Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Brutally Honest: Is Catwoman In Nolan's Batman 3 Necessary?

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    For a long time there was question of whether or not we would even see a third Batman film, and up until only recently did Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan actually reveal that a script was in fact, in the works. After the unexpected and subsequent death of Heath Ledger - who was the highlight of The Dark Knight for many- it is no wonder it took Nolan as long as it did to agree to a third film. The question is, who will we see in the third film? While rumors have circulated that Batman 3 will not feature the Joker and will introduce The Riddler , if you caught The Dark Knight then you know that as of this point Batman no longer has a "romantic interest." As much as I hate cliche's, I really think that Batman is going to need a love interest in the third movie, but I'm not sure the most obvious choice is the best one. 

When I first saw Nolan's Batman Begins, I wondered (and I am sure I wasn't alone) which Batman comic book interpretation did Nolan use as inspiration for his film? I settled on (and you can feel free to disagree with me)  a very loose interpretation of Frank Miller's 1987 publication, Batman: Year One. If you have seen Batman Begins and you can recall the origin story Nolan told in that film, then you might agree with me that there are some definite similarities. However, there is one key element that is clearly missing from Nolan's franchise which was a staple in Miller's Batman: Year One. Namely, the presence of Catwoman
     == TEASER ==
     If you are like me and you've been following every Batman 3 movie rumor to come out of the interweb rumor mill, then I am sure you have heard the rumor of the possibility of there being Catwoman in the third film. Well, here is some more of the same which broke today. As reported by Latino Review, Comicbookmovie.com claims that they received some "insider information" that Catwoman will appear in the upcoming Batman film. 

I received some info from a reliable source that Selina Kyle will be a part of the next Batman movie. The problem is, the rumor didn't originate with my source! It's more like one of those heard it from a friend type deals. Anyway, apparently said friend got a glimpse at some "script notes" from Nolan's upcoming Batman 3.

We can go ahead and debunk the rumor now, considering the source. This does, however, bring up the question of whether it would even make sense to have Catwoman in the third Batman film. If Nolan wants this next Batman movie to be his last, then I am sure the last thing he would want would be to leave the film's finale open ended...unless he wants to deal us another Inception, if you know what I mean. I really think that rather than introducing a completely new character into the mix, he could make the third film come full circle. In the first Batman movie, we saw the introduction of Ra's al Ghul as Bruce Wayne's mentor, yet there was no mention of his daughter Talia al Ghul, who is a pretty prominent character in Bruce's history. I think the third film would be the perfect time to introduce her to audiences, and I really wouldn't mind seeing another appearance by Liam Neeson in Batman 3. What do you guys think? Do you want Catwoman in Batman 3? Do you think it is even necessary to have a female character to play opposite Bruce in the movie? Would you want to see Talia? 
    Noray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Noray

Catwoman, no thanks.

rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By rlmay3

Talia just seems a far more logical choice, especially since Catwoman is a tad too eccentric for Nolan's grittier, grounded interpretation of the Batman Mythos. Plus, like you said, it's full circle.

EDIT: Also, I don't think non-comic geek fans even knew who Ra's was in the first one, so it would be nice to play up a villainess that hasn't gotten the mainstream cred she deserves.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

I prefer Talia.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondasch

Catwoman is a tired commodity, and unneeded for this movie.  Batman 3 should have Zsasz in it, or, quite frankly, the next few Batman should feature the Knightfall storyline with Bane.  That would make me happy.

AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AxlReznor

Is she necessary? Yes, I think she is. Her and The Riddler are the ONLY villains left that would work in Nolan's movies. They'd have to find someone really special to top Michelle Pfeiffer's amazing performance, but even so... Batman 3 would NOT work without her.

Sarpio__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Sarpio__

No, but you know who is? Robin.

gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gambit987

no catwoman Riddler and mob penquin, taila al ghul maybe.

KagiEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KagiEN

I heard from a friend of mine, which I agree with, that a lot of movies always have to have a love interest whether its necessary or not and looking at a lot of films that it has always been true. So I believe there will be a female lead for Batman to fall for and at this point what better character than Catwoman. Nolan & co. left me a little uneasy about Rachel Dawes as I never liked her character, but I feel they could bring in someone like Catwoman or another Bat-related character to make things right.
    AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AxlReznor

Also, Ra's al Ghul being in the next movie wouldn't make sense, because Nolan has made it absolutely clear that his movies are set in the REAL world. Ra's quite definitively died at the end of Batman Begins, and people don't come back from the dead in the real world - that's an entirely tired comic book tradition. 
    And without Ra's, there should be no Talia.
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I would love to see Talia in the third film. She could even be accompanied by a personal bodyguard....wait for it...wait for it....Lady Shiva ;)

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Amegashita

Catwoman, huh?  It could work.

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By conformist21

he has a bigger rogue gallery than just riddler and catwoman,
    let some other people get a shot,
    joker hadn't been seen since 89 movie, and scarecrow premiered,
    come on, just stop with those two people.
    bats don't need no chick

howlettgrowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By howlettgrowl

the third one would be better without any love interest because Batman would still feel like shit for feeling responsible over Rachael's death and he would be too busy evading the cops and living the life of playboy Bruce Wayne.

Avatar image for bringbackpowerpack
    BringBackPowerPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think for the third movie, they need to add a new element.  As great as the first two movies were, I am not sure more of the same (Batman vs. Bad Man) will continue to capture audiences in quite the same way.  Outside of introducing Robin (which Nolan said he would not do), really the only other option would be adding a love interest.  And as much as the Batman fanboi in me would prefer to see Talia, I think it would make more business sense to add Catwoman.  

Catwoman is someone even non-comic fans could relate to.  Casting the role would be a big deal and regardless of who ultimately ended up with the part, it would create tons of buzz in (and out of) the industry. The moms and pops of the world would take notice when [insert a-list celeb here] got the role of Catwoman in the new Batman movie.  They wouldn't even bat an eyelash when Olivia Wilde (for example) signed on to play Talia.

I expect the Riddler.  I expect Catwoman.  And as a nod to comic fans everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bruce Wayne meeting a Dick Grayson in passing.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joey Ravn
    @AxlReznor said:
    " Is she necessary? Yes, I think she is. Her and The Riddler are the ONLY villains left that would work in Nolan's movies. They'd have to find someone really special to top Michelle Pfeiffer's amazing performance, but even so... Batman 3 would NOT work without her. "
    Really? What about The Penguin, Hugo Strange, Zsasz, Black Mask, Blockbuster, Harley Queen, Maxie Zeus, The Ventriloquist, Talia Al Ghul, Abattoir, Calculator, the Deacon Blackfire, The General, The Phantasm, the Tally Man... They could all fit in the "realistic" approach Nolan has given the character.  

Claiming that Batman 3 will be a failure without the Riddler or Catwoman is a bit extremist, I think.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DEGRAAF

i wouldnt have a problem with him leaving a hook at the end of the movie with her but i dont think she is a strong enough character to play solo against Bruce in the fourth movie if/when a new director gets on board to helm a 4th. I agree i think Talia would be a better choice and although we know they have sexual tension between Bruce and Talia, i feel w/ Talia, the movie would focus more on the story of Batman trying to gain back the trust and support of Gotham's people.
    Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skies327

Just bring in The Riddler and call it a day.

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18  Edited By batmanboy11

I don't really want to see Catwoman OR Talia al Ghul. Or even Ra's for that matter. I think that the realistic take on Batman should mean that Ra's actually died, and I don't think its necisary for Talia to appear. Although if she were to appear she could take over the League of Assassins after Ra's death. I'd rather see Black Mask, Scarecrow (again) or Penguin. 
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phantomzxro

Here is the thing i could see talia being in it and that could be a better way to step up a love interest for batman. But i still think catwomen would be a more entertaining choice. Batman does not have to fall in love with her within the movie but a little flirting and an old school cat and mouse chase sounds like a fun time on screen.  

