Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23649 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@eto: I hope so, Snyder's hurting the Batman mythos then he's helping it. And I'm bored of him and hate his stupid OC's.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#552  Edited By entropy_aegis

Snyder planned All Star to run 25 issues. There's still stories with Murphy,Bermejo and Pope that he hasn't written.

I expect those 11 or 12 issues to be released as special minis like Doomsday Clock and White Knight. Which means that even after Metal & Signal which end in Feb 2018 we shouldn't expect Snyder to be finished by mid 2019 at the least. He might take a break between Feb 2018 and summer/fall 2018 due to his Challengers series and Murphy's own White Knight.

And even after all that I wouldn't put it past DC to give him a Joker ongoing what with all the Joker movie news.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@belrev516: He had his moment but now it's time to go.

Give him another complete different character or something.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be surprised if I see, 'Meet Duke Thomas: The New Batman' as a news headline soon. And if that happens, I'm bouncing.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@eto said:

Out of these 3, what are you guys looking forward to most:

- Batman : Dark prince

- Batman : creature of night

- Batman : white knight

I'm looking forward to the second one the most. Looks promising.

Haven't pre- ordered the last one. I'm iffy about it.

What is each about?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#557  Edited By ursaber
    Loading Video...

@itsaworld@zariusii@eto

Personally, I don't like that the eyes show in Batman's mask. I never liked that in any rendition.

As lively as DC's animation department is, this art style is really getting generic. In regards to the character designs.

Said animation and art style was one of the bad things of the Killing Joke movie.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: im ok with the eyes.

What I do not get.

Why are both DC and Marvel bad regarding animated movies.

Well, in Marvel's case, they only have tv series animated. That's pretty sad. Why not invest in animated movies right??

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: Dark prince is apparently a completely new, different Gotham. It really highlights Gotham the city. That's what I've heard, at least.

creature of the night is set in 1968 and asks the question? How would Batman be in the real world? So basically, there IS a Batman in the story, but that world is how it woul be IRL.

White Knight is basically, if I remember correctly: Batman is the villain, Joker is the hero.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@eto said:

@ursaber: im ok with the eyes.

What I do not get.

Why are both DC and Marvel bad regarding animated movies.

Well, in Marvel's case, they only have tv series animated. That's pretty sad. Why not invest in animated movies right??

I'm not okay with the eyes. Its imperative for me to have the eyes all white. Looks cooler and more menacing.

I enjoyed Iron Man Rise of Technovore and Punisher Black Widow. Marvel's good tv series ended with Avengers EMH. I loved that epic series. Best Avengers indeed. And Jennifer Hale as Carol Danvers was a high mark.

I liked Justice League War though I dreaded Wonder Woman and the lack of Aquaman. Rise of Atlantis was horrid. Son of Batman was okay. Batman v Robin was horrid. I liked Bad Blood. I liked Teen Titans vs Justice League flawed as it was. I liked Judas Contract flawed as it was. Killing Joke was an affront (though I did like the Barbra scene and Mark Hamill's voice acting "To prove a point. Here's to crime" best line ever).

Overall I don't like DC's art styles anymore. They range from the classic Batman, Superman, Justice League animated series style or steroid infused messes of the new movies.

Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 were epic.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By entropy_aegis

Looking forward to Prince and Creature, dreading White Knight. I just cant shake the feeling that an overambitious,ignorant fanboy was given too much.

Murphy's lack of knowledge of the Batman characters is appalling. He's pretty much going with BTAS and Burton films and that would be fine if this was set in either of those universes. Dude has been enthustiastically teasing Roxy Rocket...WTF, who cares. Throw in his ridiculous and romantisized interpretation of Joker and its pretty much something I hope to avoid.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just went through Murphy's Twitter and good lord the ignorance is astounding.

Its a Joker story not Batman story period.

He doesn't like the Joker but wants to write him anyway.

He's "reinventing" Joker to make him more of a threat, ok, I guess all those hordes of creators were kidding around. If anything the threat aspect has been overblown when it comes to Joker. Now writers come up with stories that feasibly could have been used for other villains " cough Ra's cough".

Still the fact he wants to reivent a character he largely has no interest in and write a story about them is where this book loses me.

