Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Brutally Honest: Is Catwoman In Nolan's Batman 3 Necessary?

Avatar image for xxsadisticsmilexx
    xxSadisticSmilexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Comicbookmovie.com.  Isn't this the same group that had a reliable source that the penguin was going to appear in the Dark Knight, as well as Harley Quinn making an appearance in the end?

Albo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Albo
    @rlmay3: Catwoman is too eccentric for the Nolanverse?  I'm not sure what you mean.  She is a lot more grounded than the Joker...
    A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By A-Strondinaire
    @fetusburgers:
    QFT  
    My sister loved DK but hated Begins because she couldn't understand hardly any of it. If Blackmask, Talia and any other B-List villian make it on sure it might be a fanboy masterpiece but you probably couldn't tell by the boxoffice because the ones that know nothing about the comic will dog it to all there other friends. 

They should just play it safe put in Catwoman and have it like Returns; where she was attracted to Bruce but not interested because of the life she chose and the roles that they play.
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I rather Poison Ivy. She's the best Batman character ever!

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want to see Talia Al Gul.
    Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Dro

How about Catwoman stays out and Talia is the main villain?

Seriously. I defy Hollywood to make a good male-lead movie without a love interest and with a female as the main villain. How many times has that happened?

EDIT: Although maybe I'm asking too much. Because maybe the general public wouldn't find that interesting or relatable.

Robb1157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Robb1157

Stana Katic is Catwoman.

Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108  Edited By Ravn

Am I just complete outta my mind, or didn't both Nolan and Bale say they wouldn't do another Batman film if they brought in Catwoman or Robin?  

Either way, whether it's Catwoman or Talia in this next film, knowing how Nolan likes to work with the same actors in multiple film, I'm sure he will pick Marion Cotillard, and I would be QUITE happy seeing her play either role! LOL

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Superguy1591

Catwoman is lame. She's only useful for sex. 

Jetblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Jetblaze
    @conformist21: 
    I second this opinion. I mean the way Dark Knight ended why lighten it up with the cliche "love interest" shenanigan? I like when Batman is a dark tale and I'd like to see this upcoming junior film of this series even darker. But they might be trying to avoid that so we'll see.
    thebeegle88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By thebeegle88

i dont' want to see talia, if it were catwoman i would just scratch my head, and pray for a miracle 

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Hellos

I say deport him.  
    He's taking super hero jobs from legal citizens born on this planet. 

Lawl
    Avatar image for jerrydelaghetto
    JerryDeLaGhetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By JerryDeLaGhetto

Poison Ivy would be the bomb diggity.

peregrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 56

#114  Edited By peregrine

I think Catwoman is necessary, she's an awesome character who is the perfect love interest fro Batman..and I think if they need a dark gritty character to fit in the Nolan-verse..an ex-prostitute who beat up her johns and steals from people is pretty gritty

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Hailinel

Catwoman would be the obvious choice, but I doubt that Nolan would go that route.

On the other hand, after the disaster that was the Catwoman movie, the character probably does deserve a better storyline.

(P.S.:  Why did they just drop Vicky Vale without explanation in Batman Returns?  No story explanation or anything, as far as I can remember.)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By danhimself

I don't know if she's necessary but I do think that out of Robin, Batgirl, Catwoman, or even Nightwing that Catwoman would be the easiest character to translate into Nolan's universe

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By PatVB

I have absolutely no interest in seeing catwoman in the next movie

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

well i thought it would be catwoman cause in the dark knight when bruce was asking Lucius would the new bat suit hold up against dogs, Lucius replied "it should do fine against cats" which kinda got me thinking "hmmm foreshadowing?"

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#119  Edited By ComicCrazy

I would rather see just the Riddler. I can't imagine how mindblowingly cool Chris Nolan's take on the Riddler would be.
    malovane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By malovane

We just lost the love interest in Dark Knight.  No need for a new one. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#121  Edited By jakob187

I didn't see any feasible argument whatsoever in your article that Catwoman shouldn't be in the third movie other than "it wouldn't be a good way to end the three-movie setup".  Regardless of whether the third movie will be Nolan's last Batman flick or not, Catwoman is an integral part of Bruce's history...more than even Talia in some ways (despite the whole "having a son" thing).  Moreover, there's a much bigger angle to work there, especially since the Falcone family is ALSO integrated into Nolan's world of Batman.  With Catwoman's possible association to the Falcone's, that is an easy character to bring in and tie into the world that Nolan has made.

