Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Burtons Batman is arguably more WORSE than Schumacher.

• 96 results
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By entropy_aegis

I have noticed people bragging about how Burton's Batman was all kinds of awesome whereas Nolans Batman sucks because of his realistic portrayal.Now i'm not a fan of realism,and i do believe Batman is'nt as effective under Nolan as he should be,but i see nothing "watered down" about the villians,did we really need a lazarus pit in Batman Begins? and while the joker gas would have been a nice touch let's be honest neither would have added to the plot.

Now lets get down to Burton's flaws which people tend to overlook in their nostalgia;

His characters were'nt characters,they were robots.Take a look at the people of Gotham,they decided to elect Penguin after he saved a baby from a kidnapper(who was hired by him,and was'nt ever captured),these very people flocked to the streets when Joker promised them some free cash,they forgot the fact that this same man poisoned all their cosmetic items and murdered another man in public in broad daylight.The authorities were absent from the parade and only showed up after/around Joker's demise,these people deserved to be killed.

Then there's Burton's Joker who's greatest ambition in life was to have sex with Vicki Vale,facepalm,Selina Kyle was you average assistant who falls a dozen stories fall and then overnight transforms in to brilliant acrobat and a capable fighter,Selina's motivation was...go figure.Then there's Keaton's awesome(supposedly) Batman who just sits in his cave doing nothing untill the police flash the signal,this Batman decided to kill Joker after he found out that the Joker killed his parents and even punched him off a building,he also attached a bomb to another wrestler type brute,but later he was giving lessons in morality to Selina Kyle when she wanted to kill Max Shreck,who funnily was the REAL villian of Batman Returns and arguably the only multidimensional character,Gordon and Alfred might as well not exist and no one would miss them.Keatons fighting style was also mostly laughable to me,everytime he struck someone it looked like a rubber doll hitting another doll.Batman also had no character in him to boot,Penguin,Schreck and even Selina were more likable then Bruce Wayne.

Now Schumacher did get somethings right,his Batman was'nt an emotionless shell.Take a look at his relationships with both Alfred and Dick Grayson,i find it amusing how people complain about Robin when he was arguably the most realistic character in the entire franchise.Riddler,Freeze and Ivy were fairly good as well,i'll take them over Joker,Penguin and Catwoman.Two-face and Bane were raped no doubt.

Really the only thing Burton has going for him over Schumacher is the set design/atmosphere,and sadly people use this as a pretext for claiming that Burton's portrayals were close to the comic, but really when did you ever see Joker having a fetish for Vale? Catwoman was actually trained by Arm less master and WildCat,unlike Burton's version who became what she is in under a few minutes,and i most certainly don't recall Oswald Cobblepot finding an army of killer Penguins in the sewers.

Share your opinions folks.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

I agree burtons movies weren't the best catwoman was messed (she died and cats resurrected her) and other things were messed up too but schumacher is worse. was the riddler schumacher's fault or burtons because he was messed up too.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Sorry, but Shumacher lost me the moment he put Arnold in a lab coat and expected me to take it seriously.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Shadow_Thief said:

Sorry, but Shumacher lost me the moment he put Arnold in a lab coat and expected me to take it seriously.

@Loki9876 said:

I agree burtons movies weren't the best catwoman was messed (she died and cats resurrected her) and other things were messed up too but schumacher is worse. was the riddler schumacher's fault or burtons because he was messed up too.

But Joel was better at handling personalities and relationships,really just remove Bane and Two-face and i think the movies become much better.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

Or maybe i just love Nicole Kidman(my first crush).

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kashif1

nah, Burton's movies are a bit too cold but Shumacher took it to far in the opposite direction. Also Batcriditcard

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@kashif1 said:

nah, Burton's movies are a bit too cold but Shumacher took it to far in the opposite direction. Also Batcriditcard

LOL.

Zuif Basi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zuif Basi

I didnt really like any of them. I thought that the first one with Keaton was alright. I didnt like the Joker being the one that killed Bruce's parents. I absolutely hated the 2nd one. Walken was amazing as always. I cant stand Jim Carey so I saw bits of the 3rd one. I hated Two Face in it. I didnt mind the 4th one as much as most people do. I thought that Arnold actually did a good job with his limitted abilities. Plus Jesse Ventura was in it. Bane was horrible. But as Entropy has mentioned Robin was good. As for the Nolan movies I liked the first half of the first one. The second one was to long. It should have been titled The Joker. I fealt that Batman was an afterthought in it. Take out the scene where he breaks into the corporate headquarters building and he doesnt do a whole lot. Unless I forgot something.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kashif1

@Zuif Basi said:

I didnt really like any of them. I thought that the first one with Keaton was alright. I didnt like the Joker being the one that killed Bruce's parents. I absolutely hated the 2nd one. Walken was amazing as always. I cant stand Jim Carey so I saw bits of the 3rd one. I hated Two Face in it. I didnt mind the 4th one as much as most people do. I thought that Arnold actually did a good job with his limitted abilities. Plus Jesse Ventura was in it. Bane was horrible. But as Entropy has mentioned Robin was good. As for the Nolan movies I liked the first half of the first one. The second one was to long. It should have been titled The Joker. I fealt that Batman was an afterthought in it. Take out the scene where he breaks into the corporate headquarters building and he doesnt do a whole lot. Unless I forgot something.

