Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

#4201 Posted by TDK_1997 (18800 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane being naked is something as King himself noted - natural, in a way. However, the way King explains everything about his Batman run is worse than if a 5 year old tried to explain a plot of a comic book. I just can't take anything seriously from the guy anymore.

Also, I do get that it's natural for him to be naked, but I don't envision him in the situations King has put him in as being naked.

#4202 Posted by ZariusII (5982 posts) - - Show Bio

Rumours are that there's a new Batman/Superman title coming this year from Joshua Williamson and David Marquez, and it'll involve a new formation of The Secret Six

#4203 Posted by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio
#4204 Edited by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read Tec Vol 9. Pretty good especially since Harvey is one of my favorite Bat Villains.

Question though, has he always been portrayed as being that skilled with his handguns? Between his appearance here and in Deathstroke I just never had him pegged that way.

Also, when did Bruce and Batwoman reconcile? Seemed weird her helping them out against Kobra

#4205 Edited by ZariusII (5982 posts) - - Show Bio

Stephanie back in this week's Young Justice (flashback to explain why Tim was solo, guest stars Zatana)

No Caption Provided

#4206 Posted by Eto (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

David Marquez on a DC title. :D

—> written by Williamson. :/

#4207 Edited by Magian (152414 posts) - - Show Bio

At least it will be nice to look at. That's something lol

Like that they are bringing the book back, not sure I like the fact that Chuckles is going to be involved though. The idea of heroes turning evil without them knowing does sound interesting.

#4208 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 70Preview, the start of " Fall and the Fallen" arc

Deathstroke 43Preview, final issue of the " Terminus Agenda" crossover

Adventures of the Super Sons 10Preview

Interview by Tynion about Batman/TMNT 3, also has textless arc pages

An Article confirming the launch of a new Batman/Superman ongoing in August, also confirms that the BATMAN WHO LAUGHS mini will get extended by one more issue and the creation of a new Secret Six team

My response is MEH to this announcement due to the following reasons:

• I'm sick of the Batman who Laughs, he's the Batman who sucks at this point
  • Lame plot, and its the same thing with Chuckles, he brought evil of versions of Batman in METAL , then he tried to bring evil versions of others in the same event, then he in his mini he brings another evil version of Batman and now in this book he pulling the same stunt. He might as well become a HR professional because recruiting superior characters seems to be the only thing he's good at.
  • The PRICE arc which led to this book was terrible
  • Williamson is just writing Snyder's story, its become a recurring pattern in Snyder's work. From Higgins Nightwing to JLO. I have no reason to believe this will be anything different. Those books were forgettable and worthless, trying to tie themselves to whatever Snyder was cooking to get sales and recognition.
  • According to Bleeding Cool, this is the list of suspects:

Beast Boy, Kyle Rayner, John Constantine, Supergirl, Oliver Queen, Ric Grayson, Booster Gold, Barbara Gordon, Damian Wayne, Jimmy Olsen, Plastic Man, Miss Martian, Alfred Pennyworth, Hal Jordan, Shazam, Hawkman, Catwoman, Jon Kent, Wonder Woman and Jim Gordon. Corrupted versions of some of these characters will appear and all will be investigated. Bleeding Cool also thinks Donna Troy and Perry White are a lock. Looking at that list I see a bunch of NTT era characters, not looking good for these guys.

#4209 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman comics doing good now.

#4210 Posted by Eto (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Secret Six won’t be written by Simone.

Sick and tired of her writing that book, need a fresh take.

#4211 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Todd fans, be worried, be REALLY worried cause you're all about to be Bendis'd.

https://www.newsarama.com/44993-brian-michael-bendis-dc-year-of-the-villain-leviathan-alex-maleev.html

This is a preview of the Bendis short from Year of the Villain special.

#4212 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

So, um, YOTV special was rather underwhelming.

The first and last stories were by Snyder and Tynion and they were all about Lex handing out offers and becoming Apex Lex or whatever. We've all known this for a while so nothing new there.

Finally, the Batman/Superman book looks as if its going to be a spritual successor to Heroes in Crisis. Like HIC they've created a suspect list and are teasing character assasinations of 6 among that list. Bleeding Cool has confirmed Donna and Perry. That leaves 4 others. Selina, Hal, Billy, Jimmy, Carter, Diana and Babs have their own books so I think they'll be safe. Plas has Terrifics and Bendis as do Ollie and Jon so they should be safe as well. Not looking good for Kyle, Gar and M'gann tbh

Dick ironically might get saved thanks to Ric. Seriously doubt anythings going to happen to Damian or Constantine. I expect either Jim or Alfred to get turned to give Perry a counterpart.