He could have chosen a villain he actually was interested in. Using the Joker just tells me that he wants quick headlines and a more secure place for this story. I'd be far more onboard with this story if it was about Two-Face or Penguin.

Now we've got handsome Joker running around as a politician, gimme a break. Muphy should spend more time researching these characters and thinking about the story than worrying about the anatomy of cars.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: "Looking forward to Prince and Creature, dreading White Knight. I just cant shake the feeling that an overambitious,ignorant fanboy was given too much.

Murphy's lack of knowledge of the Batman characters is appalling. He's pretty much going with BTAS and Burton films and that would be fine if this was set in either of those universes. Dude has been enthustiastically teasing Roxy Rocket...WTF, who cares. Throw in his ridiculous and romantisized interpretation of Joker and its pretty much something I hope to avoid."

Agreed.

That's why I have pre-ordered DPrince and CotNight but not White Knight.

No thanks...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: "He doesn't like the Joker but wants to write him anyway."

Lol.

This is so contradicting indeed.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murphy took an L saying that he doesn't like writing Joker...but is writing Joker.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@eto said:

@entropy_aegis: "He doesn't like the Joker but wants to write him anyway."

Lol.

This is so contradicting indeed.

Actually, this is very simple to understand once you take the mindset that Murphy is yet another one in a long line of political-soapbox-loving writers who think they have Very Important & Mind-Blowing Points To Make Regarding The State Of The World and grabs a very influential and popular character to push this, while being oblivious to the fact that said "important points" have been done to death by overambitious hacks for decades and that they are nowhere near as smart as they think.

I could be wrong, of course, but Murphy strikes me as one of those. Expect a hilarious trainwreck.

ItsaWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By ItsaWorld

@ursaber said:

@itsaworld@zariusii@eto

Personally, I don't like that the eyes show in Batman's mask. I never liked that in any rendition.

As lively as DC's animation department is, this art style is really getting generic. In regards to the character designs.

Said animation and art style was one of the bad things of the Killing Joke movie.

I know this was posted 2 days ago, but I could only reply now.

The eye style of batman in this story makes sense. From what we see in THE MAKING of the film, I'm pretty sure the non-white eyes came from the graphic novel.

As for the art style being generic, I don't see it that way. They tend to have a certain selected styles they use depending on the story or premise they are going for. Mostly if the stories are connected in some way, the art will remain the same to hint at this.

Series like Justice League War, Judas Contract, Flashpoint and Assault on Arkham tend to keep very close to a more serious style. They all remain to have the same art style since they are connected to the same universe.

Films like Gods Among Us or Batman Harley Quinn tend to be revolving around the Timm Verse and thus will posses this style.

Then we get to series like this wich kinda has a style that is reminicent of Bruce Tim yet gives some subtle parts of the more serious style. I tend to see it as the style used in the Killing Joke, another elseworld story. Thus this is perhaps the style they plan on using for Elseworld films.

This is at least what I see when looking into this. This is a film I am highly interested in seeing myself and will give better critique when it's released and rentable.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: Pretty much, he keeps downplaying the political nature of the story but all evidence says otherwise.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@orangebat: Pretty much, he keeps downplaying the political nature of the story but all evidence says otherwise.

Is this Murphy denying Batman White Knight won't be SJW Batman despite the press announcement for his series featuring a statement where he says his Gotham reflects more realistic problems from the wage gap to BLM? Yeah I'm still not convinced Murphy isn't going to be politically controversial somewhere in this series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone read #30? It show's a interesting point of view.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#571 morpheus_  Moderator

For ##@!'s sake King, enough with Kite Man already.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: lol. I think it was handled well even though I still couldn't care less about Kite Man.

