Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@tdk_1997 said:

King’s Batman managed to hit a new low. I’m impressed. I don’t think any other writer has been hyping up his story as much as King, changing it constantly as King, in order to deliver the most anti-climatic twists and developments. Glad that DC decided to sack him prematurely because it really would have been a big pain in the ass to see him go for another 20 issues.

I honestly hope that Batman and Catwoman fails miserably as well, ao DC can truly say “Hey, man, listen! Batman is off limits for you from now on”.

Justice League, however, was a bit better than Batman this week. Slightly disappointed by this issue since last arc was just incredibly interesting and well drawn. Of course this is just the first part of the new storyline but it feels like a step back. However, the interiors continue to be beautiful.

Oh look, Ra's al Ghul's personal guard Death in the desert that we've never heard of and never will after this lol and ofcourse just like Tynions League of Shadows there's nothing more to them other than being ordinary ninjas but the creators make it sound like they created formidable villains.

The JL issue was written by Tynion, his issues have been subpar which is par the course.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@entropy_aegis: Yeah, with King and Tynion you always learn about some teams and secrets that you’ve literally never even heard of. Also, Thomas Wayne implying that Bruce is nowhere as good as him and that is why he managed to hear the ninjas coming was laughable.

Well, to be honest so far the issues of Tynion have been the best imo, apart from Sixth Dimension arc which was simply beautiful.

What I don’t like about the book is the way Tynion and Snyder have been writing J’onn. He is taking a central stage but just as in the animated series he’s just too boring and passive. Whenever I am reading his inner monologue or the narrator who is explaining something that has to do with J’onn I am literally falling asleep.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now, apparently Batman #74 and #75 were pushed back a week each, so King might be doing further changes to his story.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Batman Damned was a damned waste of time.

I loved the homage to Batman kicking the Spectre in today's Tec lol.

I'd also like to add that a little something caught my eye. An artist named Karl Mostert has been posting Deathstroke designs on Twitter. Its for some project but the intriguing aspect of the designs are the Batman influences. All of them have Slade wearing a belt with the Bat symbol on it. In one Slade is rocking the Bat cape and he has Batman's gauntlets in all of them as well. Now this guy doesn't seem to be a regular artist but he did tag a DC bigwig named Ben Abernathy and said that he's allowed to show the designs now. I'm defintely curious.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4355  Edited By Black_Arrow

While a bit sloppy in some places, I really liked the art in today's issue of Tec. It had a nineties vibe but in the good sense, I thought It look really cool.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4356  Edited By ZariusII

Ha, well that's certainly a creative way of having Harley listen to Lex's offer while keeping her character free of consequences...

she reads the last page of the latest issue of her book to her sick mother The whole thing is just a story to her!

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catwoman:

Consider yourself cock-blocked James! Go on, Selina

And man, two months before we see Selina accept or reject what Lex is offering? I think she'll turn it down, since I get the feeling Lois will be accepting the offer (as part of Bendis attempting to prove the Super-Family can overcome all the drama) and they'll need at least one major love interest to be more resistant to it

But in all honesty, this was a mess this issue...it read like Jones skipped a couple of issues or two in her story and is rushing towards a conclusion so they can tie things into King's run...I hate to think what the book will look like when Batman/Catwoman starts...if the book even exists at all by that point

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depite being a Bat heavy week I still found it quite dull.

I dont care about King at all now and am just ready for him to move on now. I dont care enough to even hate it.

Tec was obviously filler

Event Leviathan should be called Talking Event

The only reason I'm even posting is because apparantely its not just King who is writing Knightfall 2. Murphy has posted art for a new Azbat armor on Twitter. 2019, the new 1993.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4359  Edited By entropy_aegis

And DC has just lost it, there's a new Joker series under the Black Label format coming out in October.

https://screenrant.com/joker-killer-smile-dc-comic-mature/

Not only is the overexposure itself obnoxious but the unoriginal nature of these last few announcements is infuriating.