So all in all YOTV is looking like the year of character assasinations.

The second story was by Bendis and its all there in the preview I posted. No need to even discuss it in the Superman forum since it was all Bat family and Green Arrow related. Bendis' voice for Damian is generic but I guess it can improve over time. But what I'm worried about is the Doom ripoff. That character also had a rather generic voice and frankly rather unmenacing presence inspite of that costume. He was practically pleading with Babs. I'm pretty sure its an existing hero under that costume and that leads me to Jason Todd. I think Jason fans better start preparing for character assasination.

Batman 70 was just Batman 18 in reverse. While it was satisfying to see Bruce blow some steam and atleast be on top of events for once, it still came across as a bit of a filler issue. Had this issue come out after 60 or 61 then I would have enjoyed it much more. But the book has fallen in to a drag and it needed a far more original and shocking beginning to jolt us out of apathy. Meh, really, King has just killed his own momentum with his Knightmares rubbish.

DCEASED was as amusing as Taylor's Injustice work. If you want to see characters suffer grisly and unintentionally hilarious deaths then this book is for you.

#4213 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 70 was just Batman 18 in reverse. While it was satisfying to see Bruce blow some steam and atleast be on top of events for once, it still came across as a bit of a filler issue. Had this issue come out after 60 or 61 then I would have enjoyed it much more. But the book has fallen in to a drag and it needed a far more original and shocking beginning to jolt us out of apathy. Meh, really, King has just killed his own momentum with his Knightmares rubbish.

I honestly expect even more filler issues untill the start of City of Bane in issue #75.

Btw. I hope that Jason is a false lead, it would be anyway strange if they would already reveal the identity of their big bad in the prologue of the story.

#4214 Posted by ZariusII (5982 posts) - - Show Bio

Today's Young Justice was 80% about Tim and Stephanie. Still together and very much in love. Zatana stops by and restores Tim's pre-flashpoint memories.

#4215 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

@aahz: I hope not, King teased a page of the Bat family. I'm guessing Bane is going to squash them lol.

They can flood the book with a bunch of red herrings and come back to Jason in the end.

#4216 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman/TMNT 3 was fun, these books are easily Tynion's best works on the Bat family.

Loved Deathstroke, the entire storyline's purpose was to show how Damian is really similar to Slade and himself would be Deathstroke if only he crossed the line. Priest has crafted a superb relationship between Damian and Slade. If nothing else one can count Slade as a Damian villain/supporting character and even more so vice versa. The ending was shocking. We knew Slade was going to die but we should've guessed the killer from the solicit information. Really looking forward to what DC/Priest has planned for Rose, Joey and Shado.

#4217 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: If we go by the solicitations, the plot of the next 4 issues is that Batman get's kicked out of Gotham and ends up in a desert with his father. That doesn't sound like much plot of 4 issues. Either the whole thing will be painfully slow paced or some of the issues will be again filler.

But honestly do you really expect that will King will finally deliver something with a decent pacing. To me it feels that apart from maybe "I am Gotham" only the arcs written by guest writers, had decent pacing and no filler issues.

#4218 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Patrick Gleason has not only dumped YJ but DC as well. He's Marvel exclusive now. I ofcourse cant help but blame Bendis for it. With Son of Batman and Superman he was evolving as a writer but then Bendis came aling and shunted him to just art work and even then he no longer drew Damian or Jon whom he clearly wanted to draw. His last year has been a waste so I cant even blame him. Still I'm sad that he could never complete SOB or write/draw the Superman run he and Tomasi envisioned.

@aahz: No, I dont have any real expectations from King sadly so I really cant disagree.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
#4219 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (4657 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I’m excited to see his work on Marvel, that double splash page that he released is gorgeous.

My dream rn is for Tomasi to head off to Marvel as well and team with Gleason for a Captain America or Spider-Man run. Tomasi’s such a talent and so under appreciated at DC yet still managed to put his stamp on Superman, Batman and the GLC. I’d like to see him tackle the Marvel Universe for a bit.

#4220 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, TBWL is just tedious, its badly overwritten, there is no action and most importantly chuckles just sucks. God he's dismal, he literally does nothing and yet he wins, he wins and he wins and it goes on and on. Snyder has had his flaws that I've always pointed out but he's now hit King's level of laziness with this godawful character. I'm done with Chuckles, I wont bother with Batman/Superman, the character is dismal and when he talks for pages in that annoying red font of his I fall asleep because he never says anything worthwhile. As usual, he just introduces us to another evil Batman, that's all this one trick pony has done since he showed up in Metal.

