Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

#4151 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: With Red Lion, I think most of his story was told, especially with the League being involved during Priest's short-lived JL run. Tanya missing is baffling, though.

DCeased looks as terrible as I expected.

#4152 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: With Red Lion, I think most of his story was told, especially with the League being involved during Priest's short-lived JL run. Tanya missing is baffling, though.

DCeased looks as terrible as I expected.

I expect it to be entertaining for all the shock value deaths and stuff, Supes face alone is amusing and he's supposed to be worried LOL.

And speaking of terrible

Batman 68 preview

OH GOD, LET IT END ALREADY.

#4153 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I generally dislike zombie stories mashed with superheroes since the horror elements are eliminated/erased. Dick dying during that would be a waste.

#4154 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason,

Batman #68 reminds me of current Harley Quinn series =

Not in-continuity.

#4155 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Tec 1001 preview

https://fansided.com/2019/04/08/detective-comics-1001-exclusive-preview-arkham-knight/

Well, its certainly seems to be defying expectations.

The AK prefers fighting in broad daylight it seems and it appears that he wont use guns, just a sword and shield.

And he has a group called Knights of the Sun.

@morpheus_: Sounds like ALE is responsible for it but I do share the sentiment.

#4156 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

The comics have been bad.

#4157 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio
#4158 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Textless preview and release date confirmation for Curse of the White Knight.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/04/09/batman-curse-of-the-white-knight-first-look

#4159 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: I didn't bother with the BMWL preview since the series is stale.

Murphy's art is as crisp as ever, even though Batman does appear to be ill-tempered again. I hope it won't be a rehash with Azrael rallying people against Batman instead for Joker.

#4160 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Yeah, its definitely Snyder's vanity project but it does explain the spiked visor's purpose.

Seems like Azrael will team up with Joker. Not really sure how I feel about that. While I'm tired of the Joker I'm willing to give Murphy a chance unlike Snyder who needs to stop now.

#4161 Edited by kmb501 (166 posts) - - Show Bio

Murphy knows how to write a Joker story, if White Knight is any indication, so I'm looking forward to it.

Characters only feel overused if the comic book writer doesn't know how to write them. Murphy can write the Joker; Scott Snyder on the other hand, hasn't proven that he knows how to use the Joker in the most fun and effective way and should maybe start telling stories with villains he can write, like the Riddler maybe.

#4162 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, Tec 1001 was on point. The AK is simultaneously modern and old school and I loved the fight between Batman and AK's underlings. It showed how Batman is still a badass who uses his wits, skill and weapons to the best of his abilities against overwhelming odds. Art was really polished and had a serious BTAS vibe. Really strong start, if Tomasi plays it right then AK can become a mainstay in the rogues gallery.

Batman Who Laughs 4 I found decent, we're finally seeing chuckles actually do something and slowly try to live up to his over inflated rep. But his face behind the mask was underwhelming, dunno why Snyder hyped it so much, not even a spoiler to say that he's simply a creepily smiling red eyed Bruce Wayne...that's it.

Batman 68 was dumpster fire of a comic that should make everyone involved in its production ashamed of themselves. Thank heavens this rubbish ends in a week.

#4163 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman #68 was yet another filler issue

Curse of White Knight can't come sooner

Tec 1001 is the first issue of a strong arc in the making.

Damn, Tec 1001 was on point. The AK is simultaneously modern and old school and I loved the fight between Batman and AK's underlings. It showed how Batman is still a badass who uses his wits, skill and weapons to the best of his abilities against overwhelming odds. Art was really polished and had a serious BTAS vibe. Really strong start, if Tomasi plays it right then AK can become a mainstay in the rogues gallery.

I had my doubts when it comes to Walker on art duties but he's proved me wrong indeed. Hopefully him and Mahnke will rotate per arc.

