Batman is a coward for not killing

• 65 results
#51 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

No, we the audience are cowards for not wanting new villains, thus forcing writers to make Batman keep them alive.

#52 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Blame the courts.

#53 Posted by username12345 (4583 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is following his code of conduct. When did he ever forced it on anyone but those who he trained? If a court ruled Joker not insane and guilty and decided he was to be punished by death, Batman would not break him out of the damn prison, he would make sure the man doesn't escape. Your saying he should make himself Judge, Jury and Executioner? That seems like a pretty bad idea.

By the way, is there gonna be a superman thread like this as well? I've already read a Wonder Woman thread with similiar contend today.

No Caption Provided

#54 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

?

#55 Posted by JayAaerow (574 posts) - - Show Bio

Come on, OP. Anyone reading a Batman story knows the moral dilemmas of why Batman doesn't kill. He's trying to save people, not scare them shitless by being just like the mob bosses. Just because he's a hero doesn't make it right to kill. Being justified, no matter how noble, doesn't make any act noble. The Mob Bosses feel so justified in what they do.

Batman not killing people isn't what is actually hurting Gotham. It's corruption. Unlike the average hero, Gotham is corrupted. The real reason it's all a loop is not Batman, but the law enforcement itself. When it comes to Joker and all the bosses, man the GCPD needs to get their butts pushed cause of the corruption. They have to salvage the good cops they can. When GCPD has to hunt Batman, it's all on! Corruption kicks in and they all go all out. It's a different ballgame.

Batman knows darn well killing makes him look bad and make him look no different then the bad guys. He's also aiming to give cops a fighting chance to do their actual job without the scare of someone like Black Mask chopping him to bits with a chainsaw. He's not Red Hood or Punisher. You have character that do the entire judge, jury, and executioner routine and take law into their own hands.

#56 Posted by tec79 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Not killing is simply Batman seeking justice and attempting to set an example. The simplest reason is Gordon would never allow him to operate and would bring him to justice. Batman not killing makes him a far more interesting character also he has battled corruption at all levels in many stories over the years. Superman executed three Kryptonians during John Byrnes run, that decision lead him down a path of depression and questioning himself. Those issues were explored in subsequent stories.

#57 Edited by MiniSaladFresh (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sort of torn on this subject. In many ways I agree with Batman, killing anyone is wrong and it would bring Batman down to the level of the criminals he fights. It goes against his moral code in every way and as much as he hates those people, especially the Joker, he will never kill them. That takes guts, so he definitely isn't a coward for not killing people, in fact it kind of makes him stronger.

However, that doesn't make him right. Well it does in some ways, but not in others. By not killing criminals, Batman is staying true to his ideology, not compromising his morality, and refusing to become like them. He's never going to allow himself to be a murderer, even though he may want to, because he has the strength the stay good... but that's the problem. He doesn't kill because he's scared of what that will do to him, he's scared of breaking his code, he's scared that he will become like them - in other words, the reason he doesn't kill is because he's selfish.

Think about it - if Batman kills the Joker, he breaks his own rules, he completely destroys everything he believes in and everything he was fighting for becomes a lie. BUT... Joker is dead, and hundreds, maybe thousands of lives will be saved because of that. So basically by not killing Joker, Batman is sacrificing innocent lives just so he doesn't have to get his hands dirty. Just because he can't live with himself as a killer.

So really it could be argued both ways, but that's why I love Batman; he's at peak human physical condition, he's a genius, he's rich, he's handsome... but he's far from perfect. He seems perfect, but he has some very deep issues, which is pretty interesting to me.

And also, y'know, DC aren't gonna kill off their most popular villains so they need some excuse right?

#58 Posted by Lvenger (36338 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
#59 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (10331 posts) - - Show Bio

@redwingx said:
@untouchable12 said:

He kills a villain Someone will take his place, I get what you're saying but it does take some guts to not kill someone you hate so much. Besides there are some other heroes who follow the no kill rule

You can blame DC for that.

Technically, you can blame DC for anything Batman does. Since, you know, he's their character...

#60 Posted by Bat_SAINT (959 posts) - - Show Bio

Isaiah 55:8-9

Avatar image for stop_being_busy
#61 Edited by Stop_Being_Busy (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is not a coward for not killing. He doesn't kill because it would lower him to their level. He would be considered a criminal for one swift action. However Jason did point out he doesn't do much quite a few times. Batman: Under The Red Hood is a good example of this. Here Batman explains why he doesn't kill.

here are two links to watch it for free:

http://putlocker.is/watch-batman-under-the-red-hood-online-free-putlocker.html

http://www.animeflavor.com/node/855

Non of the embed video of this site is working for me. :( Thats why i am using an another site to watch movie https://10starmovie.me/watch-batman-under-the-red-hood-2010-online.html

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
#62 Posted by TheHeaven_Guardian10 (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sort of torn on this subject. In many ways I agree with Batman, killing anyone is wrong and it would bring Batman down to the level of the criminals he fights. It goes against his moral code in every way and as much as he hates those people, especially the Joker, he will never kill them. That takes guts, so he definitely isn't a coward for not killing people, in fact it kind of makes him stronger.

However, that doesn't make him right. Well it does in some ways, but not in others. By not killing criminals, Batman is staying true to his ideology, not compromising his morality, and refusing to become like them. He's never going to allow himself to be a murderer, even though he may want to, because he has the strength the stay good... but that's the problem. He doesn't kill because he's scared of what that will do to him, he's scared of breaking his code, he's scared that he will become like them - in other words, the reason he doesn't kill is because he's selfish.

Think about it - if Batman kills the Joker, he breaks his own rules, he completely destroys everything he believes in and everything he was fighting for becomes a lie. BUT... Joker is dead, and hundreds, maybe thousands of lives will be saved because of that. So basically by not killing Joker, Batman is sacrificing innocent lives just so he doesn't have to get his hands dirty. Just because he can't live with himself as a killer.

So really it could be argued both ways, but that's why I love Batman; he's at peak human physical condition, he's a genius, he's rich, he's handsome... but he's far from perfect. He seems perfect, but he has some very deep issues, which is pretty interesting to me.

And also, y'know, DC aren't gonna kill off their most popular villains so they need some excuse right?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf19635a2b53
#65 Posted by deactivated-5bf19635a2b53 (50 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Superman are both cowards

#69 Edited by kmb501 (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's most dangerous rogues, including the Joker, have a legitimate plea of insanity in their story universe. It would be morally wrong, ironically, for Batman to kill them because they are not aware / able to control their own actions to the degree required to be legally responsible for them. That leaves Arkham Asylum, Blackgate Prison, and the people of Gotham responsible for all of the murders and crazy stuff that happens in Gotham.

Plus, Batman and the Justice League explored the possibility of lobotomizing their most dangerous foes and decided that it was cruel to take away their freedom of choice.

Batman has options; he could give Joker an indigo ring and force him to join the compassion lantern corps instead of taking him back to Arkham, but he doesn't...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.