Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batfamily's age?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

I'm trying to put together a rough timeline for Batman, Nightwing, Robin and the rest of the batfamily's ages... could anyone out there help me with Barbara Gordon, James Gordan and Azreal?

Here's what i've got so far...

Year One: Bruce is 25.

He invents the persona of Batman. (As listed in the back of the "Year One" TPB)

Year Three: Bruce is 27.

He takes Dick Grayson under his wing and Dick becomes the first Robin after some training. Dick is 13 when he is orphaned. For the next five years they are the Dynamic Duo of Gotham; meanwhile, Dick co-founds the Teen Titans with other costumed characters in his own age group.

Year Eight: Bruce is 32. Dick is 18.

Dick goes off to college, but initially keeps the identity of "Robin," sometimes operating alone, sometimes working with Batman again when feasible. Shortly after that, Batman meets Talia, and then Ra's al Ghul, for the first time. (As shown in reprinted stories in "Tales of the Demon.")

Year Nine: Bruce is 33. Dick is 19.

Dick gives up the Robin identity and becomes Nightwing. Jason Todd becomes Robin. Jason is about 13 at the time.

Year Ten: Bruce is 34, Dick is 20, Jason is probably 14

Jason dies in "A Death in the Family." Within a few months, Tim Drake pops up out of thin air and ends up in training to be the next Robin. ("A Lonely Place of Dying.") Tim is 13.

Year Eleven:

A timeline published in the last issue of the "Zero Hour" miniseries in 1994 states that Batman and Superman both began their superhero careers "Ten Years Ago." Zero Hour happened immediately after the Bat-titles had just spent more than a year telling us all the stories that were part of Knightfall, Knightquest, and Knightsend. (Although I think all of that happened in just a few months from the point of view of the characters.) Bruce Wayne is 35, Dick is 21, Tim is 14.

Year Thirteen "Today." Bruce is at least 37. Dick is 23 or 24. Barbara is 22

Tim, during the Infinite Crisis arc, stated that he had his birthday earlier that year, his 16th Birthday Party, so he's 16/17
    Barbara Gordon just turned 22 in the last issue of Nightwing

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

hmm I actually remember taht in a Grant Morrison interview that someone posted before Batman R.I.P started that they are now going with that Bruce was 30 when he started and it's been 15 years since he started his carreer.

Not sure though

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Methos

hmm... if you've got a link to that i'd be greatful

that would put him at a definite 43 now

M

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nighthunter

hmm 30 + 15=45 :P

and I checked, I was wrong, he started at 19-20 and is right now 35

Grant Morrison said:

When I started this story, my first idea was, “What if all the Batman adventures from the 1930s until now were all part of one guy’s life, and he’s really gone through all this stuff, and it’s happened over the space of, say, 15 years, potentially?” To make it all work and still keep Batman at his peak, I settled on him being about 35 right now, so let’s say he’s been Batman since he was 19 or 20 years old.
    http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/into-the-head-of-grant-morrsion/92-21945/#4

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By G'bandit

Actually Dick said he started Crime fighting at eight!!!!!!! I'm like WHAT?! Eight?!

What did you do to the bad guys dick? run them over with your Pow-Pow power wheels? O_O?

But yeah... I prefer to think he started at 13-14 better

Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

Barbara Gordon just turned 22 in the last issue of Nightwing, made me think about G-Man's theory, 21 years after introduction she was shot, and now it is 21 years later.

It's hard to place an age on the Bat Family as a good amount of the stories take place over the year, I.E. Bruce's recovery from the back injury, No Man's Land, 52.

TJUC123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@nighthunter: Grant Morrison comics are not what he is referring to. He is referring to what is usually written. Bruce Wayne usually starts his career as Batman at 25 years old. His data is correct.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aahz

@g_bandit said:

Actually Dick said he started Crime fighting at eight!!!!!!! I'm like WHAT?! Eight?!

The age when Dick became Robin varies a lot, 8 and 12 are the most common, and 12 seems more reasonable.

I posted here a text with more detail that covers everything from the golden age until rebirth.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: I don't think he'll comment bruh. It's been 8 years and the guy doesn't comment I guess.

dragonrampage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dragonrampage

@methos: he's 27 when he returns home from his travels.

In think he could go on until about sixty with good genetics for aging and he would have to lighten up on the fighting in the last ten year.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian is 13, that's for sure.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tjuc123 said:

@nighthunter: Grant Morrison comics are not what he is referring to. He is referring to what is usually written. Bruce Wayne usually starts his career as Batman at 25 years old. His data is correct.

At the time Grant Morrison was THE Batman writer. Since all of the canon went according to what was his take that was the most accurate information at that time. We´ve had one reboot (New 52) and one semi reboot (Rebirth) since then so it probably has changed by now.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aahz

To me the most plausible time line is something like that:

Birthdays:

Alfred Pennyworth 08.04. Year -49?

James Gordon 05.01. Year -39?

Bruce Wayne 19.02. Year -24

Selina Kyle 14.03. Year -18

Kate Kane ??.??. Year -16

Barbara Gordon 23.09. Year -12

Dick Grayson 21.03. Year -10

Helena Bertinelli ??.??. Year -10?

Cassandra Cain 26.01. Year -3

Jason Todd 16.08. Year -3

Stephanie Brown ??.??. Year -3?

Tim Drake 19.07. Year -2

Damian Wayne ??.??. Year 5?

Timeline:

Death of Bruce Parents 26.06. Year -16

Bruce becomes Batman 09.04. Year 1

Selina becomes Catwoman 07.08. Year 1

Death of Dicks Parents 27.06. Year 2

Dick becomes Robin 04.07.Year 3

Barbara becomes Batgirl ??.??.Year 6?

Bruce meets Jason 26.06. Year 9

Jason becomes Robin end of Year 9

Jason dies 27.04. Year 11

Helena becomes Huntress Summer Year 11

Tim appears Summer Year 11

Tim becomes Robin end of Year 11

Stephanie becomes Spoiler ??.??. Year 12

Cassandra becomes Batgirl ??.??. Year 13

Jason returns as Red Hood ??.??. Year 14

Damian becomes Robin ??.??. Year 15

It is not exactly precise and after year 11 it mostly ignores the time that passed in universe, since if you would do that you had ad around 4-5 additional years between year 11 and year 15, and than the ages wouldn't fir at all to the ones in the comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.