Oh and the Court of Owls are a joke, they're on par with Firefly, Calendar Man and other D-list Batman villains. If this is how their own creator sees them then its time to bury the concept permanently.

Tec 1003 was well done. It felt like an issue of Morrison's Batman & Robin , which I know is going to sound strange seeing as Tomasi has history with that book himself but the dynamic here was Morrisonesque. The dynamics, the team up and interactions between Batman & Robin are what really carried this issue forward.

Now on to The Arkham Knight herself, yeah its a she lol. I'm actually pleased, I'm sure literally none of us expected a girl haha. I'm also glad that Batman figured out that it was a girl under that helmet. With Ivy, Catwoman and Harley fans being convinced that these characters are heroes (blech) and Talia fans begging for similar treatment its great we have a female rogue who can be taken seriously(cough White Rabbit cough) and has the potential to climb higher in the ranks of great villains

As for the character herself, she's not evil and she clearly cares about Gotham. She's Jermiah Arkham's daughter and her name is Astrid Arkham. I think this was a wise turn, atleast now the title makes sense and allows her to draw from the history of the Arkham family while also utilizing the potential of an important aspect of the mythos that has been remarkably underdeveloped. Also pleased that Tomasi didn't drag it for months, now he can focus on building up the character instead of baiting the fans.

@entropy_aegis: I’m excited to see his work on Marvel, that double splash page that he released is gorgeous.

My dream rn is for Tomasi to head off to Marvel as well and team with Gleason for a Captain America or Spider-Man run. Tomasi’s such a talent and so under appreciated at DC yet still managed to put his stamp on Superman, Batman and the GLC. I’d like to see him tackle the Marvel Universe for a bit.

His style does suit Marvel and I have a feeling Tomasi and Snyder will be in Marvel with in 3 years.

#4221 Edited by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I gave the new Outsiders a fair chance and it did nothing for me. Its not bad at all by any means but its lackluster. I would have given it a full arc but the book already had a pilot arc in Tec last year.

The team's basic dynamic is, dont trust Batman, trust each other. This is dangerously close to Tynion's non sense and it is the single biggest turnoff for me. Especially since Batman has done nothing in Hill's story so far that merits this type of mentality. Worse, its called "Batman and the Outsiders" and yet we are repeatedly told the BL is the leader. I just cant handle this, should've just called it Outsiders then. So the basic premise is similar to Tynion's Tec.

On to the individual characters:

BL: Wont pretend to be huge fan but I never got a sense of who or what he's supposed to be under Hill. There's a clear stiffness here.

Tatsu: Like her, she seems to be fine.

Duke: Never cared and never will. Additionally he now has anger issues and a beef with that Karma guy. Unless I'm misremembering I recall Karma being Batman's enemy and he expressed interest in Cass, not Duke.

Cass: The New 52 version is a shadow of her formerself and I dont envy Hill's position. Every character rebooted by Tynion has been a disaster in my eyes. Hill does write her smoothly so credit for that I guess.

Batman: The irony here is that Bruce is by far the most crisply written character.

The villains: Seemingly another group of rich guys who want to create a meta human army and Ra's al Ghul. Not interested in either right now. I also disliked how the guy Ra's sent and the other guy were so generic looking that I couldn't even tell the difference between either initially.

#4222 Posted by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad I skipped the Outsiders book.

Tec 1003 was very good and the AK reveal was an actual surprise in a comic. Almost unheard of these days.

I’m up to midway thru the Arkham arc for Deathstroke. Series is so good so far.

#4223 Posted by King-Ragnar (4630 posts) - - Show Bio

Outsiders was a good start

Batman #70 was meh

Terminus project had a good conclusion.

#4224 Posted by Supermanthor (22603 posts) - - Show Bio

In other words every batman books are better than the main one lol ok

#4225 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

The cast of Outsiders in in general not particularly strong.

Black Lighting has imo always been a bland character.

Katana and Cass are both a pale shadow of their pre flashpoint versions.

And Duke just had no consistency when it comes to writing and direction. (And seems imo to inexperienced if that is really supposed to be an Black Ops team).

And having a big age gap in such a small team also doesn't really help.

#4226 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently Tony Isabella went on a tirade on Twitter about DC reducing Black Lightning to Batman's flunky. Obviously this isn't true if one follows the story but its true if you look at the marketing and DC's general reliance on Batman.