As if we need 2 books about how Harley met Joker running concurrently. As if we need another civilian foolishly entering the Joker's life and getting more than he bargained for. It really goes to show the importance of editorial sanction because left to their own devices our industry's top writers are only capable of regurgitating the same classic stories that they loved when they were fans. The only difference is added violence, profanity and nudity.

So far Snyder is the only one who seems to be making good use of the Black Label format. Everyone else is just producing edgy copies of superior work.

Joker is also getting a Year of the Villain one shot tie inn in October lol.

jake_fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@entropy_aegis: Read issue 1 of Event Leviathan and nothing happened. (Just like the so called special issue) just couldn’t bring myself to buy issue 2.

Still need to read the Tec issues with Spectre.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And DC is releasing one shot Dark Multiverse versions of classic stories similar to Marvel's What Ifs.

First up we have Knightfall and Death of Superman.

Knightfall is co-written by Snyder(lol) and Higgins. It will feature JPV vs Son of Bane.

We'll get Judas Contract, Blackest Night etc in the following months.

Cover art here

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-scott-snyder-batman-knightfall/

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch are teaming up for a 12 issue Batman limited series starting October. Its called "The Batman's Grave". Excited for this.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/the-batmans-grave/

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4363  Edited By OrangeBat

@entropy_aegis: I'm really sick of DC trying to cash off their old hits. Although I'm somewhat surprised that Snyder has seemingly managed to write a Batman story without The Joker in it.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read Batman#75, and what a disappointment...not much of Bruce in the whole story, and when he does appear, he gets his butt kicked by two random thugs and needs saving by Selina,who randomly shows up (where does this fit into her ongoing?), and of course, this being King, she's back to "Hi Bat" and insisting they met on the street. The whole premise is a rip off of The Dark Knight Rises with the criminals running Gotham too

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4365  Edited By entropy_aegis

What I feared most about this storyline was that it seemed to me that Bane would be in it so little. The first issue only strengthened my fears as Bane was only in it for one page.

Most of it was devoted to Thomas whom I'm sick of already and Gotham Girl. Future issues seem to tilt in favor of Batcat.

While I get Batcat but trying to salvage Thomas and GG at this point when its Bane's turn to shine just pisses me off. Thomas should've died in that f*cking pit and Gotham Girl should have been confined to limbo.

Further more they're just outsiders in what is a deeply personal story of love and enmity between street level characters. A mad daddy from another universe and a crazy Supergirl wannabe are so out of place here that its not even funny. Tom King's blantant refusal to address various questions surrounding them is equally irksome. To this day we dont know how Thomas jumped universes and encountered Bane, we dont know why he's playing along and we've yet to cover Gotham Girl's , heel turn, motivation, source of powers and alliance with Bane.

Beyond that King jumps over important details as usual. Last we saw Thomas and Bruce they were in a desert. Now Bruce is wandering in a snowy mountain where he just bumps in to Catwoman while Thomas is in Gotham playing dress up.

Watching the villains role playing was fun at the least.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4366  Edited By entropy_aegis

Well I just saw the Hush animated film and crap it was a vast improvement over the source material. I know many purists will disagree because the film is set in the very mixed animated continuity and because they think these stories are holy grails that should remain intact word to word but I'm in obvious disagreement. I dont think there's any story about Batman after the 90's that is truly genre defining or pushes story telling in new and interesting ways save maybe some portions of Morrison's run and Busiek's Creature of the Night which in turn was inspired by Busiek's Superman story in the first place. So stories like Court of Owls or Hush are not some untouchable masterpieces. Infact they're just run of the mill pop corn flick stories with massive flaws hidden behind fan service, art and "accessibility" (they were someone's first Batman comic and therefore must be special).

The biggest improvement is that Riddler is Hush...hahaha. Thomas Elliot was really just a bum all along.This was a terrific showing for the Riddler and he was actually pretty involved as Hush. Joker excluded the other villains got involved by their own free will, they were not stupid pawns. Ofcourse he was killed as has been the tradition of lead villains in this universe, especially if they know Batman's secret. Crime really does not pay in this universe. Still I'm grateful that Riddler for once got his time to shine.