I must say War of Jokes and Riddles it pretty underwhelming.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@all-father: King can't write Batman but he's competent with Kite Man. Rofl

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Read part of the article but Bleeding Cool gives my computer so many issues with security pop ups that I closed out before my browser closed it out itself.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@laughingbatman @belrev516: @orangebat: @entropy_aegis:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/08/mark-doyle-batman-david-finch-proposal/

Man the Bat office resembles the Pre Rebirth Superman office now(interestingly Metal is edited by the Superman office). Though I have to side with King here, Doyle's position just strikes me as bizarre and petty. Either way if pushing out Doyle= less Snyder influence and by extension less of the likes of Tynion then I'm on board.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Taken from newsarama November solicitations:

"

DETECTIVE COMICS #969

Written by JAMES TYNION IV

Art by ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ

Cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

“FALL OF THE BATMEN” part one! Everyone in Batman’s orbit is broken somehow—some more than others. For Clayface, keeping the pieces of his psyche together has been a years-long struggle…and it’s a war he may be about to lose! And as the team tries to pull itself back together, their enemies have learned something from Batman’s newfound spirit of cooperation…and have formed a cabal of their own!

On sale NOVEMBER 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

"

So what does this mean? "the fall of the batmen" ? is some supervillains-team going to work together to try to take the tec team down, like the victim syndicate did? and more importantly will they be able to actually do it?...Clayface is probably the strongest member of the team and if he turns on the team it would be a major blow that a group of supervillains could try to exploit, but idk.

i gotta get more info on this arc asap.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another group/society. Yay.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Perhaps King can write his story and actually deliver.

The less Snyderism, the better.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belrev516: So.... King will be the write of the main Batman book until ish 100.

Great....

That's double what Snyder got damn. Although, that is in the same period ~5 years. I hope that they will keep doing bi-monthly because otherwise it's gonna take soooooo long.

I wonder how long Tynion will stay as writer of @Tec

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update:

"The fall of the batmen" may have to do with the "Doomsday Clock" event...we know that Tim Drake is coming back around that time, and i'm guessing that he will somehow start the events of the "Doomsday Clock" a event that will primarily be about Superman i'm sure, not sure if Detective Comics will crossover with Action Comics eventually, but it would be cool if it did.

Besides, i wanna see Cass interact with Superboy on the current continuity, if not for anything else, theres potencial for some interesting moments there :p

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@belrev516 said:

Another group/society. Yay.

Lol, who knows? but as always some City-ending threat will come for the Team, and as always they will be beaten back :P although this time something bad may happen to the Team due to the title of the arc, and the fact that Clayface is a time-bomb and will apparently explode soon...

@eto said:

@belrev516: So.... King will be the write of the main Batman book until ish 100.

Great....

That's double what Snyder got damn. Although, that is in the same period ~5 years. I hope that they will keep doing bi-monthly because otherwise it's gonna take soooooo long.

I wonder how long Tynion will stay as writer of @Tec

I belive it was said that he wanted to stay until issue 1000 if he could...and since sales are going strong, i'd say that he has a good chance of achiving his goal, and luckly for us i might add, i'm really enjoying Tec' so far, its not perfect, but its the best book there is right now, at least for me, and about 50.000 other people :p

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: Aah got ya.

Also, there are more fans, because, there are tpb's collectors as well :p

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@bat_girl_cc: Aah got ya.

Also, there are more fans, because, there are tpb's collectors as well :p

Yes, ahah, true :D i was just statting the facts :p

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586  Edited By entropy_aegis

Solicits have been leaked for December. Some notable highlights

New Batman/TMNT crossover with Bane as main villain.

Tim Seeley wraps up his run on Nightwing.

Superman and Batman team up on King's Batman.

Superman,Super Sons and Teen Titans will have a crossover with future Batman(Damian likely).

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587  Edited By infantfinite128

@entropy_aegis: I really dug the first TMNT crossover, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Plus, Bane is my favorite villain, so I try to check out anything with him.

I still haven't read a single issue of Detective Comics, but Tynion did a good job with the first story.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman/TMNT is one of Tynion's rare good stories and he did a good job with Bane in Talon.

