and his popularity is most definitely not because DC is dumping all the popularity they have on him, with nothing left for other character's to share (seriously popularity is not a physical thing that DC can apply to their character's, it comes naturally from how much people like the character >_>). Superman and other DC characters will have to "successfully" adapt to become mainstream again, but until that happens, I don't see any character dethroning the Batgod anytime soon.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: how are they not giving Superman a chance? He had his own solo movie to start of the DCEU it succeeded. He shared being the main character in Injustice alongside Batman. He's also starring in a movie alongside Batman and the Zack Snyder said that Batman will seem more of the villain between the two.

And 99% of the people that dislike that the character is because of the lack of understanding they have of Superman, it isn't because of his lack of exposure. And in the world we live in today, the people who like the character far exceeds the ones who dislike him.

I'd say Ironman has become the face of Marvel but I carry on with Spider-Man. Lets see Spiderman has had 5 movies, is about to be rebooted for a 3rd time and because of Spiderman multiple Marvel movies have been delayed.

Spider-Man has had more video games than any other Marvel hero BY FAR as well, and he has way more merchandise. And the only reason why we don't see even more of Spider-Man is because Disney does not own the rights to the character.

Yes Batman is at the top, but to say their other characters aren't getting chances is absurd. On TV and Movies by the time we reach 2020 we will/have see(n)...

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Cyborg, Shazam, Atom, Black Canary, Green Lantern, White Canary, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Firestorm, Huntress, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Harley, Joker, Captain Boomerang, Katana, Captain Cold, Lex Luthor & Black Adam. What more do you want?

They even ave Aquaman his own animated movie.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Man of Steel was the SECOND attempt to start the DC Universe, and it came with MIXED reception from viewers. So instead of giving us a sequel to Man of Steel before the team up movies they decided to throw Batman in the mix, and I feel strongly that the original reason for that was money and popularity of Batman. Man of Steel deserved to get a sequel such as Iron man and Iron man 2 BEFORE a team up movie. Secondly, I don't agree that in modern society Superman isn't hated as much as he is loved. Superman I feel is far more hated and misunderstood than he is liked. More people are either neutral to him or dislike him. The ones that do like him are either more elderly who remember the old Superman television show and movies, or the people like me who have read the comics and love him for that. Which I feel is a small minority. Lastly, I don't think Iron man is the face of MARVEL as a whole. I'd say that he is the face of the cinematic universe, but not the entire Marvel brand that still goes to Spider-man in my opinion. Also can you give me some examples of movies that have been delayed of canceled due to Spider-man's presence? Also Spider-man does have more games and merchandise i can agree there, but it is much more toned down compared to Batman. I'm not trying to imply that Spider-man isn't overshadowing some of the Marvel characters, I'm stating that Marvel doesn't throw Spider-man at us as much as DC throws Batman at us. Besides the only recent (SOLO) Spider-man game that wasn't a movie licensed game was Spider-man: Edge of Time in 2011. While the most recent Batman (SOLO) game was Arkham Knight (2015). Also, you cannot say that DC has GIVEN their other characters a chance when the movies you have listed have NOT come out yet. All of these movies could be canceled entirely there is still no guarantee they will happen or even be good. my last two points are the fact that you still have no answered animated movies. Aquaman does not have a solo animated movie to my knowledge, Throne of Atlantis was not a Aquaman solo film, it was a Justice League film. the fact still stands that Batman has FAR more animated films than any other DC character, and DC just continues to add more to that pile.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 modernww2fare  Online

Yes, and this is coming from a Batman fan(not fanboy).

arkhamace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991

just wanted to say that superman can very easily have his own video game series

the problem with him is that there are now too much batman fans , who don't read one single superman comic or doesn't care much for him. They want to give him human enemys like in batman asylum or batman city... superman can have fight an occupied metropolis by apokolips enemys or these beasts from the action comics vol 5.