Thomas Elliot has been a bad character since his inception and its going to amuse me to see people on internet throwing a tantrum about his honor being defiled. The movie reducing him to Riddler's unwitting pawn was ironically sweet in my opinion. Bad characters should be rewarded with bad treatment. Hopefully this puts the lid on him and characters like him. Even Heart of Hush can be reinterpreted with someone like Hugo Strange and Mr Freeze as the main villains.

It keeps the Bat/Cat stuff intact and arguably enhances it, so the biggest factor for its popularity and status is also intact.

Characters were largely not wasted, I hate how they substituted Bane for Croc even if they did give an explanation but there wasn't a deluge of unnecessary cameos like in the comic. Shiva was there for example but not to get chaired in the back.

Tim Drake fans moaning about Damian should take comfort in the fact that Damian only had a minute of screen time and it was a video conversation with Bruce. So Damian didn't steal Tim's role, not like Tim had much of it to even begin with. Ofcourse in that minute Damian showed more personality than Tim ever did in almost 2 seasons of Young Justice lol.

The third act obviously had big Bond film type set which is common in these films and have provided the biggest source of departure from the source material time and again but its understandable as they're supposed to be pop corn action flicks.

The major drawbacks imo are:

Bane as I noted, really sucks he was in this.

Indirectly they did manage to overpower Damian, pit enhanced Riddler was more than a match for Batman and also fought Bruce and Selina simultaneously. Damian if one remembers fought pit enhanced Deathstroke blow for blow lol. Also I cant help but wonder that Damian wasn't given Tim's role because Tim got his ass kicked by Selina and Jason in the comic.

Using Elliot's corpse is nowhere near as effective as resurrected Jason.

All things considered, it took the 2 biggest flaws of Hush which are the mystery and Elliot and vastly improved upon them.

Next up we have:

Superman: Red Son, yay

JLD: Apokolips War...eh

Superman: Man of Tomorrow, an original story, cautiously optimistic.

No Batman film for next year but there's a Death in the Family short coming. Atleast now people wont complain about Batman getting all the animated film, now they'll complain about Superman for once HA.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4367  Edited By entropy_aegis

Well some Bat related points from SDCC that I'd like to drop.

A new Birds of Prey ongoing from Azz that heavily leans on the film is coming. Not interested to be honest.

Snyder called Damian the perfect evolution of Batman...because he has no emotional connections. Did he both praise and throw shade at the character?

Tom King won big at the Eisners.

Lemire and Garcia made me somewhat more interested in their Joker projects and maybe I'll relent and get Lemire's because atleast its only 3 issues.

Nothing else really jumps out from the comic panels yet.

The tv shows info I've gathered is that:

Pennyworth is getting really good reviews. Its actors, tone, and production values have drawn lot of praise. Its been compared to James Bond and I think we might have a hit here. Its only 10 episodes long too so the season is going to be tight.

Batwoman on the other hand has drawn a very mixed response. Some reviews I've come across have torn it apart. The showrunner says she wont use the Bat villains that Arrow used but will use other villains that Arrow didn't. First up is Hush...poor Tommy, most characters would be considered lucky if they appeared in a tv show and animated film on the same year. Not this guy though. In any event Hush's presence pretty much confirms that he wont be in the Batman film at the least as the show runner herself clarified that BOP prevents them from using Renee Montoya . So by the set principles Joker wont be used, al Ghul's wont be used, BOP and Batman film villains wont be used, Bane most likely wont be used either as the Gotham showrunners had to beg for him for years and only got him because they were on their final season. Dick, Jason and Slade are on Titans so my favorites seem to be shielded from that crappy show at the moment.

First proper look at Deathstroke. Looks more like Deadshot tbh and the season premieres on 6th September which is much earlier than I expected.

No Caption Provided

Harley Quinn trailer

Hate to say it but this looks good and fun, visually it comes across as much more impressive than Young Justice and DC Animation of late. YJ has also gotten another season.