Also now that batman is looked at as a criminal to the common police now he would relate to catwomen a bit. Also sucks to say but most common fans of batman won't know who talia is but everyone kinda knows who catwomen is which will keep the common person interested. I say put both in the movie catwomen can pop in a out and not be a main focus but it would be cool to know she is out there.
    Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#20  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

I'm leaning towards Talia, but Catwoman can have a cameo. The Riddler will do well, just don't show scarcrow anymore since they made him uninteresting after Batman Begins.

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chogi

michelle pfeiffer killed it in batman returns. so don't even bother. that catwoman was perfect.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I'd love Selina Kyle/Catwoman to be Nolanised, she's a perfect gritty yet elegant character who'd suit this process.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By doordoor123

The state that Batman was in at the end of the Dark Knight left a big welcoming arms to Catwoman. I really wouldnt be suprised if shes in it.
    1. Batman is now a rogue so to speak.
    2. Batman has no love interest. 
    Its kind of perrrfect.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By WW-Fan

they must have Catwoman!!! and why is so many here so against Catwoman? i mean she was the best part in the Batman Returns movie!
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silver2467

First off, I do not want the third BatMan film to be the last. I have always hoped that they would continue with this franchise for more than three films. Unfortunately, it does not appear that that will happen. That brings me to my second point. If the third is the last, I do not want to see Catwoman introduced. It would not fit. She has always been a lingering character. Ending with her does not seem prudent to me. Talia may work, depending on how it is done. I would not necessarily be opposed to Talia having a role in the upcoming film, but I also would not necessarily be opposed to having no love interest at all in the upcoming film. Third, if the next BatMan movie were not to be the last, then I would not be as opposed to Catwoman being in it. Fourth, this is not related to Catwoman, but I want to see Black Mask as the primary villain. In my humble opinion, Black Mask's mafia-style villainy would align with the realistic, dark feel of the current BatMan movie franchise perfectly.

rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By rlmay3
    @phantomzxro: Two girls for Bats? Would that be a... CAT-fight!?
    greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By greenenvy

Talia AL Ghoul would be cool Babs : ) or Cat woman either still thou, how about poison ivy or Harley Quinn somehow in a any very different way? 

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I kind of want catwoman to be in it so i can erase the halle version from my mind T__T but if there has to be a love interest it can only be between catwoman and talia
    And I love the batman catwoman dynamic movie wise but the introduction of talia could be more interesting for nolan's version of batman. 

I dont know I'd be happy with either woman being chosen, but both will need a good reason and motive for being introduced

For villains I think the riddler might be too much like joker if you think about it, I think hush or  zsasz could be interesting choices
    Too bad so many of batman's enemies are so difficult to use in nolan's world 

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By IrishX

Talia who? Exactly. Catwoman is a much more recognizable character and would make more sense. 

Also, nobody is going to top Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.

Solitaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Solitaire

I'm 100% with Babs. Lazarus Pits to bring back Ra's and Talia as the new love interest. Done.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JokerSmilez

Frankly, I'd be really disappointed if there was no Catwoman in the next Batman.  

Nolan has said he plans on wrapping up the films in a way that precludes the possibility of more Batman movies without another reboot. I don't know how he plans to do that or how he could work a Catwoman into just a single movie, but I'm really interested in what his take on Catwoman would be. 

