Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1451 morpheus_  Moderator

I'm meh about this. For one thing if they're willing to move Tynion then they should have gotten a new voice like Priest. Tomasi has an established large body of Bat work. I like him but I dont think there's much left for him to say in a standard Bat setting. Superman/Batman imo was the logical continuation. Honestly even he feels temporary.

Atleast Robin will be a thing again lol and Tomasi actually did make the effort to write Detective stories during his last brief stint.

Ofcourse this also means the end of jobber Batman, cousin Kate and wonderful Tim. Thank goodness.

Haha, agreed on all fronts. I'd have been curious to see someone like Priest tackle the book, but Tomasi will be an immense improvement from what we currently get. The man has proven he can write Batman.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Don't believe the rumor. Of course that's also what I want to believe as Tomasi taking over would be the worst case scenario.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@morpheus_: Anyone who's willing to write Batman would be an improvement over Tynion. Bonus points for actual detecting.

I also saw a preview for Bane Conquest and what caught my eye was that Marie Javins was listed as the group editor while another guy was the editor. Previously it was under the Bat office being edited by Chris Conroy. The office must be in a complete state of chaos right now. Thanks a lot King and just less than 2 years ago this was arguably the best office at DC. Now its gone to the dogs.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1454  Edited By entropy_aegis

So I'm just realizing that this thread will be abandoned in favor of another one when the summer status quo rolls in, crazy huh. My guesses on what to expect:

Twice monthly Batman by King, Janin is likely to move on elsewhere.

Cancellations for Batgirl, BOP, Batman Beyond and Batwoman.

If Tec does get taken over by Tomasi I suspect it will go monthly.

A Batfamily book by Tynion or Bennet which will be monthly but this depends on the Tomasi rumor.

Harley and Nightwing will go monthly, I suspect Harley's team will also be changed, possibly Nightwing's too but I'm less sure.

Maybe an all female book. I suspect atleast one or two female books.

Mother Panic and Silencer continue as usual until they're unsustainable. They're too fringe for changes.

Team wise I see Batman on JL but not on any other team, Dick will remain in some sort of Titans and Tim will end up in YJ if Tynion is writing it. Super Sons will continue but I suspect Damian will no longer be affiliated with TT unless Williamson get hold of one of those books.

All minis end by July, the last ones being Batman/Wonder Woman and Sins of the Father(based on Telltale).

Deathstroke vs Batman will probably be the final arc of Priest's book.

Jason Todd? I'm blank here.

Around that time I suspect Snyder and Murphy will announce Snyder's final Batman story, set for fall 2018.

So overall I dont see any special offerings.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1455  Edited By Aahz

Cancellations for Batgirl, BOP, Batman Beyond and Batwoman.

I think at least one of the female lead books will survive, or at least get a relaunch.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Tom King is gonna piss off people some more

No Caption Provided

Even Batgod lovers like myself are tired of this non sense and King is so horrible at fights and power level management that it wont even look entertaining or clever.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1457 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Unsurprising. King's Batman is either hilariously underpowered (exerting himself to beat fodder and loses to a mediocre fighter like Talia, gets his throat slit by Holly, struggles greatly against Riddler and Joker, gets stomped throughout the entire fight by Bane), or overwhelmingly powerful without reason (beating Slade and Floyd at once, one-shoots a Grundy that was taking on the Gothams, has a prolonged fight against Professor Zoom).

Now he will take on the mind-controlled League and probably win, because it's King. And we already had a League vs Batman fight in Snyder's Endgame with considerably higher stakes, this seems like a pointless rehash.

To your predictions, I don't see much reason for Jason's status quo to change. The book is doing OK commercially, it's at its peak critically and Lobdell has had free rein over the Red Hood for virtually the entirety of the post-Flashpoint universe.

I'd much rather see Tomasi assigned to a potential Young Justice book, would prefer that Priest's run does not end yet, and if Batwoman, of all characters, can have three on-goings since the N52 started, they can give a shot to Cassandra Cain, preferably at the hands of a competent writer.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I would put the Bane fight in the overpowered category for that ridiculous headbutt. That was Bane's fight to win dammit.

Its absolutely a pointless rehash. If Ivy could do all this then WOJAR should have ended a lot sooner. He cant even keep track of his own story.

I guess you're right about Jason.

