Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

#4301 Posted by Alexander505 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

DC even canceled Silencer despite was a good series and definitely more interesting character than Catwoman, directly involved with Talia and Leviathan. So many lost occasions in DC these days.

#4302 Posted by TDK_1997 (18804 posts) - - Show Bio

Last Knight on Earth was definitely a big surprise for me. I knew Snyder and Capullo could deliver on twists and epicness, but I was surprised of how much they are actually trying. I had lost hope with Snyder since every story of his is promoted and hyped up like it's going to be the last and ultimate thing he does with Batman, but this one has my interest. The interiors were just amazing and I am curious where Snyder will take the Caped Crusader this time.

Tomasi really did deliver on the 'Tec Annual as well. The fact that he centered the story around a character from a very favorite story of mine really boosted my interest in the issue. Great references, great story and as always - great characterization.

#4303 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

DC even canceled Silencer despite was a good series and definitely more interesting character than Catwoman, directly involved with Talia and Leviathan. So many lost occasions in DC these days.

Silencer doesn't sell, the April issue had not even 8.000 copies ordered. I'm honesty surprised that they din't cancel it at issue 12.

Catwoman on the other hand has pretty good sales at the moment, the April issue had 40.000 issues ordered, even if I don't really see what's exciting about that book.

#4304 Posted by Alexander505 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz said:
@alexander505 said:

Silencer doesn't sell, the April issue had not even 8.000 copies ordered. I'm honesty surprised that they din't cancel it at issue 12.

Catwoman on the other hand has pretty good sales at the moment, the April issue had 40.000 issues ordered, even if I don't really see what's exciting about that book.

DC didn't give to Silencer a chance, you can't expect great sells in a short period, not with a new brand characater. DC should have a little more braveness..

#4305 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if keeping the series running when almost no one reads it would really do much for the character.

And the sales are really pretty terrible, when I didn't over look something the only DC books that are selling less are back issues, Vertigo stuff and Scooby Doo.

#4306 Edited by Alexander505 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

The hard truth is DC is losing appealing on the public, since N52 DC can't write proper stories and new characters, DiDio is one of the main problems, a guy with the idea of put back characters in the silver age era, hating sidekick like Dick, it's not good at all. DC must look forward but they're still stuck in the past.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#4307 Posted by infantfinite128 (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

DC should trade Brian Michael Bendis and Tom King to get Patrick Gleason back, with an exclusive contract, and then let him and Peter Tomasi fix things.

Or at least let them write their DC movies.

#4308 Posted by Alexander505 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio
#4309 Edited by infantfinite128 (6148 posts) - - Show Bio
#4310 Posted by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good origin issue for the Arkham Knight. I’m worried she may turn back to the side of angels due to her origin story but hope she lasts as a character.

#4311 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 72 preview, love how Fornes handles action choreography but King is just rewriting the events of his first year, WTF?

Deathstroke 44 preview, pretty much everyone who has been a part of this run seems to attending Slade's funeral, except Shado and Deadshot but Shado is going to play a role in the current arc so that covers her.

#4312 Posted by Morpheus_ (34785 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 72 preview, love how Fornes handles action choreography but King is just rewriting the events of his first year, WTF?

It's so long ago that he no longer remembers it.

If it weren't for the shades and coloring, I would have sworn that was Mazzucchelli on pencils.

#4313 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: At first I was tempted to disagree with you but holy cow you're right. Bleeding Cool has additional info that confirms it.

Shame its his final issue of this arc and with Daniel, Janin and Mann set for the remainder of King's run a return seems unlikely. Maybe Tomasi can poach him.

#4314 Posted by Morpheus_ (34785 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: The BC theory is a little too complicated for King's standards but sufficiently silly, so it's an even split for me.

The tonal shift would be rather jarring but I don't have an issue with those artists. King is Loeb-esque in that regard, he lets the artwork carry him.

#4315 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: It does hint at King remembering his own work differently from how he wrote it lol.

