Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman 18-ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME ? (spoilers)

• 142 results
    Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By consolemaster001

This has been the biggest dissapointment since batman 17. The issue focuses on harper row for about 75% of it. If she becomes batman's partner i will drop this series.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@consolemaster001:Have you seen the solicit and cover for Detective Comics #21?

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By consolemaster001

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: YOU GOTTA BE F*** SH**ING ME !

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#4  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I seriously don't get why people are so up-in-arms over Harper and the possibility of her becoming the new Robin. I like her character and while I love/loved Damian as Robin (currently he's my favorite) I wouldn't mind Harper taking up the mantle with Damian's passing. 

Why is there so much hate for this character, who has barely had the chance to really grow since her appearance?

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
    Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I still don't understand why the majority of comic readers seem to hate Harper Row...

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

you should probably just save yourself the trouble and drop it now if you feel that way....most people are pretty certain that she's going to be the next Robin....I don't see how that is something that you feel you need to drop the series over though

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@consolemaster001: Fro the issues I've read of hers, she never really seemed like an action based character, and yet there she is fighting alongside Batman, dressed up like Catwoman without the goggles.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By consolemaster001

@danhimself: I'll be cool with it as long as she only appears in Batman and "Robin" (i put robin in quotation marks mind you)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

It's so awesome when untalented writers shoehorn their created characters down the reader's throat.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cap10nate

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray said:

I still don't understand why the majority of comic readers seem to hate Harper Row...

I don't think the 10-20 different people who post on the forums of their hate represent the majority of the 150K who purchase the book on a monthly basis. That being said . . . I'm not a big fan.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Saren

She's a spunky kid with a troubled family, a criminal father and she self-trains in the hope of being a Gotham vigilante. People liked that idea better when the character was called Stephanie Brown.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By daredevil21134

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

It's so awesome when untalented writers shoehorn their created characters down the reader's throat.

lol

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

I don't understand the rage. The issue was fine.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

yeah this is nothing like when Morrison shoved Damian down our throats

mhanuroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By mhanuroth

They are replacing damian this quick. Now robins are for batman tissues

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By evilvegeta74

@consolemaster001 said:

This has been the biggest dissapointment since batman 17. The issue focuses on harper row for about 75% of it. If she becomes batman's partner i will drop this series.

Get in line, I think sales will likely drop . Ignore me I'm a Damian fan.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By akbogert

People are absolutely over-reacting.

Snyder introduced Harper Row over a year ago. She's been popping up in his run consistently, albeit infrequently. It's not like she was created for the purpose of just filling a void. People who are forming their impression of her entirely based on her potential Robinhood (haha) are being unreasonable. If you didn't like her much before, fine, whatever, but if you did like her, this is hardly a reason to suddenly not.

Also, the mainline Batman book has already been established to be going back to his origins as of June, and lasting for almost a year's worth of issues. I don't think you need to worry about anything current factoring into that.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Why continue to read something you hate?

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UncleEmu

@@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Let us compare.

1) Damian is the son of Batman and Talia, a total brat and something we have never seen before. He is a very unique character that brought a lot to the table character wise and story wise.

2) Harper Row is an Oracle/Stephanie Brown combo with some piercings and hair dye. Sure, she hasn't been around long enough to really contribute, but I can't see what new things she will bring to the table.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer said:

I seriously don't get why people are so up-in-arms over Harper and the possibility of her becoming the new Robin. I like her character and while I love/loved Damian as Robin (currently he's my favorite) I wouldn't mind Harper taking up the mantle with Damian's passing. Why is there so much hate for this character, who has barely had the chance to really grow since her appearance?

Because she's barely had the chance to grow.

A while back she was showing up sporadically and being all techy and wonderful, and I liked her a lot and...

Cut to now. She's suddenly in a catsuit and jumping off rooftops? What???