I skimmed through CW show panels and dear lord I cant believe I ever liked those. Every bit of info makes me cringe. They're bringing back long dead characters on Arrow and Diggle's son is future Deathstroke or something. Brandon Routh will be playing Kingdom Come Superman...alongside Tyler's regular Superman. On what world can Brandon pass off as an older version of Tyler?

The Flash is introducing Godspeed and Bloodwork, these guys only made their debut in the last 2-3 years. Talk about scraping at the bottom of the barrel. The Anti-Monitor and Monitor are played by the same guy and the Anti-Monitor is only a darker version of Monitor. Supergirl's main villain is Leviathan...wtf? obviously they cant use Morrison's Batman run and Bendis isn't even done with his story. The shows have sunk to levels that are staggeringly unimaginable. They've lost any ounce of creativity, all they rely on and have relied on for years are crossovers, which new character that they can introduce and deliberate controversies that puts them on the news. Certainly not even its fans can vouch for Arrowverses quality or story telling triumphs'.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I'll agree that he looks a bit too Deadshot-y but still looks decent.

Glad YJ is getting another season because they have so many things going on, they would never be able to deal with all of them in a satisfying way in just this season.

They could always apply make-up to Routh or other stuff like this, like they did to Amell in the past. Didn't look that good but still.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year at SDCC DC's announcements literally sucked majorly. Both comic book world and cinematic/TV world.

At least I am happy that Young Justice is getting another season and that Deathstroke looks decent enough for me to care.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: The TV and animation departments delivered news and dropped reveals, its just most of those were tied to the awful CW verse but they tried at the least. So they put a decent showing on those fronts.

The comic staff should be ashamed. They've had a dozen panels and all they did was blab about their first comic, their favorite Robin, Grant Morrison's advice(if I hear Snyder repeat it again so help me). This non sense has been going on for years now. These things should be reserved for creator spotlight panels not company project panels.

The films seem to have given up altogether. MCU slaughtered them. They made even Shang Chi look appealing and they've got Jolie, Hayek, Portman etc. WB needs to step up big time.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

Yeah, what I meant was that whatever DC dropped was literally blown away by a Marvel announcement. Even the animated goods from DC and the news regarding their shows which are on their streaming service were nothing compared to what Marvel has in store. Young Justice, Titans, Doom Patrol and the upcoming Harley Quinn, all shows which I love or are showing promise didn't manage to excite me compared to what Marvel had to offer.

From a comic book point of view I don't even want to comment on the announcements...or the lack of ones actually. Biggest announcements was the broadness of Year of the Villain and the biggest books which were announced were Birds of Prey and Strange Adventures...

DC and WB need to take drastic measures if they even want to be considered as contenders to the MCU and Marvel next year.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4372  Edited By ZariusII

Marvel movies are often 90% crap. I don't sweat their woke rubbish at all. DC have it in the bag with their tv content, they'll always deliver there.

Comics are another story. Marvel definitely came across better here, I have my misgivings already about Hickman's X-Men though

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: Regardless, the MCU is a powerhouse franchise. The only reason Marvel can even make a film about guy like Shang Chi and expect it to turn profit is because of the strength of the brand. You think WB can proceed with Richard Dragon?

They're confident in their properties and unveiled a whole slate. Over at WB all I see in uncertainty. Uncertainty about their streaming service which puts YJ,HQ, Titans and Doom Patrol at risk. Swamp Thing has already been canned. Infact by the time Marvel unveils their service there's a good chance DCU will have been cancelled. Even promising shows like Pennyworth and Watchmen dont look as if they will have staying power. I dont even want to talk about films, what a mess they've made. Serve them right for letting hack Snyder have full reign.

The only certainty seems to come from those shit CW shows.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: They had interesting stuff on the comics end. They could have made it competitive.

Lemire's Joker and Question Black Label books

Harley/Joker Black Label book

BOP with Azz

Dark Multiverse line starting with Knightfall and DOS.