sidequests via virus helspont where you can search for the humans in metropolis with starfire like in superman vol 5... there is really much you can do. People just don't give him a damn or even try.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991: While I can appreciate the points you are trying to make there are some flaws. For instance, DC may not be able to directly force a character to be popular but they can influence it by giving a character more screen time or exposure than others. Also don't try to say I am simply focusing on Superman here just because I used him as an example, I used him because it makes for good comparisons and the fact that he has the highest amount of exposure than any other character besides Batman. I was illustrating how even the most exposed character from DC in terms of movies and comics and games still do not compare to Batman's exposure. Also the Superman game argument is sort of true, but I plan on being a video game developer in the future and one of my goals is to make a good Superman game, and the reason I think many people fail is because they approach it in the wrong way. But I don't want to give out my idea for a game just yet because I do plan of making it one day. Lastly I told kfabz-23 the same thing about Iron man vs Spider-man in terms of the "face" of Marvel. My statement was that I do believe Iron man is the face of Marvel's cinematic universe however, I think Spider-man is the face of the entire brand of Marvel. Finally, I don't think you are accurately giving each character a fair chance. You are saying Batman is the best character and has the best stories and best design and best supporting characters as if every other superhero cannot even compare. This is something I completely find false. Batman does have many great stories and characters, but he isn't the best. Other characters have great stories and characters, many of them outshining Batman in many ways. Batman is not the be all end all of good superheroes. He is great, but I do not think you can put Batman on this pedestal and say his characters and stories surpass every other character's.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: adding Batman to speed up the process of the universe became necessary because the comic book movie market will eventually become over saturated. And it's a smart move because they can fit Batman in the story naturally and Batman = Money

Mixed response for MOS isn't necessarily a bad thing because Batman v Superman will help build up on that and make MOS a better movie. I don't agree with Superman getting a sequel and every other league member getting a solo movie before the team up. WB/DC are gonna prove there is other ways you can do it.

There is no way a character who is hated more than he is liked would make 668 million in box office, there is just no way that would happen so I disagree with you on that.

Once Disney started working with Sony they delayed Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther & Captain Marvel. Even without those movies being guaranteed it still contradicts your statement because they still want to go ahead with these characters and how many DC characters who are not Batman have appeared in the CWverse alone? Wonder Woman has had her own animated movie and so has GL.

So you're gonna pretend that Throne of Atlantis was not based around Aquaman more than anyone else. And Batman has far more movies because again he is the face of DC. Only reason why you see so much Marvel characters is because their rights is all over the place. I just think this thread is badly timed because WB/DC clearly want to use more of their characters in the upcoming years.

I think it would've been more valid 3-5 years ago, because now it's like well you have all these TV shows like Arrow, Supergirl & Constantine as well as the new movie universe starting so WB/DC are attempting to sort out your concerns.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Its simply supply and demand. People want Batman DC gives people Batman.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: I see your point about Man of Steel not getting a sequel before the others but what about Iron man? He got two movies before Avengers but no one really disapproved. Additionally, Batman v Superman might as well be a sequel but Warner and Zack Snyder have said it is not even though it holds all the qualities of one. Further more I really don't think throwing Batman into the DCEU so early is really that necessary. He is coming off of a brilliantly done and well received trilogy already, he did not need to be thrown into a team up movie this early in the DCEU. Man of Steel deserved a proper solo sequel that addressed the problems of the first one while leading up to Justice League and not forcing Batman in it. Also I don't really know if you can state that Spider-man pushed MANY Marvel movies backwards due to Disney now working with Sony over him because that is very recent and those movies had late release dates already. Those movies pushed back aren't even filming yet, they are allowing Spider-man into the Marvel cinematic universe because it'll enrich the universe. Batman will enrich the DCEU of course, but I feel it could have been done later rather than sooner. Also, Throne of Atlantis was an Aquaman centered story but it was NOT a solo film. It was a Justice League film, it was directly based off of the second Justice League New 52 story arc. It is NOT an Aquaman solo film. Finally, I do enjoy that the television shows are venturing away from Batman on the CW. But Constantine got cancelled, Supergirl looks mediocre, and there is still Gotham which is based around Batman's origin. Arrow and Flash are amazing shows and Flash has become one of my favorite shows on television right now, but just because we have a few shows that overshadow Batman's show does not mean he does not overshadow characters in every other medium. The fact still stands that when the Wonder Woman film comes out and the Flash film, and all these other characters have their films come out they will still not be as recognized or exposed as Batman. Batman is one character with three movies, while Wonder Woman will be one character with one movie, Flash will have one movie, and so on. You are trying to put every other DC character into a group vs Batman. but you can't do that in my opinion. You have to put Batman vs (character) in these terms, not Batman vs (all DC characters combined).