A car chase an the action scene near the end inside that abandoned building. Plus he kept the police informed and interogated the Joker. He does a lot its just that Joker does more.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Although I will never give  Shumacher any type of complament I tend to agree that Burton's films where a load of crap as well

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle

Although I think every Batman movie has its credible parts and ridiculous parts (except for B&R...that was just bad), I do respect Burton for giving Gotham City a great setting/set design , Even Batman Forever had its good parts

I have yet to think there is a penultimate Batman movie in terms of adapting the character perfectly.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cosmo111687

@cattlebattle said:

Although I think every Batman movie has its credible parts and ridiculous parts (except for B&R...that was just bad), I do respect Burton for giving Gotham City a great setting/set design , Even Batman Forever had its good parts I have yet to think there is a penultimate Batman movie in terms of adapting the character perfectly.

Pretty much this. Also Burton gets points for bringing in Danny Elfman to do the score.

Zomboid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Zomboid

I disagree. Burton's Batman was the first dark Batman film, and he definitely did good there. Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker was amazing and a classic portrayal. Michael Keaton, while I wouldn't say his performance was amazing, still did very good as Batman as well. Most of all though I think Burton's film should be given credit for being the first media to really introduce the mass general audience to the darker and more serious style of Batman.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By RainEffect
    @entropy_aegis: Must ... resist ... Grammar Nazi ...

Morseworsedoesn'tmakesenseyou'dbebetterofftakingoutthemore!!!

No Caption Provided
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

Can't we agree they both sucked? And quite hard I might add?

Avatar image for deactivated-649a95712285a
    deactivated-649a95712285a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Knight is my favorite superhero movie by far. Love every second of it. Yes, the old ones did suck. All of them.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Zomboid said:

I disagree. Burton's Batman was the first dark Batman film, and he definitely did good there. Jack Nicholson's performance as the Joker was amazing and a classic portrayal. Michael Keaton, while I wouldn't say his performance was amazing, still did very good as Batman as well. Most of all though I think Burton's film should be given credit for being the first media to really introduce the mass general audience to the darker and more serious style of Batman.

Yeah i'll give it credit for that but Nicholson's Joker was an overweight moron.

@Gambit1024 said:

Can't we agree they both sucked? And quite hard I might add?

Agreed.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis: Which actor's portrayal of Bruce did you like the most?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jrock85 said:

@entropy_aegis: Which actor's portrayal of Bruce did you like the most?

Bale,even thought Kilmer was okay.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis: Bale was my favorite followed by Keaton.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By joshmightbe

Nolans Batman> Burtons Batman>Adam West Batman> Crazy dude from my home town who thinks he's Batman> Schumacher Batman

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#22  Edited By Trodorne
    @RainEffect: lol on the contrary something being worse would be like a wood bridge rots and collapses, while more worse could be a wood bridge incinerates and kills about 50 puppies and bunnies.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe

I'm sorry but I have to say, the title of this thread is grammatically horrifying.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By entropy_aegis

@joshmightbe said:

Nolans Batman> Burtons Batman>Adam West Batman> Crazy dude from my home town who thinks he's Batman> Schumacher Batman

Aww come on,Forever was'nt that bad.Kilmer had the best suit,the best fight scenes and the hottest girl.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe

@entropy_aegis: Ok Forever was equal to Adam West's version but Batman and Robin wasn't just the worst Batman movie its one of the worst movies ever made in general

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By the_tree

I think every Batman director has their faults. With that said, my favorite Batman movie is Burton's first.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Had Batman Forever used the atmosphere of Burton's films, it would have been the best of the older Bat-films.  

I like Batman Returns, that's the only one of the 89-90s Batman live-action films that I like, and that's mostly due to how the Penguin, who is and was a joke villain, was a completely terrifying mother****er. I could have done without the sex jokes though. 

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By entropy_aegis

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Had Batman Forever used the atmosphere of Burton's films, it would have been the best of the older Bat-films. I like Batman Returns, that's the only one of the 89-90s Batman live-action films that I like, and that's mostly due to how the Penguin, who is and was a joke villain, was a completely terrifying mother****er. I could have done without the sex jokes though.

Yeah and they should've cancelled out Two-face too..

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29  Edited By Aiden Cross

@entropy_aegis said:

@joshmightbe said:

Aww come on,Forever was'nt that bad.Kilmer had the best suit,the best fight scenes and the hottest girl.

Bat nipples?....

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Aiden Cross said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@joshmightbe said:

Bat nipples?....

