Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Bruce Wayne Returns With A New Look In "Batman, Inc."

• 147 results
    TimothyWessel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By TimothyWessel

I like the old colors better.. Yellow doesn't really help you hide in the dark very well.. Even if it is covered in a cape 90% of the time. And the lack of black codpiece actually draws MORE attention to his crotch.. if thats possible.

Staticoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Staticoss
    @Desiderina Redhead:
    just......no  

I love the new look
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#103  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Ok to all the people complaining about the symbol 

its supposed to be a target !!!!! 
     hat symbol has more kevlar under it than any part of the costue 

t
    Avatar image for forthegreatergood
    forthegreatergood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yay! I don't mind it as much, I mean he still looks like Batman, as long as they don't drastically change things.
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By logan48227

I like the new suit. Yellow insignia & all.

Nikitas10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Nikitas10

I like his work. The images look stunning.

uban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By uban

BATMAN!!! @_@

BrianDusel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By BrianDusel

A team of Batmen?  Hmmmmm... Not sure how I feel about that.  On the one hand, I loved Brotherhood of the Bat Elseworlds stories, but looking at those covers, looks like the current team we have already, just adding Bruce as Batman back in there.  So is it really a "team of Batmen" if the only Batmen are Bruce and Dick?
    SnottyCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By SnottyCane
    @Gylan Thomas:
    thats the only verson the yellow works
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By NightFang3

I'm looking forward to Bat's new look.

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#111  Edited By batmanboy11
    @NightFang said:
    "I'm looking forward to Bat's new look. "
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Video_Martian
    @johnny spam said:
    " @goldenkey: @goldenkey said:

" It's stupid.  Miller made the point of it being a target way back when and it's just dumb to have it.  Plus it looks stupid.  "

Batman's a target in general he has big ears a cape and the whole target thing is that they would shoot in the most armored part of his body instead of his head. Even if he didn't have a yellow oval he would still run the risk of getting shot. 

"
    that's true, that's true :/
    Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Tyler Starke

I always disliked the yellow symbol, I would love grant morrison so much more if he would stop messing with the characters look, for instance Jason todd's red hair ( lol yeah I'm still mad about that one) God Morrison is so freaking contrary alll of the time

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Marshal Victory

Similar to  Batman: Arkham Asylum with the old batman disc thrown on.An yeah as pointed out before miller did the whole reson for the disc/target.As well a havieng multiple batmen in a way as well to with sons of bat man.
    smalltropolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By smalltropolis

I can´t see the pants???

NerdAlert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By NerdAlert

I really didn't want Bruce to come back. True Dick isn't the same kind of Batman as Bruce was but it seemed to give the Bat family more depth. Dick grew into the new Batman. Tim established his own grown identity and Damian was brought into his father's legacy. It seemed really refreshing to see these characters grow into what their fate is suppose to be.  

Waerloga69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Waerloga69

I love the bat symbol on yellow, it's instantly recognizable.

Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#118  Edited By Xangel
    @AmazingSpiderJohn: Finally someone else that agrees with me!
    Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Xangel
    @squidracerX said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" Morrison+Batman= Insta-read for me. "

Opposite for me, I am pretty much done with Grant Morrison. I own and have read most of his DC/Vertigo work: the Filth, WE3, Invisibles, Joe the Barbarian, Animal Man, Final Crisis, Seven Soldiers, Return of Bruce Wayne, his "classic" Arkham Asylum, his regular Batman/ Batman + Robin runs so far (Batman and Son, RIP, Black Glove, etc...), Doom Patrol, All Star Superman... And man I have grown time and time again to HATE his schizophrenic writing style. The man obviously (hopefully) has a story written in his head, but just cannot put it to paper coherently. He is the most confusing comic book writer I have ever read, and is an absolute road block to new readers. He can call people who have a hard time following his writing autistic all he wants, (Morrison did say that in fact), but his mind and his writing clearly have a disconnect. Didio once said that Grant pitches his stories by telling you about them along with giving you a sketch, I assume all we ever get is the sketches with all those important verbal details lost to the void.