Well, I'm not gonna bother with Batman/Catwoman frankly speaking. I've grown to dislike Janin and Mann's art. Too plastic, stiff and fake looking for me. Characters are also far too pretty for my taste. I dont need everyone looking like a goddamn supermodel.

Fornes, Gerads and Weeks are the best among King's artists.

#4316 Posted by infantfinite128 (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: It does look very reminiscent of David Mazzucchelli. I'm going to check out more of Jorge Fornes work now.

#4317 Edited by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Batman 72 was something I guess. Hats off to Fornes first of all, that Batman vs Bane fight was the best since Legacy.

Now the story... it mirrored Batman 20 except Bane won this time. It tried to make arcs such as WOJAR and the ones with Ivy and Booster appear important.

Doesn't make sense at all but at this point with King I never even expected him to try.

Deathstroke was great as usual. Priest has mastered the art of writing an ongoing series. Every issue offers a complete story that has just the right amount of dialogue and characterization and forward momentum. As a reader I honestly cant ask for anything more. Just a shame its ending in 6 months. All things considered, this is going to go down as the best book from the Rebirth era with the third longest tenure.

#4318 Edited by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Priest interview

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/dc-entertainment/281510/deathstroke-rip-bringing-slade-wilson-story-to-end

Surprised that it was Adam Glass's suggestion to kill Slade.

Priest actually wished that he was the Teen Titan's writer so that he could write Damian and Wallace's reactions to Slade's death.

Talks about his writing process. Funnily enough my earlier point about his issues being a complete story on their is brought up here. Priest also expresses his frustration with how modern comics have become all about the unending middle chapters and unfulfilling conclusions, basically he's taking a swipe at filler stories and decompression. Completely agree with him, especially in light of Bendis and King's story telling on Superman and Batman.

For the love of God, give him a Batman book. If Neal Adam's can get his non sense published then Priest deserves a chance.

#4319 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I think that Priest himself often stretches some his plot lines in Deathstroke out way to long (like the murder of Jerichos wife), and then concludes them with a big info dumb, where he explains what has happened.

That also is not particularly satisfying for the reader.

#4320 Posted by Alexander505 (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see Priest as new writer on Batman when King will go away.

#4321 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Just throwing it out here that DC has announced a 9 standard issue Joker/Harley series for their Black Label imprint starting in October.

Sejic is working on a double sized 3 issue series. Also for the Black Label line, this project will be announced next month supposedly. Sejic is done with the first issue. He's posted art of a Bat creature and Two-Face.

DC made such a big deal about Black Label being reserved for heavyweight talent but these contradict that.

Meanwhile Fabok is half done with 3 Jokers. Talk about lazy as F*ck, its taken him a year and a half to draw essentially 3 issues.

Ofcourse nowhere near as bad as Silvestri who still cant get his project out.

Its high time DC gets projects out on time or just shut up about them until they're done. The delays on Creature of the Night are unforgivable at this point. Dont even want to get started on Kevin Smith's story and Earth One v3.

#4322 Edited by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I'm a bit worried now, Grant Morrison gave an interview and said this:

" I couldn't have thought of a better character and a better artist to do at end of my career. It's true. You'll outlive me. [Laughs]" (reference to Sharp).

And Sharp saying this on Twitter"Grant saying this is his last mainstream comic".

I hope it doesn't mean that he wont do Arkham Asylum 2. He's scheduled to complete the Wonder Woman series too but I honestly dont care about that. If AA2 gets canned, I might get a heart attack.

He'll stay on GL for 24 issues according to Sharp.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
#4323 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (4663 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Hmmmmm, although he’s perfectly capable of retiring from mainstream especially at DC it would be sad to see him go.

He also recently expressed interest in doing Silver Surfer at Marvel with Liam Sharp done in a way where it’s the opposite of his GL work. Would be nice to see him work at Marvel for a bit before packing it all in.

#4324 Posted by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

Selina from Batman#76

No Caption Provided

#4325 Posted by Black_Arrow (10289 posts) - - Show Bio
#4326 Posted by Morpheus_ (34785 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: It could mean like writing comic books monthly.

