Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman= Overrated? Anyone Else?

• 46 results
    LordBeefBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LordBeefBurger

Okay, there are a lot of Batman fans out there, so I realize I'm probably going to get slammed for this. But I think Batman is one of the most overrated "superheroes" of all time. (This is in quotes because of the dictionary definition of superhero. Technically, a superhero has to have superpowers in order to be called a superhero. I totally agree with this by the way.) I just want to see if anyone out there agrees.

1. He's a human. This may be considered "inspiring" to most people, but in my opinion "superheroes" should have superpowers in order to be "super." The dictionary definition is (dictionary.com): "a hero, especially in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers." So, according to this, Batman isn't even a superhero in the first place.

2. Most "superheroes" are believably unrealistic. Batman is not. Superman is an alien from Krypton, which had an old sun. In coming to Earth, his body was given powers because of the radiation from our young sun. Could it happen if Superman were real? Possibly. Wonder Woman is from a race of women who were given powers by Greek goddesses. Could it happen if Wonder Woman and Greek goddesses were real? Yes. Batman, however, is supposedly (I have been told by my friends) the smartest person in the DC universe along with being the greatest fighter in the DC universe. He's also a billionaire. He has also mastered over 100 martial arts? The only way he could be this multi-talented is if he had powers. There's no way an actual human could do all this.

3. He relies on way too much stuff. The Golden Age Batman had a batmobile, batboat, batcyle, and a batplane. I think they got rid of most of those later, but still. His utility belt can do over 10 different things and the Batcave can do a bunch. Adding this to his smarts and fighting abilities, he's getting close to being overpowered for a human.

4. I will admit that he has AWESOME villains. I'm willing to bet that if they got rid of his villains and replaced them with lame ones, Batman would not be as popular as he is today. (Although they obviously are a little overrated too if they haven't killed Batman yet.)

I have more, but those aren't as prominent as these. Does anyone agree?

Rules:

No hating. This is not meant to attack Batman fans. I'm just stating my personal opinion and want to see if anyone agrees.

No cussing. PERIOD.

I don't want to hear that Superman is overpowered. Originally, he only had superspeed, superstrength, indestructibility, and he could jump an 1/8 of a mile. Only later did they add on the other stuff. (I know this is random but I get very tired of hearing it.)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

this has been done to death

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Meh.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Wolverine008

Not very original.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Yawn.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Remind me to read the OP later.

I just want to say real quick.

My personal believe is,

Nothing is Overrated, it is Just that A Lot of Other Things are Underexposed.

(+)

ownagepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ownagepants

Ugh another of these read the first paragraph and got sleepy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So I'm guessing your new to the Vine?

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By _Atomikill_

@lordbeefburger: *places on lap* Son, its time I taught you a little something called fiction...

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Thumbs down.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

10/10 original thread very well done

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@lordbeefburger said:

Okay, there are a lot of Batman fans out there, so I realize I'm probably going to get slammed for this. But I think Batman is one of the most overrated "superheroes" of all time. (This is in quotes because of the dictionary definition of superhero. Technically, a superhero has to have superpowers in order to be called a superhero. I totally agree with this by the way.) I just want to see if anyone out there agrees.

1. He's a human. This may be considered "inspiring" to most people, but in my opinion "superheroes" should have superpowers in order to be "super." The dictionary definition is (dictionary.com): "a hero, especially in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers." So, according to this, Batman isn't even a superhero in the first place.

2. Most "superheroes" are believably unrealistic. Batman is not. Superman is an alien from Krypton, which had an old sun. In coming to Earth, his body was given powers because of the radiation from our young sun. Could it happen if Superman were real? Possibly. Wonder Woman is from a race of women who were given powers by Greek goddesses. Could it happen if Wonder Woman and Greek goddesses were real? Yes. Batman, however, is supposedly (I have been told by my friends) the smartest person in the DC universe along with being the greatest fighter in the DC universe. He's also a billionaire. He has also mastered over 100 martial arts? The only way he could be this multi-talented is if he had powers. There's no way an actual human could do all this.

