Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23622 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman 3 Gets a Title: The Dark Knight Rises

• 119 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    We're all eager for new information on the next Batman movie. This morning Christopher Nolan has revealed what the title for the next movie will be, "The Dark Knight Rises."  

Upon first hearing the title, I can't say I'm overly impressed. It's interesting that once again, Nolan is going for a title without Batman's name in it. Perhaps this decision is to build upon the success of the last film, The Dark Knight. Maybe it's because some people feel comic books are childish and Batman's name goes along with that. I suppose by know, most people should be aware that "The Dark Knight" is just another name for Batman. 

Nolan also revealed that he has won the argument against Warner Bros and the film will not be in 3D. He also mentioned that the Riddler will not be the villain in the movie. Maybe there is some truth to that rumor about young actresses auditioning for a role. 

What do you think about the title? If we're not going to have the Riddler, what villain should be in it? 
    -chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By -chapel-

The title seems pretty good.  I was kinda hoping Riddler would be in this one. I would like to see Black Mask as a villian.
    Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Batman's on the run from the government so... Deathstroke. Deathstroke and Bane should be a tag team of mercenaries competing/working together for the prize of Batman's head.

Or some kind of more realistic Nolan-verse Man-Bat. Batman's already considered a public enemy, why not use this opportunity to have a villain tarnish it more?

I'd also say introduce Tommy Elliot as a childhood friend, have him harassed by Black Mask, but hate Batman; and Bruce trying to remain objective but also want to tell Tommy his secrets, yadda yadda yadda, then use Hush for Batman 4.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX

YES!!!!!!!!! NO 3D WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!! 3D is a complete waste of money and I'm glad nolan won't waste his time entertaining that ridiculous trend which almost always takes away from a movie rather than enhance it.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Gylan Thomas

I want the rainbow raider asthe villain

RiotBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RiotBananas

Kinda bad name if you ask me.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By johnny_spam

The name makes so much sense the last movie was Batman's fall so many bad things happened to him and he took so much the name The Dark Knight Rises makes sense because he needs to overcome it.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By queenfrost_

I don't care what people say! It's time for Batman to meet a woman who can actually kick butt

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riotbananas said:
    " Kinda shitty name if you ask me. "
    I don't think it's a terrible name, per se, but it does seem a little lazy. And after 2 years of referring to it as 'Batman 3' waiting for a title, this one seems a little anticlimactic. If that had been revealed as the title not long after The Dark Knight came out, I'd probably like it a lot more.
    countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By countvontrey

Thought I don't overly like that title, I do like the implications of it. like johnny spam said, so much negative happened in TDK. It would be great to see Bats come out on top with TDKR.

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10  Edited By GraveSp

Black mask would be good, Bane would be good.  Hell have him fight the entire Secret 6 that would be awesome.  Maybe Killer Croc could work as he was portrayed in Joker?

Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11  Edited By spider-man 2996

The is alright
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ckal

Good. Batman needs a villain who can provide him with a physical challenge. And that someone shouldn't be Catwoman either.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roadbuster

"Batman: Enter The Joker" was the working title for "Batman Begins 2" or "The Dark Knight"... so there's still time for a change.  That said, it'd be interesting to break down what that title is supposed to mean. 

Begins, obviously, was about his origin and the start of the symbol. 
    The Dark Knight, felt like a bit of a misnomer, but I suppose it could be argued it's in Gordon's final monologue... Gotham getting what it deserves (a dark tainted knight) rather than what it needs (a shining savior). 
    Rises, then, means....? 

Rises in prominence or legitimacy?  Unlikely given the police stance on hunting him and the shattering of the signal.  Rises in darkness?  Knightyness?  What do you think he's rising from and to?

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Jotham
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @riotbananas said:
    I don't think it's a terrible name, per se, but it does seem a little lazy. And after 2 years of referring to it as 'Batman 3' waiting for a title, this one seems a little anticlimactic. If that had been revealed as the title not long after The Dark Knight came out, I'd probably like it a lot more. "
    They should have had a message at the end of the credits, "Batman will return in The Dark Knight Rises."
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jotham
    " Batman's on the run from the government so... Deathstroke. Deathstroke and Bane should be a tag team of mercenaries competing/working together for the prize of Batman's head.  Or some kind of more realistic Nolan-verse Man-Bat. Batman's already considered a public enemy, why not use this opportunity to have a villain tarnish it more?  I'd also say introduce Tommy Elliot as a childhood friend, have him harassed by Black Mask, but hate Batman; and Bruce trying to remain objective but also want to tell Tommy his secrets, yadda yadda yadda, then use Hush for Batman 4. "
    Not bad ideas. Although I don't think most people like Man-Bat. I do.
    Avatar image for crimsoncomedian
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrimsonComedian

I don't like its name. And I agree with those saying that Bane should be in it. Leave the audience with a cliffhanger. Bane breaks Batman's back and it cuts out. Leaving no hints towards a 4th nor leaving any hints that it's the end.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jotham said:
    " @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " Batman's on the run from the government so... Deathstroke. Deathstroke and Bane should be a tag team of mercenaries competing/working together for the prize of Batman's head.  Or some kind of more realistic Nolan-verse Man-Bat. Batman's already considered a public enemy, why not use this opportunity to have a villain tarnish it more?  I'd also say introduce Tommy Elliot as a childhood friend, have him harassed by Black Mask, but hate Batman; and Bruce trying to remain objective but also want to tell Tommy his secrets, yadda yadda yadda, then use Hush for Batman 4. "
    Not bad ideas. Although I don't think most people like Man-Bat. I do. "
    I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I wrote down somewhere a full plan for Batman's 3 and 4 using Deathstroke and Bane as the villains for 3 AND introducing Tommy Elliot. And I think Deathstroke and Bane's plan involved Scarecrow's Fear Gas and some creative costuming to simulate Man-Bat (tricking the audience at first) but I'm pretty sure I abandoned that idea since it would create too many disappointments. But then Black Mask would be set up as the villain for 4, taking over Tommy Elliot's family company and whatnot, only to have him taken out and Hush revealed as the villain or something like that, and keeping most of his backstory intact. Since most people don't know about Hush, introducing Tommy in the 3rd movie and keeping him not a villain would get most of the casual audience to trust him (since introducing him in the same movie Hush is in would be a bit obvious) and thus, the 4th movie would have a lot of moviegoers genuinely in the dark about Hush's identity.
    Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aquamariner
    HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!  I was really hoping Nolan and the gang had the guts to transform The Riddler into a scary ass, realistic bad guy. And since Jim Carrey's Riddler sucked monkey B@lls, he was in serious need of a reboot himself. 

I like the title, though. I hope that in this film we see a much stronger and decided Batman, and not the wimp he was in TDK.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Martian

Overall: 
    Terrible Title. 
    Dissapointed that Riddler isn't going to appear. =( 
    SO GLAD that the movie isn't gonna be in 3-D! =D 
    But STILL hoping that Catwoman, Black Mask, and MAYBE Talia will be the main villains... 

...and now, My Work here is Done! ;)

CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @The Mighty Monarch: Really not a bad idea.
    CrimsonComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrimsonComedian
    @Mainline: Maybe it means he's going to earn the right to get that signal back?
    Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I'm just glad the movie isn't going to be in 3D. The title can be Batman 3 for all I care.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23  Edited By The_Martian

That's an awful name.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Duo_forbidden said:
    " I'm just glad the movie isn't going to be in 3D. "
    Once Nolan announced he didn't want it in 3D (Which I love him forever for) I had no doubt they'd let him do that. After The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception (and from what I've heard, Memento), I'm pretty sure any studio would have no objections to giving into any demand he wanted for a movie.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By roadbuster
    @CrimsonComedian said:
    " @Mainline: Maybe it means he's going to earn the right to get that signal back? "
    Nice.  That would be a rise of prominence and "knightyness" (thought the Dark part is sort of just there).  Sure, everyone loves a good redemption story.
    PumpkinBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PumpkinBomb

I think this title makes the trilogy seem really lopsided. Everyone is just going to call this Dark Knight 2 in casual conversation.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PumpkinBomb said:
    " I think this title makes the trilogy seem really lopsided. Everyone is just going to call this Dark Knight 2 in casual conversation. "
    Who says it's a trilogy?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Magian

I like it.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29  Edited By BradBrains

The current ventriloquist would be super wicked.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Gylan Thomas said:

" I want the rainbow raider asthe villain "