But these were announced in the weeks leading to SDCC and King's Adam Strange book was announced only because King won an Eisner, in other words too late. They could have also given atleast a tentative release date for 3 Jokers and shown stuff about the president Superman arc. Maybe some teases from City of Bane and Leviathan. Instead we got nothing.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys let's be honest, Marvel is rule the market totally, Marvel Studios is became one of the most powerful house around these times, if they can make a movie about Shang-Chi, a stranger character completely for the masses, means they have won all. With Disney+? New tv series are coming too, they have monopolized completely the comics movies market.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I don't really consider all of the Joker and Harley books as anything to be excited about. It can be taken more as an another attempt to shove those characters down your throat, so you can get even sicker of them.

Lemire's Joker is interesting, no doubt about it. However, compared to Marvel's announcements it just fell down short to the finish line.

Azzarello's BoP book is going to be lackluster, mediocre, average, whatever adjective you want to pick to describe it best. It's up to you. An year ago they thought that Suicide Squad 2 is a big thing as a movie and they were going to relaunch that title with him on board, but because the reboot of the movie is a long time away they decided to put him on a Birds of Prey book because the movie is around the corner. Bad move because Azzarello has been on a bad streak for quite some time and I don't think anyone gets excited anymore when they hear that he is going to write something.

Strange Adventures was a "big" announcement because apparently King will continue his series of books which concentrate on characters which are not as popular anymore and he will tackle real life issues and disorders. If it's something like his Omega Men or Vision - I am on board, but I feel it will be another Heroes in Crisis.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: You make a good point about the BOP and SS switcheroo. Didn't realize it but makes a lot of sense.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4378  Edited By TDK_1997

@entropy_aegis: I realized it a bit after it was announced.

Also, it's a pretty weak creative team. We will see at least 3-4 artistic shifts in the very first 2 or 3 arcs. Lupacchino is a weak artist and she works rather slow.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4379  Edited By entropy_aegis

New solicits are out for October and for some reason November's YOTV tie inn books which are therefore significant in number.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solicitations-october-2019/

Batman:Creature of the Night is coming out FINALLY.

Last Knight on Earth was not solicited for last month nor this one. These delays are stupid.

Dear lord, Romita on Batman? Really? I dont even hate the guy but him, Mann and Janin together account for 5 issues of City of Bane. Also he's working Superman with Bendis in November and ofcourse Superman: Year One so his work is bound to be rushed.What the hell was Tony Daniel doing for the last 8 months? I hope the final physical confrontation between Batman and Bane is drawn by Daniel. The solicits make it sound like Thomas Wayne will betray Bane when Bane drags Damian in to this and then Bane kills him which will trigger Gotham Girl's betrayal.

I dont follow Outsiders but Duke Thomas as a follower of Ra's in a new League? Really DC? Well going by history Bat characters who have faced similar situations have fared terribly. Its an end of the road plot line. It tanked the sales of Jason's book, Cassandra Cain got ruined and Tim got rebooted soon after he was used in a similar plot line. It also marked the beginning of Arrow going down the toilet.

I thought Tec with Mr Freeze was going to bore me but now the arc finally has my attention. Go on Tomasi, pull the trigger man.

The identity of Leviathan is revealed...um yay I guess.

Everything about the Batman Who Laughd and his infected characters plot sounds so stupid. The characters who're getting infected all have their solo books. Does anyone seriously believe any of this matters?

On a side note the Supergirl book has become event fodder. First it has a crossover with Superman, then Event Leviathan then Batman/Superman/YOTV. The book seems to have no independant direction.

Teen Titans finally reveals the Other and the traitor, about time.

William Cobb is laying the smackdown on the Nightwings. Dick's Talon outfit is fantastic.

Losing interest in the Red Hood book, Lobdell should either write a solo Jason or bring back Bizarro and Artemis. The shitty New 52 supporting characters should've stayed in the New 52.

Super Sons reunion in Superman.

A bunch of unremarkable looking annuals for Outsiders, Batman and Nightwing. A horror special with a Red Rain Batman short story.

City of Bane apparantely is going to crossover with Harley and Ivy.

