Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Brutally Honest: Is Catwoman In Nolan's Batman 3 Necessary?

krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By krisis

Riddler is on the casting brief, so I think it's a pretty sure thing he shows up in some regard. 

I think Catwoman is an obvious go-to in the Nolan universe, because she can so easily be an anti-anti-hero version of what he did for Bruce - a perfect complement, given how the last movie ended. However, of all the villains in the original quartet of Batman films, Selina Kyle is the one they did the best, so its a precarious challenge to take on, at best. 

It might be a fools errand or a jump-the-shark moment for Nolan. I think it partially depends on if he really wants to close his universe succinctly or if DC convinced him to leave it open for further reinterpretation (i.e., Catwoman is the latter, not the former).

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By TheMess1428

What about Vicki Vale?! I think there should be 2 love interests though. Choose two out of Catwoman, Talia, and Vicki. Make it one of the conflicts Bruce has to deal with along with fighting whoever the villain is. And since every movie has 2 villains, they should just use Riddler and Catwoman and have Vicki Vale too. 

Also, the rumor I heard was that Selina Kyle (along with Dick Grayson) were going to appear but without being in their costumes. They're in it but not as Catwoman and Robin. But who knows?

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#53  Edited By The Lobster

After the death of Rachel Dawes, yes it's necessary.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Captain13
    Ugh, no Catwoman please. I don't think I could believe her origin on screen. One of the great things about the Nolan movies is the realistic psychology of the characters. Catwoman doesn't have any origin story that makes psychological sense.
    Batman, Twoface, and Ghul were all motivated by tragedy.
    Joker was insane, and wanted to prove that everyone compromises on their morals.
    Catwoman is an ex-prostitute who receives 2-3 years worth of training and can outwit Batman? Yeah, right. How would you even explain her costume?

Plus it never made sense to me that Bats would even give her the time of day since he hates crime so much.

If there really needs to be a love interest, use Vicki Vale for a happy ending or use Jezebelle Jet for a sad one.

As for villains: Riddler, Black Mask,  Bane, and the Reaper would all be wayyy better candidates than Catwoman or Talia.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

Talia would be better, She should have appeared in the first film 

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

a love interest of some sort might be important for the films to show that Bruce wont be forever upset about Rachel's death, not that he has grieved long enough, but to show that he will grieve.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
    Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Bearded Justice

If done correctly, I wouldnt mind Catwoman.  But I could also see the film working without a love intrest.  Talia could be ok too, though. 
    G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By G'bandit

I think they should bring in Ra's and the babe 

Batman: With a vengeance! :D

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#59  Edited By Comiclove5
    @Sarpio__ said:
    "No, but you know who is? Robin. "
     Nolan said know to robin but JGL could play Nightwing, He looks like Dick Grayson to me.
     @ComicMan24 said:
    "I prefer Talia. "
    That could work in Nolan's Batman series.
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By brc2000

I don't mind Catwoman as long as she's not the main villain.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

It all depends on the story done, if they need a love interest, if that love interest is Catwoman or Talia or someone else, it all comes down to the story.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By elayem98
    @rlmay3 said:
    "Catwoman is a tad too eccentric for Nolan's grittier, grounded interpretation of the Batman Mythos."
    Catwoman is too eccentric? Nolan pulled of the Joker, the man who in the comics fell into a vat of chemical waste making find everything funny and killing people. I think he can make catwoman not eccentric.
    Crimson Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Crimson Eagle

No Catwoman please. But having no love interest for Batman may be useful for the 3rd movie.  

During The Dark Knight, Rachel Dawes dies and Batman seeked revenge on the Joker. Then he is a vigilante by the end of the film.  

For the 3rd movie, Batman remains a vigilante and has a cold heart because of Rachel's death, so as a result, he is crueller to his enemies. That could work, right?

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By CylonDorado

I don't see why she couldn't be in it, unless the only thing Nolan has seen of the character is the Catwoman movie.  

She is more realistic then half of Batman's villains, but I guess they could use anyone they want since they change them around a lot anyway. With that said, I think she could be as good as anyone else.

SeanJaxon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SeanJaxon

Ok, let me start with a few things that should happen... Newer fans have heard of Hush, which at the end of Dark Knight we saw the end of Harvey Dent... Whos to say that Harvey doesnt become Hush? that'd be a great twist... I think Bane'd be nice, but i doubt they could use him right... Rhas al ghul could come back and whatnot as he doesnt really age because he always uses that pond thingy to heal himself, and used it to bring back Jason Todd in the comics... I think Catwoman would be the best thing to add to the next Batman film... I understand that they don't want to use the Joker but why not bring in some characters to devastate... point being, why dont they bring in like Egg Head from the 70's? I think the Madhatter would also be a wicked combination to the movie. If they used scarecrow it'd have to be a good combination. So like the scarecrow, riddler, and madhatter devastating gotham... I could see it, they all mess with peoples minds and whatnot. Or they could go the old school route and have good ol' vicky vale in it...
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Om1kron

I think what made the dark night so good is the fact the ending was open ended.