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shackle

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

And therein lies the flaw with the Harper Row hate. Damian was indeed forced upon the fans, himself; you may have grown to like him, but he was forced, so you can't make the same argument about Row if you're a Damian fan. I think the writers miscalculated quite a bit with the death of Damian Wayne. He wasn't a universally liked character, therefore their attempt to make his death a huge deal is not making the impact they would have like. Sure, he has fans, but just as many absolutely hate his guts, and couldn't be happier that he's dead. He just isn't well liked enough to warrant a DC universe period of mourning; some care, but not enough to justify the wailing and water works the writers want to invoke.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SUNMAN

who is Harper Row?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By InnerVenom123

@shackle said:

@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

And therein lies the flaw with the Harper Row hate. Damian was indeed forced upon the fans, himself; you may have grown to like him, but he was forced, so you can't make the same argument about Row if you're a Damian fan. I think the writers miscalculated quite a bit with the death of Damian Wayne. He wasn't a universally liked character, therefore their attempt to make his death a huge deal is not making the impact they would have like. Sure, he has fans, but just as many absolutely hate his guts, and couldn't be happier that he's dead. He just isn't well liked enough to warrant a DC universe period of mourning; some care, but not enough to justify the wailing and water works the writers want to invoke.

It doesn't matter if he was "well liked" or not, he's Batman's son. Of course he's going to mourn him.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By consolemaster001

@inferiorego said:

I loved it up until now. I'll give my final judgement when 19 comes out

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By akbogert
    shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shackle

@InnerVenom123: Yes, Bruce Wayne will, but as far as fans--only the Damian fans care. It's not the HUGE EVENT that the writers/editors/front office of DC would like, because a lot of people never liked Damian in the first place.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By InnerVenom123

@shackle: Batman's only son died.

That is a huge deal, whether you liked him or not.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#28  Edited By Joygirl

This. I love Harper so far.

shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shackle

@InnerVenom123: No, not really. A character is only as important as what he means to a reader, not his relationship to another character. But I can see the error in your thinking--it's at the very heart of the creation of Damian in the first place, and why a large percentage of people don't care about him. "He's Batman's son, he MUST be important." That's why Damian was created, he was grandfathered importance, a legacy in the DC frat, instant DC royalty.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SUNMAN

@akbogert: laziness becomes me

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@War Killer said:

I seriously don't get why people are so up-in-arms over Harper and the possibility of her becoming the new Robin. I like her character and while I love/loved Damian as Robin (currently he's my favorite) I wouldn't mind Harper taking up the mantle with Damian's passing. Why is there so much hate for this character, who has barely had the chance to really grow since her appearance?

Because she's barely had the chance to grow.

A while back she was showing up sporadically and being all techy and wonderful, and I liked her a lot and...

Cut to now. She's suddenly in a catsuit and jumping off rooftops? What???

I do agree that having her suddenly in a random suit, fighting crime alongside Batman is a bit random, but I don't think it's fair to the character to judge her based off a cover. But until the issue comes out, we really can't comment on that.

But hopefully a majority of her character growth with take place under Snyder's pen (seeing as he was the one who created her).
    akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By akbogert

@War Killer: That description is actually referring to this issue. And she wasn't fighting alongside him, not really.

I hope Snyder gets a bit more time with her first before he goes back in time; evidently she'll be in Detective Comics as of this summer and that means someone else at the reins of a character I really hope I get to keep loving.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Trodorne

@inferiorego said:

this ^^

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Or35ti

Maybe she'll be the new Oracle with her tech skill. That i'd be on board with

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @akbogert said:

@War Killer: That description is actually referring to this issue. And she wasn't fighting alongside him, not really.

I hope Snyder gets a bit more time with her first before he goes back in time; evidently she'll be in Detective Comics as of this summer and that means someone else at the reins of a character I really hope I get to keep loving.

Yeah, but even there all it states is that she's accompanying him on a case, which isn't really out-of-character for her. But why she's in that suit is a but random.

