Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman's Worst Decision

• 94 results
    ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rustyroy said:

@scouterv said:

Not seeking psychological help more often.

The guy is off his rocker...

He doesn't need it.

Why do you say that?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@megahgfan: That's what makes the character powerful. It is not Batman's right to sanctimoniously end someone's life. That would be giving vigilantism a bad name everywhere. This gesture would make Bruce just as bad as the criminals that he is trying to eliminate.

Vigilantism already has a bad name.

Also, you're going to compare killing a homicidal clown (seriously, how many times would Batman killing him have been in self-defense,) to mass murder, domestic terrorism, kidnapping, assault, and battery (of a minor?)

I bet money they'd throw Batman a parade if he finished off Joker once and for all.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it a bit odd that people say not killing Joker is Batman's worst decision.

If he did that, do you know how many people would groan and moan about them killing off one of comic's biggest villians?

Jmarshmallow

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Who knew this would turn in to a hate Batman thread as well,I'm so shocked. Batman has no reason to kill the Joker,he has no reason to even be Batman,he could spend his nights as a rich boy,Gotham should be thankful,he's serving the public . He has not been legally sanctioned by the government,it's not like he's violating orders by not killing the Joker. He's made perimeters for himself,that's his decision,he can choose to kill Joker or not,he isn't bound. It's the job of the court to sentence Joker to death. Not killing Joker shows his will and resolve,anyone else would've cracked a long time ago,and that's a key feature of their dynamic.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@scouterv said:

@batman-hush said:

@megahgfan: That's what makes the character powerful. It is not Batman's right to sanctimoniously end someone's life. That would be giving vigilantism a bad name everywhere. This gesture would make Bruce just as bad as the criminals that he is trying to eliminate.

Also, you're going to compare killing a homicidal clown (seriously, how many times would Batman killing him have been in self-defense,) to mass murder, domestic terrorism, kidnapping, assault, and battery (of a minor?)

I bet money they'd throw Batman a parade if he finished off Joker once and for all.

lol

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Mandarinestro

I think if we had a poll Jason Todd style which Batman villain should be killed off and NOT come back until another reboot or so I'm pretty sure people won't vote Joker.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@rustyroy said:

@scouterv said:

Not seeking psychological help more often.

The guy is off his rocker...

He doesn't need it.

Why do you say that?

Because he doesn't. He's in control of himself and seeking that kind of help will only get him into trouble storywise.

@scouterv said:

@batman-hush said:

They'd throw an even bigger parade if Superman and all the other heroes killed their enemies but I don't see any people bringing them up.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: Norman Osborn and Lex Luthor have both shown they can do good. If you don't see the million reasons Captain AMERICA executing anyone would send a bad message you must be dense. Batman/Joker is a completely different case. Superman, Spider-Man, and Cap all have images to uphold. Batman's image is DEPENDENT on him being frightening.

But are they? They kill more people than Joker, cause more destruction than Joker and unlike Joker they are not mad. Batman's image is just as important if not more than Superman or Spider-Man, he shows a common man's will to fight injustice without becoming a psychopathic murderer.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the fact he decide to use the costume?

All his bad decisions came from that decision.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knew this would turn in to a hate Batman thread as well,I'm so shocked. Batman has no reason to kill the Joker,he has no reason to even be Batman,he could spend his nights as a rich boy,Gotham should be thankful,he's serving the public . He has not been legally sanctioned by the government,it's not like he's violating orders by not killing the Joker. He's made perimeters for himself,that's his decision,he can choose to kill Joker or not,he isn't bound. It's the job of the court to sentence Joker to death. Not killing Joker shows his will and resolve,anyone else would've cracked a long time ago,and that's a key feature of their dynamic.

QFT

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Black_Arrow

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
    brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Yeah, they are. They've done provable good as opposed to the irredeemable Joker. And sorry but that thing about Batman's image being the "common man" is crap.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Yeah, they are. They've done provable good as opposed to the irredeemable Joker. And sorry but that thing about Batman's image being the "common man" is crap.

Nope they aren't, they'll go back to being bad guys because that's what they are. And they've killed more man, destroyed more properties, on that alone they are more guilty than Joker. And its not crap, its true.

