Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Dark Days are upon us

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

DC Comics is ready to launch a massive event this summer called Dark Days written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV, with art by Andy Kubert, Jim Lee, and John Romita Jr.

Spearheaded by Snyder, these new stories will reveal the dark underbelly of the DC Universe. The mysteries of DARK DAYS: THE FORGE #1 and DARK DAYS: THE CASTING #1 will hit shelves on June 14 and July 12, respectively, and break new ground in DC’s publishing line.

“Art like this demands an epic story,” says Snyder. “DARK DAYS posits a mystery that traces all the way back to when I started on BATMAN. I’ve hinted at them over the years with Easter eggs and clues. This is a mystery that literally begins at the dawn of man and spans generations of heroes and villains and ultimately leads to huge revelations about the past, present and future of the cosmology of DC. I couldn’t be more excited for DARK DAYS. It’s the prelude to the event we’ve been developing for years.”

“We’re taking all the ethos and excitement of the work Scott and I have been doing in the Batman titles and unleashing it across the entire DC Universe,” adds Tynion IV. “The size and scope of what we’re looking to do with DARK DAYS could only be accomplished by the best of the best. Andy, Jim and John are legends. All of us on this project are pushing one another, and every concept, to the extreme.”

The final words, “to the extreme” is a bit concerning, but I guess when it comes to Batman, anything and everything can go to the extreme. I will say the idea that Snyder has been setting us up for this event for the last three or four years is intriguing, and I hope it plays out for the better.

Source

Snyder and Tynion, does anyone remember Eternal books? remember Harper Row? remember 76 issues of mostly filler? now get ready for more with Duke in the lead instead.

Dark Days indeed folks, Dark Days indeed and this is just the prelude for another event he's writing with Capullo. DC seems pretty content in completely wrecking Batman at this point. Even a Bat fan like myself thinks this is a complete overload, wont bother and this non sense it going to hurt the Batman line in the long run.

Thoughts?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Black_Arrow

Most of the hints probably exist in the Futuristics stories that have been appearing in the Batman titles that Scott has written along the years.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is the exciting Bat event that Snyder's been building up to ? Meh, seems OK. I know this might sound surprising coming from me, but I'm not actually all that worried about this. This event couldn't be any worse than the bottom of the barrel stuff we are getting right now from Tom King and his Batman book, so what's the worst that could happen ? I completely agree that DC stopped giving a crap about Batman a very long time ago, and their current way of handling the Bat books only attests to that fact, but since Snyder seems to have so much control over every Batman book, this event might end up being decent, given Snyder's overall decent track record, and the fact that he at least care for Batman himself as a character.

As sad as it might be, Snyder is probably the best among the current Bat writers, at least when it comes to the writers directly handling Batman. Tynion is really just filler, but thank god his mediocrity can at least blend into the background, and Snyder is most definitely going to be the one doing the plotting anyway, so he is pretty inconsequential. Thank god Tom King won't be anywhere near this, that's probably the best part about this event. With Andy Kubert and Jim Lee on art duties, the book will at least look pretty, so there is that. having both Lee and Kubert is actually pretty surprising, as it means DC is really banking on this event, despite the obvious lack of interest in actually maintaining the quality of the Bat books. So all in all, at best it could be a decent event, and at worst it can't be any crappier than what we got now, so I'm not awfully worried, but not that interested either.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

@enzo991 said:

So this is the exciting Bat event that Snyder's been building up to ? Meh, seems OK. I know this might sound surprising coming from me, but I'm not actually all that worried about this. This event couldn't be any worse than the bottom of the barrel stuff we are getting right now from Tom King and his Batman book, so what's the worst that could happen ? I completely agree that DC stopped giving a crap about Batman a very long time ago, and their current way of handling the Bat books only attests to that fact, but since Snyder seems to have so much control over every Batman book, this event might end up being decent, given Snyder's overall decent track record, and the fact that he at least care for Batman himself as a character.

As sad as it might be, Snyder is probably the best among the current Bat writers, at least when it comes to the writers directly handling Batman. Tynion is really just filler, but thank god his mediocrity can at least blend into the background, and Snyder is most definitely going to be the one doing the plotting anyway, so he is pretty inconsequential. Thank god Tom King won't be anywhere near this, that's probably the best part about this event. With Andy Kubert and Jim Lee on art duties, the book will at least look pretty, so there is that. having both Lee and Kubert is actually pretty surprising, as it means DC is really banking on this event, despite the obvious lack of interest in actually maintaining the quality of the Bat books. So all in all, at best it could be a decent event, and at worst it can't be any crappier than what we got now, so I'm not awfully worried, but not that interested either.

Unfortunately I feel Snyder is the real disease here.

He has a Batbook

His stooge has a Bat book

His other stooge has Batwoman

He and his stooge are working on a Bat event, their previous track record with events is well documented

He's got his hands all over Orlando's Batman/Shadow crossover

He's made King his lackey as well

How the hell did this happen? this is just pathetic to say the least. The entire purpose of having multiple books is creative diversity and variety. Back when Morrison was incharge we still had Paul Dini first on Tec and then Streets of Gotham. Then we had Rucka and Snyder on Tec, Finch on TDK but here its just one guy and worse of all this is Batman. I can understand Johns being possessive of GL/Flash but does DC really believe that Batman is nothing without Snyder?

also DC has released the solicit for the issue, it revolves around a secret Batman has kept, GROAN. Typical Snyderissm and Tynionism.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I totally agree. Snyder's continued existence and interference in the Bat books will have long term problems and cause major damage to the Batman character if things kept on going like they are now. However, I was looking at how things currently are, and out of all the current Bat writers, the fact remains that Snyder has the best chance of turning in anything remotely good. Had this been any different time period I would've been very worried about this Snyder event, but since the two main Batman books are in a worst shape then they've ever been, I don't see Snyder doing anything worse at this point. It's all relative, but I'm still hoping that this Snyder empire falls at some point and take all the Snyder hacks with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.