The danger of assigning Tomasi to a YJ book is that it will get fans of the YJ 4 generation in a riot. Tomasi is the Damian and Jon guy. I dont see Tim and Conner fans and fans of that generation as a whole supporting such a book especially with those characters about to star in the cartoon show.They'll be more than happy with Tynion and frankly so will I. Its raises the possibility of me not having to deal with him on Batman any longer.

If Priest goes Marvel exclusive then its a done deal imo.

I think they should try something with Cass in those experimental lines like Young Animal. If I'm being honest there's no real hope for her in the mainstream Bat books. Babs is Batgirl which I think is a policy mandated by higher ups at DC. Batman writers save Brubaker have never shown any interest in her. A new young creator with less requirements in Young Animal could do wonders for her.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1459  Edited By KiMonkey

@entropy_aegis:Of those currently working at DC, I'd like to see Williamson get Young Justice. He's the one bringing Bart back, he loves the original book and the little I've read from him has been pretty good, somewhat better than Tynion and MUCH better than Tomasi's usual output.

I'd be down for a Young Animal Cass book, but I see no reason why she couldn't have a mainline book, other than just the higher-ups not liking her. Batgirl, DC is probably going to keep around, maybe relaunch it or get Artgerm to do variants like they did for Supergirl after its Rebirth sales quickly went to crap, but Batwoman, BoP and Beyond all have upcoming expiration dates. Like Morpheus said, they've given Kate several chances so they should give another shot to Cass, the lead of one of the most successful BatFamily solos (Nightwing, Robin and Selina's first ongoing are all that have her beat) and by far their most successful POC lead, who still has large fan demand. All she'd need was a better codename, which Tynion will hopefully provide soon, a decent amount of promotion, which is a longshot, but word of mouth could make up for it somewhat, and a good writer, of which there are a few who would be interested. Bryan Hill has stated she's the character he wants to write the most, Simone believes others would be better at it but she'd still like to write her at some point and Tynion would probably be happy to write it as well, to which I'd have little problem with since Cass is one of the characters he writes pretty well and even if plenty of people dislike his writing, he still has tons of fans. Other writers not working for DC currently like Valentine also have interest.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I'm hoping it's not a fight, I'm hoping he's caught unawares and has to try to just reason with them. Cause if not, it's like you said, Snyder's story with ivy instead of joker. The thing is, King doesn't do clever well, so bruce will either get mauled or somehow punch them to death.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kimonkey: I found Williamson's Flash to be mediocre tbh. Besides I think he too leans in the Damian camp. Not saying that he or Tomasi cant write the Tim generation but truth is that Tynion will get first dibs on anything involving Tim. Overall Super Sons demonstrates to me that Tomasi is a superb fit for young heroes. More so than Snyder gang.

I do not believe Tynion is going to give anything to Cass. He keeps her around, that's the extent of his use for her. The stories he has written were just rewrites of some arcs from her first book. Imo his reintroduction has more damage than Beechen. They should've held off on both her and Steph till Rebirth and then reintroduced them as they were before Flashpoint. Even if someone wants to write them now they have deal with Tynion's creations. I have no idea who Bryan Hill is but Valentine is free to take a stab at any Batverse character.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1462 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I don't mind Bane overpowering Batman since he should be physically superior, but pre-FP it was never to an extent that Batman couldn't at least put up a fight (and more often than not, win). The fight ended with the asinine Bat headbutt; King reduced its outcome into a slogan.

I was actually thinking in regards to the book's quality as opposed to what would be beneficial to the Bat line of books - I'd much rather not see Tynion write Tim again. For all his professed love for him, he can't write him well to save his life. Even though Tomasi's sole attempt as a team book writer was by far his poorest work (Green Lantern Corps).

Both Cass and Azrael have proved they can sustain an on-going comfortably, at least much better than Kate or even Babs do. The only thing truly impeding Cassandra seems DC's push for Babs to be, under any condition, the current Batgirl. Almost seven years later, and she seems like a completely different (and inferior) character to Simone's Oracle.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1463  Edited By KiMonkey

@entropy_aegis:From Williamson, I've only read the issues of Flash with Wally along with Justice League vs Suicide Squad and I think he's okay. I highly doubt he's in the Damian camp, though he's definitely still a fan, considering his love for the YJ generation and that era of DC.