As long as he keeps his Tec plans and cast away his work tends to be readable.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: yeah his tmnt batman stuff was really fun. He writes a good batman when he's not downgrading him for "epic moments and stories concerning batman's protoges". Also looking forward to King's superman team up. His long stories have issues, but he really really excels at one shots, short stories, I've loved all of those so far.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone read metal here? I find it so very fun. Damian and baby you know stole the show for me. Also I love how Bruce got completely played by.....i won't say who.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: yeah it looks like dc is really pushing for constant tone. And while I'm not reading Tec anymore cause of Bruce's depiction and ocerall series storyline, and may actually drop the the Batman main book (gonna wait until the superman team up cause king does kill it with short stories, long ones, I find all main bat writers can't write long stories and would make everything better if they just condensed their narratives). But that consistency in tone is fantastic, even if I don't like the writer, others do and it is great they have a constant place to go for stories they like. So much better than marvels rotating talent ongoings that are really mini series, and total lack of consistency. Although recently announced Jean grey is returning and the storyline for the return of the fantastic four is going to begin. Now just bring back Logan and marvel will have my business again.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@entropy_aegis: Thanks for telling me about the second Batman/TMNT crossover. I would be more excited about it but Tynion has been a big let down as a Batman writer. Plus, at the time of the first crossover, I wasn't reading many comics whereas now I am. Have to wonder whether I can afford it right now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis: Thanks for telling me about the second Batman/TMNT crossover. I would be more excited about it but Tynion has been a big let down as a Batman writer. Plus, at the time of the first crossover, I wasn't reading many comics whereas now I am. Have to wonder whether I can afford it right now.

Tynion can be a solid writer IF he plays to his strengths as a writer. For instance among villains he writes Joker and Bane pretty well but his Ra's al Ghul has almost always been shit, but he has barely used the former and has completely overused the latter. Its his fanboyism that takes him down.

Same principle applies here, the editorial wont allow him to use characters like Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan etc whom he professes to love. It will be a simple Batman story with maybe Robin thrown in there like the previous series so Tynion wont have any choice in the matter. The safeguards in a project like this will ensure he'll do atleast a passable job.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594  Edited By entropy_aegis

Just keeping a list of evil Batmen from DC, feel free to add anything.

Evil Batman who leads the Suicide Squad in service of Ra's in the Injustice digital series, likely Jason Todd

7 evil Batmen plus Barbatos are the villains of Metal and its affiliated crossovers Gotham Resistance and Bats out of Hell and they get their own one shots. Plus the Batman who Laughs has his own evil Robins.

An evil Batman is the villain of the Gotham Garage digital first series, he works for Luthor .

Batwoman #6 teased a story for Detective Comics about a future in which Batman had become a fascistic dictator with his own army and Brother Eye. This Batman is Tim.

Damian Wayne became Ra's al Ghul in Batman Beyond

Dick Grayson has created a sort of fascistic police world in the Nightwing: New World Order series where meta humans are discriminated.

A future Batman will the antagonist of an upcoming crossover between Superman, Super Sons and Teen Titans, pretty much Damian Wayne.

Batman:White Knight will depict a Gotham where Joker successfully turns public opinion against Batman, effectively making him a villain.

Am I missing something?

I also suspect that Sovereign from Hitch's JL may well be the daughter of Batman and Wonder Woman but that's just speculation on my part for now, I could be completely wrong so I'm not adding it in to the list proper.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I'm not reading all of them but you're right I guess.

Priest will take over JL

------> I'll pick up the book again lol.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Priest taking over JL is fantastic news, it means DC is willing to not only keep him around but also give him high profile gigs. Hopefully this means a Batman run down the road.

Sad about Seeley leaving Nightwing, with him out the Bat office falls further in to the grip of Snyder and gang. Why cant Tynion leave? sobs. Still Seeley made his mark on Dick Grayson and I honestly think he's the best Nightwing writer. I seriously hope Tynion and King are next in line for a removal, as I recall Seeley had 48 issues planned but is leaving at 35 so I can happily anticipate King not messing around for a full 100 issues like he wants. I hope DC pressurizes him to leave around 50.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Agreed, Nightwing by Seeley is really great.

So is Green Lanterns.

I find it odd that Humphries and Seeley are switching books lol.

Hopefully for the greaterr good.

pcris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Could you write what number issue Priest is going to begin to write the Justice League, please? Happy to read it.

I like Seeley's Nightwing run, frankly I haven't care for the Green Lanterns, but I'm willing to give Humphries another chance.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Priest on JL, that's great news. I want to see more of his Batman and I am also hyped that he has said that Deathstroke will appear on his JL run.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the pleasure of reading Superman Secret Identity recently and if Batman Creature of the Night is even half as good then we're in for a fantastic Batman story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.