#4164 Posted by ZariusII (6000 posts) - - Show Bio

Just read Catwoman#10

So we're introduced to Selina's potential rebound, a gifted black artist called James, Bat-Cuck imminent I guess

I suppose this is what King meant by more heartbreak, when he eventually reunites Bruce and Selina in his own book Selina will tell Bruce she's with someone else now. This happened with Dick and Babs as well when Babs was seeing Luke and Dick was working with Spiral

#4165 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

King doesn't give a crap, he'll ignore it all but good for Jones for moving ahead if thats the case. King keeps going back to that gutter over and over. 3 of the 6 Knightmares issues have been Catwoman centered and the upcoming one seems to be as well. As if Batman doesn't have any other(more legitimate) fears. Should have just called them Catmares and be done with it.

In any event Thomas Wayne's involvement and Bane's takeover of Gotham are where the actual story lies. Bat/Cat is just moronic pandering at this point.

#4166 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

It's more likely that Jones' work will be affected by whatever King ends up doing in Batman than the opposite happening. King doesn't acknowledge developments in other books, he influences them himself. He singlehandedly destroyed Nightwing and the book has been floundering ever since. The chances of him being aware of any relationship plans Jones had for Catwoman are very low.

I thought Tec' was competently done. I'm not sold on the Knights and AK yet - they are good at what they do, and well prepared. Batman himself was smartly written, without that being a surprise given Tomasi's usual style, though. I want the AK to be further fleshed out before expressing my views on him.

#4167 Posted by TDK_1997 (18804 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing with Batman #68 is that if we all consider this to be a non-canon story or something like a Valentine's Day special or et cetera, it would make a very fun light-hearted story that I would actually enjoy. The concept was good, the dialogue was indeed fun and what the characters were going through can really make you chuckle but the problem is that this happens in the central Batman book. In addition to that, this is supposed to be a nightmare induced by a machine that Bane is using to torture Batman. Aaaaand, everything goes away.

'Tec was a very nice set-up for the upcoming issues and great introduction to the Arkham Knight. It starts out as a very interesting mystery with all of the dead bats. I am really eager to see where Tomasi will take this story.

#4169 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

So details for the Year of the villain arcs are as follows:

https://www.newsarama.com/44721-dc-s-year-of-of-the-villains-1-brings-on-the-bad-guys.html

Batman related stuff is... oh who am I kidding, Batman is involved in it all.

Batman is one the lead characters in Event Leviathan. Batgirl is officially involved now as well. Bendis has also stated (not here) that Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin (?) will also be involved. Technically Leviathan is a Batman villain.

Bane gets an offer from "Apex Lex" lol after he takes over Gotham. Not all villains will be cool with Bane and apparantely a new Batman is going to be running around, PLZ DONT LET IT BE DUKE.

I dont want Bane's big story to be tainted by a lame wannabe Batman. If there is going to be a replacement then I want Bane to kill that person.

It appears that Cheung will be drawing the Bane portion of the "Year of the villain" one shot. He's been posting pics of Bane on instagram.

Here's the link to DC's website which has villain portrait covers which to me are confusing to me for now. We have Bane, Lobo and Deathstroke for Batman, TT and Deathstroke but then we have Freeze for Tec, Ra's for Outsiders and Lois for Superman LMAO.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/04/11/dc’s-year-of-the-villain-1-keeps-the-heat-on-this-summer

#4170 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

And Titans has added Iain Glen as Bruce Wayne in a recurring role

Dear lord, Berlanti is obsessed.

I'm sorry to say but this guy is hideous and should be playing Dessaad. He also appears older than the guy they got for Slade. Beyond that this is the sixth character they've added in a recurring role and none of them are lightweights. I heard that the core cast was lousy and underdeveloped. They might as well just vanish. No way they're getting screen time worth a damn with the Wilson family, Superboy and the Bat boys running around.

Now I understand why Didio has such a big problem with legacy heroes aging the classics. We have been getting old fart versions of Batman in live action just to accomodate a shared universe where others can exist. Batman should be be between 30 and 35 period. 40 should be the absolute peak. Anything above that is BS. Age the Robins/Batgirls if you have to.

Oh well atleast we can look forward to Matt Reeves.

#4171 Edited by ZariusII (6000 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me guess, Selina will probably take up Lex's offer as well and that's how King ends his run, with her as a villain again. That would tie into Bendis' Detective 1000 story where she was with the other villains as they were discussing Batman and Penguin figured out his identity (it's in continuity because it references things from Bendis' Action Comics run in one bit of dialogue),

Lois in the meantime likely rejects the offer, since Bendis has already said she and Clark won't ever break up in his run and she has a new ongoing coming.