I still have some faith in Tynion based on interviews and reports from people who've talked to him, but that faith will dissipate if the arc after Batmen Eternal doesn't give her focus. He definitely hasn't done nearly as much damage to Cass as the likes of Beechen, Tomasi and DiDio, as even if the current Cass isn't as amazing as the original, I still really like her, and I doubt it would have ever been in the cards for their old selves to just reappear in Rebirth. Bryan Hill is the writer of the current Michael Cray series; easily one of DC's best books right now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: It was Bane on venom though something which the Pre Flashpoint Batman never ever contended with. Though here I suspect the storyline may have been tampered with. King talked about a death but DC just went ahead and released Conquest so ofourse no one died.

Ha I was thinking about the Batline.

I dont even give a frag about Batgirl now. She's a gimmick who's had more boy friends than good stories. If it were up to me I'd create a new Batgirl or just revert back to Stephanie.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1465 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: True, but early, less powerful versions of JPV managed to at least contend with Bane on venom (as did Croc, albeit briefly), Bruce would likely do the same. I consider Bane's feats while unenhanced to be superior.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Cass and Azrael have proved they can sustain an on-going comfortably, at least much better than Kate or even Babs do. The only thing truly impeding Cassandra seems DC's push for Babs to be, under any condition, the current Batgirl. Almost seven years later, and she seems like a completely different (and inferior) character to Simone's Oracle.

I doubt that Azrael could still sustain an on-going, ans I'm not sure if Cass could.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1467 morpheus_  Moderator

@aahz: They have proved they can in the past - I don't know if they now can either, but they definitely have a better shot at it if given the opportunity than Batwoman. She had her chance several times over and this Tec' run is basically Batwoman v3 in disguise. Enough is enough.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: I quite like JPV, but I do doubt his ability to sell a solo nowadays. Several factors went into his book lasting 100 issues such as having Denny O'Neil the entire time and there being a ton of buzz around the character after Knightfall. Unlike Cass though, his book actually was selling incredibly low numbers when it was cancelled and he hasn't managed to maintain as strong a fanbase through his years away. He's definitely still got fans, more than a lot of other characters, but I'm not sure its enough to support a solo. An Azrael mini would be cool, but I think Tim and Cass are the ones who have the best chances of having ongoings do pretty well. You just know we're gonna be seeing a 'The Signal' ongoing before any of this though.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Cass maybe, but Azrael is not nearly as popular as Batwoman at the moment. He might have been back in the 90s but I doubt that there is much left of it.

The character who would be most likely able to sustain a solo out of the TEC team is probably Tim, and imo he should soon get one (or at least team book with a very small cast like BOP or RHatO), or otherwise even he might not be able anymore.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kimonkey said:

@aahz: I quite like JPV, but I do doubt his ability to sell a solo nowadays. Several factors went into his book lasting 100 issues such as having Denny O'Neil the entire time and there being a ton of buzz around the character after Knightfall. Unlike Cass though, his book actually was selling incredibly low numbers when it was cancelled and he hasn't managed to maintain as strong a fanbase through his years away. He's definitely still got fans, more than a lot of other characters, but I'm not sure its enough to support a solo. An Azrael mini would be cool, but I think Tim and Cass are the ones who have the best chances of having ongoings do pretty well. You just know we're gonna be seeing a 'The Signal' ongoing before any of this though.

Like I said I don't think that his fan base is as big as Kate's. And even she has trouble to support an ongoing.

And in case of him and Cass I see also the biggest danger that they will just repeat old story beats from their pre flashpoint series.

I think Tim is the character that has currently the biggest need of a solo, since his live out of the costume was always a important part of his pre flashpoint characterisation and that's something they can't really reestablish in a team book.

In case of Cass it would it might be better to put her together with Steph in a book.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1471  Edited By KiMonkey

@aahz: I don't disagree that Azrael is less popular than Kate and I didn't say otherwise. At this point I think Kate may be more popular than even Steph.

That's a danger with pretty much any character or team.

For that, Tim wouldn't just need a solo, he'd need a writer who was actually interested in his life outside of the costume. And considering that, despite what he's said in the past, if he got a solo, Tynion would be the one to write it, that wouldn't happen. I think that Cass in general needs a solo more as there's a lot of things which need to be changed and restored for her, while with Tim, he mostly just needs better writing. Still, two books from the Bat-line will be ending soon, three batbooks overall, so like I said, give them both solos.

