Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

Alcatraz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2501  Edited By Alcatraz2

Kate getting the CW treatment is exactly what I perceive to be justice. - This.

I heard rumors that there was going to be something Batman related in CWArrowverse, and I got worried. I am glad it's just Batwoman. - And this.

On a more interesting note, that Batman Begins opening scene where Bruce goes out to learn martial arts was inspired from Priest's Batman run. He wrote a similar scene like that in the comics.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Batwoman on CW

LMAO karma

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

New Tomasi interview about his creator owned work "The Bridge". The Batman related bits are.

IV:On your personal Mount Rushmore of (real-life) comic-book icons, whose faces appear?

T:It'd have to be a lot bigger than Rushmore to accommodate them all, but a few would be: Jack Kirby, Bill Finger, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Stan Lee, Denny O' Neil, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Jim Aparo, Neal Adams, John Romita, John Buscema, Gil Kane, Len Wein, Robert Kanigher, Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, John Byrne, Alex Toth, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, and a few dozen others.

Surprised he didn't mention Morrison.

IV:Whose your all-time favorite comic-book superhero and supervillain and why?

T:I'd have to say Batman, which I really enjoyed writing for almost 5 years (Batman and Robin), not to mention it was the first comic book I purchased and Halloween costume worn, along with the stupendous TV show in all its primary color glory. And I'd have to say the Joker — nothing scarier for a kid (hell, even an adult when you think of Heath Ledger's portrayal) of a villain who smiles as he kills.

Even more surprising. I honestly thought Two Face or Ra's were his favorites. Would've even put Bane over the Joker based on the frequency of characters Tomasi has used. Well goes to show that just because you love a character doesn't even you have to shill him every damn time.

IV:Which on-the-horizon DC project do you have coming up that you are really excited about?

T:I wish I could tell you, but the DC Comics Flying Monkeys would swoop down and whisk me away into the night. Let's just say they're popular characters and leave it at that.

More teasing ugh.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@entropy_aegis: So if Hill's arc on Tec is being moved back by Moreci's filler, does that contradict Tomasi's statement on his next announcement for DC coming in August? Then again popular is Batman's definition these days so maybe Tomasi is just being cagey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
    deactivated-5bf470b432518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

New Tomasi interview about his creator owned work "The Bridge". The Batman related bits are.

IV:On your personal Mount Rushmore of (real-life) comic-book icons, whose faces appear?

T:It'd have to be a lot bigger than Rushmore to accommodate them all, but a few would be: Jack Kirby, Bill Finger, Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Stan Lee, Denny O' Neil, Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, Jim Aparo, Neal Adams, John Romita, John Buscema, Gil Kane, Len Wein, Robert Kanigher, Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, John Byrne, Alex Toth, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, and a few dozen others.

Surprised he didn't mention Morrison.

IV:Whose your all-time favorite comic-book superhero and supervillain and why?

T:I'd have to say Batman, which I really enjoyed writing for almost 5 years (Batman and Robin), not to mention it was the first comic book I purchased and Halloween costume worn, along with the stupendous TV show in all its primary color glory. And I'd have to say the Joker — nothing scarier for a kid (hell, even an adult when you think of Heath Ledger's portrayal) of a villain who smiles as he kills.

Even more surprising. I honestly thought Two Face or Ra's were his favorites. Would've even put Bane over the Joker based on the frequency of characters Tomasi has used. Well goes to show that just because you love a character doesn't even you have to shill him every damn time.

IV:Which on-the-horizon DC project do you have coming up that you are really excited about?

T:I wish I could tell you, but the DC Comics Flying Monkeys would swoop down and whisk me away into the night. Let's just say they're popular characters and leave it at that.

More teasing ugh.

Basically Tomasi's the opposite of Snyder lol.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

One of Tomasi's projects is going to be "Adventures of Super Sons", a 12-issue series coming out on August 1st.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am glad to hear that Tomasi is one of those people that may love a character to a big extent but he won't try to push him down our throats with some filler story, so he can just write him that one time. That is why I have always loved Tomasi as a creator.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2508 morpheus_  Moderator

I've read a decent portion of Tomasi's work (GLC, Black Adam, Nightwing, Batman & Robin) and I honestly had no idea he even liked the Joker.

I genuinely don't understand why Batman books are oversaturated with him. Lex Luthor is a bit of rarity in the sense that he can play so many different roles (expert chess master, corrupted businessman, mad scientist, successful politician, stern anti-hero), depending on the writer's whims, but no other arch-villain in Marvel or DC appears as frequently as that imbecile does.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2510  Edited By Lvenger

At least there’ll be one series in which Damian appears where he’s guaranteee to be treated well now. The Bat Family has been sidelining Damian and Glass doesn’t look like he’ll do Damian justice so good thing Tomasi is sticking around.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infantfinite128: No prob.