#4172 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@zariusii: You overthink sometimes friend, Bane knows Batman's ID, as does Joker, arguably Deathstroke as well. They wouldn't be playing guessing games with Cobblepot. Future stories are always Elseworld scenarios and thats what the Bendis short was.

#4173 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard that the core cast was lousy and underdeveloped.

Dick, Kory, Gar and Raven were the core, and I wouldn't call any of them underdeveloped. The series has some grave issues but devoting time in its main cast was not really one of them. They also did really well with any guest appearances - be it the Doom Patrol episodes, Donna or Hawk and Dove. Jason was the only guy that was ridiculously bad.

No idea what they're thinking with Glen. He's a decent actor, and a charismatic one. But those traits alone are not enough when he doesn't look the part at all. He would had been good as a geriatric Bruce from Batman Beyond, not a Batman that should more or less be in his prime.

Can't wait until Bane takes over Gotham but instead of focusing on the action we take a 10 issue break for the Bane-mares, where Bane is dosed with fear toxin and relives Catwoman breaking his back. Nothing escapes the mighty Cat.

#4174 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Bendis is going to write Jason?

Ooh great.

Dammit literally what I was afraid of what’d happen.

#4175 Posted by TDK_1997 (18804 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know guys, Jorah Mormont playing Batman seems like the wors decision that can be made for the character in this universe, but so far all of the castings have been very well picked imo. I think we might be surprised by what they will do with Batman.

#4176 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: I don't have a doubt he'll be good, or at least his acting will be good. This definitely isn't a case of complaining because the actor doesn't have the ability to portray the character, just that his age/appearance don't match.

But I enjoy Titans and I'll definitely give it a shot.

#4177 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto: Yup, he'll be writing Dick in Action 1001 and then Batgirl, Red Hood and Robin in Leviathan. He definitely has Jon/Damian interactions planned as well for later down the road. So he's going to be writing the core family over the course of the next few months.

@entropy_aegis said:

I heard that the core cast was lousy and underdeveloped.

Dick, Kory, Gar and Raven were the core, and I wouldn't call any of them underdeveloped. The series has some grave issues but devoting time in its main cast was not really one of them. They also did really well with any guest appearances - be it the Doom Patrol episodes, Donna or Hawk and Dove. Jason was the only guy that was ridiculously bad.

No idea what they're thinking with Glen. He's a decent actor, and a charismatic one. But those traits alone are not enough when he doesn't look the part at all. He would had been good as a geriatric Bruce from Batman Beyond, not a Batman that should more or less be in his prime.

Can't wait until Bane takes over Gotham but instead of focusing on the action we take a 10 issue break for the Bane-mares, where Bane is dosed with fear toxin and relives Catwoman breaking his back. Nothing escapes the mighty Cat.

Just what I heard, though what you said about Hawk & Dove and the Doom Patrol does match.

I've expressed my desire to have Slade kill him lol.

Nuh uh, even that has the potential to be semi interesting, Bane instead will nightmare about Bruce and Selina cuddling each other and drinking different types of wine because King wants everything to be as utterly dull and boring as possible.

#4178 Posted by TDK_1997 (18804 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Yeah, I do understand you because my first thought was the very same "He's too old.". However, I was thinking many sceptical things about the show as a whole, about the cast and the direction they would take, but at the end I was suprised. And as much as I want to say that he is old and he definitely doesn't look the part, I mean he is far from it, I am willing to not be sceptical for the first time ever lol.

However, I have a different problem with what is happening atm with Titans - the newcoming characters. There is just too much of them and all of them are supposed to have a major role in Season 2 and it just feels like it will be a giant mess rather than something good.

#4179 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Bendis just unleashed a storm on Twitter by calling Tim "the best Robin" and Damian "not even close to the best Robin" LOL. However in that same post he confirmed Damian's involvement in Event Leviathan alonside Red Hood, Batgirl and Nightwing and also confirmed that Tim wont be in it. So technically Tim is still getting the step child treatment even from Bendis.