I wouldn't complain at all about that, even if I'd prefer a solo.

Avatar image for deactivated-62aed95594e07
    deactivated-62aed95594e07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't Poison Ivy create illusions? I hope the JL vs Batman is something like that, it would be extremely stupid if Bruce took down the League.

elsbook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: don't worry, Catwoman will probably show up to save the day and defeat the entire JL single handed, because why not at this point?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kimonkey: I thought JL vs SS was terrible but it was a crossover and I usually dont hold them against the writers. I think Williamson is the chief reason why Damian has a spot in Metal and No Justice as well as being a huge part of Gotham Resistance. Even that acknowledgement of Damian in Button was written by him. Certainly if left to just Snyder and Tynion I would never have seen any of that happening.

If the rumors are true then there is no arc after Batmen Eternal. That one ends in May and completes 2 years for Tynion. A creative change will occur in June if not then July which only gives Tynion 2 more issues.

Um I dont think Tomasi has even touched Cass. Why would he even want to damage her? He doesn't even strike me as a huge Babs fan either. He has no motive.

@morpheus_: I think its because we never truly saw Bane on venom long enough to assess his full power.

KiMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: As I said before, I don't believe the rumor to be true. I still think Tynion is going to make it to #1000.

Tomasi has made his dislike of Cass fairly blatant. He was the editor behind the OYL later storyline, him and Berganza being the ones who wanted her to be a villain and didn't care how, he never acknowledged her during his Outsiders run and he excluded her from family moments in both Nightwing and Batman and Robin, the latter having the god awful "Whole Family" movie night moment.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1476  Edited By entropy_aegis

@kimonkey: We'll see but Tynion has a high work load and lets be honest he'll always go where Snyder goes. If the move does happen then his reputation as the guy holding on to Snyder's jock will be confirmed. His success outside of Snyder's zone of influence is non existent. On top of that DC is going through changes in the coming months.

None of this shows any dislike, LOL this is weak and frankly sounds like you're reaching hard.

For instance why should he acknowledge Cass in his Nightwing run? Which Nightwing writer would acknowledge her under similar circumstances? Did Cass writers involve Dick in every single moment Cass shared with Bruce and Babs? If anything a lot of the time Dick is badly portrayed when he and Cass share a page. But I'm not accusing Cass writers of hating Dick. On top of that Tomasi's run only lasted a year because it was cut short. I remember Wally, Superman and Babs in that run, he didn't discard Dick's defining relationships did he?

His Batman and Robin only lasted 3 issues. After Morrison's departure that book never had a stable creative team. He just went with the characters Morrison himself had established. He was also busy with multiple other projects at that time( he and Johns were spear heading Brightest Day and the Green Lantern franchise), it was a temporary fill in arc. Under these circumstances I cant see a writer going through an entire list of characters and telling the artist to "put him, her too and that one as well". Morrison established the cast, even Tim thanks to Return of Bruce Wayne, Tomasi rolled with it for consistency's sake.

The Outsider's franchise was a creative train crash thanks to Dixon's fight with DC and subsequent departure. We both know when events like these happen the editorial just enforces on the new creative team to pretend as if what came previously didn't matter. Besides the Outsider's from the Dixon run were already disbanded under Tieri. I certainly wouldn't have acknowledged the previous run either, seems like the most rational course of action. Why would DC want fans to be reminded of the ugly affair that came before? New creative team, new direction, new characters. That's how it always works, emphasis on new.

Didio wanted her to be a villain, he just told the creatives to implement the changes. He doesn't own Cass, why should he stick his neck out and have a tussle with his boss for her? That's suicidal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Tom King is gonna piss off people some more

No Caption Provided

Even Batgod lovers like myself are tired of this non sense and King is so horrible at fights and power level management that it wont even look entertaining or clever.

What are the odds of Catwoman single handily defeating the league?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1478 morpheus_  Moderator

@aahz: Give Azrael Rucka and/or JH Williams III on art duty and he'd have no issues selling -- much like any other character, to be fair. That's pretty much Kate's popularity right there. Her most recent volume didn't even outsell Michael Lane. Azrael or Cass supporting an on-going relies entirely on DC's willingness to make it work.