He's not even a Batman villain, it should obviously be the Monarch of Menace 
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ckal
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    " I think this title makes the trilogy seem really lopsided. Everyone is just going to call this Dark Knight 2 in casual conversation. "
    Who says it's a trilogy? "
    Nolan has said numerous times he is only making three Batman movies. So if DC/WB makes a Batman 4, it obviously wouldn't be a trilogy. But it is still Nolan's trilogy.
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ckal said:
    " @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " @PumpkinBomb said:
    Who says it's a trilogy? "
    Nolan has said numerous times he is only making three Batman movies. So if DC/WB makes a Batman 4, it obviously wouldn't be a trilogy. But it is still Nolan's trilogy. "
    Ah, well, I had not heard this news, thank you for clearing that up.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By ForbushBug

Not bad for a name, sorta tame though. I kinda wish they'd used "Intimidation Game," one of the names tossed around before they went with "Batman Begins." It just sounds cool.    
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ckal
    @The Mighty Monarch:  No problem. This isn't something he's said recently (that I know of), but something he has said in the past. Maybe he will change his mind, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
    4Essence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 4Essence

to me i thought it would have made more sense to call it the dark knight returns, it would have been the same thing more or less and would have harkened back to tradition, but I suppose that they didn't want people to think that this was a movie about the frank miller run.
    countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By countvontrey

And here I was hoping for Batman 3: Die Batman Die

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dondasch

I have no problem at all with the title or with the Riddler not being in the movie, as it's already been done.  Yes, the Riddler and Catwoman have been performed to death and there's really no reason for them to show up again.  Once again, I'll say that Bane should be the villain as I'm sure that Nolan can do the character justice.  If not Bane, then perhaps /shudder, Black Mask.  Female wise I'm hoping for Talia or Lady Shiva.

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

So happy Nolan stood his ground against 3D.  I love going to the cinema and when you see IMAX on the screen, I honestly find it more immersive than 3D films.  Those films have their place but usually comes off as gimicky, a bit camp if you will. That format runs against how I see the Nolan's Batverse.  

I'm hopeful for whoever's gonna be the antagonist this time round.  I could see the riddler, as he is now (the Gumshoe) but that would require a bit too much back story. I'd like to see Deadshot, Killer Croc or Black Mask.

All that said, let's be honest, it could be called Batarama, be in 3D, with Ten-Eyed Man and most of us would be curious enough to go and see it.

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By roadbuster
    @ckal: Another angle on it is that creators often put such things out there in the press to enhance their standing in contract negotiations, "Pay me more to compromise my creative vision and past statements" type deal.  Not saying Nolan is playing that game but it's a possibility.
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dondasch

And thank you Mr. Nolan for not shooting this movie in 3 D

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hamz

The name lacks creativity. Surely they could of come up with something that isn't just the previous film's name with an extra word on the end of it? 

Rabbit Tots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rabbit Tots
    Thank you! Nolan has answered out prays on what we see best that the movie should not be in 3D. And Dark Knight Rises...? Really? How about the Dark Knight Returns like how Frank Miller did in his comic book sequel?
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NXH

Didnt thikn it would be filmed in 3D. Or at least, i never gave it a moment thought.

As it has been confirmed that the Riddler isnt the main villain, first villIian that pops into my head is the black mask. But then again, the gerenal audience may not know who the black mask is and also with the red skull as the main villian for captain america, they may also think Chris Nolan is ripping that idea off. 
    Even so, I would still love to see black mask appear. Maybe killer croc, pengium or even hush would be amazing.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Icon
    @riotbananas said:
    I agree, it's a little lame. I'm sure the movie itself will turn out well though.
    AngieRoseWen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AngieRoseWen

What about Scarecrow? I liked him in the comics and Arkham Asylum.

weapon154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By weapon154

They should have the Riddler, Hush,or Calanderman, and Killercroc

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tyler Starke

Hush would be cool, but I don't know how will it could be adapted into nolans batuniverse, I really hope it's not catwoman

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definetly Doc Strange. Leading female may be Selina Kyle, but she won't be Catwoman FOR HELL'S SURE. Why won't You guys understand it - Christopher Nolan finally found the one and only right way of making great movies about Bruce Wayne, he will never put Catwoman in movie! She may just be a thief, but not such a cool costumed acrobat as she is in comics. AND THERE WILL BE NO KILLER CROC AS ALLIGATOR-LIKE MONSTER. Believe me.

Ninjistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ninjistic

They're making a sequel to the Joker movie? 
    Well, here's to hoping Batman shows up in this one.

Wingfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wingfoot

Nice (and legitimate) title, I like it. 

I keep one's fingers crossed. A lot. 

Hihane washte.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.