I dunno what to make of this, I really hope DC doesn't make the boneheaded decision of letting a guy who does not even write a Batbook stripping the Robin ID from Damian and to prop a mediocre selling title like YJ and soon to be on the lower end of the sales spectrum when it completes its first arc.

Robins have a good legacy of evolving and carving a niche for themselves. Tim is the only black mark in that legacy. For me its not even about Damian, even though I'm a fan of the character, what is important to me is the sanctity of the Bat mythos and forward progression. There's no need to violate all that to satisfy the aging fanbase of a 90's relic who has no mainstream footprint.

Its going to cause disruptions and I can even see potential retcons. For instance I can see in such circumstances Damian and Tim switching places in the order of Robins via retcon. Age is another thing thats going to be retconned. Its gonna mess up everything.

#4180 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: If he is arguing who is the superior Robin and not the superior character, then Damian is among the worst Robins along with Jason and Steph. I doubt it's arguable that if they were not father and son, Damian would have been kicked to the curb after nearly killing Tim and executing the Spook, all in one night. Dick and Tim were good partners to Bruce, Damian steadily grew into his own but was better with Dick as Batman; Jason was poor and Steph... the less said the better.

Tim was a better character pre-FP, not anymore. I agree Bendis shifting through continuity the way he would his wardrobe is dangerous, even though nobody cares about continuity in DC.

#4181 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Unfortunately there's no way of knowing what he really meant. Moreover I think its just his way of trying to get Tim back.

While I have no doubt that the current Batoffice is weak and spineless and therefore is likely to bend over for Bendis but at the same I believe Damian's protection goes all the way beyond DC to WB. Its why Snyder couldn't get Duke off the ground as Robin WB simply wasn't buying it. Having animated films and video games to your credit has its privileges.

#4182 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: If Bendis truly wants to reinstate Tim, he should write Batman. YJ was a mediocre publicity stunt that won't last, not with the quality of Bendis' writing there, at least.

Damian's ample appearances in various media could ensure the safety of his status, but Bendis can also be very singular in his thinking once he takes a liking to a character (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones).

#4183 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Solicits are out, big month for Bane. Not only is he in King's Batman but also Last Knight and Secret files special.

Dick maybe returning back to his old self.

Also I was wrong about Bendis, Tim is the one who is going to get a new name.

Joker's in Tec...ugh,

https://www.newsarama.com/44744-dc-comics-july-2019-solicitations.html

Edit: More in depth views

• Scott is leaving Batgirl and 37 starts a "Year of the Villain" tie inn featuring Killer Moth and Oracle, Lex makes an offer.
  • Nightwing is being hunted by the Court of Owls who are also made an offer by Lex, I'm guessing this is how we get Dick back. I wonder if Cobb will be the Talon stalking Dick, hard to believe he's been in limbo for almost half a decade.
  • Jason also gets an offer from Lex
  • According to Outsiders Ra's is broke lol, so Lex gives him an offer too
  • Tec has Joker and the Legion of Doom and Lex curing Nora
  • Catwoman also gets a visit from Lex
  • Last Knight 2 has a creepy Bane/Scarecrow hybrid.
  • Bane finally takes over and looks like Thomas Wayne will be Batman, Lex approaches Bane as well but I have a feeling Bane will reject the offer only if so King doesn't have to bother with it all.
  • Secret files 2 has a collection of short stories about Bane, Psycho Pirate, Hugo Strange, Joker, Riddler. I like the talent involved and if I were to guess then I'd say Kelly and Lanzing will write Bane, Orlando will write Strange, Kubert gets Joker, Seeley will work on Riddler and that leaves Mairghread Scott with Psycho Pirate.
  • New guy using the Deathstroke identity(Joe?) and Joe gets a visit from Lex. Plus Rose goes after Slade's killer, Ravager vs Robin incoming?
  • Start of Curse of the White Knight
  • Adventures of Super Sons ends
  • Lex visits Lobo in Teen Titans
  • Tim gets a new name in YJ
  • Then there's Event Leviathan and DCEASED
  • Also is it just me or have all the ongoing Bat books gotten involved in Year of the Villain? Harley is also a part of it
  • Tynion has been posting designs of Batman/TMNT 3 crossover. Characters are getting merged or something Splinter/Alfred, Robins/Turtles, Joker/Shredder etc looks amusing, plus a neat Deadshot redesign but he fires stars and darts not bullets, take that Bullseye.
#4184 Edited by Magian (152477 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Now that I'm curious to see. Liked the Red Robin name as an alternate name but I wouldn't mind a new one that has nothing to do with Robin.