I never understood why Tim was sidelined to the Titans with the N52, he should have had his own book ages ago, much like he did pre-FP.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Give Azrael Rucka and/or JH Williams III on art duty and he'd have no issues selling -- much like any other character, to be fair. That's pretty much Kate's popularity right there. Her most recent volume didn't even outsell Michael Lane.

The most recent volume were we have sales data is Batwoman #10, it sold 17,746 copies. Azrael #10 (from Michael Lanes Series) sold only 9,223 copies, which is a little more than half. Actually only the first 2 issues of his series sold way more than Batwoman #10, the third issue sold only 11 copies more and the 4th issue already 4,000 less.

Kate isn't that succsessfull/popular but she seems to have at least a few dedicated fans, in case of JPV I don't have the impression that there are many people how have him among their favourite characters.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1480  Edited By Enzo991

@all-father said:

What are the odds of Catwoman single handily defeating the league?

As much as I think that King is completely and clinically insane, and that his massive cat boner is responsible for 99.99% of what he writes, I don't believe even he would be able to go that far. Simply because everyone in DC would tell him to back the fuck off, and no amounts of tantrums he would throw could change that. The question I am thinking of is how this arc about Ivy controlling the League to fight Batman will ultimately boil down to "Hoh boy, Bruce would have died a million times over if he wasn't engaged/to be married to Catwoman". That has been the single driving idea behind every single issue from King since he revealed his plans to have the two get married, and I suspect that will continue until issue 50 and possibly even after that.

What I expect, is for Bruce to hold off the League in a suitably retarded way, as trademarked by King, while Catwoman will go clown Ivy in order to resolve the real problem. Ensuring that Catwoman is the only character that accomplishes anything in the story is exactly the thing I would expect from King. I also expect that King will write an overblown fight scene between Bruce and the League, maybe even have Bruce bring out some kind of super suit, only to have the fight be stopped by Catwoman's intervention, possibly while making fun of how silly and stupid Bruce is for trying to fight the League in a big action sequence, showcasing her worldly cat wisdom. The League will then all get slack jawed at how awesome Catwoman is, and how lucky Bruce is for having her. The whole thing will be played as a satire of the Batman vs. the League idea, while also taking a jab at Superhero fighting in general. When King is asked why he wrote the fight like that, he would reply by talking about how much he loves his wife, and how she is far smarter than he is, so he used that as an inspiration for how to write Batman and Catwoman.

Everyone will applaud this as some fourth dimensional deconstruction and humanization of Batman, never once seen before, and further proof of King's genius. This will make it the third or fourth time King takes a jab at something Snyder did, and no one will call him out on it. In short, don't read it. I might have gotten carried away a little bit with my scenario, but now that I have typed it all out, I honestly can't see this story going down in any other way.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Kates has always sold terribly. But I dont' think it is fair to put Babs Batgirl in that category. She was actually the highest selling female led comic for a very long time after rebirth, outperforming wonder woman. Honestly, I think it's the ridiculous new hipster stupid direction they took with her that tanked her book completely. They decided to keep all the light (which is fine), amp it up a bunch (why), and remove all the darkness from her character and world. It's not Barbara anymore. It's the millennial version of her.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that is so eerily possible. Patricularly the part about King writing a stupid cringe worthy fight while his fans applaud him for this stupidity by claiming that it is a supposedly brilliant deconstruction of superhero infighting.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991: the jab for this cover in regards to Snyder is obviously the endgame fight. But what about the others you mentioned? I can't think of any.

The issue with this fight is that it's going to be dumb either way. The trick to these fights is 1) never resort to bruce relying on a super suit to beat the crap out of them a la iron man, 2) never as a full group, one on one fights. Snyder had a bunch of crazy gadgets and the suit was just there to tank damage really. and they fought him one on one. Now, people could argue the ridiculousness of batman winning that, but comics are a make believe medium and at the very least, Snyder put thought and effort into how it will play out and what to do. I don't think king will do that. I think king will have batman get a super glove or something and just punch them really really really hard

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jameswayne: Kate's current numbers are embarrassing, she hasn't even reached her 12th issue yet. On top of that she was promoted heavily in Tec and still is, they put Epting on her book, they got Tynion to help Bennet further capitalizing on Detective's good will(at least the initial one) and the general good will of Rebirth yet sales are down the toilet.