Its stirred some debate on social media. Some people are obviously blasting Batman and DC's reliance on the character. Isabella has also resorted to using the race card. Others are using the sales argument to justify Batman being there.

I'm of two minds here personally. For one thing I do agree with Aahz about the roster being quite pitiful. Its weak and of all the rosters so far its far too reliant on Batman's world. Moreover Aahz also noted the difference in age among the characters which is indeed problematic. Its not a team of kids or vets, it has a cross generational aspect which doesn't work because Duke and Cass are not Tatsu and Jeff's legacies.

The direction, the roster and the premise are all weak which at one point or another IS going to neccesiate Batman directly taking over or introduction of more characters or both. With regards to Duke and Cass, one cant help but wonder if they were just dumped upon this book.

Additionally, I'm in agreement we didn't Batman's name on another book. With Batman and Tec coming out and a whole bunch of minis as well this was just unneeded.

On the other hand its pathetic of Isabella to use the n word and dismiss the work of a Black author. I cant help but feel that he's the actual racist in this fiasco. If nothing else his attitude just reeks of White privelege.

I'm also amused at how how he promotes the Cold dead hands mini as if its the second coming of Watchmen. I haven't seen a single BL fan who actually liked it.

He's completely out of sync with modern comics and frankly I think he just wants to capitalize on the BL show.

#4227 Posted by Aahz (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw. I'm really wondering why they didn't put Halo in the that book. She was reintroduced in Suicide Squad and again was more or less adopted by Katana. She could act as a bridge between the old an the young characters, and that could give the book the family vibe, you usually need for a cross generation book.

To me it currently looks like this book would run into the same problem as Tynions TEC, were you had a group of older characters (Kate, Luke, Jean-Paul), and a group of Young Characters (Tim, Steph, Cass), and they never really managed to establish a connection between both groups. (OK there was also Clayface who didn't intereact with anybody apart from Cass).

#4228 Edited by belrev516 (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Beyond that — and this is recent — I’ve been talking to, not just DC, but Warner Brothers and AT&T. What we’re going to do for the last 15 issues is something no one’s ever seen for the character. It’s something that’s going to change the character for a generation, or maybe more. Maybe forever. I never thought we’d get this kind of stuff approved; when you’re working with a corporate character, you think you’re going to have to reset. But this is a change that’s going to shake the world of Batman and it’s going to leave my mark on the character.-Tom King on Hollywoodreporter

Oh god, he's going to destroy Batman even more.

#4229 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, if what he's done to Wally is any indication he most certainly is. The fact he's doing it at the end of his run makes it even more certain. Its clearly something he does not wish to explore himself.

But thats still some time away. What really bothers me is that he seems to be promoting "City of Bane" as the climax to his run. So it looks like we're in for about almost a year of filler stories afterwards.

As for what the change could be, most (Bat/Cat shippers) are hoping for a marriage or a Catwoman pregnancy. They could happen but they're not something I see him going to WB for. No, its something that he knows that DC's editors and publishers will be hard pressed to back but also something WB execs wouldn't care too much about.

So he's either:

Going to have Batman kill

Have Batman go public with his secret identity.

Lets be honest, WB doesn't care about Batman's code. If they did they'd have reigned in Burton, Snyder and Berlanti.

#4230 Posted by belrev516 (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw spoilers for Batman 71, and honestly I fully, FULLY believe that King is out to destroy Batman.

Bruce looks like a damn idiot in his own book.

#4231 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw spoilers for Batman 71, and honestly I fully, FULLY believe that King is out to destroy Batman.

Bruce looks like a damn idiot in his own book.

What did King do this time? He has already butchered Wally and Dick. He really should stop writing Batman. If he gets to complete hundred issues, he is definitely going to destroy Batman as well.

#4232 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't that bad but the worst is to come I'm afraid.

Batman being written as imbecelic is just normal at this point. But I did find the comic amusing, like Bruce punching Tim Drake and punching Bane only to get punched right back by Bane. Likewise King taking the time to acknowledge continuity of other books but not his own was also hilarious. There's some progression so thats a plus.

This arc suffers from the same flaws as King's first few arcs, he's got solid ideas but laughable execution but there is progression which atleast makes it better than the dumpster fires he's been churning out for almost 2 years. Not that it is saying much.

Snyder just gave Batman another armor. Which makes it the sixth since he started writing the character, eighth if we count bunnybat and Dickbat. This guy really wants to write Iron Man doesn't he?