Maybe Savior? :P

Kinda tempted to check the Jimmy Olsen book. Sounds like it could be fun.

#4185 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#4186 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: @magian: @entropy_aegis: Do you guys gonna pick up new batman and the outsiders book ?

I dont think so, didn't care for the set up arc. I'm all for Hill writing more Bruce but he didn't really let the Outsiders team make much of an impression nor did he truly define why its needed or what purpose its even going to serve. Secondly I was hoping Ra's al Ghul was going to be rested for a while. Atleast long enough for the Talia & Leviathan angles to run their course and for the writers/editors to sit down and decide what to do moving ahead. Another thing of importance is that it was delayed so that it could be more in sync with "events" and Ra's is being forced in to the third issue already, seems like it'll be a tertiary event fodder book.

Finally I believe Hill hinted at moving to Hollywood permanently a while back so it doesn't seem like there's a long term strategy for this book.

#4187 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#4188 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Lex doing the rounds and making offers reminds me a lot of the Society's recruiting 15 years ago.

Come to think of it, Tomasi has not really written the Joker in anything except a Death of the Family tie-in, hasn't he? I'm going to be curious about his iteration, at least.

I know it was specific to his quest for Bruce's return, but I always liked Tim as Red Robin. He was distinct, the look was a neat callback to Kingdom Come and it supported Tim's maturation from Robin into something different, like Dick becoming Nightwing.

Priest actually had T'Challa replaced near the conclusion of his Black Panther run so it's amusing/not entirely unexpected to see him going for it again with Deathstroke.

I like Bane's resurgence, even though I remain skeptical on the quality of those stories. I don't have faith in King to deliver.

#4189 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Now that I'm curious to see. Liked the Red Robin name as an alternate name but I wouldn't mind a new one that has nothing to do with Robin.

Knowing Bendis, it will be sh!t. Redder Robin :/.

Young Knight. :/

#4190 Edited by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 69 preview

https://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-preview-see-how-the-knightmare-ends-in-batman-69/

Well, the story is FINALLY moving ahead. When I first saw Thomas and Bane sparring I thought it was Bruce dreaming about being buddies with Bane in his old age lol. Then I remembered Thomas and smacked my forehead. Ofcourse when Flashpoint ended I really thought that was the end of that version of Batman. Last thing I expected was him and Bane being bros.

Teen Titans 29 preview is avialable on cbr

Edit:

Bendis interview about Leviathan. Also has 2 pages from the "Year of the Villain" one shot featuring Green Arrow, Batgirl and um Dr Doom. 2 pages from Leviathan Rising one shot featuring Talia and Superman.

https://amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/brian-michael-bendis-teases-the-secrets-of-event-l.html

The important takeaway is that fans should start worrying about their favorites becoming villains and secondly that Bendis plans on essentially creating one H.Y.D.R.A (in Leviathan) and one S.H.I.E.L.D style organization. I'm not a fan of this at all, DC isn't Marvel. If someone wants to use KOBRA they'll use it and they wont give a crap about this story.

#4191 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

@morpheus_: Reminds me of Neron in Underworld Unleashed.

Yup and I welcome the return of what I believe is going to be the classic Joker. But still JOKER... and Mr Freeze is boring AF, would've liked to see Tomasi write Two-Face again or even take a shot at the Riddler.

The New 52 gutted all that, they undid the Morrison era before everyone could find their feet and solidify themselves in their positions and to make it worse they erased history as well. Morrison planned on an Outsiders relaunch with Tim. They should've let Morrison do as he wished. Steph, Tim and probably even Cass would've benefited.

Was T'Challa actually dead?,

I look forward to the short story at the least expect Kelly and Lanzing or even the other writers to give Bane more depth.