3. He relies on way too much stuff. The Golden Age Batman had a batmobile, batboat, batcyle, and a batplane. I think they got rid of most of those later, but still. His utility belt can do over 10 different things and the Batcave can do a bunch. Adding this to his smarts and fighting abilities, he's getting close to being overpowered for a human.

4. I will admit that he has AWESOME villains. I'm willing to bet that if they got rid of his villains and replaced them with lame ones, Batman would not be as popular as he is today. (Although they obviously are a little overrated too if they haven't killed Batman yet.)

Rules:

No hating. This is not meant to attack Batman fans. I'm just stating my personal opinion and want to see if anyone agrees.

No cussing. PERIOD.

I don't want to hear that Superman is overpowered. Originally, he only had superspeed, superstrength, indestructibility, and he could jump an 1/8 of a mile. Only later did they add on the other stuff. (I know this is random but I get very tired of hearing it.)

Oh God I just read the OP.

I. His prep is superhero-e

II. His prep is unbelievably realistic or believably unrealistic. He's a super rich kid who traveled the world and has prepared for anything and everything. He does unbelievable feats on the daily. He's the Chuck Norris of comics.

III. His gadgets are his superpowers. Do you know how many superheroes rely on their technology?

IV. No. Villains aside, Batman also has a lot of great stories, great movies, and great games. He would be arguably less popular or arguably less AWEsome if he didn't have such a kick ass rogues gallery but... it wouldn't be that much of a difference IMO.

V. I am not a BatFan, I am not hating, Superman's powers is to defy logic, his one greatest weakness is kryptonite, if a tiny piece is close to him he can die, but he beats a robot who has a kryptnite heart, and raised a Island made out of Kryptnite.

Lastly I don't give a frrrfrfffrfrfrfrfrrfffrrrfrfrffffffff-ROCK! I am aware of the guidelines for having a account on the Vine and I follow the agreement made once I signed up and made an account.

DISREGARD,

One MORE THING

Welcome to ComicVine!

No Caption Provided

(+)

LordBeefBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gularte: I'm actually a girl, just so you can get your context right :)

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol thanks for the laugh ok but really this is silly

1. techicaly you are right he isnt a "superhero" in that he dosnt have super powers but he is a superhero in that he pushes himself well beyond what the limits of humanity and sacrifics all of his being to help thous in need and thus becomes a symbol a goal to strive for a person to be ideolized so he becomes a superhero not becuase what he can do but what he does like all heros super or not

2. Iam not some one who sees Batman as realistic he is the penical of human ability he repersents what we can be at our very best which is why he is so awsome at everything

3. His use of "stuff" becuase they allow the quickest solution to his goals. its like complaining Superman uses his powers to much

4. you can say this about every character what would Superman be without Lex or for a more classical one what would Sherlock be with out Moriarty. Characters become great when they are challanged if the villian is lame of course they character will be lame.Yet again you could say that about any villain is Lex overrated becuase he hasnt killed Superman yet they awnser is no he isnt.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My first instinct is to drag my face across the keyboard but....ehh, the OP obviously is just a little misguided, and perhaps new to the world of superhero comics.

AminoAcidMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AminoAcidMan

Didn't read it after number 1. As @danhimself said "this has been done to death"

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CheeseSticks

What a surprise, another Batman hate thread wrote by someone with a Superman avatar. The saltiness from Supes fanboy toward Batman needs to stop. It's not even original, grow up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I'll say it again that "overrated" in 99% of cases means "it's popular but I don't like it."

And I'm not even a Batman fan.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
    Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rules:

No cussing. PERIOD.

1. Semantics. Batman is a HERO. Period. That's all that matters.

2. Yeah, this is where things get a little sketchy. I mentioned this in another thread, how some misguided fans make him out to be the most realistic character in comics just because he's only human with no superpowers. But really, he's a comic book character. He's not meant to be realistic. Oh, and let me throw your words right back at you. You said, "I don't want to hear that Superman is overpowered. Originally, he only had superspeed, superstrength, indestructibility, and he could jump an 1/8 of a mile. Only later did they add on the other stuff." It's the same thing with Batman. He wasn't originally this unbelievably superhuman person. It just happened over the course of time.