Talia's history with Bruce does not necessarily coincide with much of anything found inside of Nolan's world.  For that matter, neither does The Riddler or Penguin or anything of the sort really.  Scarecrow was even a stretch at times.  R'as Al Ghul and Joker were probably the two best things that Nolan could do because they are both believable in some form of reality. 

While Talia would be a breath of fresh air when compared to Catwoman simply because we've never seen Talia on-screen, I think there's also a reason why we've never seen Talia on-screen.  Let's face it:  she's never been incredibly interesting until her and Bruce all of a sudden had a son together.  Before that, she was a B-lister...even C-lister at best.  Trying to turn her into an A-lister revolves around two solid notes:  her "relationship" with Bruce and the son they share.  Other than that, she's a sadistic psychopath...just like everyone else. 

On a side note, I still think the best route would be to bring in Two-Face for the grand finale.  He's already established, and I think it would be great to see that struggle that Harvey goes through in his early years.  He's such a troubled soul after the facial scarring, and it's something that can offer a powerful performance (of which I think Eckhart can deliver in spades).  It would also leave the film with a place for a flat-out conclusion...but it still leaves the future of Batman movies open.  The biggest reason I say Two-Face should be in there is because it would help Batman draw a clearer line of "who is the bad guy".  That's what I personally think the story of the third movie needs to be. 

Look at the themes that the first two films dealt with:  villainy through deception and villainy through anarchy.  The one area of villainy that hasn't been explored is villainy through uncertainty.  Two-Face, in his early years, was still struggling with the identity of Harvey Dent.  Granted, some of those pieces of the story are non-existant in Nolan's world:  Dent has no wife, and he has already "lost" his political position.  Regardless, Dent and Batman have some form of relationship before turning into Two-Face, and it would be interesting to see Batman struggle with that. 

As a bigger piece of story, Batman needs to fight the city of Gotham as a whole.  The way The Dark Knight ends basically says "Harvey Dent is dead (but we're not saying Two-Face is) and Gotham is on a manhunt for Batman".  There's an idea there of "how does a man fight crime when he's being hunted for fighting crime", and that's something that has always intrigued me about Batman as a whole. 

Just thoughts.  Sorry for taking up so much space here.

passionfruits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#122  Edited By passionfruits

Catwoman is a good character, but I see that Barbara Gordon would be a great addition to the movie. I mean she has a love interest with Batman, but he does not with her. And a backwards cameo of the Joker shooting her and paralyzing her would really add some depth. Barbara Gordon!

CJV0729

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By CJV0729

Catwoman? Who's that? >.> I would love to see The Riddler Christopher Nolanized, however!

Shipwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Shipwreck

Personally, I like the fact that Nolan is putting in characters that never before seen in the movies. Two-face and Joker are big names and are keyed into Bruce more personally, but i would rather see someone not featured before. Selina is in everything. She awesome. Don't get me wrong but she's considerably sane when you compare her to the others. Let the comic world drool. Baby Face, Lady Shiva, the Mad Hatter. Give us someone that will shock us when we see the ad. Catwoman is a tad to predictable.  I would really like to see the Mad Hatter Nolanized. He has a lot of possibilities that can be tied in with the welfare of children. He can also be the gateway for Batgirl.

A-Strondinaire 
    I think Nolan has the talent not to play it safe. With him we know we are not going to get the batman equivalent to the Last stand.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125  Edited By jefprice

Well if you check out the commentary (I think that's what it is) on the films you'll find they used Frank Miller's version of Batman for the main influence, while trying to show a bit of some of the other greats shining through.  

In any case though it's important for everyone to remember this 3rd film according to DC isn't in any way the end of the franchise, in fact according to Nolan he's not even sure it'll be his last film. He said he's just not sure if he is the right person, or if he's willing to spend the time on a 4th. But he's said over and over that no matter what he did with Batman he wanted to make sure it could be built upon and wouldn't need the reboots required after B&R.  