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: The point is, maybe if DC gave more of something else besides Batman, maybe people might want more of that instead of constant truck loads of Batman.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: I think they've tried, but they couldnt really figure it out. They've tried making Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and Flash films but the projects fell through. When they do make other characters they are met with lukeworm response like with Green Lantern, Steel, Catwoman, Jonah Hex, Superman Returns, and Man of Steel. Yeah they those movies werent that great, but they still gave it a shot and Transformers films have made billions so you cant say bad films dont make money. I bet the only reason they decided to stick with Man of Steel was because they could put Batman in there because he is so successful. Im sure if they thought they're properties would do well they would give them a shot. Also other characters besides Batman have gotten video games like Aquaman, Superman, and Catwoman. The Wonder Woman film was such an innitial disapointment that they scrapped their plans for the sequel, a Batgirl Year One film, and hardly marketed the Supergirl aspect of Superman/Batman Apocalypse. They've also done two Green Lantern animated films. They've given some of these characters shots but they dont ever pan out.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I already stated many of these things that you pointed out, but the difference between Batman's movies and a movie like Superman Returns wasn't Batman and Superman as characters, it was the team behind the project. The Dark Knight games were direct by Christopher Noland who is known as one of the best directors today. Aldo Man of Steel didn't get full negative reviews, it was more split half and half compared to Green Lantern which was mostly negative. The animated films are one of the biggest points I have made and you cannot say that Green Lantern and his 2 movies got an equal chance compared to Batman and his 10 animated movies. Lastly, the video games while yes other characters have gotten some, Batman has gotten a trilogy of amazing games in the Arkham series, while Aquaman got one shot and failed, Superman constantly fails (although I blame those on the developers) and more. It isn't about Batman being successful I have a problem with. My problem is in my opinion they have forced so much content from him and put him in so many different things that they haven't given anyone else a chance to be successful. Marvel has given all of their characters a pretty fair chance compared to DC and Batman. It saddens me because I want these characters to get their shining light and respect they deserve, but they can't because DC won't get off a Batman train of money and learn that there is a market for these other characters.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: Well look at it from their perspective. You have a bunch of characters you have one that makes billions and is always a sure fire hit and a bunch of characters that you are unsure of. They are iconic, but they are also untested. They can either make millions or lose millions. You can either invest your resources in a guarranteed hit or some risky properties that are make or break which do you invest millions in making and millions in promoting? They should try them, but I completely understand why they dont.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: Also Superman Returns had freaking Bryan Singer directing and Nolan was an unknown when they had him incharge.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Well what about Marvel? I'm going to constantly use Marvel as a perfect example of how risks pay off because they have done it very well. Marvel gambled on Iron Man and it worked and became a hit, then they gambled on Hulk and it was less successful. But instead of just resorting back to Iron Man, they gambled again with Thor and it paid off, and so on. Marvel gambled since the beginning and continues to gamble with things such as Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and the future releases of Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel. DC is planning on gambling like this in the future, but as it stands they are sticking to the same bandwagon they have stuck to since 2005. Like I said before, this is extremely obvious to see when it comes to throwing Batman into Batman v Superman and especially prominent when you look at the animated films in which Batman has 10 SOLO films and appears as a side character in things like Justice League which all together totals for 20 Batman appearances in animated films. Also I will accept your Bryan Singer argument, I'll give you that one but you have to admit something went terribly wrong with the story and writing and even his powers.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton said:

@kfabz-23: I see your point about Man of Steel not getting a sequel before the others but what about Iron man? He got two movies before Avengers but no one really disapproved. Additionally, Batman v Superman might as well be a sequel but Warner and Zack Snyder have said it is not even though it holds all the qualities of one. Further more I really don't think throwing Batman into the DCEU so early is really that necessary. He is coming off of a brilliantly done and well received trilogy already, he did not need to be thrown into a team up movie this early in the DCEU. Man of Steel deserved a proper solo sequel that addressed the problems of the first one while leading up to Justice League and not forcing Batman in it. Also I don't really know if you can state that Spider-man pushed MANY Marvel movies backwards due to Disney now working with Sony over him because that is very recent and those movies had late release dates already. Those movies pushed back aren't even filming yet, they are allowing Spider-man into the Marvel cinematic universe because it'll enrich the universe. Batman will enrich the DCEU of course, but I feel it could have been done later rather than sooner. Also, Throne of Atlantis was an Aquaman centered story but it was NOT a solo film. It was a Justice League film, it was directly based off of the second Justice League New 52 story arc. It is NOT an Aquaman solo film. Finally, I do enjoy that the television shows are venturing away from Batman on the CW. But Constantine got cancelled, Supergirl looks mediocre, and there is still Gotham which is based around Batman's origin. Arrow and Flash are amazing shows and Flash has become one of my favorite shows on television right now, but just because we have a few shows that overshadow Batman's show does not mean he does not overshadow characters in every other medium. The fact still stands that when the Wonder Woman film comes out and the Flash film, and all these other characters have their films come out they will still not be as recognized or exposed as Batman. Batman is one character with three movies, while Wonder Woman will be one character with one movie, Flash will have one movie, and so on. You are trying to put every other DC character into a group vs Batman. but you can't do that in my opinion. You have to put Batman vs (character) in these terms, not Batman vs (all DC characters combined).

Batman only gets fan favorited just because of the actors who have played him George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Michael Keaton, Adam West , all those actors portrayed him the best ways, and people love them , and he doesn't rely on action 24/7 with powers

Superman has been portrayed by some bad people recently, the guy who plays Atom on Arrow for god sakes played superman , Henry Cavill is the best superman we have got in years

Everytime DC tries giving someone a time to shine it fails just because the actors are terrible, Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan? ,Halle Berry as Catwoman? Shaq as god dam Steel dude , a good actor can make a horrible movie look somewhat decent , look at all the Wolverine movies they all SUCK, but Hugh Jackman makes them look somewhat decent

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: You are focusing too much on the movies themselves, my topic spreads far beyond that. Batman gets over exposure in comics, animated movies, video games, and more. So I don't exactly agree that his over exposure and popularity stems purely from the fact that he was played by well known actors.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: Yes, but Marvel had to gamble. Even with selling their film rights they were still in finnacial troubles so they had to risk it. WB has been a succesful film company that never had to risk it until now. They are now the ones forced to be risky with their characters because they need franchises because those are the films that are safe now and they have to invest in these characters in order to have box office power, but before now they never had to. Now they want to use Batman to help secure this cinematic universe. Yes they should have made films for those characters but they didnt have to so they didnt. They are a buissness and you have to be smart with your investments so they will use Batman to help sell these other characters.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: Is Superman really THAT hard of a character to sell? Is Flash really that hard to sell? I'm not exactly talking about just the live action movies here. I'm talking about EVERYTHING. Say what you will about Warner Brothers live action movie decisions, but it doesn't erase everything else like animated movies and comics themselves.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: Ironman had a sequel that had near to zero importance apart from introducing Black Widow, a Man Of Steel sequel would've feel like a filler at this point. It's a shared universe they have all the time in the world to make a MOS sequel.

Batman was necessary from a business perspective, the fact that his addition could work narratively is only a bonus as well.

Even though the movies have not filmed yet it doesn't change the fact that Spider-Man's comeback got them moved back, despite Thor Ragnarok being a crucial part of developing the MCU.

Yes Constantine got cancelled but that is beside the point because the original point you was making was that WB/DC aren't giving other characters a chance but the fact that Constantine was made contradicts your point. You may think Supergirl looks mediocre but the response it got from it's target audience proves otherwise.

Reading your post you have changed from DC not giving other characters a chance to Batman getting more appearances compared to everyone else and of course he is, he's the face of the company.

Let's look at these examples.

FOX/Marvel

- Wolverine has appeared in X-Men, X-2, X-Men Last Stand, X-Men First Class(Cameo), X-Men Days of Future Past, Wolverine Origins & The Wolverine Very Dominant - Wolverine & the X-Men, & X-Men Tas

MCU

- Ironman/Stark has appeared in Ironman, Ironman 2, Ironman 3, Incredible Hulk, Avengers, Age Of Ultron and soon to be Civil War. Animated - Iron Man, Ironman and Hulk heroes united, adventures of Ironman(I think that's the title), Ironman and Captain America Heroes United. - Very Dominant.