3. Okay, so he relies on a lot of gadgets. I don't really see why that should be a problem. His belt contains the stuff he uses most often -- batarangs, grapple, lock pick, smoke bombs, bugs/tracking devices, etc. Nothing unusual about that. It's not like he actually carries around some shark-repellant in there or some other out-of-this-world thingamajig (unless I'm missing something). And he didn't get his smarts and fighting abilities overnight. He had to train hard almost his entire life to acquire them. However, I do agree that he can be portrayed as Batgod sometimes, this perfect being who can seemingly do anything, in which case I just zone out and lose interest. I don't hate it or anything. I just think it's boring and don't find it nearly as compelling and fascinating as regular Batman.

4. Yes, Batman's rogues are some of the best, most memorable villains you'll find anywhere. But what makes you say he's overrated because of that? If anything, I think Batman and his rogues are a match made in heaven (or hell, but you know what I mean). And like I also posted elsewhere, these villains aren't just about killing. Honestly, why do some people think that a villain is lousy/overrated if they don't kill the hero? That's why they're so complex. Joker doesn't want to kill Batman, he wants to make him crazy. Bane wants Batman to suffer, knowing he's the one man who broke him. Two-Face is more of a frenemy than an all-out villain; Bruce's friend Harvey still exists inside him. Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul, Arnold Wesker/Scarface, even Babydoll -- they're all amazingly complex and psychologically imbalanced.

Avatar image for jordanisntsuper
    JordanIsntSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree I think he is overrated but he's still a great character. He also has the worst fan-base of any super hero but that's not batman's fault.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

I don't even have words for this paragraph. If you're going to get "slammed" for anything, it should be for how utterly nonsensical this is.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Completely agree.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree I think he is overrated but he's still a great character. He also has the worst fan-base of any super hero but that's not batman's fault.

It's Bruce Timm's, Frank Miller's and Christopher Nolan's faults.

Crazy_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*yawn*

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jordanisntsuper: HAHAHAHA i will take some jackass saying"He's the Goddamn Batman" over Superman fans who only bitch about Batman everday

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Dud317
    @lordbeefburger said:

1) Forget that you're an omniscient reader for a minute and remember that only a few of Batman's allies (and perhaps a few villains) know that he is only a human with no "super" powers.

2) Batman isn't the 'smartest person in the DC universe'. That would be (arguably) Lex Luthor or Michael Holt (Mister Terrific). Batman is the 'World's Greatest Detective.' As far as his accomplishments, one cannot argue the billionaire aspect as he came into that money, he did not earn it, he only maintains it. While I respect your opinion, saying that a person that is highly skilled in combat is unbelievably unrealistic, especially by way of comparison, is a little silly.

3) As far as his gadgets, it's not like he sits in the Batcave and has remote control everything. He's in the field doing stuff. Wouldn't you like an edge, especially if you were fighting people with actual powers.

4) Saying the villains are overrated if they haven't killed Batman yet is more of a classic storytelling mechanism. These are things we as readers or viewers pass aside for sake of the overall story. It's similar to the reason why cartoon characters don't age, or change clothes. Keep the status quo. However, Elseworld stories can break all the rules.

@xwraith said:

I'll say it again that "overrated" in 99% of cases means "it's popular but I don't like it."

And I'm not even a Batman fan.

Very well said. For example, It's like when people say The Beatles suck, while they clearly don't. What they mean to say is, I don't like The Beatles. Just because something may not be your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's overrated.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By cameron83

@veshark said:

My first instinct is to drag my face across the keyboard but....ehh, the OP obviously is just a little misguided, and perhaps new to the world of superhero comics.

This.

This has been done to death and I don't want to regurgitate everything I said regarding "overrated".