#4192 Edited by Magian (152477 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto: Well on the cover he is still wearing his Robin suit, so a name that has something to do with it isn't out of the question really. But yeah, I'm not expecting much either.

#4193 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Tom King interview

Link

Yeah, I'm starting to agree with Morph, this run is not going to have any meaningful resolutions and answers. I'm utterly shocked, King's inability to remember his own stories and other stories he's referencing is truly amazing. Even more shocking is his inability to convey his ideas properly. When there is a clearly disconnect between what you put on the page and what you say in an interview then its clear you're a rubbish writer. Take this for example:

Newsarama: Tom, we’re in the midst of the “Knightmares” arc. Assuming that is correct and he’s experiencing his deepest fears, does that mean his deepest fears are connected to Catwoman?

Tom King: Yes, the whole thing is centered around Catwoman. The idea is that the only way for Batman to wake up, which you’re slowly seeing him do, you’re seeing him execute this strategy over these seven issues, where he’s looking for his greatest fear, is he needs to almost shocked out of this nightmare.

And he’s figured out slowly that his greatest fear has something to do with Catwoman.

Greatest fear has something to do with Catwoman eh? if thats the case then why are there 4 different Catwoman Knightmares? and if the intensity of the succeeding Knightmare is greater than the previous one then how do we go from Selina dying to Selina in a tub with Lois? worse the sequence is also narratively whack, you have the bachlorette party knightmare after you have the married life knightmare. King should just admit he wrote the last issue for fan service and because he was not content with the actual version written by Seeley and because Amanda Conner wanted it.

and what strategy is King even talking about? has he even bothered to read his own books? there's been nothing beyond Knightmare Constantine telling Batman he's stuck in a dream world.

Moving on

Nrama: We also saw at the end of the last issue that he’s inside some sort of machine. The implication is that the confrontation with his father led to him being trapped in this machine. So is this all tied to Scarecrow as opposed to Psycho-Pirate?

King: Yeah, in issue #63, Batman specifically says that he knows it’s Scarecrow gas and he’s tied to a machine.

Um, dream Constantine specifically says that not Batman, wish I could dismiss this as some typo but I cant, there's a whole pattern here.

Nrama: Let’s talk about just how long-term Bane’s plan is, because we discovered at the end of issue #50 that all these villains from your run are actually part of Bane’s plan. Has Bane been pulling the strings since your first issue #1?

King: I mean, that’s a big reveal that we’ll be getting into as we go forward, but I think you can see at the end of issue #50, that Hugo Strange is there as one of his sort of minions.

And if you look in issue #1, as that plane crashes down with Batman on top of it, you see Hugo Strange watching.

So cause Hugo was in 1 and he was in 50, it automatically means everything is all tied up neatly... the f*ck?

King: Right. Well, you have to remember that Flashpoint Batman — his wife became Joker and he had to kill his own wife because of that. This is not a man who’s in his right mind.

FAIL, Flashpoint Batman did not kill his wife.

Also it seems like King will just use Metal to handwave Flashpoint Batman's existence on Earth Prime. Just baffled at how a key point in his 105 issue narrative is reliant on a Doomsday Clock prelude and another writers event and yet he doesn't overtly count them as part of his run either because of the involvement of other writers, hence why he went from 100 to 105 issues.

#4194 Posted by Morpheus_ (34790 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: One of the reasons I believe that Batman's continuity desperately needs the Superman Reborn is treatment is that writers keep thinking they write the same characters that existed pre-FP: they don't, and pushing Tim, Cass, JPV, or even Bane without the development that actually made those characters worthwhile is folly.

This mini rant was elicited by you mentioning Freeze: who cares about Freeze if his backstory is that he was obsessed with a woman he never met, which is his established origin in the N52?

I don't believe Tomasi can surpass himself when it comes to Two-Face. If editorial had actually let the character die it would had been a story for the ages.

Wait, Morrison asked for the Outsiders and they didn't let him proceed? Are they insane?

T'Challa had suffered brain damage after fighting Iron Fist.