In fairness, he was more or less retired from on-going series already. Prior to GL his most recent works were Batman Inc. and Action Comics.

#4327 Posted by Eto (5353 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, I'm a bit worried now, Grant Morrison gave an interview and said this:

" I couldn't have thought of a better character and a better artist to do at end of my career. It's true. You'll outlive me. [Laughs]" (reference to Sharp).

And Sharp saying this on Twitter"Grant saying this is his last mainstream comic".

I hope it doesn't mean that he wont do Arkham Asylum 2. He's scheduled to complete the Wonder Woman series too but I honestly dont care about that. If AA2 gets canned, I might get a heart attack.

He'll stay on GL for 24 issues according to Sharp.

Aah damn that's a bummer.

I hope he'll give us AA2 at the very least.

I need to check out GL in trades. I can't wait till July.

#4328 Posted by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Catwoman#12...yet another pointless chase, and I don't see the point of building up the new rebound, especially with Batman/Catwoman already announced. I feel DC marketing have sabotaged Jones' story here.

#4329 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Event Leviathan, the heck was that crap? Terrible dialogue all around, zero plot progression and the detective work consists of characters just talking to each other and repeating the same information. After 6 issues, a short story and a gigantic one shot this story is still essentially stuck in the same place

Tec was fine, there's more to the AK's story in the future.

BMWL's just bores me now, never again am I following this character.

Oh and King is introducing the Phantasm from DCAU in to mainstream continuity. Sorry Andrea, prepare to be King'd.

#4330 Edited by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis Also, Bendis made Steve Trevor out to be like a gung-ho idiot. Both Clark AND Diana's gonna flip at him for firing wildly and injuring Lois

#4331 Posted by Black_Arrow (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice end for this arc. The art has really grown on me.

#4332 Posted by Eto (5353 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice end for this arc. The art has really grown on me.

Yeah, me too.

At first I wasn't too fond on those goggles (or whatever those eyes are supposed). However,, now I think it looks pretty badass.

#4333 Edited by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio
#4334 Edited by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

We're getting this in September

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy (a 6 issue series)

The Riddler: Year of the Villain (one shot). The solicit is hilarious

Gotham City Monsters... um, so weird. No idea if its an ongoing or mini but Orca? really DC? and holy crap Lady Clayface is back. Its been like what? a quarter of a century? lol. I like Orlando and I'm a sucker for his obvious preferences towards Morrison's work but I have no desire to return to Monster Town, not after Night of the Monster men and Batwoman Begins in Tec. It will be an EVENT LEVIATHAN spinoff

And finally this in October

Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (9 issue series that is part of the Black Label imprint)

Really milking the Bat villains aren't they?

Bendis is also relaunching the Legion, he will write a 2 issue prelude and the first of them will have a Batman Beyond short story.

#4335 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Ofcourse, it wouldn't be Tom King if he wasn't wanking Bat/Cat

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/13/batman-catwoman-reunion-comic-tom-king/

What a load of crap, he couldn't even wait till 83. Jones book is completely redundant and "City of Bane" is starting to look like it wont feature much of Bane afterall. Screw King.

#4336 Posted by OrangeBat (983 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I'm pretty sure at this point King is just using Batman to exorcise personal demons.

#4337 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@orangebat: He also tweeted this

"For 25 issues Batman has been missing its heart, his heart. It’s nice to have her back. Coming up in Batman 75. The return of the Cat"

What a load of baloney. He literally used her in 4 issues of the Knightmares arc. She was therefore last seen 4 issues ago. This guy has just lost it. January cant come soon enough.

#4338 Edited by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even think Tom's been reading Jones' Catwoman run at all...doesn't Selina have obligations to her disabled sister currently? What's she doing hanging out with Bruce for the rest of the year ironing out her relationship issues?

#4339 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember that Sejic project I mentioned? Guess what? Its called Harleen. A 3 issue origin story from the Black Label line starting in September.