I have a feeling she's going to be appearing in all of the bat-titles, seeing as Snyder's going to be working on Bruce's past in Zero Year for the next year or so. Most likely because Zero Year will be all in the past Snyder won't be able to do anything with the character until the storyline is over, so in the meantime she might be popping up in the different bat-titles for the next few months until the main Batman title shifts back to the present and Snyder can continue building the character from there.
    akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By akbogert

@War Killer: Aye, I hope no one misuses her in the interim. I'm ready to be in next year and seeing him back in the present already, honestly.

@Or35ti: I suggested that a while ago, and I think it would calm some people down. That said, between the combat training and an honest appraisal of her personality, I actually can't really picture Harper being the type to sit back and watch the action unfold from behind a computer screen. Maybe an on-the-go Oracle? But barring a catastrophe that forced her to stay put, I can't imagine she would.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @akbogert: I'm still looking forward to Zero Year, but I do hope no one misuses her in the meantime as well.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By danhimself

@UncleEmu said:

@@danhimself said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Let us compare.

1) Damian is the son of Batman and Talia, a total brat and something we have never seen before. He is a very unique character that brought a lot to the table character wise and story wise.

2) Harper Row is an Oracle/Stephanie Brown combo with some piercings and hair dye. Sure, she hasn't been around long enough to really contribute, but I can't see what new things she will bring to the table.

all I'm saying is that it's pretty dumb to complain about Harper being shoehorned down the reader's throat by her creator when Morrison did the exact same thing with Damian when he forced Tim out of his Robin position to put Damian front and center

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tomchu

Grant Morrison made us love Damian.

Here's my hope that Scott Snyder makes us love Harper Row.

Then again, I doubt Harper Row would BECOME a Robin (since Snyder mentioned in an interview she wasn't built for it), but I'm more or less certain that she would become an essential part of the Batman New-52-verse.

Its funny though how much the books revolve around Snyder's Batman. I mean, every other book tying into Night Of The Owls, Death of the Family? Now Harper Row (originated from Snyder's Batman) is in Detective Comics?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Eternal19

I dont really want her to be robin. i dont think she has skills to even be considered for the position of robin. I think with her tech skills it would make much more sense for her to be the new Oracle.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By spinningbirdcake

It's fashionable. I've noticed, as I'm sure plenty have, that in the "geek world" people tend to exaggerate their admiration and contempt for things, be it comics, movies, games etc. It's incredibly annoying.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

I don't think she should be anything.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bogey

I'm glad Damien died.. Hopefully he comes back as a Black Lantern and dies again. Harper Row ftw. She took a punch to this face from Batman when he was pms'ing.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By danhimself

I think it's funny that most of the stuff being said about Harper right now is the same stuff people were saying about Damian a few years ago

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer said:

I do agree that having her suddenly in a random suit, fighting crime alongside Batman is a bit random, but I don't think it's fair to the character to judge her based off a cover.

It's also in Batman 18. Her training has no build-up, we just... learn about it. And there she goes, catsuit and all, jumping across rooftops.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By John Valentine

Weak sauce, man, weak sauce.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By John Valentine

@danhimself said:

I think it's funny that most of the stuff being said about Harper right now is the same stuff people were saying about Damian a few years ago

Nah, bro.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By danhimself

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself said:

Nah, bro.

If you're saying that it's not the same stuff then you should look back through the forums around the time of his first appearance

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By wessaari

@CitizenBane said:

She's a spunky kid with a troubled family, a criminal father and she self-trains in the hope of being a Gotham vigilante. People liked that idea better when the character was called Stephanie Brown.

i like her, but thats what worries me the most

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By John Valentine

@danhimself said:

@John Valentine said:

@danhimself said:

Nah, bro.

If you're saying that it's not the same stuff then you should look back through the forums around the time of his first appearance

I'm saying that Damian was instantly a more appealing character to me. Harper just seems like any half-developed self-righteous side-kick wannabe to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.