Not saying I dislike all his stuff; I liked All-Star Supes, Damien is growing on me in Batman, WE3 was neat, Joe the Barbarian is really good so far. But I hate hate hate his Batman work (even back with Arkham) with a passion. I am hating the Return of Bruce Wayne, a simple story that he is either trying to make overly complicated, or just cannot write. Batman is not doing anything to earn and advance his way out of Darkseid's Omega Beams like he should be (like Mr Miracle did)... he is just stumbling his way home. 

I like some ideas he has don't get me wrong; like Seven Soldiers was a fairly fun read, but it was insanely hard to follow his mind through those pages. Basically if he could write better, i like the actual ideas he has (usually). I like that he wants Animal Man to break the 4rth wall and be a thinking man's comic, but he just doesn't pull it off for me. He does it in a way that when you read it it seems like non-sense with the aliens and gobbilty gook. I'd rather have a straight up "super hero" tale featuring Animal Man (like the recent Animal Man mini). Dan Didio once said in a DC Nation that he gets to sit down with Grant and when Grant explains things to him his ideas are so cool and clear... Well again I'll point out to Dan we don't have that luxury; maybe DC should have Grant do a radio show instead of writing a visual comic?

As another reviewer said about the Crisis he wrote, Morrison gives us.. "a very disjointed story... this event is only proof that Morrison may be suffering a serious case of ADHD". I agree with that quote on most of his work. HI think he needs a "balls to the wall" editor that is willing to say "add more" or "explain this better" to Morrison and not be afraid; also an editor who will add editors notes at GM's references to past obscure comics/characters. 

In fact that reviewer says it all for me about Crisis, (and Morrison) needing a good editor, not making sense, and needing to be more reader friendly... here is his link: http://comicbooklegacy.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html 

Again it all leads me to think GM might just be schizophrenic, and cannot separate what he knows in his head from what the reader needs to know to process all the details with comics that come out a month apart from each other. Obviously if you like GM, my opinion doesn't sway you, but that's why its my opinion :), and just like i didn't used to like Judd Winick and now don't mind him, maybe GM will turn my perception around? I really think he just needs a good editor! "
    someone once told me they think that GM writes down all of his ideas on tiny scraps of paper; sloshes them all over his table, picks them up in any random order to make his story, and disregards those that fall to the floor!  Sure seems like it sometimes; i think he's too obsessed with trying to "blow peoples minds" with his freshman level philosophy class he's putting on with his batman writing; caring more about asking the mind blowing questions; what if Tom Wane was still alive, what if alfred was his father, etc; than the actual answers.  As for his "classic" Arkym Asylum, i know he doesn't like the over-testosterone Miller batman of the 80's; but that doesn't mean you need to make him the complete opposite; some wimpy emo who can't think and can't fight.  Blah, at least batman and robin is a little more accessible.
    squidracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By squidracerX
    @Xangel: Yeah, i like the hat analogy, i would add that it seems liek he has a full story when he puts it in the hat, and when it falls out not only does it get jumbles, but a few panels seem to slip under the couch so they aren't used, (here's looking at you final crisis return of aquaman in 1 panel).