Why doesn't DC just change Black Label to Harley Label? How utterly ridiculous of them to simultaneously publish 2 Harley origin books simultaneously. Then there's the mini with Ivy, her ongoing, Murphy's White Knight sequel and an Ink graphic novel.

And people rag on Batman.

#4340 Posted by Morpheus_ (34785 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I've liked Sejic's art since his Top Cow days, it seems a waste to focus heavily on Harley - was it his choice or is it an assignment?

By the by, since you brought it up I'd absolutely include David Cain in a Batman film, but that's just me.

#4341 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Its a passion project, all Black Label books are. Now I'm just waiting for fans to confuse Sejic's book with the other Joker/Harley Black Label book out in October lol. Its gonna be funny if retailers fudge up orders.

Haha, I'd rather use Deathstroke or Deadshot.

#4342 Posted by Morpheus_ (34785 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Could it be a way for DC to appease him? I'm not sure I've seen Sejic hold a writer's credit in the past.

Deadshot would probably be bound to the Squad's brand and Slade is too overpowering a presence for a film that includes 5 more villains. But I could see a Murderer/Fugitive storyline mixed with say, Dark Victory, and Cain working in there.

#4343 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: He's done some creator owned work I think. Its possible I guess, he has mentioned Harley as a dream project in the past.

I thunk the original Affleck script also had multiple villains including Firefly and Penguin. Except Slade was supposed to kill them so it can work. You're sadly right about Floyd.

#4344 Posted by Epyon007 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Sejic’s most known work at least creator owned is Sunstone. It has a fairly good following given that it is geared towards mature readers. I’m looking forward to it. I loved his art on the small stint on Aquaman and tie-in that he did for Dark Nights. I also enjoy the fact he does both inking and coloring. I haven’t read his creator owned projects to comment on his writing though.

#4345 Posted by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio
#4346 Posted by entropy_aegis (20920 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: It makes me happy really. The easiest way to dilute a character is to make copies of him/her. If we get like a dozen or so characters that laugh then Chuckles automatically becomes less special and edges closer to being obsolete.

#4347 Posted by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Event Leviathan had a whole bunch of talky talk and that was about all. At least Maleev killed it on the art.

Arkham Knight conclusion felt a bit rushed but overall the arc was well done and she’ll be back.

#4348 Posted by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis So the September solicitations are out

https://www.newsarama.com/45611-dc-comics-september-2019-solicitations.html

-Superman shows up in Event Levitahan, only to be interrogated by Batman, but apparently they can't crack their heads together on this matter and Lois steps in to help.

-City of Bane is taking a month off already to make room for more Bat/Cat 'shipping in a special two-part "interlude"

-In the meantime, Jones takes the month off of Selina's solo title, and the book isn't tying in with what's going on in City of Bane or it's "interlude" at all.

-Nora Fries is awoken from cryo-sleep thanks to Lex Luthor (not the first time that's happened, having occurred in pre-flashpoint and in DCAU comics)

-DC have cancelled the Teen Titans Go! comic

#4349 Edited by ZariusII (5986 posts) - - Show Bio

ROFL, that's King's big twist?

Bruce could get his parents back?

That's not even new. Superman's dad's been back for years

#4350 Posted by TDK_1997 (18804 posts) - - Show Bio

King’s Batman managed to hit a new low. I’m impressed. I don’t think any other writer has been hyping up his story as much as King, changing it constantly as King, in order to deliver the most anti-climatic twists and developments. Glad that DC decided to sack him prematurely because it really would have been a big pain in the ass to see him go for another 20 issues.

I honestly hope that Batman and Catwoman fails miserably as well, ao DC can truly say “Hey, man, listen! Batman is off limits for you from now on”.

Justice League, however, was a bit better than Batman this week. Slightly disappointed by this issue since last arc was just incredibly interesting and well drawn. Of course this is just the first part of the new storyline but it feels like a step back. However, the interiors continue to be beautiful.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.