Not just the concept of "overrated",but the flaws in all of his points.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By PeppeyHare

OP also said this about spider-man

"1. He has bug powers? Seriously? People hate spiders. Why would you make a superhero out of one? Stan Lee obviously has a thing for bugs, considering that he created Ant-Man and Wasp also.

2. The newer movies just show how terrible he is. The Amazing Spiderman was so lame I didn't even finish it. I almost laughed out loud when I found out they were more like the comics than the old ones.

3. I rate my superheroes by how they would stand up against Superman. Spiderman wouldn't have a chance, therefore he is lame."

Obvious troll

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahh and here's another one

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

This is silly, if you don't Batman then don't. But some of us love him so deal with it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

I wish there was a like button in CV

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all these comic book characters are fake kid stuff... Batman is real. NOW GO TO YA ROOM!!!!!!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

First thing's first,this has been done so many times and not for Batman only but for every superhero or character as a whole.Second,Batman is a symbol for me for how hard it can it be for a human to be a superhero among the world of gods like Superman,Wonder Woman,Martian Manhunter and others and still succeed in being in one league with them.But this is a thing that has been said too many times for it to be arugued or even discussed.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#37  Edited By batmannflash

LOLOLOL

Avatar image for jordanisntsuper
    JordanIsntSuper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"2. Most "superheroes" are believably unrealistic. Batman is not. Superman is an alien from Krypton, which had an old sun. In coming to Earth, his body was given powers because of the radiation from our young sun. Could it happen if Superman were real? Possibly. Wonder Woman is from a race of women who were given powers by Greek goddesses. Could it happen if Wonder Woman and Greek goddesses were real? Yes. Batman, however, is supposedly (I have been told by my friends) the smartest person in the DC universe along with being the greatest fighter in the DC universe. He's also a billionaire. He has also mastered over 100 martial arts? The only way he could be this multi-talented is if he had powers. There's no way an actual human could do all this."

This is a good point. It's too bad that no one gave a good response to it besides "hurrr you're a troll". I like batman but I would like him even more if they had just made him super in some way (maybe like super intellect so he can master all of those abilities) OR taken away some of his abilities like maybe he doesn't know EVERY martial arts known to man.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By PunyParker

No.He's not.

No Caption Provided

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

i love you veshark. between what you say and your profile pic, you always brighten up my day.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
    Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"2. Most "superheroes" are believably unrealistic. Batman is not. Superman is an alien from Krypton, which had an old sun. In coming to Earth, his body was given powers because of the radiation from our young sun. Could it happen if Superman were real? Possibly. Wonder Woman is from a race of women who were given powers by Greek goddesses. Could it happen if Wonder Woman and Greek goddesses were real? Yes. Batman, however, is supposedly (I have been told by my friends) the smartest person in the DC universe along with being the greatest fighter in the DC universe. He's also a billionaire. He has also mastered over 100 martial arts? The only way he could be this multi-talented is if he had powers. There's no way an actual human could do all this."

This is a good point. It's too bad that no one gave a good response to it besides "hurrr you're a troll". I like batman but I would like him even more if they had just made him super in some way (maybe like super intellect so he can master all of those abilities) OR taken away some of his abilities like maybe he doesn't know EVERY martial arts known to man.

I prefer the second option. I don't want him super in any way. Oh, and he doesn't know EVERY martial arts known to man, only about 127 of them. ;P

The thing is, when Batman is in his own universe, it's easier to buy that he's this exceptional human who can do a whole lot of awesome stuff. Once you take him out of there and plop him into a world where superpowered characters exist, then it becomes harder to believe that he's only human and can do half the things writers make him do. They might as well just give him superpowers anytime that happens.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a perfectly valid opinion. I suggest you don't read the books. But I don't think you're going to convince anybody that a character they like is "overrated".

I am not a huge batman fan, but for example I don't agree on most of these points.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MasterDetective

nolan is overrated and sucks hard

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

nolan is overrated and sucks hard

This has nothing to do with Nolan but okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf19635a2b53
    deactivated-5bf19635a2b53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he is and so is Supes and Spidey

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.