Spiderman has appered in Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man & The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and soon to be Civil War. Spider-Man Tas, Ultimate Spider-Man & Spectacular Spider-Man

There will always be someone who is more dominant than the rest, in DC it just happens to be Batman.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: Well there are people that complain that Superman is too powerful, he is too boring, and he is too dated. With the Flash what do people know about him? That he is fast. They dont know his villains or really anything about him.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton:

@smashton said:

@birdman400: You are focusing too much on the movies themselves, my topic spreads far beyond that. Batman gets over exposure in comics, animated movies, video games, and more. So I don't exactly agree that his over exposure and popularity stems purely from the fact that he was played by well known actors.

before Hugh Jackman wolverine was barely known , a good actor can get people be interested in character ,Christian Bale is the only reason I started reading DC comics cause he played the role to good it made me interested , BB, TDN, and TDNR were the best superhero movies in the last 15 years and I wanted to learn more about Batman and DC universe itself , the movie becoming popular opens doors for more exposure in video games ( Arkham series is the best superhero game series since SpiderMan) , Animated Movies (his storyline is just that entertaining) , and his comics are amazing

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: I don't think you are understanding my point about Batman. I am NOT saying he is dominant because he gets appearances in things like team ups, I don't wanna count those. I'm trying to stick to the SOLO appearances. In which Batman STILL dominates in the biggest way possible. If we stick to this than your Wolverine argument shrinks down to two live action movies. When it comes to Iron Man it shrinks it to 3 live action movies. Spider-man becomes 5 live action movies. Now when it comes to animated films Batman leads with 10 SOLO films and 5 animated television shows. Wolverine doesn't have any SOLO animated films or shows. Iron Man has had only 2 animated films and 2 animated shows. Finally Spider-man has had 0 animated films and 8 animated SOLO shows. So you can see Batman dominated ALL of those characters in every aspect of animation with the exception of Spider-man in television shows.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: These are all things that can be changed in the public opinion's eyes. If you have read any comics on the Flash or Superman then you would know they are much more than just fast and powerful. They have real depth and story lines that work really well. In fact I really appreciate what the Flash television show is doing with that character. I just think it needs to happen with more characters.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A Superman game would be awesome, but i would rather have a Justice League Game.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: I was going by the OP, you stated that DC weren't giving anyone else a chance but it's proven to be otherwise. If you wanna just list animated movies then I can agree with you. Apart from that they're clearly making progress.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Making progress is a lot different than having that progress done. My opinion that Batman gets too much popularity still stands until those movies come out. And even then who knows what might happen, maybe they will throw Batman into Shazam too just like they have with Superman. Sounds dumb I know but it is just an example. When it comes to live action movies, sure DC is making progress, in television a little bit less progress but still progress. In video games there is little progress, animation there is little progress, and in comics, there is still a huge Batman presence compared to the others. The fact that they are making progress in one medium does not eliminate the other mediums lack of progress.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: There is a difference between a good movie opening doors to new people, and being over done. Batman had those doors opened since 2005's Batman Begins. DC doesn't need to break the doors hinges and leave the other character's doors closed if you get what I mean. It's less about opening one door and more about opening EVERYONE's doors.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton: remember TDN and THDR camout around the release of new 52 , Batman really never changes during that time , but people like Wonder Woman, Cyborg ,Flash,Shazam,Aquaman, even Superman changed heavily , it takes years to produce a movie for those characters , notice how now they've all gotten movies cause their storylines are finally established , batman is supposed to make 4 main appearances in the nest 5 years, So is superman and Wonder woman gets 4 , then Cyborg gets 3 and Aquaman gets 3 , they are not trying to catch every character up now

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darkdetective27

@smashton: They have been trying to do that for years though. There are all sorts of projects that they almost did, but they just didnt gain enough traction. Hell Superman Lives was days before being filmed, but they balked at the chance because it was such a risk. I think they are being safe with their universe and it makes sense. I think we should wait and see how it turns out, but I dont think they should be using less Batman because Batman works for the general public.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Smashton