Azrael gets a new evil look as Darkseid's pawn in JLO.

Gotham City Monsters looks tempting

Deathstroke on the verge of ending(cries).

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine Selina accepting Lex's offer means they'll be drama in Bat/Cat when City of Bane is over.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't looking forward to Tec but ended up really enjoying it, was a very fun Joker one off. This is how Joker should be written.

Sean Murphy Interview

About why he's using JPV and what to expect

I based Jean-Paul Valley after John Rambo in First Blood — a misunderstood veteran who takes it too far. Azrael's very much the antagonist, but his PTSD and his “warrior culture” code of ethics makes him more empathetic than other villains.

I loved reading [classic Batman storyline] Knightfall back in the 90s, and I really wanted to revisit the idea and push it even further than before.

And obviously I wanted to draw fire-swords.

I actually planned on creating a new character for Curse. Part of leaving your mark on Batman is adding a great new villain, and collecting lots of future royalties. [Laughs]

What I created was actually very close to Azrael — a warrior from an ancient cult that had been in Gotham Valley for centuries. I needed a character that was ancient, one who allowed me to revisit historical Gotham, and one who offered a lot of great sword fighting action — I’m a big Zorro fan. The more I thought about it, the more I realized I should just use Azrael.

It's been 20 years since the Knightfall stuff, so I figured the timing was right. I could reinvent him while also getting him back to basics, putting him back in his original costume. DC told me they didn't really have plans for him, so I jumped at the opportunity.

That's really humble of him tbh.

About the future

Well, if Vol. 2 is about the past, then Vol. 3 will be about the future. So I'm considering doing a White Knight spin on [animated series] Batman Beyond.

And after than, maybe Superman.

The idea of him drawing Batman Beyond makes me salivate.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I based Jean-Paul Valley after John Rambo in First Blood — a misunderstood veteran who takes it too far. Azrael's very much the antagonist, but his PTSD and his “warrior culture” code of ethics makes him more empathetic than other villains.

I loved reading [classic Batman storyline] Knightfall back in the 90s, and I really wanted to revisit the idea and push it even further than before.

It's been 20 years since the Knightfall stuff, so I figured the timing was right. I could reinvent him while also getting him back to basics, putting him back in his original costume. DC told me they didn't really have plans for him, so I jumped at the opportunity.

That's what Jean-Paul truly needs, a writer who cares about him and wants to do something meaningful with him.

Jean-Paul has suffered a lot in recent times of writers and DC's editorial team because they don't have any real plans for him. They just want to re-do old stuff with him and continuosly to reboot him, so they can do his whole journey again and again. A character with so much potential and so much rich history deserves far better.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4383  Edited By entropy_aegis

@tdk_1997: I think there are Gotham tv show influences in this version of Azrael's and the Order's backstory. If not, hell then hell of a coincidence.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4384 morpheus_  Moderator

I'll be catching up with Tomasi's run over the next couple of days. I'm honestly not bothering with King or Snyder's BMWL.

I wasn't dazzled with Curse of the White Knight. It's stunning, as Murphy's work always is. But we need to see more on the plot's actual progression. I don't mind his Rambo allusions for JPV as long as he is a nuanced character.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4385  Edited By entropy_aegis

Well, the Batman who Laughs is over only to set up Batman/Superman. Meh chuckles and wannabe Punisher are by far the worst Batmen but for some reason Snyder has a crush on them. They're both jobbers with boring plans and went down like clowns. All that hype amounted nothing.

Last Knight on Earth is fun and entertaining but unlike TDKR, YEAR 100 and Kingdom Come it doesn't say anything about superheroes and society. The talking Joker head is superfluous, Bane is clearly there only because Capullo wanted to draw him. The Superman/Lex segment was good and the most interesting part of the book. The main villain named Omega is:

Another evil Batman...what a shocker, I'm just tired now. Its clearly another clone or Duke Thomas.