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By ninjadude853

i think selina kyle should be there, but not necessarily catwoman, maybe she should just be a thief

grayrick949

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By grayrick949

I think Nolan's Batman World is perfect (all puns intended) for Catwoman and where the Dark Knight ended, the story wrights it self; Batman meets the anti hero Catwoman. Flirt, mistrust, tracking the Riddler, all with Johnny Law chasing them all down. Open ending Batman saves the day choses being Batman over Selina, but still hope. Great Batman Movie

Graphicly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Graphicly
    @Crimson Eagle: Do you mean more in the line of a Dark Knight Returns sort of Batman.  Where losing Rachel has pushed him to the edge?
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Kid_Zombie

yes to catwoman no to Riddler. Talia would work better though with bookending the movies. But I Would much rather have catwoman. I really like that relationship. I really don't want Riddler in this. I would rather someone who would fit the batman on the run story like Hugo Strange.

Freakochimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Freakochimaera

I want villains we havent seen on the big screen. Put Hush and Talia al ghul in!!! even a legitimate version of Bane would please me.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

Talia or Catwoman, can't go wrong with either.

Freakochimaera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Freakochimaera

Even black mask and the penguin having a gang war would be cool side story. 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By tonis

I have to agree that you can't go wrong with Catwoman or Talia to provide a love interest. 
    Much as I'd love to see Catwoman though, Talia would provide less of the cliche or deja-vu feeling.

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SigersonLTD

Why can't we have, both?

Talia, and Selina. I was sitting in the panel @Con a lifetime ago wherein Denny O'Neill stated it's one of Batman's ultimate choices, and he should of course end up with Talia. Half the crowd cheered, and the other half well, booed.... Could be very cool if this story line is taken to its logical conclusion, and we end up with a pregnant Talia.
    UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

From What I've read from Frank Miller Batman Begins first script was written by him and they later called in Nolan and Goyer to "write" the script. It just so happened that the new Batman script was very similar to the man who not only wrote Batman Year one but also wrote an early draft of the Script. I love the Dark Knight but I was not one of those who was in awe of Batman Begins. I kept thinking what would this have looked like if Frank Miller was involved in the writing? As for Catwoman..I wonder what a hyper realistic version of her would look like in a Nolan BatWorld? I think it would be best if he just stuck with one villain like the Riddler and make it a good puzzle solving story! (like a Red Dragon or Silence of the Lambs mystery). Let's put the Detective in the Dark Knight!

Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By gambitpryde1993

Catwoman would rock, but she should just be plain Selina Kyle for most of the movie. Do you guys think Harvey Dent is really dead? A PO'd Twoface would make a great villain. I hope Angelina Jolie isn't too old for Catwoman

tenroads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By tenroads

Talia seems to be the good choice, but in all honesty a love interest can also emerge from Bruce's personal life as well since he is a billionaire playboy after all

RedRobin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By RedRobin92

I'd really actually prefer that Catwoman weren't in the next film, I'd much rather see an even darker vigilante Batman in the middle of a Gotham gang war between the Penguin and Black Mask. 

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Blindside002

I don't care much for Talia, but you can't go wrong with Catwoman as long as she is kept too being a "thorn in his side" while he is attempting to take down the big evil he has himself preoccupied with her in both her identities.

ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

In my idea, not that this post is about the love interests or Talia or Catwoman, but
    in my idea the main villain (main focus like the Joker was) would be Riddler who would be this narcissistic type who has to show the police and Batman that he is the smartest by leaving notes, clues, riddles, and letters.  This would give Batman a chance to show he is more than a master fighter, and focus on his scientific/detective side.  The thing about the Riddler that could make him so dangerous is that he is as dangerous as the Joker, less chaotic, has more of a goal, and is much more intelligent.
    Penguin would be a more human version (not the mutant like in Burton's) he would be an eccentric mobster taking over the crime world.  He is a sort of in between of the Falcones and the Jokers.  He isn't exactly a freak criminal like the Joker was, but he is more freak than Gotham's usual mobsters.  Showing the escalation, and the way things will be going.  His part would be as big as the mobsters in the Dark Knight.
    Catwoman would be the sort of love interest.  She is a criminal, Batman hates criminals, but he is somehow unable to resist her even though he knows he should.  Her role would be like her role in Hush or the Nail.  And the size of her role would be like Rachel's in the Batman films.
    Gordon, Alfred, and Fox's, roles would be as big as their roles in the other films.

So its reasonable to fit them all in, and still have a really good story that flows.

XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By XFan616

Honestly I'd like to see a serious take on a more cheesy villain like Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy. We got a pretty darn good look at a serious Penguin and Catwoman in the second Batman film, but by the time we got to Freeze and Ivy it was just too clowny. Riddler and Two-Face were pushing it, but with Riddler in this movie we'll have both of them down for the count. So yeah...Freeze, Ivy...or Catwoman. I really don't think it'll matter if this is the last in the series.