@birdman400: Movies, video games, and animated shows don't HAVE to follow DC's continuity. If anything it is better for them NOT to follow it. But like I have been saying to the other users on this thread, it isn't about all the DC characters COMBINED vs Batman. It has to be about Batman vs ONE DC character. They all should be relatively equal but they aren't and due to Batman's over saturation of solo films and movies, no character will ever catch up with him. Remember I am talking about more than live action films, I'm talking about ALL mediums.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: That is just giving into the corporate money scheme. The companies need to take risks because the characters deserve it, and maybe if they were to take some GOOD risks, it would pay off even more. It is proven that they HAVE and CAN have success with other characters like The Flash television show, and the Superman movies from 1978, and even Man of Steel. But they still resort back to Batman, is it because he makes money? Yes. does that make it okay and we should all just bow down to it and let them shove more Batman down our throats and we just throw money at them? No we shouldn't, we need to hold DC to a higher standard than that.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't agree. I don't think you can give popularity. If a character is popular you/WB/DC can promote them more making them even more popular and lucrative. If a character is not popular or lets say not as popular say like Flash ,Wonder Woman Aquaman having several different titles,there own animated video,animated TV series, live action movie it may prove lucrative but never on a Batman level. They are just promoting because he is there guaranteed cash cow.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991

just wanted to say that superman can very easily have his own video game series

the problem with him is that there are now too much batman fans , who don't read one single superman comic or doesn't care much for him. They want to give him human enemys like in batman asylum or batman city... superman can have fight an occupied metropolis by apokolips enemys or these beasts from the action comics vol 5.

sidequests via virus helspont where you can search for the humans in metropolis with starfire like in superman vol 5... there is really much you can do. People just don't give him a damn or even try.

Care to explain how the fact that there are too many Batman fans has any bearing or effect on Superman ? From the get go you're trying to blame the failure of Superman in video games on Batman, for no logical reason. The target audience of a Superman game would logically be Superman fans, not Batman fans, so whatever Batman games did has no relation to any hypothetical Superman game in the future. If you're trying to say that developers try to emulate the success of the Batman games by copying them, which results in bad Superman games, then I can see where you're coming from. However, Batman games only started to become a success after the release of Arkham Asylum, which was back in 2009. Since then no new Superman game was released, so I'm not sure from where you got your observation.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daingermouz20: You said it yourself just now, the fact that they do so many Batman related things and less of everyone else just further pushes Batman ahead and leaves everyone out in the dust. I do not think that Batman is popular purely on DC's part, but DC surely doesn't give any one as much of a fair shake. Like I stated before Batman has 10 animated SOLO films, the only one who comes close is Superman with 4 animated SOLO films. That is a HUGE gap and you can't say that this gap doesn't give Batman a MUCH larger advantage.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashton said:

@enzo991: While I can appreciate the points you are trying to make there are some flaws. For instance, DC may not be able to directly force a character to be popular but they can influence it by giving a character more screen time or exposure than others. Also don't try to say I am simply focusing on Superman here just because I used him as an example, I used him because it makes for good comparisons and the fact that he has the highest amount of exposure than any other character besides Batman. I was illustrating how even the most exposed character from DC in terms of movies and comics and games still do not compare to Batman's exposure

Again I think that you got it backward. Batman didn't become popular because DC gave him more attention. DC gave the Batman franchise more attention and exposure because they saw it was the most popular of their franchises. You can't blame them for that, and DC don't awe it to the other characters to give them the same exposure as Batman if they didn't bring in the same amount of profit, and people weren't interested in them.

@smashton said:

@enzo991: Also the Superman game argument is sort of true, but I plan on being a video game developer in the future and one of my goals is to make a good Superman game, and the reason I think many people fail is because they approach it in the wrong way. But I don't want to give out my idea for a game just yet because I do plan of making it one day.

Well when the day comes, I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, especially by a fellow comic fan on the site. However for now, I can't think of a way to make an interesting Superman game on the same level as the Arkham games, and even if I could, I don't think I'd have anything more to add to the sequel if one was to be made.

@smashton said:

@enzo991:Finally, I don't think you are accurately giving each character a fair chance. You are saying Batman is the best character and has the best stories and best design and best supporting characters as if every other superhero cannot even compare. This is something I completely find false. Batman does have many great stories and characters, but he isn't the best. Other characters have great stories and characters, many of them outshining Batman in many ways. Batman is not the be all end all of good superheroes. He is great, but I do not think you can put Batman on this pedestal and say his characters and stories surpass every other character's.

I never commented or gave my opinion on Batman's quality as a character or as a franchise. All I said is that the Batman franchise simply has much more "potential" compared to any other DC franchise, because of the Batman character, and the universe itself and how expensive it is. You say DC is giving a lot of attention to Batman, and I pointed out that the nature of the Batman universe lends itself very well to many kind of media, and many kind of stories, which makes making new Batman movies and games much easier, and more justifiable.