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis: So if Hill's arc on Tec is being moved back by Moreci's filler, does that contradict Tomasi's statement on his next announcement for DC coming in August? Then again popular is Batman's definition these days so maybe Tomasi is just being cagey.

The project is a 12 issue Super Sons maxi series.

I've read a decent portion of Tomasi's work (GLC, Black Adam, Nightwing, Batman & Robin) and I honestly had no idea he even liked the Joker.

I genuinely don't understand why Batman books are oversaturated with him. Lex Luthor is a bit of rarity in the sense that he can play so many different roles (expert chess master, corrupted businessman, mad scientist, successful politician, stern anti-hero), depending on the writer's whims, but no other arch-villain in Marvel or DC appears as frequently as that imbecile does.

He only used the character in DOTF and that too because it was a tie inn to Snyder's story.

I think Snyder contributes to about 40-50% of the oversaturation directly and I'm sure he indirectly contributes as well.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2512  Edited By entropy_aegis

@saren said:

One of Tomasi's projects is going to be "Adventures of Super Sons", a 12-issue series coming out on August 1st.

I'm...underwhelmed kind of. This pretty much ensures that:

A) Tomasi wont write Tec because according to him the other project will be released in December.

B) We're not getting a Tec team announcement this month either.

Back on the Priest train.

I also dont understand why they cancelled Super Sons only to release a maxi a mere 2 months later. I now hope it deals with the adult versions of these characters. Otherwise I'm not getting the point of a relaunch.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2513  Edited By Magian

So if Batwoman exists in the CWverse does this mean thay Batman exists as well, right? Curious to see if they are going to do it the Supergirl way or incorporate it into the main universe. And she definitely hooking up with Sara lol

Glad the Super-Sons are returning although they could just continue publishing the book they canceled. Ohh well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Sons is the best Rebirth title IMO.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2515  Edited By entropy_aegis

@all-father said:Super Sons is the best Rebirth title IMO.

Its tied with Deathstroke for me with Superman following it.

Oh and Snyder's reasons for using the Joker in JL:

“Luthor has this vision all of a sudden of what we’re supposed to be as a species…and he sees the Joker as a great inspiration in the story.”

But why add the Joker to the Legion of Doom? According to Snyder, “Joker is almost a touchstone for [Luthor] to go back and say, ‘Am I doing this right? Does this bring us closer to what we’re supposed to be?’ Joker gleefully plays that role.”

MAKES NO SENSE.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2516  Edited By entropy_aegis

@magian said: So if Batwoman exists in the CWverse does this mean thay Batman exists as well, right? Curious to see if they are going to do it the Supergirl way or incorporate it into the main universe. And she definitely hooking up with Sara lol

Glad the Super-Sons are returning although they could just continue publishing the book they canceled. Ohh well.

You know its telling that everywhere I go people are less interested in seeing how her story plays out and how she's introduced and more interested in what her presence means for Batman and whether she hooks up with Sara or Alex. There's about zero interest in Kate Kane herself aside from existing fanbase.

Not directed at you Magian but if Batman fans expressed out loud any desire to see him hook up with characters x,y,z then people would jump on them and accuse them of Batgod wankery and Gary Stuism and whatever.

As for Batman, if they're following the Rucka model... which they 100% wont but assuming they do then her addition means jacksquat for Batman. Her association with Batman is just a recent and desperate ploy to keep her in publication and relevance because they ran out of actual stories to tell with her. All they really need under the Rucka model is a barely visible outline of Batman saving her from being mugged and a quick glimpse of the Bat signal and we're set.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis:

So if Batwoman exists in the CWverse does this mean thay Batman exists as well, right?

The CW gives so many references and statements about Batmans existence without ever showing him. Tbh they probably never will.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.cbr.com/batman-kings-of-fear-kelley-jones/2/

BATMAN: KINGS OF FEAR #1

• written by SCOTT PETERSON
    • art and cover by KELLEY JONES
    • color by MICHELLE MADSEN
    • lettering by ROB LEIGH
    • variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
    • Legendary artist Kelley Jones makes his triumphant return to the Dark Knight in this explosive miniseries written by former BATMAN editor Scott Peterson! Batman’s been overseeing Gotham City for years now and isn’t sure how much of a difference he’s making. Doubt, fear and insecurity are starting to take over. And as all of those negative feelings set in the Scarecrow orchestrates a riot in Arkham Asylum to give the Dark Knight one of his greatest challenges yet! This six-issue miniseries will see the Scarecrow in a horrifying new way that you’ll have to read to believe.
    • ON SALE 08.22.18