Ms.Whisper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ms.Whisper

I don't think she's necessary but she is an important character that many people, including myself, would love to see done right. 

Mediant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#84  Edited By Mediant

I'd be fine with Catwoman. Honestly, I want to see what the Nolan version would be like. 
    Talia perhaps makes more sense, but I admit I'd be more interested in seeing Selina. 

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#85  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @TheMess1428 said:
    "Also, the rumor I heard was that Selina Kyle (along with Dick Grayson) were going to appear but without being in their costumes. They're in it but not as Catwoman and Robin. But who knows? "
    See this makes more sense, why is everyone assuming it's Catwoman that is going to be in the film, all the rumors say Selina Kyle not Catwoman. It would make more sense to have Selina Kyle in the third movie as Bruce's new love interest and they get closer and closer and she finds out he is Batman and something happens to her because of one of Batman's villians at the end of the third movie and that builds her up as being a villian in the fourth movie, maybe end it with her emotionally traumatized and a cat comes in her window to comfort her. Doin it that way would reinvigorate her character with the audience after the Catwoman movie fiasco and they will be more emotionally involved for the fourth movie.
    redmanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#86  Edited By redmanta

yes its about time to show cat women in batman movies
    arrowfan237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#87  Edited By arrowfan237

YES. She is one of the classics like Joker and Batman needs a love interest. Riddler would be cool too though.
    igman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By igman51

mayb, but i think mayb scarfac, hugo strange,  can make a cameo, a ventrilquest i know i spelled it wrong, is more realistic than other batman villians.. but i love 2 see bane in it. a super steroid bodybuilder assassin is believable..
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Yes, they need to include Catwoman, because if the world truly is going to end in 2012, we need to ensure that the abomination with Halle Berry wasn't the character's final film appearance.

Avatar image for grandnagustriforce
    grandnagustriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal totems, like Catwoman or the Penguin, seem like something Nolan wants to avoid.  He spent the whole first movie trying to explain how a bat costume wouldn't be totally ridiculous.  I don't think he would want to tackle it again in his attempts at realism in the future.  Talia seems like an interesting choice, but does every Batman film need a romantic interest?  He's not James Bond.  There is no need to have a token Bat-Babe, like there were in the Schumacher pictures. Whether or not there is a significant love interest in the plot all hinges on whether or not one can fit into the thematic thrust of the next film.  The one life line to Catwoman or Talia may now be that Batman in this next film is a wanted man, as of the end of the last film.  The whole public sees him as a monster.   With Catwoman or Talia's questionable sociopathology showing him the way, perhaps he will begin to think he is a beast and become one .

ShawnMichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#91  Edited By ShawnMichael

All I hope for really is please dont make Batman 3D.......... the whole concept is overrated and really oversaturated..  Catwoman might be ok for the movie , but she's like Robin in comparison i.m.o. Will we buy it? I would simply jump to Damian Wayne's mother instead. And for the main Villain I would put Deathstroke (Slade Wilson) as Batman's total opposite and Hush as Second Villain.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By FLStyle

I'd prefer Talia myself. If only because she has a back-story relation to Begins on top of her introduction during the film.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#93  Edited By A-Strondinaire

Catwoman for me, Talia is just so boring I know she gave me Damian but Catwoman should almost always be a given she's just as important as Two-Face and Joker and I have to say more important than any ghul.
    fetusburgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By fetusburgers
    @Joey Ravn: What he's saying is that everyone with half a brain knows who The Riddler, The Joker, and Catwoman are. One of the reasons The Dark Knight was such a hit was because you didn't have to be a comic book fanboy or girl to understand it. The Joker is a known property. As is Catwoman. If they used, for instance Hugo Strange or Maxie Zeus who in my opinion are both wonderful characters that could be brilliantly adapted, there is a huge potential for loss of revenue. Who apart from Batman comic fans knows who Abattoir is? It has nothing to do with artistic failure, but instead monetary and box office failure relative to the last film. 
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#95  Edited By Mbecks14

I would absolutely love to have catwoman in the next movie. She is definitely the best choice for a new love interest.

Avatar image for freddy_mercurial
    Freddy.Mercurial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Freddy.Mercurial

Hush, Talia & some C-list villains (Deadshot for one).  Ya, that's the ticket...

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By Gylan Thomas

I wanna see how Nolan would work Carwoman.
    And someone's gotta redeem the Halle Berry travesty.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Video_Martian

YES, she SHOULD appear, but she should NOT be played by Halle Berry!

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By the_fallen11

catwoman for sure. I would love to see Nolan's take on her. I would also love to see Hush.
    senote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By senote

The film is likely to be pretty damn amazing whoever they choose, I'm glad they never chose to do a 'bond girl' type thing with the Batman movies that would have sucked. I'm already counting down the days to the next Batman movie and I have no idea when it is :( I need a time-machine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.