I mean I like that he is a fan of old comics as well, he brings up fun easter eggs all the time, my dad who first hand bought (and still owns) spiderman #1, avengers #1, x-men #1, more swamp things and flashes than you could shake a stick at, well he loves the little easter eggs and throwbacks that Morrison puts in. Like the end of final crisisi, the deus ex machina miracle machine , ihad no idea what it weas and trhought it was dumb. He owns the comic that appeared in back in the day. He thought it was fun. But c'mon im not 60 years old, give me an editor note so i know where to look that crap up!!!
    Another example that is a barrier to new readers; in the whole death of batman/batman r.i.p. and the zurr-en-arh silliness he has bat-mite appear and float around (in my opinion its Bruce's defense mechanism/mind creating Bat-mite but even im not 100% sure).  My buddy read my copies, and he was newish to Batman, and he asked who little cartoon Batman was. I explained he was like mr mxyzptlk  but for Batman not superman. But then he was like "is he really here?". Well Bruce asked the same thing? Are you real or my imagination, Bat-mite says "the fifth dimension is imagination". Well now I'm even confused. And Bat-mite had something weird on him that was never explained, a thing on his back. Great, more red-herrings! (So in an interview grant supposedly explained the thing on the back, but why not in the actual story? are we supposed to read all his interviews too?) So already a nutty character, and I have to explain I don't think he is there, and even though the imps DO create crazy ass scenarios like this one for Batman (so he could be there),, I don't think its him this time...  Then he is wondering if Bat-mite always in Bruce's head. So luckily i can help explain that to him, but imagine to a new reader who may not have someone help them that was totally confusing without Bruce doing some sort of monologue afterward to explain what happened, or an editor saying some little Bat-mite fact. A throw back character used as a plot device like that is hard unless you are a long time reader. It just left you with a little bit too much "what happened" for my taste.
    Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Xangel
    @squidracerX: yeah, i just recently got back into comics after about a 15 yeah hiatus, heard that bruce wayne was "dead" and that dick grayson had taken up the cowl.  I thought cool, i'll read batman rip and battle for the cowl and be all caught up right?, NOPE turns out to read anything GM has written you have to read EVERYTHING that GM has written on the topic.  So now i have 2 years worth of batman to get caught up on to even get to what's going on now.  And oh how i wish i could forget that i heard bruce wayne was hop-scotching thru time being caveman batman and pirate batman and aggghhHHHH!   

My new plan is to pick up from where i stopped reading, (around about the end of the knightfall series and not even all of that)  so i'm starting with sword of azrael, re-reading knightfall 1&2, filling in my collection with the missing knightquest issues, knightfall 3 and then grabbing up important storylines to get to present day (hush, killing joke, etc).  And then following any spin off characters along the way (azrael 1&2, tim drake as red robin and his interactions with stephanie as spoiler/robin/batgirl, nightwing, and get up to the present with batman & robin which actually looks to be a more accessible GM work) and hopefully by then the whole mess that is the batman universe will have worked itself out and hack ideas like batman inc. will have been long burried!  Hell until recently i hadn't even heard of  Ra's al Ghul! shows how long i've been out of the game!
    batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By batmanboy11
    @Xangel said:

"  Hell until recently i hadn't even heard of  Ra's al Ghul! shows how long i've been out of the game! "

Ra's al Ghul was created in the '70s, so not reading comics for 15 years doesn't really explain how you haven't heard of him...     
    Avatar image for american_dragon
    American Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By American Dragon

Looking forward to Bruce`s Return to the cowl, But hate the idea of more than one Batman, I`ll check it out because i`m a huge fan of Batman but if it continues to be more than one Batman, I will drop it as quick as I picked it up.

inkbot01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By inkbot01
    @Dr. Maxwell said:
    " Like Red Hood said in his 3 issue arc, "it's all about the brand" The Yellow Ellipse Bat-symbol is Batman's brand, hence Batman Incorporated "
    Couldn't type it better myself ;)
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By mattydeNero

Batman is supposed to be the stealth of the stealth.  This costume change is wretched.  The yellow symbol on his chest of a target.  It's not like he's galavanting around Gotham during the day.  Bad move.  I've been reading almost every Batman title for the past three years eversince the arcs leading into R.I.P.  Once Bruce "died" I was almost certain he would return rocking his old duds.  I'm not a fan of the "yellow symbol", not at all.
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#126  Edited By EganTheVile1

Hate to be the voice of discontent but I am not a fan of this look for Batman at all... probably nothing more then that the bat insignia looks like it is raised and a seperate part of the costume making me feel like he may pull a "Superman II" and tear it off his chest and throw it at someone sooner or later, lol

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By undeadpool

Oh DC...DC, DC, DC...

alphamale73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#128  Edited By alphamale73

Intriguing. Not a fan of Morrison though. I don't like his run on Batman at all.

Xangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Xangel
    @batmanboy11: he wasn't around at all in the early 90's when i was reading; ok maybe it's more like 20 years!
    batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By batmanboy11
    @Xangel: 

Now that I think about it, there aren't many Ra's al Ghul stories between the early '80s and late '90s so you're off the hook  :P
    Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

Never liked that symbol. Prefered the all Black Bat signal.
    Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Mokey

Batman Inc. should be incredibly awesome, especially if it ties into his Hypercrisis

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By batmanboy11
    @Mokey said:
    "Batman Inc. should be incredibly awesome, especially if it ties into his Hypercrisis "
    Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Croaker

So..the yellow circle is supposed to attract the fire to an armored position?

His utility belt is yellow too, so..

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#135  Edited By lorex

While I like Batman and I think the new artwork revealed so far looks great, I agree with others that a yellow crest in the center of his chest is a mistake. It looks like a target for people to aim for.

not2baad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#136  Edited By not2baad

Batman should have a little light .

comicnerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#137  Edited By comicnerdy

It's ok. Not too crazy about it....

SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#138  Edited By SigersonLTD
    @lorex: Exactly!!! Someone who gets it....
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By John Valentine
    @goldenkey said:
    " It's stupid.  Miller made the point of it being a target way back when and it's just dumb to have it.  Plus it looks stupid.  "
    No, the point of having a yellow target on his chest is that it's more obvious and therefore more likely to be hit by Batman's enemies, opposed to, say, his head.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By John Valentine
    @AxlReznor said:
    "
    You know what pisses me off? Everyone making a big deal out of Batman getting a new costume... then you look at it, and the change is the logo is slightly different. What's the point? "
    I don't really know why that would piss you off, but the costume is different; yes, it's grey and it has a black cowl, but the boots, belt, symbol, the cowl itself and the type of grey suit material are all different.
    AxlReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By AxlReznor

Oh yes. It looks SO different. I almost didn't recognise him. 
    Give me a break... they should only make a big deal out of a costume redesign if it's actually a significant redesign like Wonder Woman's. Just giving a miniscule variation on what it's been for over 70 years is NOT a costume change.

Avatar image for green_lantern_2814_5
    Green Lantern 2814.5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super excited to see the old symbol come back even though its more of a target then anything

matt_cable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By matt_cable

This topic has been pretty thrashed out. I much prefer the black bat-emblem to the yellow so-called target, but I'm relieved they didn't go for Schumacher-level style changes. Heavens! We could have seen the return of batnipples or the inexplicably bad, blue and silver armoured look. 

Give it time- in a year or two the black bat will return with some incoming artist or dramatic editorial/ narrative shift to reflect a return to Bruce's dark side when he retreats from the bat family in order to please fans who want the solo brooding bat back or whatever, and we'll have this whole discussion all over again. 

On a side note, I'm glad to see Bruce return but hope that Dick remains in the cowl. It's time these characters were allowed to flex and grow. Bruce's stoicism has been static for too long- he needs to embrace his wider family and relish what they bring to their shared crusade. Writers, please hook him up romantically with someone solid, suitable, and sustainable a la Lois Lane and Superman. Lord knows the man deserves some joy in his life. 

Out.  

dan1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By dan1509
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#145  Edited By danhimself

Andy Kubert's version of the new suit has sold me on it
     Andy Kubert's version of the new suit has sold me on it
    squidracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By squidracerX
    @batmanboy11 said:
    " @Xangel:  Now that I think about it, there aren't many Ra's al Ghul stories between the early '80s and late '90s so you're off the hook  :P "
    yeah i don't think he really had his heyday until after the animated series...
    batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By batmanboy11
    @squidracerX said:
    " @batmanboy11 said:
    " @Xangel:  Now that I think about it, there aren't many Ra's al Ghul stories between the early '80s and late '90s so you're off the hook  :P "
    yeah i don't think he really had his heyday until after the animated series... "

Yeah, the animated series had some great effects on the Batman mythos. Without it, we wouldn't have Harley Quinn or the new Mr. Freeze and some of the newer al Ghul stuff. And the series kicked butt of course.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.