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie: That's because they've been given the chance to do good. Joker is insane, therefore there's a chance, however miniscule, that he'll get better. It wouldn't be right for a man that doesn't follow the law to end a man of the state's life.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: How would sitting down with Martian Manhunter or Black Canary for two hours, three times a week get him in trouble? You say he's in control, but if he's always so scared to "cross the line," maybe that's not the case.

You don't see them being brought up because this is a Batman thread. Also, Lex actually does some good with Lex-Corp. Most of his big opponents aren't the constant threat Joker is cause they're off-world. What good does The Joker do?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RustyRoy

@scouterv said:

@rustyroy: How would sitting down with Martian Manhunter or Black Canary for two hours, three times a week get him in trouble? You say he's in control, but if he's always so scared to "cross the line," maybe that's not the case.

You don't see them being brought up because this is a Batman thread. Also, Lex actually does some good with Lex-Corp. Most of his big opponents aren't the constant threat Joker is cause they're off-world. What good does The Joker do?

You think they'd ever write a story where he sits down with MM? And he doesn't even need it. Many superheroes don't cross the line so everyone of them should get help? Batman hasn't crossed the line so he's still in control. I don't see them being brought up anywhere but I see Batman brought up in this thread, gen. discussion, DC comics forums. And these some goods you're talking about are puny compared to the bad he does, he killed more people than Joker, destroyed more properties so does most of Superman's villains. Joker at least gets caught so there are many other people who can kill him, Judges can sentence him to death, cops can kill him, so even if Batman doesn't do it then it doesn't matter but how many people can kill characters like Lex, Norman, Sinestro, Zoom, Brainiac etc.?

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mot killing the Joker really is the stupidest thing he's done

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: They've done plenty of stories, so why not. And the fact he hasn't killed Joker isn't the point. The reason not everyone has to see a therapist is because not everyone had to watch their parents gunned down, before them. That's not something a little boy just shrugs off.

Well then just visit their character specific forums if you wanna talk about other characters.

Here's the difference. Lex is sane, and does what he does for personal gain. Joker is insane and does worse for pleasure. And I'll take a little good in Lex over no good in Joker.

Also, Joker can get caught, but Batman will save him if he's in danger anyway. And you say it doesn't matter, but I'm sure Gordan, Barbra, and Jason would disagree. And as far as judges go, you really think Joker won't get off by reason of insanity?

I'd say a good deal of people. Superman, Shazam, and Spider-Man come to mind.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@rustyroy: They've done plenty of stories, so why not. And the fact he hasn't killed Joker isn't the point. The reason not everyone has to see a therapist is because not everyone had to watch their parents gunned down, before them. That's not something a little boy just shrugs off.

Well then just visit their character specific forums if you wanna talk about other characters.

Here's the difference. Lex is sane, and does what he does for personal gain. Joker is insane and does worse for pleasure. And I'll take a little good in Lex over no good in Joker.

Also, Joker can get caught, but Batman will save him if he's in danger anyway. And you say it doesn't matter, but I'm sure Gordan, Barbra, and Jason would disagree. And as far as judges go, you really think Joker won't get off by reason of insanity?

Many characters saw their parents or loved ones get killed in front of them, they don't go to therapists. And I visit plenty of characters forums and I don't see people talking about 'why doesn't Superman kill Lex, why doesn't Spider-man kill GG'. And you stated the reason why Lex is more evil. And Batman won't save Joker from any danger, he wanted to kill him himself a number of times. And I'm pretty sure Gordon, Barbara and Jason has just as many reason to kill joker, why don't they do it instead of Batman? Even if the judges don't do it, a lot of cops can. See all the people you've mentioned are not normal human, Shazam doesn't have much reason to kill Luthor when Superman's around, Superman is one of the few people who can kill Luthor, when there's a lot of people who can and want to kill the Joker.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@scouterv said:

Many characters saw their parents or loved ones get killed in front of them, they don't go to therapists. And I visit plenty of characters forums and I don't see people talking about 'why doesn't Superman kill Lex, why doesn't Spider-man kill GG'. And you stated the reason why Lex is more evil. And Batman won't save Joker from any danger, he wanted to kill him himself a number of times. And I'm pretty sure Gordon, Barbara and Jason has just as many reason to kill joker, why don't they do it instead of Batman? Even if the judges don't do it, a lot of cops can. See all the people you've mentioned are not normal human, Shazam doesn't have much reason to kill Luthor when Superman's around, Superman is one of the few people who can kill Luthor, when there's a lot of people who can and want to kill the Joker.