Batman Secret files had a bunch of short stories but none of them had literally anything to do with City of Bane

I enjoyed most of them, the one with Joker had a cool display of the abilities of Batman's suit. Hugo Strange's story once again highlighted his obsession with Batman which is rather basic admittedly but Orlando really showed the extreme nature of this man and the extent he's willing to go. The Psycho-Pirate story was very weak.

The final feature was about Bane. My first surprise was that it is drawn by Patrick Gleason, this is now officially his last work. Secondly, this was purely a Pre-Flashpoint Bane story through and through. Everything about it screamed classic Bane. Finally the concluding page of this story gave Bane plenty of depth, that page is a must read alone for any Bane fan, Seeley washed away memories of Batman Eternal. Speaking of, I'll give King some credit too, that conversation between Lex and Bane fleshed out Bane's motivation.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: I think there are Gotham tv show influences in this version of Azrael's and the Order's backstory. If not, hell then hell of a coincidence.

Azrael and the Order appear on the show? I wasn't aware of that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Oh yeah, years ago really. Murphy's plot at first glance seems to be similar to the one used by the show.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Oh, wow, literally had no idea. I have watched like 5 episoed tops from it and it's from the first season.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lmao Bruce is a big gadget with legs

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman#76

Somehow Selina was able to get Bruce (who apparently has remained unconscious) from the Himalayas all the way to Paris where she is stealing priceless works of art to pay for his treatments. Meanwhile back in Gotham Kite-Man (hell yeah) is pursued by Flashpoint Batman and is eventually captured. Gotham Girl manages to beat up Captain Atom and he winds up hospitalised. He receives a visit from...TIM DRAKE?! But he's exploring the multiverse in YJ. Where does this any of this take place in continuity?!

Tim and Damian have an argument on a rooftop, and it's revealed that the Bat-Family have been exiled from Gotham, and if any return there, Alfred will die

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a somewhat promising start King is back to his old tricks.

In a book called Batman and an arc named City of Bane you'd expect Batman and Bane to be doing important things. Except they're barely in it. Batman was sleeping throughout the issue while Bane took a day off. More than anything its King's priorities or lack of that has made me dislike his run. I can ignore the stupid dialogue, power levels f*ck ups, repetition etc if things are actually going somewhere and the momentum is kept stable. King killed his momentum with Knightmares and he's significabtly hurt COB's momentum in only one issue.

JL was something lol.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.newsarama.com/46443-july-2019-comic-book-sales-charts.html

Batman#75 couldn't make it into July's top ten at all.

Embarrassing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4394  Edited By entropy_aegis

Nor are Event Leviathan or Bendis's Batman Universe.

DC clearly needs a reality check. King can win as many Eisners as he wants but his writing is shit. Entire issues wasted on meandering filler material are bound to kill interest. The online criticism of King isn't fanboys throwing tantrums over controversy. Its due to a complete lack of interest and boredom. King has failed to tell stories that matter, he's failed to create new villains, he has not expanded the mythos in anyway. He wants to believe Bane is his big villain but the character has barely shown up since the wedding. Only 7 appearances in over 27 issues with 3 of them being confined to a single page each. Instead he keeps shilling his Bat/Cat shit again and again. Like give it a rest already. Despite being a Bane fan I dont give a damn about this run anymore. A gut instinct told me months ago that Bane wouldn't be as heavily involved anyway. As a Batman fan I'm forced to watch my favorite hero being reduced to being unable to perform basic human functions without Catwoman. Soon she'll be giving him potty training and changing his diapers. How the hell can Damian Wayne and Jarro look more independant and functional than Batman?

King's entire thesis about Batman is that he's garbage hero without Catwoman, he's a garbage hero next to Flashpoint Thomas because the latter is a killer and he's garbage next to Bane because Bane was poor and therefore more admirable.

The Tynion/King era is a blot upon the history of the character.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4395  Edited By entropy_aegis

Well, interesting week I guess.

Event Leviathan: The plot didn't move forward as usual but atleast there was action. Said action made Jason look a bit too competent but at this point any action and competence is welcome. Bendis's Damian is rough but is getting better though even rough is better than the generic Robin voice he employed for Damian the last 2 times. Green Arrow and Manhunter are pointless so far.