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Looks fine to me,you're thinking of Clooney. 
    Looks fine to me,you're thinking of Clooney. 
    Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Love the Burton ones as much as the Nolan ones, Forever? Yeah it's good. If you view Batman and Robin as a cinematic interpretation of the 60's series (and nothing more) it becomes slightly more watchable.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By RainEffect
    @entropy_aegis said:

@joshmightbe said:

Agreed. I really dug the last suit he pulled out to go take on Two-Face and Riddler. The sonar-equipped one. Plus, Val had the most believable Batman voice. It's how I always imagined Batman to talk.
    Albeit, Bale's Batman Begins voice wasn't half bad. He just went over the top in The Dark Knight.
    firesnake1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By firesnake1

The tone and attention of the Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan films are all much different from one another. I think that makes it difficult to choose which is the worst or even the best. And don't forget that there's the whole Adam West Batman movie out there. Burton's movie was more cerebral, dealt with the detective aspects ... which greatly appealed to me. Schumacher's version was too much like the Adam West Batman, way too much camp, just Batman for the sake of marketing. Nolan's Batman gives a more action-oriented character, we get to see his cunning and inventiveness. I think Schumacher killed the Batman franchise in the 90s. I can't decide between Burton and Nolan ... they both show characteristics I love in the character.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By daredevil21134

I LOVE BATMAN FOREVER!!!!!

BATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BATPANEXE

everyone's entitled to their opinion, including the majority

" Suit me up Uncle Alfred! Tee-hee! " ^O^

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

BOTH were terrible.  

Except for the '89 Batman movie. That I liked. I actually think the people going out to get the money was a good portrayal of how greedy and stupid people can be. (In a sense)

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

@kashif1 said:

TheRedRobin96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheRedRobin96

I have not seen any one complain about Nolans version. Burtons version was kind of cool but after the 2nd it sucked and Schimacher is cool but it is the least of my favorites.....

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Bale has portrayed the best Bruce Wayne. Michael Keaton to date has portrayed the best Batman. Period.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40  Edited By owie  Moderator

I'd go for the Adam West show any day. One of the best TV shows ever. Although I can tell it's not getting a lot of love here. But it's just trying to do a different kind of thing than most comicbook shows.

I haven't seen any of the old Batman movies in years upon years, and I'm sure nostalgia plays a part in my memories of them. But I do think Burton gets tons of credit for what he did for trailblazing the superhero movie genre in the contemporary era. He did a great job with the sets, mood, music, and more important than anything, he took Batman seriously. His movies directly jump started a huge marketing campaign of comics in the mainstream, people immediately started wearing Batman t-shirts, it was a huge deal in terms of bringing comics into the mainstream culture. The outside world took the drama of comic book heroes seriously for the first time. Superman doesn't count--that was too clean and straight. Burton delved into the psychosis of what drives a hero to be a hero, and that was great.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

I liked Burton's. Sure, it wasn't really traditional Batman, but it was fun. Schumacher's was just painful to watch.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By WARLOCK2792
    @Shadow_Thief said:

LOL

Poison Ivy had some of the most ridiculous weave/wigs I've ever seen in a movie.  Remember the "horns"?
    muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By muhabba

I like the first Burton movie. I think of the 1st Burton like the X-Men movies. They are a version. You're not catching the movie X-Men in the comics. They brought a version of the X-Men to the screen, not just the comic character. I think Burton brought a very good version of Batman to the screens. The second Burton movie was just out there spiraling around. The next movies just lost the spirit and it is said that Schumacher was trying to bring back the campy spirit of the Batman TV show and they just didn't merge well with the darker tones Burton brought. The Nolen Batman movies are more about urban realism than the dark fantasy of Burton and then the lighter fantasy of Schumacher. It all just depends on the flavor you're interested in.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kashif1
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:

Bale has portrayed the best Bruce Wayne. Michael Keaton to date has portrayed the best Batman. Period.

your forgetting kevin conroy who did better at both
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#46  Edited By Dracade102
    @kashif1 said:
    @RedheadedAtrocitus said:

your forgetting kevin conroy who did better at both
    +10 internets for you.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DEGRAAF

I honestly believe Nolan's has been the best by far of all Batman movies and i would i still would love them even if the first one had a Lazarus pit and the second one had laughing gas or a flower that shoots acid.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@kashif1: Voicewise, sure, I'll accept that. But voice acting and actual physical acting are two different things in all honesty. Yes, when it comes to voice, Kevin Conroy is the most successful Batman actor to date. But that's akin to saying that Mark Hamill is the best Joker to date as well whereas people are mixed on just which physical actor portrayed the Clown Prince of Crime the best.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF said:

I honestly believe Nolan's has been the best by far of all Batman movies and i would i still would love them even if the first one had a Lazarus pit and the second one had laughing gas or a flower that shoots acid.

I don't remember a Lazarus Pit... o_O

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DEGRAAF

@.Mistress Redhead.: no they werent in there, i was say if he put them in there i would still think they were the best batman movies

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.