It also is a big thing to remember that it's been said that Selina Kyle, not Catwoman may show up. Gorden didn't start out as the Commissioner, and Harvey wasn't meant to turn into Two Face till the 3rd film, but The Dark Knight ended up not being a two parter as Nolan originally wanted.  

Nolan has already said if he did Batman 3 he wouldn't compromise this time like he had to with the Dark Knight. I'd wager that all of us Batfans will be happy.

jefprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By jefprice

Of course then again, Nolan also said that he wasn't fond of the idea of robin being done the way he had been in the past, that he didn;t think it would work... and everyone took that to mean he meant no Robin EVER. When he really just said he wasn't sure he liked the idea.

sambalam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By sambalam

Catwoman. Hands down. She's more interesting, more compelling, and she and Bruce have a beautiful connection. Talia would just weigh everything down with "Daddy issues," but Selina could bring a lightness to the film. She's more about the chase and she loves it when Batman chases her!

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Mumbles

no catwomen please

Avatar image for marrymenightwing_3
    marrymenightwing<3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that introducing Talia would be really cool. I don't really like Nolan's idea of Batman. I don't like the costume or Christian Bale's additude towards the franchise (I'm quitting if they introduce robin? what's that all about?) Regardless of how I feel about Nolanverse I would really like to see a live action Talia.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#130  Edited By Gambit1024

I never thought of Talia. That would actually make a lot more sense. 

Avatar image for lovingdamnation
    Lovingdamnation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#131  Edited By Lovingdamnation

I think that Catwoman would be great but  Talia = great opportunities for epic desert shots, resolution within the trilogy, and a chance for a new story to be told (onscreen). Catwoman has been a sturdy staple for batman since the Adam West days. Non-Comic people have no idea who or what Ra's Daughter is, and I think they would be blown away by her.

Avatar image for goldenknightsky
    GoldenKnightSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By GoldenKnightSky

I think It would be a good Idea to have have Catwoman in it, because Batman would have someone just like him in the movie. But it might not happen another film wont make the true fans happy, just the people who just know bout Batman cause true fan always complains bout something. But Nolan is one of the best directors in the generation, so Goodluck.

SnottyCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By SnottyCane

seriously if they have her in the film  dont give her a major part only brief scenes as selina klye (help gramma nazi's)  and a few robberys of anything to do with cats  maybe one clip of batman confronting her and she gets away thats it !
    Vendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Vendel

Oh hell no.....

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By TheSheepHerder

Catwoman. Nolan made a pretty interesting Joker in DK, so I'd like to see how he deals with Selina Kyle.

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Aquamariner

I could not agree more. Introducing a new character (which is indeed what having catwoman show up in B3 would be) would make it feel like a "new" start in a certain way. Especially after Nolan chose to have Rachel Dawes in TDK again, as a follow-up to Batman Begins. 
     That being said, A new female character IS totally necessary, if for no other reason than to have someone as Bruce's proverbial love interest. 

Personally, and just because I'd love to see Nolan's realistic (less cartoony-loony-Tim Burtoony) version of her, I wouldnt mind having Selina in B3... and maybe a love triangle with Talia thrown in the mix? 
    A cat fight (pun intended) between those two would be nice.  

Regardless  of whoever the female character in this movie is, all i know is that The Riddler better be in it! I need to get Jim Carey's "Riddle me this, riddle me that" out of my head!!!

Whitley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Whitley

At the end of TDK we have Batman on the run. Agreeing to become this hated symbol, so Harvey's good name stays that way. But did Bruce really know what he was getting into? 

There is a new mayor corrupt mayor in town. Hamilton Hill, he gets elected saying he is going to find the Batman and have him brought to justice. To deal with the freaks popping up more and more at Arkham he brings in noted psychologist Dr. Hugo Strange who immediately begins building a profile of this Batman from those that have fought him.  

Hill also hires a very noted Detective E. Nigma to find out who in the GCPD has connections to Batman. Gordon soon comes under suspicison and Nigma and Strange begin working together to find out who is the Batman.  