#4195 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman 69 was just too little too late when it comes to salvaging Knightmares. The only good thing about it is that this issue could easily be read after 60 which makes the other 8 issues completely worthless. They were already kinda worthless but King just sealed it here.

I was also off in my predictions about the Secret Files short stories.

Kelly and Lanzing will be writing Psycho Pirate, kinda funny how this guy of all people has become a Batman villain.

Seeley will be writing Bane. Not sure about this, I like Seeley a lot but his take on Bane in Eternal was just bad, humiliated him at both Croc's and Ivy's hands and he threw him aside in the Injustice Crossover.

Steve Orlando wants to keep his character a surprise, Risso will be drawing his portion.

Teen Titans was pretty good, cant wait to see what Slade actually has planned.

@entropy_aegis: One of the reasons I believe that Batman's continuity desperately needs the Superman Reborn is treatment is that writers keep thinking they write the same characters that existed pre-FP: they don't, and pushing Tim, Cass, JPV, or even Bane without the development that actually made those characters worthwhile is folly.

This mini rant was elicited by you mentioning Freeze: who cares about Freeze if his backstory is that he was obsessed with a woman he never met, which is his established origin in the N52?

I don't believe Tomasi can surpass himself when it comes to Two-Face. If editorial had actually let the character die it would had been a story for the ages.

Wait, Morrison asked for the Outsiders and they didn't let him proceed? Are they insane?

T'Challa had suffered brain damage after fighting Iron Fist.

Its like beating a dead horse at this point, why they're so allergic to past arcs is beyond me especially since the New 52 was long abandoned. The Bat office is particularly stubborn that way.

Pretty much.

I can only hope that he atleast tries, Dent is obviously too iconic to die and since he's back I'd like for Tomasi to explore the ramifications of the Big Burn.

Yeah he had plans for Tim and the Outsiders, New 52 killed it.

Damn, you dont see that in comics too often but I guess Priest did something similar in Deathstroke with Slade's mental health.

Avatar image for captainsnart008
#4196 Posted by CaptainSnart008 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto said:
@magian said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Knowing Bendis, it will be sh!t. Redder Robin :/.

Young Knight. :/

I don't hate that last one. I'm thinking maybe flamebird or sparrow.

#4197 Edited by Magian (152477 posts) - - Show Bio

@captainsnart008: Don't see them using Flamebird, that name is too associated with Bette Kane even though I'm not sure she is using it at the moment.

Funny thing, Sparrow was the name used back in the 90s by that Robin/Jubilee fusion during that whole DC vs Marvel thing.

#4198 Posted by jake_fury (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Tec 1001 was a good start to the AK arc IMO.

Red Hood 33 seemed like a flashback to a bunch of things Lobdell used in previous arcs (N52) I didn’t much care for. The Penguin having a hit squad of All Caste members on call seemed odd.

#4199 Posted by Eto (5355 posts) - - Show Bio

@magian: @jake_fury:

lmao

#4200 Posted by entropy_aegis (20921 posts) - - Show Bio

That's one thing I dont have a problem with, Bane's been nude before in Secret Six, Cconquest and Vengeance of Bane, we've seen him in his underwear and when he's not (almost) nude or wearing his costume he's often shirtless.

I definitely do envision Bane as the kind of man who either wears his costume or is nude. Seeing him in shirts and suits always did come across as rather unusual, makes him look rather normal.

So Tec was great, I loved the art, Walker puts a lot of detail and I loved his shots of the Arkham Knight costume. Was very Damian centric but he was clearly over his head the whole time. Another thing I noticed is that Tomasi wrote him rougher than he does in Super Sons.

The AK also revealed himself to Damian, I loved that, it means we'll be getting a reveal quite soon instead of it being stretched out and it certainly seems to be someone we know. The Knight isn't all that bad either, it does seem that he's either badly misguided or has some legit beef with Batman. There were time when he was outright heroic, which Batman himself noted.

Also lol at AK already having designed a costume for Robin. I did groan initially since between then al Ghul's, Morgan and Slade we've already have stories about Damian being tempted to the dark side by some evil mentor figure. Here however the Knight wants Damian to join him but he wants Damian to shun his dark side, its a neat twist.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.