I don't think anyone but Batman nerds know about or care about Talia and I think going back to the same material as Batman Begins would be disappointing. 

grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#32  Edited By grifter78

A friend and I had a lengthy discussion about this after seeing Dark Knight.  Basically, Catwoman would work because at the end of Dark Knight, Batman is on the run.  He is a vigilante again.  Catwoman would end up playing a duel-role like she's always done in that she makes her living as a thief but she'll fight on the side of angels sometimes too.  With his connection with the police severed, Batman would be drawn to her and thus the love-hate relationship begins.
    The only thing I will say is she can't be the only villain.  There has to be another.  Plus, it's a chance for her character to be redeemed after that Halley Berry fiasco.  :)

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Thunderscream

I think I'm ridin' the Talia train here, just cuz I can really see Nolan's spin on the Lazarus pit and we'd get some more sick monk-fu action

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By johnny_spam

I made a blog about my thoughts on the future Batman movie villains with Catwoman I said she should be a obstacle and not a love interest but also the way the last film ended he was by himself alone against the world the theme for the last film should be solitude Batman against the world after all his plans fell through and I don't think Catwoman can fit in for the third one. 

Also it's not like comicbookfilm.com is the most reliable website their "sources" saw the script? The same script from Nolan who prefers all his movies get made by confidentially? Even Batman-On-Film.com has said they are not the most reputable website.

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By antiterra

I'd love to see a great Catwoman on the silver screen one day (I'm not crazy about Pfeiffer's portrayal and I refuse to even acknowledge... the "other one").

However, the Bruce/Selina dynamic deserves more than one movie IMO. From Year One to Heart of Hush and beyond: that's a story I'd want to see. It is certainly one of the great love stories of DC/Marvel comics.

I'm afraid it might be a bit late in the game for her potential role to be anything more than the usual flirty/adversarial relationship that's been told countless times in comics. 

That said, Nolan created a substantially different yet immediately recognisable Joker, and he did a brilliant job with him. If he does include Catwoman, I'd still trust him to tell a fresh story.

Talia... I'm not sure how well she would fit in. Ra's as Bruce's mentor was perfect for an Origins movie, but beyond that, the Ghuls feel a little too esoteric for Nolan's universe, especially after TDK really grounded his Batman in an urban, modern environment.

It could work with a few adjustments, I suppose: ditch the resurrections and make the League of Assassins less "ninja-y", more "yakuza-y".

(I'm very eager to see Talia in Arkham Asylum II, however...)

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Moomin123

I wanna see Catwoman or Vicki Vale as Batman's next love interest.
    Legacy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Legacy_

If were going for a definitive closure for the Batman series than bring Talia and her father into play.  Seeing the Lazarus Pit would be sickly awesome.  It should end with Talia being pregnant ;)

BattleHeiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BattleHeiz

Don't really  like Catwoman in movies

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By antiterra
    @Silver2467 said:

Fourth, this is not related to Catwoman, but I want to see Black Mask as the primary villain. In my humble opinion, Black Mask's mafia-style villainy would align with the realistic, dark feel of the current BatMan movie franchise perfectly. "

Oh, yes. Yes, please. Black Mask is THE perfect villain for Nolan's Batman. The crime families are in disarray at the end of TDK. The 3rd movie could chronicle Black Mask's rise to power in parallel with Batman's "new life" as a wanted vigilante.

I also very much agree that Batman doesn't need a love interest. I wonder why Babs posits that he does. If the new movie takes place immediately (or shortly) after TDK, it would even feel out of place.

Darknight87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Darknight87

I personally don't ever want to see the Batman movies end. Since I was a kid there was always some sort of Batman on tv or film and I personally can't imagine it ending now. The comics are great but theirs something about seeing the characters portrayed on screen that sticks into my head. 

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phantomzxro
    @antiterra said:
    "@Silver2467 said:

Fourth, this is not related to Catwoman, but I want to see Black Mask as the primary villain. In my humble opinion, Black Mask's mafia-style villainy would align with the realistic, dark feel of the current BatMan movie franchise perfectly. "

Oh, yes. Yes, please. Black Mask is THE perfect villain for Nolan's Batman. The crime families are in disarray at the end of TDK. The 3rd movie could chronicle Black Mask's rise to power in parallel with Batman's "new life" as a wanted vigilante.