Batman is finding himself more and more isolated, finding it harder to relate to normal people. Alfred gets Bruce Wayne to go to a celebrity bachelor auction to raise money to help combat global warming. The winning bid (for Bruce) is by a Dr. Pamela Isley. Bruce begins to relate to her through her passion of saving the environment. He is finding that Bruce Wayne can be a hero as well. 

At the same time, Batman is having to deal a massive gang war going that is won by a South American drug cartel led by Bane. This is the Bane from Knightfall. Ceberal, calculating, and more than a match for Batman physically. The venom that Bane takes not only makes him bigger but smarter and more ruthless as well. It is Bane that owns Mayor Hill from the shadows. 
    Whoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Whoa

I personally would love to see Catwoman in the next film.

G thang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#139  Edited By G thang

I think catwoman would work because opposites attract. That's why the Batman/Catwoman thing has always worked it's grounded in reality. Batman at the end of TDK was on the run and this would lead him into a relationship with her. She is a criminal but has a good heart at the core. 
    This brings me back to one of my favorite storylines...Hush. I believe Nolan could us Hush like he did Ra's in the Batman Begins...with a twist and a big reveal. The more Nolan plays with Batman's head the better the movie and I don't feel Talia or Riddler  would bring the same shock value or twists that Joker or Ra's did. 

LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By LoggerRythm

I see what's going on here.  
    Babs is pining for catwoman.  
    You promiscuous little devil you!   ;-}

KillerZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By KillerZ  Moderator

I would like to see what kind of Catwoman would appear there.

Avatar image for ajthenewusrname
    AJthenewusrname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By AJthenewusrname

Nolan's   take on Batman is to explore the psychology of Bruce Wayne in first place as he is the main character not Batman. Batman is just an extention which aloves Bruce to do things he otherwise couldn't. In the comics the situation is reverse. We rearly even see Bruce, as the spotlight is always on Batman. Therefore a romantic relationship with another masked character is logical. 
    Nolan' s take on Batman is very realistic, therefore a relationship with the Catwoman wouldn't work. However Bruce needs someone to pull him out of his monster, and with Rachel dead (his only hope for a normal life), a new female character is needed.  
    As said in the article Talia would make sense, she could definitley bring the story to a full circle.     

mickeyglocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By mickeyglocks

I would have said Catwoman right away, but now that you mentioned Talia I'd say she's probably a better fit, considering the first movie. I'd love to see the Halle Berry image of Catwoman replaced with a better Nolan-version, however.

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#144  Edited By welshguy

To be "brutally honest" (apologies for that) is a third Nolan Batman even required? I'm sure it has its legions of fans but speaking personally, I find the Dark Knight utterly dreadful and the prospect of another one does not appeal to me in the slightest (unless of course it was more like Batman Begins). As for Catwoman being in it... God that would suck the proverbial. Not that many other Batman villains who can fit into the "realitistic" setting appeal to me either

mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By mbembet

i'm with the majority here who prefer Talia than selina. catwoman sucks riddler sucks robin sucks! i hope the 3 of them won't be in Batman3

gunjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By gunjin

catwoman would be nice. marion cotillard as selina would be fanfreakingtastic.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#147  Edited By Caligula

Catwoman is played out

TimothyWessel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By TimothyWessel

I like your idea to add Talia to the mix, and maybe bring back Ra's..
    But with the realistic nature of the film, Ra's surviving might need to Lazarus pit, and that would go all magicy and stuff.. I'm not sure Nolan wants to go there..
    Riddler and Catwoman are real, be it kinda messed in the head, but realistic possible people. So its easier..

And as much as Nolan's film doesn't need Catwoman, Catwoman needs Nolan's film to get her reputation back..   Damn whoever directed that last one.

ComiCCloseup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#149  Edited By ComiCCloseup

Talia    Talia    Talia !! Or how about we see some Killer Croc
    TheAdversary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By TheAdversary

I don't mind Catwoman in the third movie as long as they know how to nail it and the actress portrayed the true Selina (not like the other catwoman movie -.-).
    The Riddler is a cool choice although I would be super happy if Tommy Elliot aka Hush is a villain in it. No over the top cgi needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.