Oh well, now Hellbat is about to be replaced as the most powerful Batsuit if the armor even remotely lives up to its description. This is before I even get started on the amped up Mobius Chair/cerebro hybrid that Batman has as a throne lol.

The Hush trailer was just released found it very dull tbh.

Batman vs TMNT animated film was very entertaining. Even improved upon the source material by a considerable amount.

#4233 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

New Tom King Interview

Been a while since he gave his last one, doesn't say much but confirms that Ra's will be in a future issue and I think he's just forgotten about Gotham Girl's arc because he actually said that he's going to go back to that headbutt in #20, in his mind that's a dangling thread lmao.

The interview talks a lot about Knightfall. At this point however I dont feel as if King is writing a sequel or channeling the spirit of that storyline. What I feel is that King just wants to rewrite that story the way he sees it in his head.

#4234 Posted by TDK_1997 (18800 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, the last two issues of Batman were not that bad, compared to previous ones from King though. The story itself is at least developing, even though Batman is still written completely out of character and like a total idiot. However, I still cannot comprehend how can King have actual good ideas but he just cannot tell them in the proper way, so he can sell the story to the readers. He has the build up, he has the ideas, but the way he lets them develop and the dialogue that drives you to the end point is just abbysmal.

I really hope that he can still find some way at least to prove us wrong at least slightly by finish on a high note.

As for the interview, he is not saying anything new tbh. However, I am interested of how all of a sudden Tony Daniel became his big player artist. At first I thought it was supposed to be David Finch?

#4235 Edited by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one who hated the art in the first narrative (the one with bane, batman, Thomas and alferd) of #71? The art was probably supposed to be like the golden age comics but I hated the art more than the story itself and that's saying something. There was literally no progress in this story. Everything that happened in the entire issue could have been done in done in less than 4 pages. The art of the second narrative was pretty good though.

#4236 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: I actually much prefer Fornes to Janin. Janin's "art" makes me think of PS2 era cut scenes.

I believe that paired with a proper writer, Fornes could go on to become a definite artist for a variety of street level characters in the big two.

#4237 Posted by belrev516 (140 posts) - - Show Bio

So that Batwoman trailer was hilarious.

#4238 Posted by Black_Arrow (10288 posts) - - Show Bio

We have a new Movie Batman: Robert Pattinson.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

#4239 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

@belrev516: It was wasn't it? Lol. It was pretty much what I expected. I knew they were interested in female Batman, not Batwoman. Good to see that they're not denying it. I've also given up on DCCW so I dont really care.

But two things stood out to me:

Ruby Rose is a TERRIBLE actress

Dear lord, they've reduced Luke Fox to Curtis Holt who in turn was Black Felicity in the first place. I found this more disgusting than their passive agressive digs at Batman.

I can only pray that between DC films, Titans and Pennyworth the CW verse will have a hard time getting access to major Batman stories and characters.

#4240 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: Oh, wow and I was thinking about Cedric Diggory some days back lol.

He'll have his detractors but Pattinson has been incredibly selective about his projects and his avoidance of franchise films for almost a decade. It gives me hope for the direction and script.

#4241 Posted by TDK_1997 (18800 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't actually mind this casting. Even though Pattison's performance in Twilight was terrible, all of his other projects have been rather average or even better than that, while each one of them had a great performance of his. IMO Pattison is an actor who can play in dramas or play very troubled characters who are brooding and etc. He made as well do a good job as Batman.

#4242 Edited by OrangeBat (982 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sold on Pattinson's casting at all. He's got very limited range from what I've seen him in (almost everything besides Twilight) and while he's managed to get cast in some decent movies, he's always, without exception, been one of the worst things about them.

And God, Batwoman is a dumpster fire. DC might as well just flat-out permanently kill her, she has been a good character for like, what, 2 years out of her entire existence?

#4243 Posted by Eto (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

@orangebat: @tdk_1997: Apparently the film Good Time is where he's excelled. I have yet to watch it myself.

Honestly, they need to get on with it and stick to the 2021 release date IMO.

#4244 Posted by Eto (5352 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: I actually much prefer Fornes to Janin. Janin's "art" makes me think of PS2 era cut scenes.

lmao

I believe that paired with a proper writer, Fornes could go on to become a definite artist for a variety of street level characters in the big two.

Fornes > Janin.

Fornes reminds me of Mazuchelli's art. The problem is the blend of these artists don't work, it should be either Fornes or Janin.