That would be ok if the book was a critical hit like Midnighter was but no, its a boring slog with villains so boring that they can kill the hero by boring them to death and this applies to supporting characters as well. Quite telling that the best characters so far have been Scarecrow and Professor Pyg, both of whom are Batman villains. Even the best supporting characters is Julia another Batman character, its not saying much admittedly but remove the Batman elements and this book is is 50 times worse.

Tynion and Bennet have done a LOT of damage to Kate, her complete dependence on Batman in terms of supporting characters, narrative, villains and book have effectively made her Batperson #500. Moving forward she's at the mercy of Batman writers willing to use her and I have no doubt that none of them will ever bother with the cousin angle.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1485 morpheus_  Moderator

@jameswayne: My issue with Babs is the direction of her series, not Babs herself. It also seems absurd that they highjacked the BoP in order for them to be Barbara's team as opposed to her simply being an important member, at best of equal standing to Dinah.

@aahz: Cool, I stand corrected. I just remembered Lane's series post-BFTC reaching nearly #20 while Kate was cancelled with #11.

I don't believe we will know how dedicated people that like JPV are if DC does not give them a fair chance at it; likewise so with Cass and to a lesser extent, Tim. A creative team with a clear vision in mind for JPV can handily pull it off as long as he is advertised as part of Batman's brand of books.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1486  Edited By entropy_aegis

@morpheus_ said:

@jameswayne: My issue with Babs is the direction of her series, not Babs herself. It also seems absurd that they highjacked the BoP in order for them to be Barbara's team as opposed to her simply being an important member, at best of equal standing to Dinah.

@aahz: Cool, I stand corrected. I just remembered Lane's series post-BFTC reaching nearly #20 while Kate was cancelled with #11.

I don't believe we will know how dedicated people that like JPV are if DC does not give them a fair chance at it; likewise so with Cass and to a lesser extent, Tim. A creative team with a clear vision in mind for JPV can handily pull it off as long as he is advertised as part of Batman's brand of books.

Kate's first series lasted 40 regular issues, 2 zero issues and an annual. There was also a Future's end one shot IIRC. The current one will gas out at 15 or 16.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jameswayne: Off of the top of my head I can recall two. The first was during the aftermath of the proposal, when Alfred gathered the Robins to tell them about it, where Jason joked about whether there was yet another terrible and world ending secret that Bruce has been hiding, something that Snyder is often criticized for doing. The other one was very recent, in issue 39, where Bruce, dressed in a medieval looking Bat armor, very reminiscent of what he wore at the beginning of Metal and on many of its covers, was called ridicules looking by both Wonder Woman and Catwoman, and this came while Metal is still being published no less. I feel like I am forgetting one more instance, but I can't seem to recall what it was at this point. You could argue that those tropes that King is cheekily making fun of are not Snyder exclusive, or that it is just well natured humor, but I don't see it that way.

Making fun of ideas that were used in some of Snyder's most well known stories on Batman, and in such a derisive way makes the jab look to deliberate and ill natured. King smugness and unwarranted confidence makes it all the more convincing that he thinks he is making some genius meta observations, in order to justify the inclusion of these pity jabs. I don't have a problem with Snyder's Endgame fight, and I have no doubt that King's version of it, if my prediction comes to pass, will be far dumber than anything Snyder could have dreamt up. The point though is that any stupidity from King will be played off as purposeful satire, and any dumb writing will be considered intentional. So you will have King making fun of Snyder, a better writer and the person King awes for his gig on Batman, and he will be praised for it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991: You have any idea what David Finch is doing? he's been mum since 24 came out in June and his last full issue was 20 back in April. At this rate he could have drawn a lot of issues.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1489  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I thought her current series was shelved already. Not comparing Lane to her N52 v1, just the most recent volume.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1490  Edited By JamesWayne

@entropy_aegis: oh shit, yeah, I didn't even realize he hasn't been around on the title for a while. Maybe he's gearing up for one of the new justice league titles coming soon? Or maybe a new book alltogether in the bat-world? Unrelated, but I thought I'd mention it anyways, his wife Meredith Finch, who did the most cringeworthy run on Wonder Woman, actually has a pretty good independent book out now called Rose. Not top of the line imo, but fun to read. I was surprised too see that, and thought it was cool.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: No idea. He seems to have dropped off the DC landscape entirely after #24, even though I have assumed that he and Janin were the main artists for King's Batman. They are even bringing Tony Daniel to take over the book in April, so I do think that we have seen the last of Finch on Batman for the foreseeable future. Finch is known for taking on a lot of work simultaneously, so I think something must have happened for Finch to leave the book, as I recall the original intent was for him to be a regular collaborate with King. Honestly I think this is for the best. King's Batman made me hate a lot of artists who I used to like, because I could no longer separate their work from his awful writing. Janin is by far the biggest example of that. While Finch's art has a sameness to it, I still enjoy it, and would rather have him stay away from King's work to preserve what enjoyment I get from his art.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_ said:

Kate's first series lasted 40 regular issues, 2 zero issues and an annual. There was also a Future's end one shot IIRC. The current one will gas out at 15 or 16.