Which character is "the best" is completely subjective, however for DC all that matters is the numbers, which means that the property that brings them the most amount of profit is the one that will receive the most attention. Even then, as others have pointed out, while Batman is undeniably the most exposed DC character, that doesn't mean DC are not giving a lot of attention to other characters.

Just look at the planned movies for the DCEU, not even a single Batman movie is among them. Not to mention the many Justice League games that have bean released in the past few years (with little success sadly, save for DCU Online). DC are pushing for a lot of the other characters like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Cyborg, but the fact remains that Batman is their most popular property, and they will make use of that.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By darkdetective27

@smashton: And what if the films bomb or arent popular? They have just lost a chunk of the money to make the film and the money to promote the film. The company has just lost millions. The millions used to pay to make comics and merchandise and then they will go back to Batman and never consider using these characters again. There have been all sorts of characters that they have tried to get made from Wonder Woman to Aquaman to Lobo to even Deadman, but all these projects lost traction either because they werent good enough or were too expensive or just too risky. They didnt get made, but its better than the alternative and them ending up like Steel or Green Lantern. They also have made risks in the past when they felt like it would work. They could take risks and they have in the past, but the characters of Marvel and DC are very different and much harder sells. If making Batman films and video games keeps the company making money then why not let them. Right now they are taking a huge gamble investing in a DCEU because that can go either way.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991: I really feel you are underestimating DC's influence in a characters popularity. A character doesn't become popular for no reason, a character has to be put into the spotlight or something similar to that in order to become popular, and that is were DC comes in. DC influences Batman's popularity by giving him increased exposure and leaving other characters with less. You cannot say that someone like the Flash has had the same chance to become popular as Batman because they both are good characters. That isn't how it works, you need a good character to be popular yes, but if that character has no content outside of comics, then that character will not become as popular as another that does. In this example the Flash has a total of 2 television shows, 0 animated films, 0 animated shows, and finally 0 live action films (The Flash movie planned is not out yet and cannot be depended upon) compared to Batman's 2 television shows, 10 animated films SOLO, 5 animated shows SOLO, and 3 live action films SOLO. It is not the same exposure and this is how DC influences Batman's popularity. Also I really don't want to talk about the game idea I have working strictly for the fact that I don't want this idea swimming around the internet and be stolen and created before I can create it in my own artistic vision. Batman's universe being better adaptable to other forms of media is very subjective as well. We have seen many ways in which wacky and obscure ideas and universes can be done very well in different forms of media such as Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-man, Flashpoint Paradox, and more. Batman may be EASIER especially given his already over saturated exposure in other mediums, but I don't think easy always equal best. Finally, we cannot say that all of the planned movies for DCEU equal Batman's exposure. Firstly, there have already been talks and rumors of a Batman trilogy starring Ben Affleck and I can see that happening. Secondly, these movies haven't come out yet so we cannot say they are for sure going to add to a characters exposure due to the possibility of them being cancelled. Lastly, we cannot put together all of the DC characters exposure vs Batman and call it equal. you have to compare Batman's exposure to a single character such as Wonder Woman. How is it fair to put Batman's exposure vs all DC characters exposure and say that all the characters are now equal? In the end Batman will still have 3 solo movies and Wonder Woman will have 1. It is not equal.

Smashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: So you are trying to say that because projects fail they should just give up on everything and shove Batman down our throats more and more? Is it acceptable to let a corporation just shove the same Batman related things down your throat and ignore everything else just because they get to make money? That is the wrong mindset. There are reasons why those certain movies failed, Steel's lead actor was Shaq. That was DOOMED to fail, Superman Lives was going to be acted by Nicolas Cage, that was doomed to fail even if Nicolas Cage is a huge Superman fan. Allowing a company to ignore it's other properties and simply continue to push the same thing out all the time is NOT good for the industry and will only continue to undermine the other great characters DC has to offer. Saying it is all alright because the business gets money does NOT answer my original thread subject. The subject was, is DC giving Batman too much popularity and making the other characters suffer because of it. And the answer is yes, it doesn't matter if it is because big corporations wanna take the money out of your pocket, it doesn't matter if Batman is a sure fire money maker, that DOESN'T make it all of a sudden alright and make it so we should accept it and just let them ignore everyone else.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.