So just because other people don't go to a doctor, that makes it correct? You really think Batman is a healthy individual?

If you don't see people asking those questions, go to the forums and ask them yourself if it interests you that much.
    Batman would totally save Joker, because if he can help anyone, he will. He'll knock him out, but he'll save him first. Under The Red Hood was a perfect example, when Jason was trying to kill Joker. Who came to his rescue?

We've already established that Batman will stop them, so why bother? Besides, Barbara is too nice and Gordon is too good. Jason has given up because of Batman, and as for other cops, I'm sure they've tried. But he somehow comes back, if Batman didn't come to his aid.

What does it matter if they're not human? I could have said a host of people could kill Luthor. At his best, he's been trained by Amazons. He's not tough. It's just the way comics have been written. It's why Joker remains alive, despite having his face cut off, being blown up, etc.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

So just because other people don't go to a doctor, that makes it correct? You really think Batman is a healthy individual?

If you don't see people asking those questions, go to the forums and ask them yourself if it interests you that much.

Batman would totally save Joker, because if he can help anyone, he will. He'll knock him out, but he'll save him first. Under The Red Hood was a perfect example, when Jason was trying to kill Joker. Who came to his rescue?

We've already established that Batman will stop them, so why bother? Besides, Barbara is too nice and Gordon is too good. Jason has given up because of Batman, and as for other cops, I'm sure they've tried. But he somehow comes back, if Batman didn't come to his aid.

What does it matter if they're not human? I could have said a host of people could kill Luthor. At his best, he's been trained by Amazons. He's not tough. It's just the way comics have been written. It's why Joker remains alive, despite having his face cut off, being blown up, etc.

Its not incorrect either, why would he go to a doctor anyway? What is his problem really? Does he abuse himself or any other person?

It doesn't interest me, I believe that characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are more than that, they are not judge, jury or executioner. I'm just tired of people who will defend Superman and others but condemn Batman. Do you know how many threads are like this one about Batman? He's the only one who's targeted. According to CV's rule this thread should'v been locked a long time ago.

Batman won't save Joker if the court orders it, he hates him, he'd like to make him better if he could but he won't go out of his way to save the Joker if he's guilty, he himself wanted to kill him many times. You're talking about the movie? Cause I remember him letting Jason kill Joker.

You established that Batman will save him, not me. So Barbara is too nice and Gordon is too good and Batman is very bad? Jason doesn't care about what Batman thinks, he can kill Joker if he wants to but he doesn't, he had the perfect chance of killing Joker but no he wanted to force someone else for the job. I've only seen one cop try to kill Joker, he shot him right in the head and you know what did Batman do? He threw him in the trash cans.

Luthor is one of the most powerful and wealthiest man in DCU, he can buy judges, cops etc. you can name many people who can kill Luthor but can you mention why would they kill him? Joker is more easier to kill and more than one person has reasons to kill him.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@scouterv said:

Its not incorrect either, why would he go to a doctor anyway? What is his problem really? Does he abuse himself or any other person?

It doesn't interest me, I believe that characters like Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are more than that, they are not judge, jury or executioner. I'm just tired of people who will defend Superman and others but condemn Batman. Do you know how many threads are like this one about Batman? He's the only one who's targeted. According to CV's rule this thread should'v been locked a long time ago.

Batman won't save Joker if the court orders it, he hates him, he'd like to make him better if he could but he won't go out of his way to save the Joker if he's guilty, he himself wanted to kill him many times. You're talking about the movie? Cause I remember him letting Jason kill Joker.