The Batman is back!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2519  Edited By entropy_aegis

Pass, nothing about it excites me. Sounds like a generic filler story and Jones hasn't been attached to a good Batman writer since forever. They're probably only publishing this because there wont be any other Batman title apart from Batman and Tec in August aside from Creature of the Night's final issue being published.

https://www.cbr.com/batman-kings-of-fear-kelley-jones/

Preview and interview

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomasi has given interview for Adventures of Super Sons and has previews for Super Sons 16 and the Dynomutt Special.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/05/get-the-exclusive-scoop-on-adventures-of-the-super.html

Basically Damian and Jon travel through space. They will fight a gang of intergallactic youngsters who're inspired by Earth villains. Takes place BEFORE MOS. Lol Robin and Azrael are travelling through space while Batman is playing house husband while Nightwing is being babysitted.

Batman Beyond 20 preview, Matt becomes Robin

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.monkeysfightingrobots.co/exclusive-preview-batman-beyond-20-a-new-robin-takes-flight/amp/

With King hinting at a Scarecrow arc in the future, Batman Beyond's upcoming arc and King's of Fear looks like its Crane's turn to shine.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catwoman is getting her own solo series, first issue shipping out in July. Let's see if it can do better than her New 52 series and undo Kings work.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2523  Edited By ZariusII

Selina will debut a new costume and will flee Gotham City in the second issue of her solo series, returning to her home town and running afoul of a crime boss she has to team up with

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05/21/joelle-jones-redesigns-catwoman/

I don't think this bat wedding is happening, if it does, the two will still be separated pretty quickly.

Not unless the solicits are lying again. Wouldn't be the first time.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um Gotham is her hometown.

Silencer 5 preview

https://www.google.com/amp/www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-preview-in-the-silencer-5-deathstroke-forces-honor-to-confront-a-dangerous-truth/amp/

Titans and JL group solicits

I think DC may be going overboard with the cosmic stuff. Everyones going to space apparantely even Joker.

JLO and Teen Titans look fun though. I have no hope for Titans and I'll avoid Tynion. Still haven't gotten over Joker being on the LOD.

Oh and if anyone here is on reddit then they should know that Snyder is doing an AMA there in one hour and 5 minutes. So go ask him anything. Hopefully someone asks him about the Last Knight's release date.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the preview of Supersons/Dynomutt, and I loved this comment by Damian:

No Caption Provided

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Catwoman is getting her own solo series, first issue shipping out in July. Let's see if it can do better than her New 52 series and undo Kings work.

Come to think of it, it'd be hilarious if that title gives us better storytelling. Didn't know the artist was awriter as well. Interesting.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the preview of Supersons/Dynomutt, and I loved this comment by Damian:

No Caption Provided

Snarky and egotistical overconfidence but not overly jerk like. Tomasi can balance Damian the best outside of Morrison.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read any of Joelle Jones work, if anyone has do tell if it was good or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really seeing the difference between her ordinary costume and this. The only difference is that her armpits are showing lmao

Preview is saying this :

Gotham’s a toxic litter box for Selina Kyle of late, so she hits the road looking to clear the air, change her look and clear her name, too—there’s a copycat burglar swiping her M.O. who needs sorting out. In her hometown, Catwoman runs afoul of a crime boss who’s also hunting this impostor. Can the two declare a truce to hunt a mutual enemy, or will Selina end up just more roadkill?

No Caption Provided

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um Gotham is her hometown.

Must have misread something then

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are those armpits? Lel

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii: so this means the wedding wont stick then

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: No goggles, different shows and gloves, arm pits and that's it, I guess the Cooke design has become her standard.

Full solicit

Solicits

A whole lot of annuals, Batgirl, Nightwing and Red Hood etc. Batman will be showing up in Silencer annual alongside a mystery rogue and Red Hood & the Outlaws. Batwoman cancelled. No team on Tec announced, that along with Hal Jordan and Wonder Woman shakeups is probably reserved for next month. Catwoman looks intriguing and love that Batman Beyond cover. Nightwing seems to be trying to transform Bludhaven.

Something finally might be happening in King's Batman, MAYBE lol.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cover to RHATO #25:

No Caption Provided

Seems like Jason is going to break his promise and Bruce as well.