Lane's series only made it to #18 (with really low sales the last issue had just 7,617 copies shipped).

If you follow the way the DC Wikia is counting Kates first pre flashpoint "series" consisted of only a single #0 issue.

She only really got an ongoing post flashpoint which lasted like entropy_aegis said for 40 issues + specials. And had at least for roughly the first two years (or maybe even a little longer) decent sales.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jameswayne: LOL, Merideth Finch was a nightmare to Wonder Woman fans.

@entropy_aegis: I thought her current series was shelved already. Not comparing Lane to her N52 v1, just the most recent volume.

Nah.

@enzo991 said:

@entropy_aegis: No idea. He seems to have dropped off the DC landscape entirely after #24, even though I have assumed that he and Janin were the main artists for King's Batman. They are even bringing Tony Daniel to take over the book in April, so I do think that we have seen the last of Finch on Batman for the foreseeable future. Finch is known for taking on a lot of work simultaneously, so I think something must have happened for Finch to leave the book, as I recall the original intent was for him to be a regular collaborate with King. Honestly I think this is for the best. King's Batman made me hate a lot of artists who I used to like, because I could no longer separate their work from his awful writing. Janin is by far the biggest example of that. While Finch's art has a sameness to it, I still enjoy it, and would rather have him stay away from King's work to preserve what enjoyment I get from his art.

He's still doing cover work but yeah I must agree on Janin. I loved his work but now I feel some sort of revulsion looking at it, it applies a bit to Clay Mann as well. Mitch Gerads is the only I like no matter how much King effs up, he really enhances the script, great story teller.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1494 morpheus_  Moderator

@aahz: Pre-Flashpoint, her series is Rucka's Detective Comics 10 issue run, which is arguably the reason she got an on-going in the N52.

I wasn't comparing her N52 series to Lane's -- just the current, Rebirth run. Which is suggestive as far as DC's intent goes to push her, in tandem with her presence in Tynion's Tec.

I also presume you meant to reply to me, not entropy.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1495 morpheus_  Moderator

@jameswayne: LOL, Merideth Finch was a nightmare to Wonder Woman fans.

Isn't everyone a nightmare to WW fans? They disliked Azz, hated Finch, complained about Rucka and do the exact same thing about Robinson right now.

Some of those complaints are justified, others far-fetched, if not unfounded.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I guess but Rucka's recent work was liked by most.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1497 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Mostly referring to what I see in their forum here. I obviously don't believe it reflects every WW fan (much like the King/Tynion complaints are not unanimous), but their reaction to Rucka's run seemed somewhat indifferent, at best.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Huh, I thought it was positive. Azz was divisive, Finch was loathed while Robinson is disliked.

Anyone here read Doom Patrol/Milk Wars? The descrition of the Mother Panic/Batman sounds incredible but I wasn't impressed by what I read of Mother Panic. So are MW and Doom Patrol necessary for the upcoming special? I have basic knowledge of Mother Panic and Batman is well Batman so I think I should be safe but you never know.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an example of Tom King writing something good.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/earlier-posts/page/2/

What drugs does he use when scripting Batman? Or maybe his daughter scripts Batman. King is unfit to write ongoing Batman. I think he should just resign and crank out the occassional mini or graphic novel for Batman related stories.

I may sound like a King hater but I've loved every single thing I've read from him outside of Batman. I'm actually a huge fan of the guy so it hurts even more when my eyes bleed after reading his Batman.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Pre-Flashpoint, her series is Rucka's Detective Comics 10 issue run, which is arguably the reason she got an on-going in the N52.

Ah Ok, but even that sold in the end still in the 40K range. Less that it sold before with Bruce, but still quite good (and also not worse than the next run with Dick).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.