You established that Batman will save him, not me. So Barbara is too nice and Gordon is too good and Batman is very bad? Jason doesn't care about what Batman thinks, he can kill Joker if he wants to but he doesn't, he had the perfect chance of killing Joker but no he wanted to force someone else for the job. I've only seen one cop try to kill Joker, he shot him right in the head and you know what did Batman do? He threw him in the trash cans.

Luthor is one of the most powerful and wealthiest man in DCU, he can buy judges, cops etc. you can name many people who can kill Luthor but can you mention why would they kill him? Joker is more easier to kill and more than one person has reasons to kill him.

You could argue he does abuse himself. Like I said, he constantly tries to see how little sleep he can get so he can go running around Gotham, for no other reason than he can't let go of what happened to his parents. As a result, it's become an obsession. An unhealthy obsession.

Well, it's a thread asking what his worst decision was. That's not inherently spiteful. People can and will and have made it so, and I was personally joking (though I do believe Batman is unhealthy.) But that aside, Batman and Superman aren't the same. Batman killing is arguably the more realistic, though less explored of the Batman vs. Superman stories.

The court won't kill him. They can't. You know what they'll do? They'll send him to Arkham, and he'll be back on the streets the next night.

Nobody said Batman was bad. I'd say Barbara is the last person to kill a man, and that's essentially what Batman said about Gordon when he was about to kill him. Batman is just darker, and I think we weren't watching the same movie. In the one I'm thinking, he was about to burn Joker and some mob bosses to a crisp. He was stopped by Batman dropping foam on them.

You already said it. He killed people and destroyed land.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By infantfinite128

@darksideanime: Why hasn't Red Hood killed the Joker yet? Why hasn't anyone in this city killed the Joker? These corrupt cops aren't going to get anything out of letting him live, so why don't they kill him? I don't understand that. If Bane was able to break open Arkham, then someone would have done the same thing to kill the Joker. Batman stands for something, and I don't want him killing, but why won't someone else? Jim Gordon should put him down.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, whenever the topic of whether Batman should kill, everyone immediately goes to the Joker.

What about Ra's al Ghul? The guy arguably has a way higher body count than Joker, and is far more dangerous and insane. Should Batman put him down once and for all and dissolve the League? He definitely should. Will he? Obviously not, since comics, but the point still stands.

Same point goes for most of his other villains. Joker isn't the only one of his rogues deserving of killing, you know.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By RustyRoy

@scouterv said:

You could argue he does abuse himself. Like I said, he constantly tries to see how little sleep he can get so he can go running around Gotham, for no other reason than he can't let go of what happened to his parents. As a result, it's become an obsession. An unhealthy obsession.

Well, it's a thread asking what his worst decision was. That's not inherently spiteful. People can and will and have made it so, and I was personally joking (though I do believe Batman is unhealthy.) But that aside, Batman and Superman aren't the same. Batman killing is arguably the more realistic, though less explored of the Batman vs. Superman stories.

The court won't kill him. They can't. You know what they'll do? They'll send him to Arkham, and he'll be back on the streets the next night.

Nobody said Batman was bad. I'd say Barbara is the last person to kill a man, and that's essentially what Batman said about Gordon when he was about to kill him. Batman is just darker, and I think we weren't watching the same movie. In the one I'm thinking, he was about to burn Joker and some mob bosses to a crisp. He was stopped by Batman dropping foam on them.

You already said it. He killed people and destroyed land.

He sleeps 3-4 hrs a day and takes power naps, I do it when I have exams and even then I'm not nearly as busy as he is, he has to run a company, fight crime and get laid, its not abusing ;). And when you see your parents gunned down in front of you, its not a easy thing to forget, and he doesn't obsess about his parents death, he hardly brings it up, if he had to trade his parents for Gotham and the world he'll trade them in a heartbeat.