Damn son.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2536  Edited By ZariusII

@jameswayne said:

@zariusii: so this means the wedding wont stick then

That, or it still happens but the situation with the imposter means Selina has to seperate from Bruce pretty quickly, with Bruce maybe trusting her to clear her name and get on with his own life while she gets on with sorting out her own, and they'll reunite when that's done.

This is the way the relationship has been developed over the course of the last year or so...that the two don't really need to do everything together and go about doing their own thing. Theirs may not be a very conventional marriage, which allows for the kind of flexable storytelling Batman needs.

Doctor Who has a a similar marriage between the lead character and River Song.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2537 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I don't think anything is really happening in King's Batman, the premise is simply more intriguing than most storylines that preceded it.

Most of the other Batman related solicitations are interesting, though. But I'm waiting for the shoe to drop regarding Tec's new creative team.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: whatever the new team, I just hope it’s a Batman focused book. Not family. Tynions response of “they’re popular characters” when asked what he’s working on next worried me a bit if he takes on tec.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2539 morpheus_  Moderator

@jameswayne: I haven't read Tynion's interview but he's already on Tec, he can't possibly continue. Unless you meant another writer?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: He confused Tynion with Tomasi. Tomasi talked about working on popular characters before the Super Sons announcement. But its all void after the Super Sons announcement.

I'm dying to hear about who'll take over Tec. Tomasi's other project will be released in December by his own admission so I dont think he'll be taking over Tec unless he lied. Either that or another 6 issue filler arc is coming but that would give Tomasi only 6 issues for himself before Tec 1000, the man wont even have time to adjust and yet DC HAS to announce new teams on GL, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad and Tec by September. Its more neat this way.

You're most likely right about Batman but they did withhold the solicit for 53 which indicates a major event or maybe it was just a mistake lol.

As usual we have to look elsewhere to satisfy the Batman fix via other books. In August its going to be Deathstroke, Silencer and Red Hood.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: sorry, what entropy aegis said, I meant to say Tomasi.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2543  Edited By ZariusII

So Tynion wraps everything up

Turns out in the real future, Kate only killed Bruce at Bruce's request as he was dying anyway (exposure to radioactive isotopes when building Brother Eye)

Tim and Steph head out of town and towards new adventures (Tim kind of lies about heading to Ivy University to Bruce, but is really more interested in exploring divergent timelines)

Cass moves in with Thompkins and will work closely with Babs

Clayface is alive, departs Gotham with Victoria, leaves a note for Cass

Azrael's been in talks with Cyborg

Luke is lying low trying to modify Brother Eye so it does'nt become a pain in the ass in the future.

The colony is disbanded, Kate and Bruce make peace, Kate gets her bat symbol back and heads off to fight the religion of evil

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zariusii:

A completely random ass pull out of nowhere.

This might get picked up.

This wont get picked up from what I can see. Babsgirl writers have no reason to bother with Cass.

So this runs big moment has already been reversed lol. What was the point of this entire arc then? Another ass pull.

Credit for that goes to Williamson.

This translates to limbo.

So everything Tynion has done with Kate has been outright abandoned altogether. Ouch, Bennet's run is utterly meaningless now, it was a boring dreck anyway but this is just well... LOL I dont even have words.

While I'm incredibly pleased that Tynion has put all the toys back in the box I must ask, just what was the point of this run?

Cass got nothing

Steph got nothing

Luke got nothing

JPV got nothing

Clayface's reformation and death amounted to nothing

Kate got a relationship with Bruce and Tim got his old origin. Plus the Cass/Clayface relationship, these cover Tynion's entire list of accomplishments. After 48 issues, an annual and a bunch of Batwoman issues this is just unacceptable.

imSpitterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved Super Sons #16. It was an amazing run that I'm gonna miss.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2547 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Pleased to report Bogdanovic's tweets were very misleading and Slade was great in Silencer #5.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Pleased to report Bogdanovic's tweets were very misleading and Slade was great in Silencer #5.

Yes I was pleased and not sure whether its just coincidence or if it was pre planned but it works as a nice parallel piece to the current Deathstroke arc.

I really loved Super Sons #16. It was an amazing run that I'm gonna miss.

Yup it ended nicely, the boys will be back in their own Adventures of Super Sons book, there was even a tease.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2549 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: One of the few current Deathstroke appearances outside of his own book where he was multifaceted and still several steps ahead of everyone. I'm glad Abnett justified my confidence in giving respect to his guest-stars. Not sure if it was planned, Abnett worked with Priest on Lazarus Contract, it's possible he consulted him.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tynion's afterword on his 'Tec run

https://jamestynioniv.tumblr.com/post/174168993023/a-few-words-about-tim-drake-and-detective-comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.