Batman Universe: Okay this was fun and if this a sample of what Bendis can do on Batman proper then he's welcome.

Detective: Classic best describes this issue, its got everything one wants from a Batman story. Using Deadshot is another plus.

Catwoman: There was one extremely surprising return of a long dead character. I was completely taken aback especially since he was quite prominently used. Really wonder how Tomasi feels about it seeing as he's made sure to not use him since killing him almost 8 years ago.

PS: Darkseid was great in JLO. First time in a long time I felt like I was reading classic Darkseid.

Edit:

In other news concept art of WB Montreals cancelled game leaked. It looks promising but I guess the weird combination of Batman Beyond, Batman 666 and Batman Arkham didn't assure the management. It came very close to reality.

A picture with Tim Drake's new look(partially) is out. Its definitely not Robin or Bat related for sure.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4396  Edited By entropy_aegis

November solicits are fully out, we got most of them last month. Some additional things of note:

Last Knight on Earth 3 has been solicited, thank God.

Nora Fries is a villain...eh

Tim Drake's new costume is a joke. He now truly joins Steph and Cass as the BF member with no notable symbol or rather no symbol at all, a generic costume and most likely a lame code name. Looks like the final nails in his coffin are being hammered. The costume itself joins the Signal costume as among the worst in the family but Signal's is atleast amusing because it reeks of desperation and over branding. Tim's is the opposite, no branding whatsoever, just plain.

Curse of the White Knight takes a break but Murphy is writing a Mr Freeze one shot set in his world.

Blue Beetle and Shazam get one shots and have been infected by chuckles. My interest in this story is rock bottom at this point.

Finally, Blight returns in Batman Beyond. It always surprises me that a character presented as THE Batman Beyond villain gets so little in the way of story telling. As Blight the cartoon used him like 3 times, Jurgens is using him after more than 50 issues(combining both volumes) and last he was used was in Adam Beechen's Batman Beyond in 2011.

Solicits

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got to read Tec 1009, It's really good, It's one of the few issues that comes out this days, That I could totally believe coming out in the past. Just classic Batman.

On the topic of the solicits, I can't wait for the Batman's grave to come out. Also super hyped about the Question and Green lantern. I haven't been keeping up with the solicits lately but is Batman creature of the night ever going to come out?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got to read Tec 1009, It's really good, It's one of the few issues that comes out this days, That I could totally believe coming out in the past. Just classic Batman.

On the topic of the solicits, I can't wait for the Batman's grave to come out. Also super hyped about the Question and Green lantern. I haven't been keeping up with the solicits lately but is Batman creature of the night ever going to come out?

The final issue will be coming out in October this year, final Wednesday I think.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even want to comment on City of Bane anymore. The opening issue was praised all around by critics and regular readers but for me it didn't do anything. The issues are filler, the villains aren't actually doing much and as cool as it may seem that every jurisdiction that was controlled by the good guys and now is in the villains' hands - it sucks. King again didn't even bother to explain how everything led to this, we are just dropped in the middle of all of this and we are seeing that Bruce is yet again a vegetable. I have lost hope in King.

'Tec this weeks was incredible. Tomasi proves with each issue that he is probably the writer atm who loves the character the most in the business and who has best understanding of the character. Each issue is joy.

Batman: Universe is surprisingly fun to read. Batman is in character, the dialogue is great, all of the characters that appear are actually serving something. Bendis really surprised me and if he is actually able to keep up this level of enthusiasm with the character, with such a strong character voice than he's more than welcome to come on board on the Batman title.

Tim Drake's costume is laughable. His whole character has become a complete joke in recent years and if you ask me it's better to kill off the character again and just keep him dead. If he remains alive a bit longer then he will become even worse and allhistory he has will be just ruined.

jake_fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4400  Edited By jake_fury

Tec under Tomasi has been a great read.

Event Leviathan didn’t really go anywhere after two issues but issue 3 seemed to finally move things along. That Maleev art is on point.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.