#4245 Posted by ZariusII (5982 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#4246 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

New solicits are out

Solicits

Nothing much, mostly the same, baring a few exceptions:

Black Mask is getting a one shot that ties in to YEAR OF THE VILLAIN . But he's been upgraded in to having super powers, I've never liked non sense like this so its a clear pass and moreover it just seems like an excuse to have Batwoman show up in some comic.

Batman/Superman was already announced, also a pass. No interest in chuckles and his same old plot of recruiting other character(s) for his non existent cause.

Batman vs Ra's al Ghul mini by Adams was also announced, hard pass. Why does DC insist in giving this man writing work? moreover he already has written Batman vs Ra's al Ghul stories in his horrid Batman: Odyssey books so its not even fresh madness.

Other than that looking forward to Morrison's GL, finally we're getting to that Multiversal Lantern team up. Tec has a Deadshot arc (sort of) so that's a plus, always up for more Batman vs Deadshot stories.

Weirdly enough King's Batman solicits also interest me.

Other things I noticed:

Silencer is showing up in Event Leviathan

Jimmy and Lois books are already in Gotham, lmao. Wouldn't be surprised if Rucka had Renee and Kate become the co stars of the Lois book.

Here's a preview for Leviathan Rising special#1, its a Superman book but its got Talia.

Preview

Praying Leviathan isn't either Jason or Damian, plz dont let Bendis ruin these characters DC. If he does then I'm finished with DC.

#4247 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

More details about the Batman film, or rumors to be accurate.

Collider thinks Catwoman and Penguin will be the villains.

Hollywood Reporter believes there will be six villains and the above mentioned are just 2 of them.

IGN speculates Riddler will be one of them.

I really hope the second rumor is true, I know six villains maybe a bit too much but its also something that has never been done in superhero film. Done correctly this will be how they end up differentiating themselves from the preceding films and other super hero flicks while also launching the franchise with a big bang. I'm not a fan of the HUSH/TLH/DV model(or Loeb model) but I trust Reeves will be able to perfect it.

Catwoman rumor doesn't surprise me tbh, DC/WB clearly have made up their minds. The days of Rachel/Vicky/Chase/Julie style love interests are gone. Its going to be Selina and Talia from here on out, maybe Ivy too depending on their Harley plans.

But a movie with just Catwoman and Penguin is a big no, its been done. Just thinking about it underwhelms me, Penguin as a big bad in general underwhelms me. Fingers crossed for Riddler and atleast one physical villain(Croc) Penguin can be the fat mobster guy for all I care.

#4248 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: If they want to make a dark and gritty movie to show off batman's detective skills and intellect (which has sadly been ignored in previous movies) they need to make Riddler the main villain. I never liked Penguin as a villain. And I don't really want Selina as a villain, especially not in a dark and gritty. Talia would be a better choice.

#4249 Posted by entropy_aegis (20919 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: Yup, Penguin doesn't work as a main villain in any type of Batman product, well maybe with the exception of Silver Age inspired campy stuff. I wish it wasn't true and I dont hate him (that honor goes to Hush) but no Batman product that I've seen in my life time has ever bothered making a big bad out of Penguin. Whatever niche he occupied as the gentleman of crime who was elusive to the law has long since been filled by Ra's al Ghul. Moreover he doesn't even have traits or aspects could get the audiences to root for him short of a full fledged white wash like they did with Gotham's version by making him cute and good looking and searching for love. Moreover when they do try to make him smart it just comes across as unbelievable because most Bat villains utilize their brains so Cobblepot just gets lost in a sea of more interesting smart characters who have superior gimmicks.

Catwoman will be Catwoman, she'll always be on both sides of the law. I dont expect the al Ghuls to show up this early. I'd like for them to use villains like Pyg and Hugo Strange who have yet to show up on film but if we're going with the ones that have already been used then Riddler and Two-Face are the ones I'll be rooting for.

#4250 Posted by TDK_1997 (18800 posts) - - Show Bio

August seems to be an interesting month for DC and it's a shame that I will miss it and won't be able to read almost anything at least to a month later. Oh, well I will still be following the ongoing events through comic book news sites and etc.

What particularly interests me is Tomasi's 'Tec story involving Deadshot, Williamson's launch of the Batman and Superman book and the Black Mask one-shot. I've always liked Black Mask a bit more than I should have for some goddamn reason, so it's always nice to see him get more action. However, as I may not be very keen on the idea of him gettiing superpowers, I trust Taylor with crafting a well put story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.