I don't think the OP meant this thread to be spiteful, he himself along with some other posters have mentioned some of the bad decisions of Batman which are correct, but other people are accusing him of things that are incorrect and they'll just blame Batman and not the other characters, they'll even defend the other characters. Some of the posters have even mentioned that putting the cape and cowl was his worst decision which is completely incorrect. I don't think Batman is unhealthy, everyone in the world has some problems, he has his too, and mentally he's one of the strongest and most stable mind in the world, he has gone through mindcontrol, mindrape, got his memory wiped out, saw and experienced things that will break most individuals and turn them insane but not Bruce. Yeah Batman and Superman aren't the same and they still work together, Mark Waid explained why, they don't want to see anyone die, that's what they have in common. Batman killing someone goes against everything he believes in, he's inspiration to all, he's got the biggest number of followers in comic books and if he starts killing who's to know that his followers won't follow?

I know but no one blames the court, I have already mentioned a few number of people who could kill the Joker, its not Batman's job to kill the Joker, just like Superman and other heroes, he's there to help others, they're not supposed to take the law on their own hands and become the judge, jury and executioner.

I'm got this info second hand but didn't Babs kill his brother? Gordon isn't a killer but he won't even let Batman kill Joker, he stopped him from doing it before, even when Joker raped and crippled his daughter but no one will blame Gordon, its only Batman's fault. I think we were watching the same movie but you don't remember it very well. In the one scene you're thinking, Joker was burning Black Mask and his henchmen to a crisp and Batman stopped him.

Yeah but not everyone knows about it, Luthor is smart, Joker let's everyone see what he's doing, I don't think Luthor does.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is kinda funny.

I think one of the worst decisions he made was slipping up and letting Ra's Al Ghul getting ahold of his Anti-JLA plans and causing the Tower of Babel storyline.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: actually Bruce did willingly kill ras. He came back yes, but he did try.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: It is incredibly obvious to anyone reading now that your massive Batman fanboyism means you aren't going to listen to any reasonable argument. Accept that your favorite superhero might not be perfect. SPOILERS: he's not actually a real person!!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: It is incredibly obvious to anyone reading now that your massive Batman fanboyism means you aren't going to listen to any reasonable argument. Accept that your favorite superhero might not be perfect. SPOILERS: he's not actually a real person!!

I'm not a Batman fanboy, I accept that he has flaws and agreed to other users when they posted true statements about Batman's bad decisions, I gave very reasonable points to why you are wrong and you have no points to prove me wrong and that's why you are calling me a fanboy, I could'v called you a hater or a hypocrite but I didin't.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There hasn't been a single reasonable argument,or do you legitimately believe" He doesn't kill Joker LOL bad detective/superhero" is a good argument.

This thread was made to question Batman's decisions NOT his character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Dude, have some ****ing self-awareness. Read your own post just and see how you are coming off as a completely irrational fan.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gloombot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Gloombot

It was never Batman's job to kill Joker, it was always Gotham citizen's job to condemn him to death. They never did, always just criminally insane, institutionalize. I think after the first time he escaped it should have been death row in real life courts. Guess the citizens of Gotham are... dense, forgiving, fearful?

You take out Joker, he may be replaced with someone infinitely worse.

For my answer, this scene is one where I really hated being a Batman fan, and all that followed...

No Caption Provided

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Batman-Hush
    No Caption Provided

I love Batman, but I also love it when he gets told off.

KDub_inc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love how people come to the Batman forums just to hate on him. So many people who really don't know much about him but always have one small example of a mistake he made and exclaim. he's the worst!

He's so stupid!

I don't show up on you're favorite heroes forum to Ru stupid shit theyve been written to do in your face get a better hobby guys the Bat-hate gets old :/

KDub_inc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this thread is about his bigger mistake but I mean on the forums in general and people who don't even read batman being experts on his mistakes

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His greatest mistake was never crippling Joker. I mean, I'm fine with him not killing him, but he could at least shatter his spine or something.

@darksideanime said:

@black_arrow: Batman has poor deduction skills.

No, Batman isn't a telepath or omniscient. He is a great detective but If he has no clues and he has a very limited time to find Ra´s, the best thing he can do is revive the Joker.

This.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Telling his mom and dad he wanted to go to the movies...

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf19635a2b53
    deactivated-5bf19635a2b53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a superhero

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57
    deactivated-5c0937ce9ad57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not killing Joker.

Creazion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not killing Joker.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.