I also very much agree that Batman doesn't need a love interest. I wonder why Babs posits that he does. If the new movie takes place immediately (or shortly) after TDK, it would even feel out of place.

"

The movie does not need a love interest...sort of, see the thing is just having black mask combine all the broken gangs around gotham will not hold the movie up on its own. I find  half of the fun of dark knight was seeing the joker work which was great i don't know if black mask will have that same star power. So we will need more then one layer of drama going on in this movie. that is why an idea of a love interest is going around.
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By Dark Cell

Catwoman is a joke, I thought we established that after she got her own film.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I have had an idea how to introduce Catwoman into the movie, but it depends on the entire plot.
    So the plot, in my idea, is that Bruce has gone off the deep end, he hasn't lost it completely, but he is dangerously close to going down that path.  He is spending less time as Bruce and more time as Batman.  He has become more reckless, aggressive, angry, and brooding, in his actions against crime.  He talks to Alfred less, he barely talks to Fox, and never talks to Gordon.  He is almost alone now, and then while patrolling he finds Catwoman.  She is a cat burglar who, inspired by the recent events of Batman, the Joker, and others, has began dressing in a cat like costume of armor like Batman's.  

No Caption Provided

She is robbing, they flirt, he chases her, and she gets away.  At first their relationship is a dangerous flirtation, something that Bruce feels would be against the rules.  but he pursues her anyway.  As the story progresses she becomes a bigger part of his life,
    like her role in the comics  Justice League of America: The Nail  or in  Batman: Hush where she sort of helps out and she and Bruce get closer during the whole thing.
    She, at first, seems like someone not to be trusted, but she proves to be very helpful.  But her level of trust should be the same as in those stories.
    In the end she becomes part of the "Batman Family" along with Alfred, Gordon, and Fox.
    She wouldn't exactly be a "love interest" but she could be a "possible" love interest.
    But she, along with Alfred (they would become the two closest to Bruce) as well as Fox and Gordon, help bring Bruce through the darkness and back into the light.

But again, this idea has to go along with the whole story, she can't just be slipped into any story.  Her being there has to be called for.

I could see Talia, but I don't know.
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By -Eclipse-
    @Sarpio__ said:
    "No, but you know who is? Robin. "

I hear dat! :P 

But Nolan said no Robin... Still, I hope that Robin at least gets a reference at the end of the movie. Kinda like how Joker was referenced at the end of Batman Begins? Maybe at the end of the movie Alfred says that, to cheer Bruce up after all the doom and gloom of the events of the movie, he's got him some tickets to the circus, and then the last scene shows that the tickets say "Featuring the Flying Graysons!" or something. THAT would be pretty awesome.
    super papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By super papercut

Indubitably!

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By antiterra
    @phantomzxro said:

The movie does not need a love interest...sort of, see the thing is just having black mask combine all the broken gangs around gotham will not hold the movie up on its own. I find  half of the fun of dark knight was seeing the joker work which was great i don't know if black mask will have that same star power. So we will need more then one layer of drama going on in this movie. that is why an idea of a love interest is going around. "

I agree Black Mask wouldn't be enough, just like Two-Face or the Joker probably wouldn't have been enough on their own. I'm not saying Black Mask has to be the only villain. Black Mask + Hush? I'm in heaven.

But you know who I really want? Condiment King. Do it, Nolan, do it! xD

cmills97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cmills97

i think hush would be the perfect villain for nolan's world. it's one of my favorite comic book stories of all time, and i think with some tweeking would fit perfectly into Nolan's world. Also i agree that the catwoman/batman romance deserves more than one movie, but i think maybe the introduction of the huntress and a flirtation with her would be nice

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NightFang3

You can never go wrong with Catwoman.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By karrob
    @Noray said:
    " Catwoman, no thanks. "
    schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By schmidty207

Should Catwoman be in Batman 3? no.

Should Catwoman be in a future Batman film? Yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.